AoS 2 - Wanderers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

27 minutes ago, Arkanaut Admiral said:

The Wanderers are a faction I’m quite interested in.  What do you guys think is the future of the faction?  Dedicated battletome?  Part of a wider Aelve tome?  Merdged back with  sylvaneth?

Give it until they release the GHB2019, we'll be able to see what happens with the legacy model ranges there. It will probably provide a good indication of what they are planning.

With that said, GHB2019 might not even come out in June, if China keeps holding the books, terrain, and endless spells hostage.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Arkanaut Admiral said:

The Wanderers are a faction I’m quite interested in.  What do you guys think is the future of the faction?  Dedicated battletome?  Part of a wider Aelve tome?  Merdged back with  sylvaneth?

It doesn't appear that any merge will be happening soon with the new Sylvaneth battletome getting leaked (and nothing for us in there). Really hoping for a dedicated Wanderer battletome myself. Word was that all 'existing factions' will get an update of some kind within 2 years but it's unclear what exactly that means for the Wanderers. No real clue really of what GW wants to do with us, but many of the factions with General's Handbook allegiance abilities have gone on the get their own book. Here's to hoping we're in the pipeline somewhere, along with Seraphon, Free People, Dispossessed, and Ironjawz. 

Alright, I've gotten back from today's tournament at my FLGS, and my Wanderers managed to squeeze out two victories! I spent all last night rebasing my models - Wanderers look so nice on round bases. :3 

I took some notes after the games, they probably make no sense but they are pretty accurate.

My list was Nomad Prince(Artefact: Starcaster Longbow), WayWatcher, WayFinder(general - SotHW), WayStrider, SpellWeaver, 20 GG, 20 WildWood Rangers, 20 WWR, 5 Sisters of the Watch, 5 Wild Riders, 5 Sisters of the Thorn, and a Maelstrom (the model was unavailable, so I didn't use it in either game).

GAME 1: Blightlord Bullies  1190996100_wanderersvsblightlords.jpg.a2cf414173a7129b0fb15af52977820d.jpg 

I face this opponent pretty much every week I play, so we are both very familiar with each other's armies. The scenario was the one with the falling comets, one in turn 2 on the center line and two more on turn 3 in each deployment zone. Long story short, I hung back with everything and a unit of WWR and SotW on the far left side, having seen where he deployed - his top right flank was weak, and his two huge fat guys were in the middle, intent on plowing the whole field with both. I attempted a pretty vigorous refused flank, using my WF to teleport my WWR and SotW across the field to take the flank, where the first comet landed. All the big and small fat guys rumbled down the middle, and I pretty much fed them much of my army to hold them there while I gobbled points. The comets fell on the bottom right (utterly lost to me) and the top middle, and with time for the round running down I made a long move out and snagged the objective to secure victory. I lost about 1/2 my army to his without doing too much, but with Wanderers that's kind of how you have to do it.

It was a very fun game, and if it had gone longer, I suspect I would not have been able to win on points, being severely diminished, but it would probably have been down to double turns (there were none in this match, for the first time in a long while).

GAME 2: FEC Eating Elves and Yelling1183324441_wanderersvs_fec.jpg.bef9e17dc2abb6b05ded9fda43ca8742.jpg

I understand now why people dislike FEC. All those rerolls, bonuses, and stacking abilities, none of which can be responded to or countered, really make playing against them feel bad. I know their base stats aren't that great, but between the free summoning, free command abilities, free model replenishment, extra attacks, double pile-ins, and whatever, I was running on a pretty high level of salt for a while.

That said, the game itself went pretty okay - the scenario was 'burn the objectives' (no one likes this one either), and my goal was to pull my opponent in too many directions, since he was going fully aggressive with 9 crypt flappy guys and 9 crypt huge guys, a zombie dragon ghoul king, an Arch-Regend and a pile of summoned heroes. His objectives were only held by ten ghouls, so I basically went for a distraction gambit, teleporting a unit of WWR to the opposite corner and long-bomb charging them into an objective to tag it but not burn it in turn 1, while burning my own objective across from all the flying things.

This caused the flying units to double back to deal with them, and the crypt huge guys plowed into my lines and absolutely obliterated my other WWR and my WW in a grisly flurry of rerolls and double pile-ins. I lost my middle objective, but critically, my opponent was so excited to charge and murder me in the center he didn't charge on the top left.

This, combined with getting the double turn on turn 3, basically clinched the game for me - after burning the top left objective on my turn 2, I set up to charge his Ghoul Lord Zombie Dragon and butcher it with the 15 remaining WWR.  In my movement phase, I used SotHP to teleport my SotThorn across the field to tag the middle back objective along with the Wild Riders, who had zipped across the field on the previous turn. Also, the horrible crypt bullies who ate my elves perished to a full barrage from my SotWatch in the shooting phase, and combined fire from my GG and other heroes finished off his Arch-Regent. The bottom right objective was secure and there was very little chance of my opponent making it across the field to take it.

I think It would have been very close without the mistake on turn 2 from my opponent, but after my shooting phase my opponent cordially conceded the field.

In all, I'm very happy with how my Wanderers did, and the list worked pretty well overall. With smart deployment, going second doesn't really hurt that much for this army, and in AoS mobility wins the day every single time. Even with only one teleport a turn, combining it with Stalker of the Hidden Ways means no objective is out of reach and nothing is truly safe, especially with a 20-strong block of SotWatch. I will try to figure out a way to bring 10 WR in the list - I could potentially bring Yriel and her 3 caballeros instead of the SotThorn, but even though their spell didn't do much I really like their mobility and light shooting support. Hopefully the GHB2019 adjusts points to make list-building easier!

Edited by overtninja
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 7

Awesome battle reports @overtninja; and I love your doodles - very informative! Congrats on the wins, winning with Wanderers vs an army updated for AoS 2.0 requires some smart play and sacrificing the right pieces at the right time and is quite satisfying to pull off. Would love to see more doodle reports in the future!

I love my Sisters of the Thorn - right there with ya in hoping the new GHB makes some new army build options plausible/possible.

• Like 2

@overtninjaFirst of all, congrats on winning two games, that’s awesome and give me motivation to keep trying with my beloved tree elves. I really like the scribbled bat reps, even though I needed some time to make some sense of it. 😬

I only have one question about game 1 where you write “I attempted a pretty vigorous refused flank, using my WF to teleport my WWR and SotW across the field to take the flank”. How could you teleport 2 units at once? Or was it over two turns?

Anyway, awesome to read and if you have, I’d love to see photos of your army on new round bases. Long live the wood elves!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, martinwolf said:

@overtninjaFirst of all, congrats on winning two games, that’s awesome and give me motivation to keep trying with my beloved tree elves. I really like the scribbled bat reps, even though I needed some time to make some sense of it. 😬

I only have one question about game 1 where you write “I attempted a pretty vigorous refused flank, using my WF to teleport my WWR and SotW across the field to take the flank”. How could you teleport 2 units at once? Or was it over two turns?

Anyway, awesome to read and if you have, I’d love to see photos of your army on new round bases. Long live the wood elves!

It was over two turns - my opponent played the top right flank really weakly defended, with only a unit of blightknights and a chaos spawn to hold that end. I teleported the SotWatch on my first turn and shot a group of five blightknights down to two models, while my SotThorn had scooted up to shoot the spawn. The second turn, I sent a unit of WWR over, since the comet had landed at that point on that flank, and my opponent decided he'd rather push center and take out the rest of my forces - the terrain prevented swift movement to the right side of the table, and taking out my GG, the other WWR unit, and my WR left me with a very diminished force to contest the other two comets, both of which landed in more favorable positions.

I'm going to have to spend some time painting my forces before I want to show them - a lot of them are old metal models that are just base-coated, but that coat has flaked off in the 9 years I've owned them and needs some serious touch-ups. I use the old hairband Wild Riders and my SotWatch are old metal waywatchers, and my all my heroes are metal as well. Also, I used wardancers for my 2nd WWR unit - but I'd happily replace them, as they frankly aren't very good models imo - I just own a bunch from WHF8E. 😛

• Like 2

Well we're officially getting rules in the GHB19 (up for pre-order next saturday) so I'm confident we are not going to get canceled as an army. 

I am cautiously very excited. I hope for some more batallions and maybe some point drops (even though I'd rather we had better stats instead of sheaper units) but I know the GHB doesnt change profiles so we're stuck with the compendium era scrolls for a while yet...

Still excited.

• Like 1

@overtninjaThanks for the clarification! I played a 20 man WWR today for the first time. I proxied them for a test game. They really put out a lot of damage, especially with the rerolling 1s from the Nomad Prince. Might have to buy some models. 😄

Regarding the new GHB19, I’m really excited for any changes/improvements, no matter how small they are. 😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, overtninja said:

Assuming you meant my army, it was 20GG and then two units of 20 WWR, for 3 battlelines with a Waystalker general. I wrote it a bit confusingly, I think.

Ahh ok didnt know waystalker makes wwr battleline as general

7 minutes ago, captainhelion said:

I've used the same Glade Lord as my Nomad Prince, too! I put the Hawk on the same base, though. She's a gorgeous model, and I'm glad to see her still around :D

Yup + she uses the sword as if it was a shield. Becouse she's a Jedi.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aloth_Corfiser said:

Overall I try to contain my expectations on whatever "expanded rules" meant in the other preview

I am trying not to get my hopes up, part of me thinks that may not mean anything other than the same ol allegiance abilities. Would love a battalion or two or a spell lore though. Still hoping Sisters of the Thorn come down in points as well. Good thing contrast paints are here to help me paint up all the new models my Wanderer force will need. I think my main list is down 100 points just with the teased changes alone (whereas it went up last year with the increases to Spellweavers and Waywatchers). I should now have enough room for the 10 Wild Riders I've been wanting to play.

• Like 1

I am in an emotional rollercoaster mood between "the allegiance ability will remain just the same" and wild expectations like a spell lore. It just confirms that I have found the right faction :D
I always was a fan of small Battalions, they are such a nice way to roleplay too and give your army more identity. I pointed this out in the Community Survey, - I wonder how much impact the Survey as a whole had on this GHB.

• Haha 1

Like 👍 E.g. 100 Points for Wild Riders is in Expendables cost range imo. Run in, beat some face and smile benevolently when that Ratling Gun perforates the remains over and over. The Riders will be reborn from the mulch and the rest of the army went unmolested for a turn... 🎯 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aloth_Corfiser said:

image.png.1c0e2b10fc0f447daaa0b86aa7c68870.png

What do you all think about it? I am mildly excited, alas our beloved Aelves have become more horde-like than ever.
Overall I try to contain my expectations on whatever "expanded rules" meant in the other preview, I am hoping for maybe a Spell-Lore section. But oh well, ....^^

I think is a pretty conservative drop (WR should be 80pts, SotW should be 140pts), but it is still a drop in points and that makes me hope for the other units and for our battalion.

Wait and see

• Like 1

In a way I think this is merely keeping us in the game. As we were before... Not strong but competitive with the ability to win - if you played well and got some luck.

Excited to see what comes out, and these reductions are great, but they are not going to revolutionise us alone. 

• Like 1