AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Hey all.  I’ve been out of AoS since before 3.0 due to having kids…. But going to dip my toes back in in a couple weeks on a 1 day 1k tourney.  Looking for feedback on a couple list.

option 1:

Army Faction: Sylvaneth
    - Army Subfaction: Heartwood
    - Grand Strategy: Take What’s Theirs
    - Triumphs: Inspired

LEADER

1 x Arch-Revenant (120)*

1 x Branchwych (130)*
    - General
    - Command Traits: Spellsinger
    - Artefacts: Arcane Tome
    - Spells: Verdurous Harmony, Verdant Blessing

BATTLELINE

5 x Tree-Revenants (110)*
    - Scion
    - Glade Banner Bearer
    - Waypipes

- Scion
    - Glade Banner Bearer
    - Waypipes

3 x Kurnoth Hunters with Kurnoth Greatswords (250)*
    - Huntmaster

3 x Kurnoth Hunters with Kurnoth Greatbows (230)*
    - Huntmaster

ENDLESS SPELL

1 x Spiteswarm Hive (40)

TERRAIN

1 x Awakened Wyldwood (0)

CORE BATTALIONS:

*Battle Regiment

TOTAL POINTS: (990/1000)

option 2:

Army Faction: Sylvaneth
    - Army Subfaction: Harvestboon
    - Grand Strategy: Take What’s Theirs
    - Triumphs: Inspired

LEADER

1 x Branchwych (130)
    - General
    - Command Traits: Spellsinger
    - Artefacts: Arcane Tome
    - Spells: Verdurous Harmony, Verdant Blessing

BATTLELINE

3 x Revenant Seekers (235)
    - Revenant Soulwarden
    - Seeker Banner Bearer
    - Seeker Hornblower

6 x Spiterider Lancers (420)
    - Spiterider Scion
    -  Spiterider Standard Bearer
    - Spiterider Hornblower

5 x Tree-Revenants (110)
    - Scion
    - Glade Banner Bearer
    - Waypipes

10 x Dryads (100)
    - Branch Nymph

TOTAL POINTS: (995/1000)

open to any critiques or advice.  If you’re changing out anything, the only units I don’t have are Gossamids and Spite Revs(weird, I know)

57 minutes ago, BeeTee said:

open to any critiques or advice.  If you’re changing out anything, the only units I don’t have are Gossamids and Spite Revs(weird, I know)

I personally prefer your second list.

Do you have a battlemage (or something in a 25mm base you could as a proxy of one)? If you do, I would suggest you change the 10 dryads on the second list for it. The dryads don't do much beside sitting in a objective, as with harvest boon I doubt they will be able to screen for your bugs with their pre-game move. The battlemage give you almost the hive charge bonus (+2 rather than +3), which can help you secure some charges + strike and fade with your lancers.

43 minutes ago, Arzalyn said:

I personally prefer your second list.

Do you have a battlemage (or something in a 25mm base you could as a proxy of one)? 

I don’t right now.  I’ve been holding off because I didn’t want to buy a 4 pack and the new underworlds set has a proxy that looks ideal for ghur.

may have to bite the bullet on this one and just buy the full box

2 hours ago, Arzalyn said:

The battlemage give you almost the hive charge bonus (+2 rather than +3), which can help you secure some charges + strike and fade with your lancers.

Problem is that's a spell, cast by an ally, which doesn't always go off or can be unbound, at least that's what I've experienced far too often.  Probably worth sticking with a hive if there are any casting bonuses from the primary army around. 

2 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Problem is that's a spell, cast by an ally, which doesn't always go off or can be unbound, at least that's what I've experienced far too often.  Probably worth sticking with a hive if there are any casting bonuses from the primary army around. 

The Battlemage has a +1 to cast in Ghur, it's pretty reliable (only the Warsong Revenant has a bonus to cast in Sylvaneth), and more importantly it's not instead of the +3 from the Spiteswarm Hive, it's in addition in case you fail the 7+ to cast or the 2+ of the Hive.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Are all battles in Ghur though...is that like a GHB season thing that I've somehow been oblivious to?!?

Wow, that's an awesome charge bonus then.   Guess my tiny Runelord in a robe can be an allied Battlemage.  

This season is set in Gallet, the Splintered Land: that's one of the Continents of Ghur. So yes, that's a GHB season thing (some tournaments have different rules though, but most of them are in Gallet/Ghur).

image.png.303e4018493588aaa2665a1baf77bcbb.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BeeTee said:

I don’t right now.  I’ve been holding off because I didn’t want to buy a 4 pack and the new underworlds set has a proxy that looks ideal for ghur.

may have to bite the bullet on this one and just buy the full box

If your tournament is ok with proxies, I would advice you simple get something in a 25mm base and tell your opponent it is your battlemage. Buy 4 just to use 1 isn't a good deal truly. Do you have Skaeth's wildhunt? If you do I believe the cat or even one of the Kurnothi should work pretty well as a proxy.

• Like 1

Hi all,

the following list went 4 – 1 in a recent tournament:

LEADERS

Spirit of Durthu (370)

- General

- Command Trait: Gnarled Warrior

- Artefact: Greenwood Gladius

Treelord Ancient (360)

- Lore of the Deepwood: Treesong

BEHEMOTHS

Treelord (260)*

- Sylvaneth Battleline (Glade: Oakenbrow)

Treelord (260)*

Treelord (260)*

Krondspine Incarnate of Ghur (400)

- Allies

ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS

Gladewyrm (50)

Spiteswarm Hive (40)

CORE BATTALIONS

*Bounty Hunters

TOTAL: 2000/2000

I pretty much like the look of an elite Sylvaneth force, though I´m not sure wether I like to field treelords only or if I should include some Kurnoth Hunters instead.

What do you think?

Are Kurnoth Hunters "better" than Treelords if you like to field a small, elitish army?

What are the strenghts and weaknesses of each unit?

• Like 2

Ooh wow, congratulations!  Great to see that Oakenbrow can perform....if you didn't have the Krondspine what else would you have taken instead?  I was thinking some Tree Revenants for teleporting and Branchwyches for an extra artefact/spell casting.  I'm playing my friend's Nighthaunt this week if plans work out.  

30 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Ooh wow, congratulations!  Great to see that Oakenbrow can perform....if you didn't have the Krondspine what else would you have taken instead?  I was thinking some Tree Revenants for teleporting and Branchwyches for an extra artefact/spell casting.  I'm playing my friend's Nighthaunt this week if plans work out.  

It´s not my list, just found it on the interwebs. Personally I´d run something like

Allegiance: Sylvaneth
- Glade: Oakenbrow
- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Drycha Hamadreth (335)  best looking Sylvaneth model (well, Warsong Revenant is also ace)
Treelord Ancient (360)
Spirit of Durthu (370)

Battleline
5 x Tree-Revenants (110) just for the scenarios / tactics in which you need some Galletian Veterans
Treelord (260)
Treelord (260)
Treelord (260)

Endless Spells & Invocations
Spiteswarm Hive (40)

Total: 1995 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 90
Drops: 7

Though I do not have any experience with Sylvaneth. Just saw the list posted above and I pretty much like it!

Hej Guys, i try to build a Army of Sylvaneth of this:

Spoiler

- Glade: Oakenbrow – Season: The

- Mortal Realm: Ghyran
- Grand Strategy: No Place for the Weak
- Triumphs: Bloodthirsty

Leaders
Spirit of Durthu (370)*
-
General
Spirit of Durthu (370)**
Spirit of Durthu (370)**
The Lady of Vines (325)*
-
Lore of the Deepwood: Treesong
Branchwych (130)**
-
Artefact: The Vesperal Gem
- Lore of the Deepwood: Regrowth

Battleline

Spiteswarm Hive (40)
Gladewyrm (50)

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment
**Command Entourage - Magnificent

Total: 1985 / 2000
Wounds: 87
Drops: 4

With a Avatar of Khaine (Aeldar40k)/Durthu Convers as the General ;)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ibel said:

Hej Guys, i try to build a Army of Sylvaneth of this:

Reveal hidden contents

- Glade: Oakenbrow – Season: The

- Mortal Realm: Ghyran
- Triumphs: Bloodthirsty

Leaders
Spirit of Durthu (370)*
-
General
Spirit of Durthu (370)**
Spirit of Durthu (370)**
The Lady of Vines (325)*
-
Lore of the Deepwood: Treesong
Branchwych (130)**
-
Artefact: The Vesperal Gem
- Lore of the Deepwood: Regrowth

Battleline

Spiteswarm Hive (40)
Gladewyrm (50)

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment
**Command Entourage - Magnificent

Total: 1985 / 2000
Wounds: 87
Drops: 4

With a Avatar of Khaine (Aeldar40k)/Durthu Convers as the General ;)

Triple Durthu should be funny to see. Tell us how it went after you get some games with it.

• Like 1

First, a major problem with your list.  You cannot run command entourage as it requires 2 subcommanders, and you only have 1 in your list (lady of vines and durthu's are all commanders as they are all 10+ wounds).

Next, if you are doing a big tree list, I think you have to run warsinger.  The +3" movement means that you aren't solely reliant on teleporting for mobility, and can instead have a base movement of 8" instead of 5".  This is still not "fast", but it is going to be really helpful for getting into position, especially against magic-dom armies that can prevent you from placing trees.  Following that, while the greenwood gladius is better for a single durthu's output, once you get 2+ of them hitting the same target, the crown of fell bowers might be better for you as it will buff everyone attacking a target rather than just the artefact bearer.

Finally, while triple durthu is definitely meme-worthy, you could consider dropping 1 durthu, 1 unit of tree revenants, and 1 of your endless spells to make room for 2 treelords.  2 treelords actually outdamage a single unbuffed durthu, AND they can also prevent pileins from your opponent as long as they hit them (not wound, just hit) which can help you control the battlefield some more and dictate your engagements better.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, coming along since a time without playing with sylvaneth. I'm trying to make more elite lists so I have some thoughts that I would like to know if I'm right or wrong:

- Leaders:

Drycha, I love it, include almost in every list.
Durthu or Treelord, I will always go treelord, maybe here Im wrong and Durthu is more likely because I will have drycha or lady of Vines to cast 
Lady of VInes or Warsong. I don't have warsong mini so I will go Lady. Is it so good warsong?
Arch Revenant. Autoinclude if you play kurnoth? I dont have the mini

- Units:

Goasamid archers. I like them, autoinclude or better take kurnoth with bows to go distance?
  Kurnoth or Tree... dont know what to pick so maybe I will always go with one tree and 3 or 6 kurnoths. Maybe when I buy Arch revenant will pick more kurnoths

Thanks to all!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hoseman said:

Hi all, coming along since a time without playing with sylvaneth. I'm trying to make more elite lists so I have some thoughts that I would like to know if I'm right or wrong:

- Leaders:

Drycha, I love it, include almost in every list.
Durthu or Treelord, I will always go treelord, maybe here Im wrong and Durthu is more likely because I will have drycha or lady of Vines to cast 
Lady of VInes or Warsong. I don't have warsong mini so I will go Lady. Is it so good warsong?
Arch Revenant. Autoinclude if you play kurnoth? I dont have the mini

- Units:

Goasamid archers. I like them, autoinclude or better take kurnoth with bows to go distance?
  Kurnoth or Tree... dont know what to pick so maybe I will always go with one tree and 3 or 6 kurnoths. Maybe when I buy Arch revenant will pick more kurnoths

Thanks to all!!

This is mostly My opinion on those units after using them or feedback I got from other groups from people that used them. Right now we are a fairly elite army thanks to our huge points and big blocks of dryads and spite-revs suffering in this GHB. If you want to focus around a unit I would say Kurnoths and Seekers/Lancers (in the right glade to open them as battleline) are you best bet. Treelords in oakenbrown can work, but I personally don't like using more than 2 even there.

Leaders

- Drycha: She is a damage hero and a really polarizing one, some people love her and others hate her. She is fragile, but can do a nice amount of mortal wounds at range (even if a little short one) and works well with strike and fade. She is really playstyle dependent.

- Durthu: He is another damage hero, more resilient than Drycha but a little swing some times due to the nature of his weapon profile (low number of attacks with high damage). He really shiny in Oakenbrown due to it keeping him at the top profile pretty much. I generally favor him over Drycha in my lists due to him be able to get command traits and artefacts and providing some extra support with the stomp.

- TLA: It main function is giving you a tree anywhere on the board and without relying on spells. It is a support hero, but I personally don't think it bring enough support for its points (other than the tree i just has the stomp + a single cast). It is hard to replace the tree it bring tough, so it has its own niche.

- Lady of vines: Another support hero, she brings a nice package in the form 10 dryads, 2 spells, a 5+ ward bubble spell and counting as a wood. The main downside of her is that the spell is quiet unreliable without the Gnarlroot effect of the Dwindling reroll. She does it job as a support better than the TLA for me, but some games I fell she does very little if the 5+ ward fail/is unbound.

- Warsong: Our best spell caster due to the +1 cast in his warscroll. This together with the 2 casts and access to Spellsinger trait give him the edge over our other spell casters to me. If you want more reliability in your spells and endless spells he is the best choice.

- Arch-revenant: One of our cheapest heroes. While her bonus to kurnoth makes the synergy between them clear, I would say she can have value if you have good targets for her command ability  (Seekers/lancers in units of 6 for example our a 15 spite-rev unit). I generally find her more useful than the Branchwych when I have the points to spare in my lists.

Units

- Gossamid: They can be a little match dependent. Against melee enemies they are a incredible screen (as long as you roll those 2+ after the unleash hell). Against ranged enemies they die really easy. I like them if you don't have a seeker/lancer in your list to provide some mobility, but don't expect much damage from them (unless you are REALLY good at rolling 6s).

Tree-revs : I always start a list with at least a unit of tree-revs (unless I'm trying something super thematic as all treelord oakenbrown). They are really good as a screen that has utility after you don't need a screen anymore. 2 Units are super common and even 3 if you are using a subfaction that don't give another battleline option.

Kurnoths: I find really hard to not include a unit of them in most lists as well. My rule of thumbs is 3s for swords, 6 for scythes and 6 for bows (other numbers work as well, but I generally start from those and change them after some games). The bows need a arch-rev with them, the other can work without her. They make a really good offensive threat with a good survivability, their only downside is the slow movement.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Is it even feasible to run a Sylvaneth army and NOT bring a box of 3 trees along?  Treelords for example could walk to the spirit paths to Overgrown terrain couldn't they?  I haven't played with my Trees yet, but gearing up for a test game someday soon.  Just wondering if I absolutely need the Wyldwoods set or not.  Guess if I have a TLA (and Durthu, and 3 Treelords) I'd probably want one for free.....

So I have been playing the following list for a bit, and also recently took it to a 1 day tournament where I went 1-2, with the win being by 6 points and the losses being by 1 and 2.  I also played a number of practice games with this list and some small variations to it, with a noticeably better record than my tournament results.

- Glade: Heartwood
- Grand Strategy: Take What's Theirs
- Triumphs: Bloodthirsty

Leaders
Branchwych (130)**
- Lore of the Deepwood: Regrowth
Spirit of Durthu (370)**
- Artefact: Greenwood Gladius
Treelord Ancient (360)**
- Lore of the Deepwood: Regrowth
Warsong Revenant (305)**
- General
- Command Trait: Spellsinger
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
- Lore of the Deepwood: Verdurous Harmony

Battleline
6 x Kurnoth Hunters with Kurnoth Greatbows (460)**
- Reinforced x 1
10 x Dryads (100)*
10 x Dryads (100)*
10 x Dreadspears (85)*

Umbral Spellportal (80)

Core Battalions
*Expert Conquerors
**Warlord

Additional Enhancements
Artefact

Total: 1990 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 100
Drops: 8

The basic concept with this list is to have a solid mixed arms approach.  I have a double-bomb available in the magic phase between the revenant (with spellsinger) and the brancwych (with spell portal), solid shooting in 6 bow hunters + treelord/durthu, and a solid melee threat in durthu. 

Overall, I am not overly pleased by this list.  I find the list to be very swingy, with the double bombs either carrying the game on their own or doing exactly nothing, the Kurnoth bows being very inconsistent, and durthu not being reliable when it comes to charging.  Additionally, as an 8 drop list, not being able to dictate turn order is bad, because sylvaneth really don't like being double-turned.  That being said, I have a lot more respect for dryads now (especially in expert conquerers), because the -1/-1 effect they have really forces opponents to commit into them to clear them, which leads to good setup for counter-charge threats like durthu.

Moving forward, I am looking to switch to the following list, which I expect to be more consistent:

- Glade: Heartwood
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Warsong Revenant (305)*
- General
- Command Trait: Spellsinger
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
- Lore of the Deepwood: Verdurous Harmony
Arch-Revenant (120)*
Treelord Ancient (360)*
- Lore of the Deepwood: Treesong

Battleline
6 x Kurnoth Hunters with Kurnoth Scythes (500)*
- Reinforced x 1
6 x Kurnoth Hunters with Kurnoth Greatbows (460)*
- Reinforced x 1
10 x Dryads (100)*
10 x Dryads (100)*

Spiteswarm Hive (40)

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment

Total: 1985 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 2 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 107
Drops: 1

This list has less spell power, but is more consistent in both shooting and melee due to the arch-revenant and the spiteswarm hive.  Battle Regiment in a 1 drop also gives me control of turn priority, which means that I can go first against alpha armies, and 2nd against anything else.  Arguments can be made for putting the dryads in conquerers to give better board control, but I'm not sold on that idea yet.

Finally, since I see it being brought up a lot, I think you HAVE to have a minimum of 1 set of trees.  Yes, the overgrown terrain is nice, but any battleplan that has the map split 50/50 can make getting sufficient overgrown terrain difficult, and the ability to put a tree down is vital to your gameplan.  For a list with spellsinger, I think that you need at least 3 sets of trees, as I regularly ran out of trees to put down by turn 4.  The only exception that I can think of for running trees is if you are going heavy on the bug riders, as their 14" movement means that you aren't relying on the trees for mobility like you would with any other sylvaneth list.

7 hours ago, readercolin said:

Overall, I am not overly pleased by this list.  I find the list to be very swingy, with the double bombs either carrying the game on their own or doing exactly nothing, the Kurnoth bows being very inconsistent, and durthu not being reliable when it comes to charging.  Additionally, as an 8 drop list, not being able to dictate turn order is bad, because sylvaneth really don't like being double-turned.  That being said, I have a lot more respect for dryads now (especially in expert conquerers), because the -1/-1 effect they have really forces opponents to commit into them to clear them, which leads to good setup for counter-charge threats like durthu.

I didn't like the double bomb list that much when I played it as well. If you ever try this list again I would suggest you change the spears for the Hive endless spell, it should help Durthu with his charges.

7 hours ago, readercolin said:

his list has less spell power, but is more consistent in both shooting and melee due to the arch-revenant and the spiteswarm hive.  Battle Regiment in a 1 drop also gives me control of turn priority, which means that I can go first against alpha armies, and 2nd against anything else.  Arguments can be made for putting the dryads in conquerers to give better board control, but I'm not sold on that idea yet.

I like this list, I have yet to play the 12 hunters lists, but I saw some tournaments lists that here pretty similar so it should have some legs. My only suggestion would be changing a unit of dryads for a unit of tree-revs, as they give you a nice utility late game.

3 hours ago, Hoseman said:

Thanks a lot for the comments @Arzalyn, its true that warsong is better because of leting take artefacts but I feel him so weak... Maybe with Seed of rebirth.

I'm happy to help! I never had much problem keeping the warsong alive with his ward + been able to hide it with the woods thanks to his wounds. So far I only used him while having spellsinger, so I tend to keep him at my back field most of the game.

For what it's worth, my Warsong (Spellsinger/Arcane Tome) never died in 13 tournament games, even when I lost (10W/1D/2L): as @Arzalyn said, he just stays in the back field, safe, and with 7W and a 4+ ward, healing at least 1 every turn, he's pretty resilient. He's had to leave his safety spot a couple times but with our teleports it's pretty easy to reposition him.