- Sky Port: Barak Nar

Leaders
Aether-Khemist (90)
Aether-Khemist (90)
- General
- Trait: Champion of Progress
Endrinmaster with Dirigible Suit (220)
- Artefact: Aethercharged Rune
Brokk Grungsson Lord-Magnate of Barak-Nar (240)
Bjorgen Thundrik (140)

Battleline
10 x Grundstok Thunderers (240)

Units
1 x Grundstok Gunhauler (150)
- Great Endrinworks: Coalbeard's Collapsible Compartments
6 x Endrinriggers (200)
4 x Thundrik's Profiteers (0)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 95

A Barak Nar Grundstok foot list: a Legit list? Just bouncing some ideas in my head while waiting earlier today. I thought this could be a workable alternative list. More traditional AoS deployment with grundstok marching up the table with a khemist embedded in each squad.  The 2 gunhaulers will carry everyone else with Brokk (with reroll charges!) 

The core of the list 2-3 blocks of thunderers with a khemist (660-990 points), your "strike" team can be anything you prefer.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Qaz said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Allegiance: Kharadron Overlords

Leaders
Aether-Khemist (90)
Aether-Khemist (90)
- General
Brokk Grungsson Lord-Magnate of Barak-Nar (240)
Bjorgen Thundrik (140)

Battleline

Units
- Great Endrinworks: Coalbeard's Collapsible Compartments
6 x Endrinriggers (200)
4 x Thundrik's Profiteers (0)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 95

A Barak Nar Grundstok foot list: a Legit list? Just bouncing some ideas in my head while waiting earlier today. I thought this could be a workable alternative list. More traditional AoS deployment with grundstok marching up the table with a khemist embedded in each squad.  The 2 gunhaulers will carry everyone else with Brokk (with reroll charges!) 

The core of the list 2-3 blocks of thunderers with a khemist (660-990 points), your "strike" team can be anything you prefer.

I really don’t know.  On the one hand, your gunline has 60 wounds behind a 4+, so it should have some staying power.  On the other, that’s $240 and a lot of points of thunderers, so I’m certainly not all that tempted to give it a whirl 😜.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record (what can I say, it’s been a couple slow days at the office), I also play Ogor Mawtribes, so I find myself looking at lists through the lens of “does that scare my Ogors?”

From that mindset, I don’t think this list scares me.  It is, however, definitely interesting.  On the one hand, putting 4 Stonehorns into your gunline is going to ruin your day really fast, on the other, taking second turn to ensure that I make those charges means your gunhaulers and endrinriggers can drop in and mess up my plans.

Ultimately I think it is (sorry to keep using this word) interesting, but would suffer due to the lack of a screen.  There are a lot of melee threats that have a longer threat range than Thunderers, so having some kind of a speed bump would serve you well.  However, I have no idea what that speed bump would look like, unless you dropped a Khemist and tossed in some arkanauts.

4 minutes ago, FatherTurin said:

Ultimately I think it is (sorry to keep using this word) interesting, but would suffer due to the lack of a screen.  There are a lot of melee threats that have a longer threat range than Thunderers, so having some kind of a speed bump would serve you well.  However, I have no idea what that speed bump would look like, unless you dropped a Khemist and tossed in some arkanauts.

Maybe use some liberators or sequitors  for screening and speed bumpers? Or whatever other reliable order tarpit you can use as allies? 

It might be interesting barak thyryng infantry list. Some heartguard or auric berserker for screening, thunderers for firepower, arcanauts for holding your objective and riggers for capturing enemy's objective and support. Then adding khemist, navigator and admiral for keeping all of them alive and voila. 

Allegiance: Kharadron Overlords

Leaders
Aether-Khemist (90)
Aetheric Navigator (100)
Arkanaut Admiral (140)
Aether-Khemist (90)
- General

Battleline
10 x Arkanaut Company (90)
- 1x Skypikes
- 1x Light Skyhooks
- 1x Aethermatic Volley Guns
- 1x Aetheric Fumigators
- 2x Decksweepers
- 2x Aethercannons
- 1x Grundstok Mortars
6 x Skywardens (200)
- 3x Aethermatic Volley Guns
- 2x Skyhooks
- 1x Grapnel Launchers
6 x Endrinriggers (200)
- 2x Skyhooks
- 1x Grapnel Launchers
6 x Endrinriggers (200)
- 2x Skyhooks
- 1x Grapnel Launchers
- 1x Skypikes
- 1x Light Skyhooks
- 1x Skypikes
- 1x Light Skyhooks
- 1x Aetheric Fumigators
- 2x Decksweepers
- 2x Aethercannons
- 1x Grundstok Mortars

Total: 1990 / 2000
Wounds: 113

Maybe something like that?

- Each thunderers squad gets it's own Arkanaut screen, and khemist buff. Other Arkanaut Company hold your objective. While ark-thunder formation march forward to get better position for better weapons  and give support with rifles. When something charges Arkanauts it should be hit by minus to hit aura and give thunderers additional attack in the next round. 

- Skywardens are there for support and reacting 

- baloonmaster goes where his support is needed and gives no batlleshock aura

- Endrinriggers are for heavy lifting, and special weapons are there for giving them some flexibility and for +1 to charge and disabling enemy's retreat

- Admiral and navigator keep first Arkanaut squad safe 

This plan has as many holes as Swiss cheese, but it might be fun to play. 

1 hour ago, FatherTurin said:

Bear in mind, this is my gut feeling with literally no math to back it up, so take that for what it’s worth.

If you are putting them in a boat, all rifles, maybe a single fumigator as insurance if you do have to unload them.

If they are going on their own, 1 fumigator, 1 deck sweeper and as many mortars and cannons as you can fit in the squad.

I think the 18” reach in the rifles is big, even when they’re out of the ship. I’m feeling 8 rifles and 2 fumigators at the moment for some protection once they do get out, but then they’re still a threat to other objectives too if your opponent isn’t careful. 

30 minutes ago, FatherTurin said:

At the risk of sounding like a broken record (what can I say, it’s been a couple slow days at the office), I also play Ogor Mawtribes, so I find myself looking at lists through the lens of “does that scare my Ogors?

Honestly, and ogors will be my  tournament army for the foreseeable future, ogors are kind of the angst-gegner. That one unexpected opponent where suddenly the normal play doesn’t work. No real synergies to take apart. No real reliance on hero’s. The big bad Frostlord with ethereal ignores all our rend. Ogors are fast. 8 of any ogors on the charge perfectly capable to take out a frigate. (Or at least force your share onto your saves) 
It’s going to take three turns at least to take them off all objectives and not many scenarios allow for you to win after that. 
but I have to play the match up a couple of times to see if my gut feeling 🙊 holds true. . Really excited for my next to game days. A mate will play my KO against me, so it’s exactly this match up. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kramer said:

The big bad Frostlord with ethereal ignores all our rend.

Then maybe Gunhaulers with  drill canons? I have no idea if it would reliable against ice cows, lucky guess. 

Everything that ignores rend is so troublesome. Did any of you play against nighthunt already? Any suggestions? 

Just now, Borsuk said:

Then maybe Gunhaulers with  drill canons? I have no idea if it would reliable against ice cows, lucky guess. 

Everything that ignores rend is so troublesome. Did any of you play against nighthunt already? Any suggestions? 

That's the beauty of the Stonehorn.... it's also got a 5+ ward save. The Terrain will likely heal it at least once d3 wounds. And that's only the defensive side of it. On the charge it would average 3,5 mortal wounds (but can fish for higher for a command point), with the command trait: Metal cruncher it does d6 mortal wounds against a 4+ or better armour save opponent at the start of the combat phase. And then its attacks. 

Now i'm not saying it Ogors are that amazing. A solid 3-2 or 2-3 army at tournaments i'm guessing. But it strangely counters a lot of our strengths. (again on paper, haven't played them yet). 

Here is my take on a footsloggers list. 

Barak nar 

khemist- champion of progress, A-rune

khemist

navigator

Knight- venator 

thunderers x 20 full special 

thunderers x 20 full special 

arkos x 10

arkos x 10

gunhauler- drill cannon

gunhauler- drill cannon

gunhauler- drill cannon

i honestly don’t know wth you would do vs another gunline, you’d probably get outranged pretty easily, I have some interesting screening ideas for turtling though. 

Gunhaulers to either go hero sniping or playing objectives. 

By  the time  I get my 3 sc boxes for the haulers I would have enough thunderers to run this list. 

Not sure if  its really playable but you’ll definitely raise some eyebrows when you tell your opponent your running ko and this is what you end up putting down  

“oh you tailored in a bunch of chaff.... oops...”

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cauthon said:

Not sure if  its really playable but you’ll definitely raise some eyebrows when you tell your opponent your running ko and this is what you end up putting down  

I guess this is our famous list building flexibility. :D

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Borsuk said:

By the love of Grungni. That sounds brutal. So it looks like you need some screens and bunch of luck. Please let us know how that end. Friend of mine is starting ogor army and I want to be prepared. 

If you know a little bit more about his list i'll be happy to advice and point out things to look out for. 

the real kicker, imo,  is the amounts of wounds if he goes more gutbusters it goes fast. For my roughly 1200pts core of my army I have 120 wounds at 5+ or 4+ save. 😅

Edited by Kramer

3 minutes ago, Borsuk said:

He's still building them, so the storm is coming. So far he get feast of bones ogor half, some additional gutbusters, butcher, meneaters and star collecting box. He's after mixed tribe, but all his options look like ton of bricks. 

Oh they are a ton of bricks... but they're not ton of bricks with sparkles on top. Like for example Ironjawz or Slaanesh. Both hit like a ton of bricks but have crazy shenanigans on top of it. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Borsuk said:

By the love of Grungni. That sounds brutal. So it looks like you need some screens and bunch of luck. Please let us know how that end. Friend of mine is starting ogor army and I want to be prepared. 

The list that is getting a lot of attention is a quad stonehorn list.  It just went 5-0 to win a big tourney, beating a lot of Tzeentch armies who (I believe) were using the new tome.

2 Frostlords on Stonehorns

1 Huskard on Stonehorn

1 Stonehorn Beastrider

2 units of mournfangs

A battalion that makes it a 3-drop and every 6 to hit in melee causes a mortal wound for everything except the frostlords.  Sub-faction rules make the monsters faster and can use their top bracket for a CP, and realm artifacts either make a Frostlord immune to rend or makes him move 19” and fly.

It’s fast, unsubtle, and brutal, like a brick to the face.  Also, just like a brick to the face, it gets the job done and doesn’t care about looking pretty while it’s doing it’s thing.

Also, Ogors count as 2 models for taking objectives and monsters count as 10, so it isn’t as weak on objectives as you would think.

Ogors are shaping up to be a decent counter to any army that needs a lot of moving parts to do their thing, and when you are facing them target priority is a nightmare.

Gutbusters are a little less daunting, but they put mountains of wounds on the table, have a bunch of healing, and a surprising amount of magic.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Borsuk said:

So it looks like I will need to make fleet proud. Thank you guys for insight. 

Can you tell me any ideas how to deal with nighthunt and this slaneesh nonsense (I bet their tome was written by coke-snorting dude)? 

I’ve actually never played against slaanesh, and it’s one of the tomes I haven’t picked up, but my understanding is that KO are actually in a decent spot against them.  Their defenses are garbage, so shoot them.  They are fast (I don’t know how fast), but so are KO.  I would go with old school WoW Hunter tactics and kite them.  If they get to you they will shred you, but that’s the story for pretty much every army out there.

Nighthaunt may be immune to rend, but their saves aren’t great.  Also, everything flies, so Zilfin is pretty gross against them.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Borsuk said:

I guess this is our famous list building flexibility. :D

Well that list is completely different from anything else I’ve seen posted so yeah, flexibility. 

You want flexibility pls allow me to demonstrate. 

Ok so from that same same list I posted. 

1. Can be barak urbaz right off the bat, no changes required. (Command trait and relics) 

2. Drop a unit of thunderers and you can buy an ironclad, boom totally different list. (Was wrong on points)

3. Drop the venator and unit of arkos to take a loondrinmaster, the rest of your hero’s and 5 thunderers to take 2 units of 6 riggers, be whatever barak you want. 

4. Drop 3 gunhaulers and a unit of arkos, take an ironclad and an admiral, boom. 

5. I can do this all day brah

Edited by Cauthon
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Cauthon said:

Well that list is completely different from anything else I’ve seen posted so yeah, flexibility. 

You want flexibility pls allow me to demonstrate. 

Ok so from that same same list I posted. 

1. Can be barak urbaz right off the bat, no changes required. (Command trait and relics)

2. Drop a unit of thunderers and you can buy an ironclad, boom totally different list. 

3. Drop the venator and unit of arkos to take a loondrinmaster, the rest of your hero’s and 5 thunderers to take 2 units of 6 riggers, be whatever barak you want. 

4. Drop 3 gunhaulers and a unit of arkos, take an ironclad and an admiral, boom. 

5. I can do this all day brah

I was only ironic. No hard feelings.  Don't get me wrong, I love KO and I'm planning to make tons of silly lists,  even when they rise eyebrows. Couple posts earlier I even posted my own list, which I plan to field. 

Nevertheless thanks for response and some cool ideas. I was thinking about fielding venator or azyros for some time already. 

15 minutes ago, thediceabide said:

So what would be a good starting place for Kharadron with the new book? It seems that they have more viable builds now, and the Start Collecting box might actually be useful. How far would 2x Start Collecting + Aether Wars get someone? Thanks!

That would be an excellent start. I'd look into grabbing either a Frigate or Ironclad to build your list around too. The new ship garrisoning is the heart and spirit of the new rules and you'll need one of the big ships to take advantage of them. While I think thunderers are considered more ideal, you may also want to consider a box or two of arkanauts to give me more flexibility with your battlelines. My last, half-serious suggestion is grab yourself an Admiral. I just like the idea of an Admiral manning the ship. :P  Good luck!

Another helpful hint is shop around and see if you can find any of those OOP Battleforce boxes. They've been popping up on secondhand retail sites lately.

• Like 1