AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

1 hour ago, Marvinmega said:

The winner posted on the Kharadron facebook group, it's apparently a clown car version. Nice to see instead of the Big blocks of Arkanauts. 

0iG2Llz.jpg

and over 50% points invested in ships and balloon boys! Go Team Flying Dwarfs!

On 8/18/2019 at 8:34 AM, Azamar said:

I pinned mine- it’s pretty easy to do (first thing I’d ever pinned) you just need a hobby drill, and use cut pieces of a paper clip for the pin. Has the added bonus that you can remove the flying stand for transport.

I pinned mine but if it rotates left or right it fall off :( maybe i drilled too deep cause the pin goes into the hollow boat.

On 8/12/2019 at 6:33 AM, MrCharisma said:

Just in case you missed it, I caught up with 3 fantastic KO players in  Gary Percival, Alexander Krohn & Ben Spinetti in this Faction Focus. These Sky Admirals talk through both the foundations of building a great army, customising it with command traits/artefacts/etc, and tactics. 

Awesome overview of the faction. Thanks for making it!

Also, shout out to the Aethercast Podcast mentioned in the video. It's a KO specific podcast, so I'm guessing many people on this forum would like it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kubrick54 said:

I’m the player that took CCBB! I’ll try to post a quick recap but I’ll be on Aethercast Saturday to discuss the event. Feel free to ask questions, I’ll do my best to answer them later tonight!

Ok! 

What was your go to strategy for deployment? 

What was the target priority with the drop ship party against your opponents?

What was the choice of going with this list instead of the block of arkanaut shooty list?

13 hours ago, Grudgebearer said:

Congrats on the win :)! I would be really interested in your basic tactic and unit Distribution between the two ships.

Also, was this a doubles tournament or a singles event?

Thanks in advance for your answer :)

Thanks! I won both doubles (partner was Fyreslayers) and singles. That list was for singles.

I put the 14 Thunderers and Khemyst aboard the Frigate and the balloons and 1 or 2 units of Arkanauts + Nav on the IC. I never took first turn except against a FEC player who deployed forward expecting to go first. Concentrate fire and used the Wardens to grab objectives.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Marvinmega said:

Ok! 

What was your go to strategy for deployment? 

What was the target priority with the drop ship party against your opponents?

What was the choice of going with this list instead of the block of arkanaut shooty list?

Usually, I would bait my opponent with my IC, which I deployed first with the meat of the army, and put it somewhere I did not want to put to force them to react accordingly. After that, I could redeploy it with Fleetmaster easily according to his deployment. Every game I played, I outdropped my opponent meaning I knew in advance if I wanted to go first or second and deploy accordingly.

For the target priority, it really depends on the scenario and the list. But I usually went for what I perceived was the heart of my opponent's army or big units if he had them. I ear busted a large block of 40 ghouls in a game but I also shot Jezzails, Deamonettes etc. Really depends...

As for the choice of boats over Arkanauts, a lot of things went into consideration. 1. I hate big blocks of units. 2. I don't have that many Arkanauts. 3. That build is slow, and in a tournament where basically only the objectives will decide the outcome of the game, I chose mobility instead of raw firepower. I don't want to spend over 600 points (40 Arkanauts and Khemyst) on a single static unit that dies to a swift breeze...I know it's a good combo but it's not my style.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Kubrick54 said:

Usually, I would bait my opponent with my IC, which I deployed first with the meat of the army, and put it somewhere I did not want to put to force them to react accordingly. After that, I could redeploy it with Fleetmaster easily according to his deployment. Every game I played, I outdropped my opponent meaning I knew in advance if I wanted to go first or second and deploy accordingly.

For the target priority, it really depends on the scenario and the list. But I usually went for what I perceived was the heart of my opponent's army or big units if he had them. I ear busted a large block of 40 ghouls in a game but I also shot Jezzails, Deamonettes etc. Really depends...

As for the choice of boats over Arkanauts, a lot of things went into consideration. 1. I hate big blocks of units. 2. I don't have that many Arkanauts. 3. That build is slow, and in a tournament where basically only the objectives will decide the outcome of the game, I chose mobility instead of raw firepower. I don't want to spend over 600 points (40 Arkanauts and Khemyst) on a single static unit that dies to a swift breeze...I know it's a good combo but it's not my style.

Awesome answer and congratulations for winning! 

A final thing, how did you deploy the frigate so the counter punch would have less impact, or did you lose that part of your army every time? 

3 hours ago, Marvinmega said:

Awesome answer and congratulations for winning! 

A final thing, how did you deploy the frigate so the counter punch would have less impact, or did you lose that part of your army every time? 

Only lost a handful of Thunderers the whole tournament. Basically, I would set up the Thunderers as far away from my target as I could, lapping around the ship but leaving the front of it open. I deployed the Khemyst alone in front on the 9 inch line. Have to find the sweet spot eveytime. That way, if my target survives, he more often then not has to charge the Khemyst (-1 attack) and the Frigate (possibly having them strike last) so I can retreat with the Thunderers. It happened this way in the doubles event against a horde of Plague monks. Did wonders!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Kubrick54 said:

Only lost a handful of Thunderers the whole tournament. Basically, I would set up the Thunderers as far away from my target as I could, lapping around the ship but leaving the front of it open. I deployed the Khemyst alone in front on the 9 inch line. Have to find the sweet spot eveytime. That way, if my target survives, he more often then not has to charge the Khemyst (-1 attack) and the Frigate (possibly having them strike last) so I can retreat with the Thunderers. It happened this way in the doubles event against a horde of Plague monks. Did wonders!

What was your loadout for the Endrinriggers?

19 hours ago, Kubrick54 said:

With the 2 ship setup, I tend to favor double frigate (mostly because its easier to transport them lol).  Do you think a build like yours would still work using double frigate, or did the size and firepower of the Ironclad play a decent part in your games?

38 minutes ago, Primus662 said:

With the 2 ship setup, I tend to favor double frigate (mostly because its easier to transport them lol).  Do you think a build like yours would still work using double frigate, or did the size and firepower of the Ironclad play a decent part in your games?

I never tried double frigates as I only own one...But I love the Ironclad. It has far better firepower and higher transport capacity. The 4+ save (Which the Frigate should have btw) is also a nice addition to hit. I also enjoy the Flagship rule to buff all the ships.

• Thanks 2

On 8/21/2019 at 7:09 PM, Kubrick54 said:

Thanks! I won both doubles (partner was Fyreslayers) and singles. That list was for singles.

I put the 14 Thunderers and Khemyst aboard the Frigate and the balloons and 1 or 2 units of Arkanauts + Nav on the IC. I never took first turn except against a FEC player who deployed forward expecting to go first. Concentrate fire and used the Wardens to grab objectives.

Hi, congratz man !

Would it be possible to have your 1kpts list that you used in doubles ?

Thanks a lot!

2 hours ago, Heaven_lord said:

Hi, congratz man !

Would it be possible to have your 1kpts list that you used in doubles ?

Thanks a lot!

Sure thing!

I ran Zilfin with There's no Trading but also the automatic 1 for Battlleshock (Don't remember the name atm)

Khemyst with Stickler for the Code and Aethershock Earbuster

2X10 Arkanauts with hooks

10 Thunderers with rifles

6 Endrinriggers with saws and rivet guns

Frigate with Cannon and Aetherspheric Endrins

13 minutes ago, Kubrick54 said:

Sure thing!

I ran Zilfin with There's no Trading but also the automatic 1 for Battlleshock (Don't remember the name atm)

Khemyst with Stickler for the Code and Aethershock Earbuster

2X10 Arkanauts with hooks

10 Thunderers with rifles

6 Endrinriggers with saws and rivet guns

Frigate with Cannon and Aetherspheric Endrins

Awesome, thanks a lot!

I plan to start this army and think it is a good start, is this list also playable un single 1000 pts games?

On 8/21/2019 at 8:42 AM, Kubrick54 said:

I’m the player that took CCBB! I’ll try to post a quick recap but I’ll be on Aethercast Saturday to discuss the event. Feel free to ask questions, I’ll do my best to answer them later tonight!

Congrats mate! I saw you streaming with CanKrohn recently too... solid insights