AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

I've been favoring Mhonar recently. The subfaction benefits aren't really anything much and there are limits on list building but Galeforce Stave is too good an artefact to pass up on especially in these smaller tables. If I can swing it, I run an Admiral as my Leader with Proclaimator Mask-Hailer for the free Command Point especially if I want that T1 sure-shot alpha with the Ironclad but its at least 2 Command Points (One for All out Attack, one more for the Re-roll 1s to Hit for the Ironclad) and the Ironclad Aethergold. I usually go with the Great Skyhook for the +2 charge with the Dealbreaker Ram in order to really kill something.

Spell in a bottle I feel isn't as good as before. Its a 180 points listbuilding nightmare sink for a spell that could easily get dispeled by numerous annoying Wizards like Teclis, Nagash and Morathi. Even a GUO could do it easily.

43 minutes ago, Badlander86 said:

I've been favoring Mhonar recently. The subfaction benefits aren't really anything much and there are limits on list building but Galeforce Stave is too good an artefact to pass up on especially in these smaller tables. If I can swing it, I run an Admiral as my Leader with Proclaimator Mask-Hailer for the free Command Point especially if I want that T1 sure-shot alpha with the Ironclad but its at least 2 Command Points (One for All out Attack, one more for the Re-roll 1s to Hit for the Ironclad) and the Ironclad Aethergold. I usually go with the Great Skyhook for the +2 charge with the Dealbreaker Ram in order to really kill something.

Spell in a bottle I feel isn't as good as before. Its a 180 points listbuilding nightmare sink for a spell that could easily get dispeled by numerous annoying Wizards like Teclis, Nagash and Morathi. Even a GUO could do it easily.

Units can only recieve one CA per phase phase. If you give re-rolls 1 to hit with On My Mark, Fire! (even if it's free with Proclamator Mask-Hailer), you can't give +1 to hit with All Out Attack. You can use that Khemist Special Triumph for re-rolls of 1 to Wound on the Shooting Phase too but you lose the Inspired one too...

You can combo +1hit/+1wound and re-rolls 1 to hit and wound on Skyfarers with All Out Attack (+1 hit, CA, Shooting Phase), Inspired (+1 Wound, Triumph, Shooting Phase), Aetheric Augmentation from a normal Khemist (re-rolls 1 to wound) and Bjorgen (re-rolls 1 to hit). But not sure if its worth, maybe on 15 thunderes?

I don't know, I need more games!!!

Edited by Beliman
Fixed, Wrong Triumph

34 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Units can only recieve one CA per phase phase. If you give re-rolls 1 to hit with On My Mark, Fire! (even if it's free with Proclamator Mask-Hailer), you can't give +1 to hit with All Out Attack. You can use that Khemist Special Triumph for re-rolls of 1 to Wound on the Shooting Phase too but you lose the Inspired one too...

You can combo +1hit/+1wound and re-rolls 1 to hit and wound on Skyfarers with All Out Attack (+1 hit, CA, Shooting Phase), Inspired (+1 Wound, Triumph, Shooting Phase), Aetheric Augmentation from a normal Khemist (re-rolls 1 to wound) and Bjorgen (re-rolls 1 to hit). But not sure if its worth, maybe on 15 thunderes?

I don't know, I need more games!!!

Thanks for the correction. +1 to Hit is strictly better that re-roll ones but its always good to have the option. I'd use the free command point on Repel all boarders after the charge if I succeed. Which I dunno, my dice have pain very cruel to me lately.

As for more games, get ready to see a lot more Lumineth and DoK. Morathi is still a problem that is hard to deal with and the Rally's Ability can swing the game in lot of ways. 

1 hour ago, Beliman said:

Wich enhancements do you think are the best ones? And how many do you think we need?

I used 2 enhancements: Staff of Ocular Optimisation and  Spell in the Bottle (Zilfin list with a Collector Khemist in a one big Battle Regiment).

The spell in a bottle is key, but you can free up a general trait, or take a third. I like bomblets or grudgebearer on a dirigible suit master. Both good for trying to nuke that key enemy. Always a sad day when the bomblets roll a one though XD.

17 hours ago, stratigo said:

I just read your most recent batrep and I think you missed where the FAQ broke thryng. The coalition units no longer gain the Thryng keyword, meaning they don't benefit from the grudges nor can they activatehonor the gods.

It is supremely annoying.

Blarg, I did miss that and just glossed over it as an amendment to one piece in my head. They've made a lot of changes that are sneakily breaking things. That pretty much tanks them then as the only point is getting Irondrakes that re-roll 1's to Hit and can do exploding 6's.

Only Allegiance I'm interested in otherwise is Barak-Mhornar. Privateer can give some work around to people playing other Alpha Strike armies and Galeforce Stave is actually a nuts Artifact with the smaller table and increased threat density from armies like SBGL. Other than that I'd rather build a Skyport, Zilfin is just on an old playstyle that's not going to work anymore.

The issue also remains as for what to do about native 3+ or 2+ Saves as KO cannot handle them on their own without relying on the opponent making a mistake. Maybe just take Bomblets and hope for the best. :P

1 hour ago, Gauche said:

Only Allegiance I'm interested in otherwise is Barak-Mhornar. Privateer can give some work around to people playing other Alpha Strike armies and Galeforce Stave is actually a nuts Artifact with the smaller table and increased threat density from armies like SBGL. Other than that I'd rather build a Skyport, Zilfin is just on an old playstyle that's not going to work anymore.

I think that unlocking battlelines is awesome, 15 Special Weapon Thunderers with Unleash Hell seems juicy and they don't need so much buffs.

1 hour ago, Gauche said:

The issue also remains as for what to do about native 3+ or 2+ Saves as KO cannot handle them on their own without relying on the opponent making a mistake. Maybe just take Bomblets and hope for the best. :P

My experience so far 🤣

1 hour ago, Beliman said:

I think that unlocking battlelines is awesome, 15 Special Weapon Thunderers with Unleash Hell seems juicy and they don't need so much buffs.

My experience so far 🤣

I'm thinking of running 2x10 Thunderers, never wanted them to be Battleline though. I like my Arkanauts and a 15 man unit means they're walking or all alone in a Skyvessel, or making that Skyvessel very ineffective.

Looking at options for killing durable Monsters/Heroes all I can see are Gotrek, Celestant-Prime, Bomblets + Hope, Irondrakes + Runelord, and that's it. Feels like that is going to be a big problem for the army, we just don't have that fighty or shooty piece with Rend 2 or better. There's not an overwhelming amount of those threats out there: VLoZD, Mawkrusha, Bastiladons, SCE Stuff, Mortarchs, and Archaon is about the extent (might have missed a few).

So thinking to KO it's basically either fight fire with fire, or ignore and kill other stuff. Redeploy and either multi-level Terrain or the Galeforce Stave seem like the choices to ignore stuff, that's not so bad. Then you can handle the defensively souped up offering and kill the others, if any. Remaining downside is Artifact for +1 Saves or similar effect combined with Mystic Shield, then you're back to square one. At least Mystic Shield can be interacted with.....

4 hours ago, Gauche said:

I'm thinking of running 2x10 Thunderers, never wanted them to be Battleline though. I like my Arkanauts and a 15 man unit means they're walking or all alone in a Skyvessel, or making that Skyvessel very ineffective.

Looking at options for killing durable Monsters/Heroes all I can see are Gotrek, Celestant-Prime, Bomblets + Hope, Irondrakes + Runelord, and that's it. Feels like that is going to be a big problem for the army, we just don't have that fighty or shooty piece with Rend 2 or better. There's not an overwhelming amount of those threats out there: VLoZD, Mawkrusha, Bastiladons, SCE Stuff, Mortarchs, and Archaon is about the extent (might have missed a few).

So thinking to KO it's basically either fight fire with fire, or ignore and kill other stuff. Redeploy and either multi-level Terrain or the Galeforce Stave seem like the choices to ignore stuff, that's not so bad. Then you can handle the defensively souped up offering and kill the others, if any. Remaining downside is Artifact for +1 Saves or similar effect combined with Mystic Shield, then you're back to square one. At least Mystic Shield can be interacted with.....

KO can skew into mortal wounds.

A key part of that is the WLV, still quite good even after a positioning nerf. 

Then there's a few ways to generate mortals in shooting, and a few more in combat. 

The main trick is killing a three plus save monster before it heals too much. Both the VLoZD and the mawcrusha have self healing based on damage, and archaon can just pop an ability, all on top of healing hero ability.

That said, the ironclad is also very hard to kill and can act as a counter to one big monster if you can buff it (but not archaon, he still rocks and rolls it the second he's in combat)

Like, I actually think the skyhook battleboat might be the way to go now for the mortal wound ram combined with bombs and hero attacks to take down a wounded monster hero.

The big issue is that I think the armies with big monster heroes are gonna start just taking two, and then whatchya gonna do? KO I believe can skew hard enough to eliminate one in a round or two, but them a lot of tools get expended.

Edited by stratigo

17 minutes ago, stratigo said:

KO can skew into mortal wounds.

A key part of that is the WLV, still quite good even after a positioning nerf. 

Then there's a few ways to generate mortals in shooting, and a few more in combat. 

The main trick is killing a three plus save monster before it heals too much. Both the VLoZD and the mawcrusha have self healing based on damage, and archaon can just pop an ability, all on top of healing hero ability.

That said, the ironclad is also very hard to kill and can act as a counter to one big monster if you can buff it (but not archaon, he still rocks and rolls it the second he's in combat)

Like, I actually think the skyhook battleboat might be the way to go now for the mortal wound ram combined with bombs and hero attacks to take down a wounded monster hero.

The big issue is that I think the armies with big monster heroes are gonna start just taking two, and then whatchya gonna do? KO I believe can skew hard enough to eliminate one in a round or two, but them a lot of tools get expended.

I don't think KO skews into MWs well, it can be done but it's not effective in my eyes. WLV is going to get you nothing more than 2d3 usually, I don't gamble for 6's on the targets you need, but a smart opponent with a capable army will screen the things they care for off from the Endless Spell. So you're either dropping it later, when the Monsters are already rolling around, or sooner to limited effect. I don't hate Endrinmasters in some kind of Skyvessel as a weird little Combat loadout but the issue is they all have to activate singularly so again a smart opponent will try to kill the ones that haven't fought (with a CA to act at full Profile to boot, most likely,, since we're talking Monsters). Something Archaon or Nagash size you just ignore and accept the free win, I'm more worried about the ones where you can take them and still have an army.

With two Monsters I actually think it's EASIER to deal with them unless they have multiple Artifacts/Traits to ignore Rend or somehow nerf shooting. If I have two VLoZD and +1 Save via Artifact to one, the other is the target. If you AoD it then I'm still on 3's to Save after Rend, acceptable, so they have to Mystic Shield or something and make them equally unappealing. But at least some of those things have counter-play, I'd be more interested in taking Geminids for example because then I at least guarantee no Commands, I'm getting my damage off the back end instead of front-loading with another Endless Spell.

I guess the good news is besides those kind of configurations, which I don't think will be ever-present, KO can handle basically everything and rocks. Just gotta figure out these pieces, hopefully through more games. :]

It's not just big 3+ save monsters that I can't kill. Slaves to Darkness with Mark of Tzeentch are a bunch of dudes that just don't want to die. I don't know their abilities, but I couldn't even kill a 20 man-blob.

I'm going to change my lists to take bomblets and look for more ranged mw output.

2 hours ago, Beliman said:

It's not just big 3+ save monsters that I can't kill. Slaves to Darkness with Mark of Tzeentch are a bunch of dudes that just don't want to die. I don't know their abilities, but I couldn't even kill a 20 man-blob.

I'm going to change my lists to take bomblets and look for more ranged mw output.

StD have a LOT of save buffing abilities. Like a lot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thorstine said:

Anyone given Gotrek a go? Also wondering if allying in a rune lord with curse might help with some mw output on arkanaut pistols (getting the rune lord in range might be difficult)

I've played him in a few games, he's good but he still felt very expensive and slow. I think he'd do better if you played a foot style KO army, along with the Runelord and some other pieces. He will also just die to armies that can put out a lot of decent ranged attacks, people still seem to think Terrain shouldn't exist in AoS games.

---------------------------------------------------------

Question about various parts of the Flying Transport rule now that we are post FAQ. As I read and understand it Skyvessels have nothing to do with Garrisons for the most part, we can leave during the Movement Phase as long as the Skyvessel itself hasn't moved for example. But that also seems to suggest we can't start models inside Skyvessels since there is no allowance for that UNLESS they're part of the same Warscroll Battalion, which are illegal for Matched Play. This would preclude something like Alpha Beast Pack from having any use since you'd be Fly High'ing empty boats. The only way I see around that is if we are Garrisons and then we take the bad parts of that too. Really wish the FAQ had done a better job of explaining the interaction.....

1 hour ago, Gauche said:

I've played him in a few games, he's good but he still felt very expensive and slow. I think he'd do better if you played a foot style KO army, along with the Runelord and some other pieces. He will also just die to armies that can put out a lot of decent ranged attacks, people still seem to think Terrain shouldn't exist in AoS games.

---------------------------------------------------------

Question about various parts of the Flying Transport rule now that we are post FAQ. As I read and understand it Skyvessels have nothing to do with Garrisons for the most part, we can leave during the Movement Phase as long as the Skyvessel itself hasn't moved for example. But that also seems to suggest we can't start models inside Skyvessels since there is no allowance for that UNLESS they're part of the same Warscroll Battalion, which are illegal for Matched Play. This would preclude something like Alpha Beast Pack from having any use since you'd be Fly High'ing empty boats. The only way I see around that is if we are Garrisons and then we take the bad parts of that too. Really wish the FAQ had done a better job of explaining the interaction.....

you can deploy inside of garrisons. The people arguing you can't are using moon logic.

Edited by stratigo

2 minutes ago, stratigo said:

you can deploy inside of garrisons. The people arguing you can't are using moon logic.

I need quotes from the relevant rules saying you can do EVERYTHING you want to do. If the Skyvessels don't follow Garrison rules then we can't start inside them, if they do then we can't get out of them whenever we want. It can't be both ways from how I read the rules, can you please go into extreme detail with citations why you believe things work the way they do?

Not only for my own education, but so I have something to point to when playing games.

Edited by Gauche
Extrapolation

19 hours ago, Gauche said:

We had a long conversation with other fellow KO players, and we agreed that we can still put some people inside. The main argument was that, even if our Skyvessels are not a Terrain feature, they can be garrisoned. We understand that this means that our ships follow the same rules as a garrison (but they are not a Terrain Feature). If that's the case, the rules for joining a garrison says:

During deployment, a friendly unit can be set up in a defensible terrain feature’s garrison if the terrain feature is wholly within an area in which friendly units can be set up.

In other words, we need to first set-up an skyvessel before garrisoning it.
The Battle regiment Batallion, even with one drop, has diferent rules than our old 2.0 battalions, it allows us to put some dudes inside our ships without any FAQ. Instead of deploying all the units from that battalion at the same time:

If a core battalion has the Unified icon (see right), then after you set up a unit from the battalion, you must set up all of the other units from the battalion, one after the other, and you are not allowed to set up units that are not part of the battalion until all of the units in the battalion have been set up.

The only conflicting part is when can we leave from our ships?

A friendly unit in a garrison can leave the garrison at the end of your movement phase

VERSUS

Units cannot join or leave this model’s garrison if it has made a move or flown high in the same phase (they can join or leave before it does so)

If you think that both rules are contradictories (that's a big IF), the battletomes-warscrolls overide the core rules. That was put on debate and we thought that it should be allowed (previously asking your TO, if necessary).

Not sure if I answered anything or if I missed any other argument, but it's all I remember.

Edited by Beliman
grammar

3 minutes ago, Beliman said:

We had a long conversation with other fellow KO players, and we agreed that we can still put some people inside. The main arguments were that, even if our Skyvessels are not a Terrain feature, it can be garrisoned. We understand that this means that our ships follow the same rules as a garrison (but they are not a Terrain Feature). If that's the case, the rules for joning a garrison says:

In other words, we need to first set-up an skyvessel before garrisoning it.
The Battle regiment Batallion, even with one drop, has diferent rules than our old 2.0 battalions, it allows us to put some dudes inside our ships without any FAQ. Instead of deploying all the units from that battalion at the same time:

The only conflicting part is when we can leave our ships?

VERSUS

If you think that both rules are contradicting itself, the battletomes-warscrolls overide the core rules. That was put on debate and we thought that it should be allowed (previously asking the TO if necessary).

Not sure if I answered anything or if I missed any other argument, but it's all I remember.

I guess I'm on a similar wave-length in I think it works that way just because I've been playing GW games for so long and I have a good "feel" for what they intend which is almost always correct. But the rules are very, very murky on this one while also being of extreme importance. It's something I would check with a TO before going to an event for sure, it's that murky. I will likely play it this way until either another consensus is made or we get a better FAQ/new book but I just wish I felt better about it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gauche said:

I guess I'm on a similar wave-length in I think it works that way just because I've been playing GW games for so long and I have a good "feel" for what they intend which is almost always correct. But the rules are very, very murky on this one while also being of extreme importance. It's something I would check with a TO before going to an event for sure, it's that murky. I will likely play it this way until either another consensus is made or we get a better FAQ/new book but I just wish I felt better about it.

The only murkiness is the reference to defensible terrain. Ships are garrisons (in bold), and the only definition of garrisons is in the core book (And if it isn't, there literally isn't anything that says you can't put units inside it). Just they have a specific modification to when units can get in and out of them.

Now, sure, I suspect you will have people using troll logic to try and be giant dicks about the word defensible terrain. And if any TO goes with these people, that TO really shouldn't be one. I guess this is up to how you feel about your TOs

Hey all. 

Due to GW/FW not updating my beloved Legion of Azgorh (and my Fyreslayers taking a hit), I decided to dig into the ummm 3000pts of KO I've had in boxes for the last year and a half.  After over half a dozen games with Mhornar, the FAQ has me trying this list for Barak Zilfin.

The strategy is deploy the 2 ironclads initially for my first 2 drops for alpha beast pack, then the battle regiment to fill them with 10 thunderers/khemist.  For the pre-game move, we can fly high (rules as written), and then in hero phase I can Zilfin move one up close to the enemy.  Start of the movement phase, I'd unload the 2 x 10 thunderers within 6" of the ships with the khemists and unload.  I'd have that castle on their frontlines and should be able to tag mid-backfield key units and react when I'm charged with unleash hell and the last word endrinwork.  Realistically I'd hope for a battering ram charge for distraction/tagging units as well with the ironclad that's only 3" away (assuming I can gun off the screen).

This has the flexibility to go first or second, depending on how the enemy would counter-deploy.  If they go heavy on the one side and are poised to take first, then the Ironclads' pre-game will be going to the opposite end, or away from a rival skyvessel with a bottle-khemist in it.

Thoughts?

Allegiance: Kharadron Overlords
- Sky Port: Barak Zilfin
- Grand Strategy: Predator's Domain
- Triumphs:
Aether-Khemist (90) in Battle Regiment
- General
- Command Trait: Master Commander
- Artefact: Staff of Ocular Optimisation
10 x Arkanaut Company (100) in Battle Regiment
- 1x Skypikes
- 1x Light Skyhooks
- 1x Aethermatic Volley Guns
- 1x Skypikes
- 1x Light Skyhooks
- 1x Skypikes
- 1x Light Skyhooks
10 x Grundstok Thunderers (270) in Battle Regiment
- 2x Aetheric Fumigators
- 2x Decksweepers
- 2x Aethercannons
- 2x Grundstok Mortars
- Reinforced x 1
- 2x Aetheric Fumigators
- 2x Decksweepers
- 2x Aethercannons
- 2x Grundstok Mortars
- Reinforced x 1
Arkanaut Ironclad (490) in Alpha-Beast Pack
- Main Gun: Great Sky Cannon
- Great Endrinworks: The Last Word
- Great Endrinworks: Zonbarcorp 'Dealbreaker' Battle Ram

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 2 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 116

Edited by Black_Fortress_Immortal

8 hours ago, Beliman said:

@Black_Fortress_Immortal

2 Ironclad lists!! I love it!!
Btw, Master Commander can only be taken by an Arkanaut Admiral. Maybe you can replace that trait for Collector and maybe replace your second khemist with a Navigator + Flarepistol?

Yep.  Sadly, I can't fit a Navigator.  So Khemist with ventplates to help counter enemy ranged attacks would be nice for when they come out on foot.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 3:29 AM, Black_Fortress_Immortal said:

Hey all. 

Due to GW/FW not updating my beloved Legion of Azgorh (and my Fyreslayers taking a hit), I decided to dig into the ummm 3000pts of KO I've had in boxes for the last year and a half.  After over half a dozen games with Mhornar, the FAQ has me trying this list for Barak Zilfin.

The strategy is deploy the 2 ironclads initially for my first 2 drops for alpha beast pack, then the battle regiment to fill them with 10 thunderers/khemist.  For the pre-game move, we can fly high (rules as written), and then in hero phase I can Zilfin move one up close to the enemy.  Start of the movement phase, I'd unload the 2 x 10 thunderers within 6" of the ships with the khemists and unload.  I'd have that castle on their frontlines and should be able to tag mid-backfield key units and react when I'm charged with unleash hell and the last word endrinwork.  Realistically I'd hope for a battering ram charge for distraction/tagging units as well with the ironclad that's only 3" away (assuming I can gun off the screen).

This has the flexibility to go first or second, depending on how the enemy would counter-deploy.  If they go heavy on the one side and are poised to take first, then the Ironclads' pre-game will be going to the opposite end, or away from a rival skyvessel with a bottle-khemist in it.

Thoughts?

- Triumphs:
- General
- Command Trait: Master Commander
- 1x Skypikes
- 1x Light Skyhooks
- 1x Skypikes
- 1x Light Skyhooks
- 1x Skypikes
- 1x Light Skyhooks
- 2x Aetheric Fumigators
- 2x Decksweepers
- 2x Aethercannons
- 2x Grundstok Mortars
- Reinforced x 1
- 2x Aetheric Fumigators
- 2x Decksweepers
- 2x Aethercannons
- 2x Grundstok Mortars
- Reinforced x 1
- Great Endrinworks: The Last Word
- Great Endrinworks: Zonbarcorp 'Dealbreaker' Battle Ram

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 2 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 116

Definitely been considering a similar list. Frigates are just god-awful and feel like a huge tax in my current army, their output is garbage for the cost. My Ironclad on the other hand can actually handle being Charged, doesn't need AoA (although it's welcomed), and has more than double the output for less than double the cost.

KO seem to be living off just a few units at the moment but boy are those units good.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Gauche said:

Definitely been considering a similar list. Frigates are just god-awful and feel like a huge tax in my current army, their output is garbage for the cost. My Ironclad on the other hand can actually handle being Charged, doesn't need AoA (although it's welcomed), and has more than double the output for less than double the cost.

KO seem to be living off just a few units at the moment but boy are those units good.

I found that Arcane Tome on a khemist seems more versatile for the unbind + mystic shield for an all-comers list approach.

Yep, so I figure maximize that which is good.  Did a game vs. Maggotkin tonight and tabled the opponent, maxing every turn and gaining my grand strategy, losing only 2 x 10 arkanauts and 1 khemist.  He took Rotigus, GUO x 2, 50 plaguebearers, 4 pusgoyles and was summoning plaguebearers around.  Best seemed to be the foot thunderers that I charged into combat to set up for next turn with all out attack, the +1 mixed weapon bonus, and +1 wound rolls triumph with khemist rr1 to wound.  2 units of foot thunderers in combat with a block of plaguebearers that are tagged to be -1 hit rolls going into all out defense for 3+ save thunderers allowed them to survive. 

This list is extremely good imo, but I need to practice with it more.

Turn 1: He out-dropped me so I deployed Arkanauts far enough back to where I could run 6" and get center objectives as needed if he did indeed give first, I then did my pre game alpha beast pack normal move to fly high to far end of board where I was in range of Rotigus and a block of 20 plaguebearers and a 10 block, but bunched together near terrain so charging would result in a Last Word and Unleash Hell, with Rotigus at a further charge distance.  He went first and nabbed the objectives.  I countered with a hero phase move of the battering ram IC, triumph buff an IC, disembarked the thunderers near obj and within range of Rotigus and the PB squads, all-out attack and inspired on the IC to help down Rotigus, and fired everything else into the PBs on foot, charging onto the objective that had 1 PB left to take it from him. 

Turn 2: I then double turned, re-embarked into the ICs, flew high to the opposite end of the board, moved up the arkanauts to fire and charge into the remaining PBs where the thunderers weakened them (arkanauts failed so many rolls), but all-out defense and survived, as the ICs and Thunderers pecked away at the super-buffed GUO general, leaving 2 wounds or so for an IC battering ram charge and bomb-drop to take the other objs.  He countered with some pusgoyle action and summoning, taking out an arkanaut unit.

Turn 3: I was given priority as he burned an objective (which was smart as I barely maxed this turn), disembarked the foot thunderers, took out the remaining GUO and some PBs after 1 IC flew high back to the other end to pressure an enemy home objective, charged the Thunderers into another 20 man of daemons with khemist (they were hitting poorly at this point), and arkanauts took mid.  He countered with pusgoyle move and charge and some piddly plaguebearer hits.

Turn 4: I got priority and flew high IC for the far end remaining obj, killed all remaining PBs with all-out attack and inspired Thunderers that were tagged in combat with the remaining PBs and unloaded into the pusgoyles.  Charged in my khemist and remaining arkanauts into pusgoyles in mid to tie them up as I held far ends and he was left with a few models in mid.

Turn 5: He won priority which didn't help much at this point as he was able to take out the khemist and second unit of arkanauts in mid.  I then responded with a tabling blow and held all objectives.

We both maxed our turns on 1-3, and 4-5 I was able to pull the lead and deny points.  His summoning did work, as did his key burning of an objective that I held, since the priority objective that counted as 2 was one that he was able to snag, along with 1 more for holding 3/5 technically.  Picking proper secondaries such as destroying key units initially is important, as the mobility ones we can make up later.  Ended 29-16, my favor.

Key points to take away were:

- Arcane Tome for the unbind prevented his mystic shield, and kept one up on a squad of Thunderers and IC that I was aiming to charge into combat

-Foot thunderers are gross in terms of damage output for their cost, especially if in combat and with buffs

-2 Ironclads that can place shots is super key

-Combination of hero phase movement and a movement phase disembark adds so much to the list's effectiveness

-Pusgoyles are actually very useful now

-New daemon locus for +1 save simply for being near a daemon hero for nurgle with the -1 hit on PBs made them pretty tanky unless you focus down the hero

Although Mhornar and Zon are my favorite, I feel like this will be my go-to for events until an inevitable FAQ that makes alpha beast pack a "move up to d6"

Edited by Black_Fortress_Immortal

2 minutes ago, Btimmy said:

What was your list?

- Triumphs:
- General
- Command Trait: Collector