AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

8 minutes ago, Thanos-se said:

Hello. How do you deal with fireslayers?

- 2 MW on 6 (I lost my unit of evocators last night, he rolled 6 6s with 18 attacks).

- command ability, they always take the first turn in combat phase so they kill your punch line.

Is it more effective to play a mobility army with some shooting? Can you deal them face to face? For example yesterday I chose celestial vindicators but I didn't engage. I prefered to run around and take the objectives. But I could have a Lord Aquilor and a vanguard palladors unit and poof around.

Just switched from SCE to Fyreslayers and admittedly still very new to both but if they are Hermdar (the fight first CA comes from there) outside of a Runesmiter on Foots underground ambush they are not very mobile (I’m running Vorstag to address that).  So a combination of movement shenanigans like the LA and some Hero sniping (kill the Battlesmith) to reduce their buffs can set you up to be ahead on VP and ideally choose when to fight the Hearthguard Berzerkers on more favorable terms.  Not easy but best at my experience level with these two armies I can offer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Thanos-se said:

- 2 MW on 6 (I lost my unit of evocators last night, he rolled 6 6s with 18 attacks).

- command ability, they always take the first turn in combat phase so they kill your punch line.

Is it more effective to play a mobility army with some shooting? Can you deal them face to face? For example yesterday I chose celestial vindicators but I didn't engage. I prefered to run around and take the objectives. But I could have a Lord Aquilor and a vanguard palladors unit and poof around.

Shoot the heroes. Hearthguard lose their 4+ ignore if they dont have a hero nearby, and you need a hero wholly within 12" of their unit to activate the command ability to fight first. If you can kill the heroes from the Lords of the Lodge battalion (Runefather, Runemaster, Battlesmith) then they can't use their double fight ability. You dont necessarily have to kill all of them, just the ones wholly within 12" of the unit.

You should also try to kill their general if you can because he has the -1 wound aura.

Waste their time by putting screens of liberators and aetherwings up front, then counterattack with your shooting (Longstrikes) and big melee units (Evocators, Dracoths)

• Thanks 1

I think the *9 Longstrikes are a must at a Stormcast army. It is a powerfull shooting unit. Aetherwings are also a must. They cost nothing and they can grab an objective (last game I could earn at least 2 points).  VR or ballistas??? VR-LC have the MW on 6s for 510 pts / 4*ballistas with Ordinator 580 without MW. If you play Anvils it is more favorable to play VR as it costs you 1 CA. I dunno , a bit confused. I am new and I am trying to solve these maths but I love them. A lot of units and flexibility. I like tryhard.I think the *9 Longstrikes are a must at a Stormcast army. It is a powerfull shooting unit. Aetherwings are also a must. They cost nothing and they can grab an objective (last game I could earn at least 2 points).  VR or ballistas??? VR-LC have the MW on 6s for 510 pts / 4*ballistas with Ordinator 580 without MW. If you play Anvils it is more favorable to play VR as it costs you 1 CA. I dunno , a bit confused. I am new and I am trying to solve these maths but I love them. A lot of units and flexibility. I like tryhard.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Thanos-se said:

I think the *9 Longstrikes are a must at a Stormcast army. It is a powerfull shooting unit. Aetherwings are also a must. They cost nothing and they can grab an objective (last game I could earn at least 2 points).  VR or ballistas??? VR-LC have the MW on 6s for 510 pts / 4*ballistas with Ordinator 580 without MW. If you play Anvils it is more favorable to play VR as it costs you 1 CA. I dunno , a bit confused. I am new and I am trying to solve these maths but I love them. A lot of units and flexibility. I like tryhard.I think the *9 Longstrikes are a must at a Stormcast army. It is a powerfull shooting unit. Aetherwings are also a must. They cost nothing and they can grab an objective (last game I could earn at least 2 points).  VR or ballistas??? VR-LC have the MW on 6s for 510 pts / 4*ballistas with Ordinator 580 without MW. If you play Anvils it is more favorable to play VR as it costs you 1 CA. I dunno , a bit confused. I am new and I am trying to solve these maths but I love them. A lot of units and flexibility. I like tryhard.

I like that you're so enthusiastic about raptors that you want to repeat the concept more and more!!

joke aside..

I prefer raptors, sinergy with vanguard list if you want to go mono shootcast, don't need a hero for support only for them, they can be moved if in danger with LAquilor and 3models on 3bases not in 9

Buyed the second unit today, want to test them in several lists, in skyborn and stormtower battalions for sure.

Edited by baiardo

That's true. I am very enthusiastic about this unit. I am just trying to combine melee and shooting. I suggest 1*9 cause u can use anvils command ability or translocation count them as one unit. If i am gonna use vanguard i must collct the stormcast army from zero. Only evos sequitors and libs until now. I need about 150$ at least for vanguard.

8 minutes ago, Thanos-se said:

That's true. I am very enthusiastic about this unit. I am just trying to combine melee and shooting. I suggest 1*9 cause u can use anvils command ability or translocation count them as one unit. If i am gonna use vanguard i must collct the stormcast army from zero. Only evos sequitors and libs until now. I need about 150$ at least for vanguard.

yeah 9 is a magic number, with raptors.

Me too started with evo but I fell back on old units(dracoths, paladins libs..) and vanguard, really cool models and promising.

All said it already but playing vanguard it feels like having flashback of 40k(aesthetically) haha

Edited by baiardo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Thanos-se said:

Ally in some Sharks from Idoneth. Obv shoot his heroes off with something if you can to avoid the 4+ FNP on them

Use the net launcher, make the Hearthguard not be able to pile in. Pile one evocator on dracoline on a corner of his hearthguard. 

So they cant pile in and fight start of combat, so youre taking minimal damage.

Against a 4+ save, 4 ballistas with an ordinator do a LOT more damage than 9 V-Rs with Longstrikes.  (It's roughly 15.5 wounds to 10 wounds, so not even close).  GRANTED, in Anvils, using the CA is much more efficient so if you have lots of CPs to burn then you're probably correct to go V-Rs, thought it is notable that Ballistas are also far more durable than V-Rs. There are lots of other trade-offs as well of course.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, willange said:

Against a 4+ save, 4 ballistas with an ordinator do a LOT more damage than 9 V-Rs with Longstrikes.  (It's roughly 15.5 wounds to 10 wounds, so not even close).  GRANTED, in Anvils, using the CA is much more efficient so if you have lots of CPs to burn then you're probably correct to go V-Rs, thought it is notable that Ballistas are also far more durable than V-Rs. There are lots of other trade-offs as well of course.

Other problems with ballistas: 1) if you want to hope to use the rapid fire they need to be in the sky (so if you are using 4 + LOrdinator, you need 10 units in your army already); 2) it is very easy to screen the rapid fire; 3) it's not just the Anvils CA, you cannot target them with traslocation pratyer / pennant of the stormbringer / lord aquilor, so once they come down they are basically static; 4) ballista cannot use aetherwings to stop charges

more of a hobby update post: I finally got my Black Watch box! Can't wait to build the judicators, as the giant bows with lightning arrows really began to sell me on the faction.

but, I am hoping for a- castigator buff and b- gryph hound point reduction. i feel like i have too many wet-noodle castigators with this + Soul Wars, and I'd love to fit the doggos in without using 240 flippin points!!

• Like 4

On 1/29/2021 at 3:05 PM, Marcvs said:

Still, to counter my own previous complaint :DI have a 1k points TTS tournament incoming and I think a 1-drop stormkeep patrol with 30 libs in astral templars might actually have legs

Reveal hidden contents
Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals

Leaders
Lord-Veritant (110)
- General
- Command Trait: Dauntless Hunters
- Artefact: Godbeast Plate
- Prayer: Divine Light

Battleline
30 x Liberators (480)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 6x Grandhammers
5 x Judicators (140)
- Skybolt Bows
- 2x Shockbolt Bows

Units
6 x Gryph-Hounds (120)

Battalions
Stormkeep Patrol (130)

Total: 980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 94

With the 6" move and the charge the libs can spread out on multiple objectives and then manage them with the losses. At 1k points I would also be less scared about battleshock in case the veritant gets sniped. The gryph hounds (+the bonus one) and judicators will provide some measure of backboard presence

Since this 1k tournament does not allow units > 300 pts I have decided to bring this

Spoiler

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Mortal Realm: Ghur
- Stormhost: Astral Templars (Stormkeep)

LEADERS
Lord-Veritant (110)
- General
- Command Trait: Dauntless Hunters
- Artefact: Godbeast Plate
- Prayer: Divine Light

UNITS
15 x Liberators (270)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 3 x Grandhammers

6 x Gryph-Hounds (120)
15 x Liberators (270)

- Warhammer & Shield
- 3 x Grandhammers

9 x Khainite Shadowstalkers (100)
- Allies
BATTALIONS
Stormkeep Patrol (130)

tables will be 48x48 which I think increases the chances of this list. I think at this point level, 60 wounds of 3+ save liberators might be enough to gain a sufficient early advantage (of course, I don't know the scenarios yet, which will be "adapted" for the different size, so everything is possible)

3 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

more of a hobby update post: I finally got my Black Watch box! Can't wait to build the judicators, as the giant bows with lightning arrows really began to sell me on the faction.

but, I am hoping for a- castigator buff and b- gryph hound point reduction. i feel like i have too many wet-noodle castigators with this + Soul Wars, and I'd love to fit the doggos in without using 240 flippin points!!

I also bought the box because I didn't have a Lord Veritant yet and after reading the story of Ven Brecht I wanted to paint one :) as for Castigators, chances are they will be the new hotness in the new BT :D

29 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

I also bought the box because I didn't have a Lord Veritant yet and after reading the story of Ven Brecht I wanted to paint one :) as for Castigators, chances are they will be the new hotness in the new BT :D

What makes you think so?

Edited by baiardo

31 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

oh nothing at all, it was sort of a joke: they are really bad now -> no one buys them unless forced to; therefore -> they will be strong in the next book so everyone will buy them

this really would be what happens too. hell even changing their current rule to be all undead and daemons would be fine with me...

1 hour ago, Marcvs said:

9 x Khainite Shadowstalkers (100)

what made you decide on these btw? they'd be my first choice for getting into Warcry so i'm doubly intrigued

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, CommissarRotke said:

what made you decide on these btw? they'd be my first choice for getting into Warcry so i'm doubly intrigued

Mobility for an otherwise very static army (after the first redeployment ofc). These guys can both sit on a backfield objective and force the opponent to keep one unit on theirs. Late in the game they can be a real pain for the opponent once armies are thinned down

29 minutes ago, Thanos-se said:

Has anybody tested Hammers of Sigmars for the FNP command trait? Is it valuable or it is just ok if you have it? I think it is must if you play against armies with MW.

That's my main army. It's not better than Anvils' abilities, but it's good and better than nothing. My main leader is usually either a lord Castellant behind a blob of 10 liberators, or a lord arcanum behind a blob of 10 sequitors. Either way, it just gives them a little bit more resiliance. Sometimes people underestimate them slightly, so every little bit helps. Otherwise though, I don't really lean on it to win games.

It would be nice on a star drake though I admit.

I think on stardrake the staunch procs with castellant so it heals the drake which has more than normal wounds and it is more viable. Specifically sequitors who rerolls hits combined with the command ability of vandus, it is like a celestial vindicators mixed with hammers of sigmar stormhost. And you have the 6 FNP on top if that.

I think on stardrake the staunch procs with castellant so it heals the drake which has more than normal wounds and it is more viable. Specifically sequitors who rerolls hits combined with the command ability of vandus, it is like a celestial vindicators mixed with hammers of sigmar stormhost. And you have the 6 FNP on top if that.

1 hour ago, Marcvs said:

I feel that the new (leaked) rules for Slaanesh and Depravity generation strongly discourage blocks of tanky-but-not-killy stuff (read: liberators in a Stormkeep), as prolonged fights are the best case scenario for accumulating depravity.

That's make me think that judicators could really take a more predominant spot as battleline if they drop a little more on points or new sinergies coming up.

The ven Brecth starter disappointed me a little bit even if I'm a new entry to AoS.😆

That might be because Broken Realms boxes are not starters, they're battalion-specific additions to existing armies. My main disappointment with it is the random extra gryph hound that comes with the ETB Castigators; I would've preferred maybe another hero instead, but all the units included do fit into the Black Watch battalion so you can make the castis work at least.

• Like 1