AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

7 minutes ago, Predien said:

Totally agree. I've end up collecting quite a few SC boxes so that my army is somewhat future proof. I've got plenty of dryads, enough TLAs and Treelords and a couple of Durthus for whatever Broken Realms and the 3.0 book gives us.

Same boat here.  I have two of each Treelord build and eventually want a third Durthu for super shenanigans.

• Like 2

On 1/8/2021 at 9:17 AM, Pennydude said:

Same boat here.  I have two of each Treelord build and eventually want a third Durthu for super shenanigans.

Those shenanigans are fun.  

Heard this list on the Honest WArgamer for an upcoming tournmanet

Gnarlroot

Durthu

BW, genearl, (nightbloom garland?), Nurtured by Magic, Chalice, Regrowth

BW

3x 5 Trevs

2 x1 Alopexes, netlaunchers

3 x Household

3 Treelords

Gemenids

Balewind

Spiteswarm hive.

I heard the alopexes deny pile-ins and the household denies retreats so the Treelords pin things in and the Durthu teleports being things up.  Man I hope it wins the Aussie tourney it's heading into.  Just to totally throw a weird curveball into the mix of list building.

Just found it interesting, not posting to prove a point.

Okay that looks fun as hell.  Yeah, the Allopex can prevent a unit from piling in if they hit with the net launcher (18" range, 3+, 3+, no rend, 3 dmg).   My assumption would be that a BWych would need to accompany Durthu to get the re-roll 1s to hit.  Same with sending another with a Treelord or two.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Trickflo said:

Hey I have a bit of a random question does anyone know the aprox diameter of the inside of a woods my wifes just starting out sylvaneth and want to make some placeholder woods for now but I cant find any information about sizing. Thanks

So currently the kit contains 3 different perimeter sections of wood.  So if you buy 3 of the kits you can make a huge variation in woods.  From using all 3 small to all 3 large.  So the diameter can change.

I would recommend seeing about finding the older Citadel Woods and using one of those to start.  I believe there were some PDFs uploaded to an old wood elf forum asrai (i believe hosted on druchii if that still exist) during the 8th ed release?  maybe googling can find it still?  I dunno.  just a thought.

On 1/28/2021 at 3:55 PM, Trickflo said:

Hey I have a bit of a random question does anyone know the aprox diameter of the inside of a woods my wifes just starting out sylvaneth and want to make some placeholder woods for now but I cant find any information about sizing. Thanks

I bought some templates for like £6 on ebay, obviously they are flat but they are a decent substitute.

No official announcements just a lot talk about it since I think allarielle with Teclis was mentioned in the initial announcement a while back. 

I hope it’s true though they need some love the book helped but they nerfed the woods and we still can’t beat top tier armies consistently. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, I just wanted to share my list that recently won a league. Full disclaimer I played 12 games in the league and only used Sylvaneth twice, but Sylvaneth won both times which included the championship match.  My wins were vs a Lord Kroak Thunder Lizard list and a triple terrorgeist FEC list.

I only ran the treelord because I lacked 3 more painted hunters models, but have since acquired them and plan to field 6+6+9 hunters version of this list in a tourney on 2-27

Generally, my plan was this: Drop the largest wood that I could (usually 5-6 pieces). Deploy 9 scythes and Durthu in the woods. Deploy the other Hunters wherever they could get to an objective the quickest.  Then screen each unit with 5 spites. 

On my first turn, I ran the spites up as far as I could and follow with hunters.  Durthu would camp near the forest, begging someone to charge him and threatening counter charges. Branchwraith was busy summoning forests/dryads, or healing.

Pretty basic, but it ended up being effective. Durthu has a MASSIVE board presence, because even models that can easily kill him with one swing have to be concerned with him scoring a lucky 4+ and swinging first (and then potentially retreating). And with only 6-7 drops it out-dropped most other armies.

What do you guys think? Have I just been lucky or does this list have the potential to take Sylvaneth from a D tier to a D+ tier 🤣

(Harvestboon)

Durthu (sickle and seek new fruit)

Branchwraith (stave and regrowth)

5 spites

5 spites

5 spites

Outcasts Batallion

6 Kurnoth (swords)

9 Kurnoth (scythes)

3 Kurnoth (swords)

Tree lord

(drop Tree Lord for +3 Kurnoth to optimize)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Landohammer said:

What do you guys think? Have I just been lucky or does this list have the potential to take Sylvaneth from a D tier to a D+ tier 🤣

Combination of a more competent generalship, knowing the full capabilities of the army and dare I say perhaps some luck (no disrespect).  I would guess you played hard and outplayed most people?

Harvest boon is also an untapped glade.  I've had success when using it and was always surprised not to see others initially appreciated it.  People maybe aren't expecting a Durthu to have up to 8 attacks.  

How are you finding the Spites?  Since they are pretty much only chaff I've not had a huge desire to pick up a 3rd box at the cost to run the battalion.  Owning 70 painted Dryads means I like running them fine enough.  

You don't think the Treelord offered any value (with stomp, or dmg soaking?)  3 more KHs are always better?

Thanks for sharing.

21 minutes ago, Landohammer said:

Honestly, I'd just run it as is.  With already running 18 Kurnoths, I think having the Treelord in there for utility is worth it.  Allows you to control combats more with that stomp threat.  Since it can teleport for free through the woods, it also gives more board presence.

Now I need 6 more Kurnoths since I only have 6 Scythes and 6 Swords for this... but I have 9 Bows!

5 minutes ago, Pennydude said:

Honestly, I'd just run it as is.  With already running 18 Kurnoths, I think having the Treelord in there for utility is worth it.  Allows you to control combats more with that stomp threat.  Since it can teleport for free through the woods, it also gives more board presence.

Now I need 6 more Kurnoths since I only have 6 Scythes and 6 Swords for this... but I have 9 Bows!

I just ripped my bows off and replaced them with Scythes. I was tired of waiting for GW to make them playable lol.

So at 180pts I don't think the Treelord  will make or break a list, but in a meta full of Khorne, LRL, and Tzeetch, I am just not able to reliably summon a forest. So the tree lord is unlikely to be able to capitalize on that. :(

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Landohammer said:

I just ripped my bows off and replaced them with Scythes. I was tired of waiting for GW to make them playable lol.

So at 180pts I don't think the Treelord  will make or break a list, but in a meta full of Khorne, LRL, and Tzeetch, I am just not able to reliably summon a forest. So the tree lord is unlikely to be able to capitalize on that. :(

Okay good points on the forest.  Wood be nice to see Verdant Blessing become a prayer instead of a spell.  My wife wood kill me if I just ripped the bows off my Kurnoths...  

I really do like Harvestboon.  Played a game pre-GHB20 where I put a Thermalrider on Durthu.  The ability to make the 6" move flying over terrain out of combat was a super-cheesy trick that I want to do again someday.  At least we have the Etherblossom.

16 hours ago, Pennydude said:

Okay good points on the forest.  Wood be nice to see Verdant Blessing become a prayer instead of a spell.  My wife wood kill me if I just ripped the bows off my Kurnoths...  

I really do like Harvestboon.  Played a game pre-GHB20 where I put a Thermalrider on Durthu.  The ability to make the 6" move flying over terrain out of combat was a super-cheesy trick that I want to do again someday.  At least we have the Etherblossom.

You bring up a good point, and that is "what is actually the best artefact for durthu?"

The loss of Ghyrstrike left a pretty significant hole in our army. But with the subfactions locking you into an artefact, the question is rather moot because the faction artefacts are a lot better on Durthu than any of our other options. 

Here is my logic

Am I bringing a battallion?

No -----> Durthu gets either the Frozen Kernel, Silent Sickle, or Jewel of Withering.

Yes -----> Durthu gets either the Frozen Kernel, Silent Sickle, or Jewel of Withering and I give the Spiritsong stave to a Branchwraith.

IMHO. The spiritsong stave is so good that is essentially just becomes the autoinclude any time you get a second artefact. It turns the branchwraith into quite an efficient model. Throne of vines + Rouse to Wrath or Verdant Blessing + Rouse to wrath or even Throne of Vines + Spiteswarm Hive are actually pretty solid casting phases that can't be ignored. 

So the only, and I mean the ONLY circumstance where Durthu gets a meaningful decision on artefact choice is if you take Winterleaf and a Battallion, and you give the Kernel to a support character that follows durthu around. So in that situation, what artefact is best? 🤔

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Landohammer said:

So the only, and I mean the ONLY circumstance where Durthu gets a meaningful decision on artefact choice is if you take Winterleaf and a Battallion, and you give the Kernel to a support character that follows durthu around. So in that situation, what artefact is best? 🤔

I guess offensively only Greenwood Gladius and Crown of Fell Bowers are choices to even think about, right? Defensively I would say only Briarsheeth is worth considering...But in 9 out of 10 cases I gues I would choose an offensive variant. Crown has insane blowout potential if you hit the stomp and can smash into something with Durthu and potentially 1 or even two squads of Scythe/Sword wielding angry trees, while Greenwood Gladius turns Durthu into a murder machine if he hits the charge. Sadly in everything we can do, a lot of really crucial dice rolling is involved, like casting and turning on Spitswarm Hive, hitting the crucial stomp etc...i know that we are talking about a dice game, but my feeling is that especially with Durthu it is VERY important to hit these rolls, because of his brutal drop-off after suffering even a couple of wounds.

12 minutes ago, Craze said:

I guess offensively only Greenwood Gladius and Crown of Fell Bowers are choices to even think about, right? Defensively I would say only Briarsheeth is worth considering...But in 9 out of 10 cases I gues I would choose an offensive variant. Crown has insane blowout potential if you hit the stomp and can smash into something with Durthu and potentially 1 or even two squads of Scythe/Sword wielding angry trees, while Greenwood Gladius turns Durthu into a murder machine if he hits the charge. Sadly in everything we can do, a lot of really crucial dice rolling is involved, like casting and turning on Spitswarm Hive, hitting the crucial stomp etc...i know that we are talking about a dice game, but my feeling is that especially with Durthu it is VERY important to hit these rolls, because of his brutal drop-off after suffering even a couple of wounds.

The Gladius probably has the most potential.  But the charge just can't be relied upon with a movement 5 model.  And while the Spiteswarm helps in that regard, you really need the Spiritsong Stave to help get it off with throne. Otherwise your entire plan relies on a 7+ casting roll. And you will never have both the Gladius and the Stave in the same list. 

I'm also not a huge fun of running Durthu as a tank build. Dryads can fill that roll infinitely better (and in battleline nevertheless). Durthu is there to break through armor and kill stuff. 🌳🔪

• Like 1

Since Lumineth archers exist, I don't really think this army can put a non-Spiritsong Staff artefact on anything other than a TLA or Durthu in a tournament setting.  

For non-glade artefacts, I like the Crown of Fell Bowers and either Oaken Armor or Briar Sheath on Derpthu.  Unfortunately, we'd really have to run 2 battalions to get one of those but that's not out of the question.   Running two minimum Outcast battalions is 30 models, 2 artefacts, and 2 command points for 560pts.  

I think the Gladius can be good but only in Harvestboon since Durthu can move freely out of combat each round after attacking.  I kinda want to try that out alongside a Treelord in a Household battalion.  Throw both into something, get the double stomps, and let Durthu retreat without any retaliation since enemies can't retreat within 3" of the Treelord.  Combine that with an Allopex or two with net launchers for some combat phase shenanigans.  It may be a dumb idea, but I'm all for trying dumb ideas out.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Craze said:

@Pennydude please throw a list together, would really love to see this. :)

Off the top of my head:Allegiance: Sylvaneth
- Glade: Harvestboon
LEADERS

Spirit of Durthu (300)
- General
- Command Trait: Seek New Fruit
- Artefact: Greenwood Gladius (Guardian Sword)

Treelord Ancient (260)
- Artefact: The Silent Sickle (Sweeping Blows)
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth

Branchwych (80)**
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth

UNITS
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)**
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
10 x Dryads (100)

6 x Kurnoth Hunters (380)
- Scythes

3 x Kurnoth Hunters (190)
- Greatswords

1 x Akhelian Allopexes (110)
- Retarius Net Launcher
- Allies

1 x Akhelian Allopexes (110)
- Retarius Net Launcher
- Allies

BEHEMOTHS
Treelord (180)**

BATTALIONS
Household (100)**

TOTAL: 1970/2000 WOUNDS: 122

So, I have included a TLA for the guaranteed woods and giving him The Silent Sickle so he doesn't completely suck in combat and even be his own threat.  I could see a replacement for him though so I'm open to the idea.   I know that it's really light on bodies with no Branchwraith to create more but my idea of a Harvestboon list is to pick your fights to get the reroll 1s to hit on the charge.   Being able to control fights through stopping pile-ins (Allopexes), stomps with Durthu, TLA, and TL, and the ability to stop your opponent from retreating from the generic TL can really make life difficult for the opponent.

• Like 1

Quick Addendum to my winning streak. Just won another game vs Petrifex OBR + Nagash using my 18+ Kurnoth Hunter list., but this time I brought 10 Sisters of the Watch just for fun. Here is a quick rundown.

-Sisters  wiped out a unit of 3 monstrous infantry sword guys, and put 3 wounds on Nagash in just two turns. I may need to start looking into fielding more of these gals! 

-The player was terrified of getting too close to Durthu so he camped on an objective in his territory and just focused on killing Hunters at range. This was ok with me since the hunters had the wounds to weather the damage and still be effective.  I suicide charged 5 spites into nagash and actually did 2  more wounds.  Between Durthu's shooting, Sisters, and Spites I had Nagash down to 7 wounds by turn 3 with minimal effort. 

-I screened his cavalry with spites so they couldn't make any meaningful charges and countercharged them with Hunters. I then scored the double to finish them off as well as kill Nagash. 

At that point he had  a single character left so we called it, 14-7 Sylvaneth win.

I have  a 2 game casual tourney next weekend using the same list (minus sisters since my list is already locked 😫) but I will let you know how it goes!  Hoping to keep the winning streak going!

-

• Like 4