Let's Chat Sylvaneth

scrubyandwells

4x4 is too small in my view. Go for 6X4 if you can. 4x4 gives some armies a greater advantage but they can be fun for a change in friendly games. Use an L shaped one if you like :D

Opponents may try to spam chaff units forward to stop you placing wild woods so you maybe want to place it in the middle or over objectives so you can fight in them later. (Alpha Blocking)

If you're being defensive and want units in cover early place it in your half. As you advance you can try to place more but it's harder if the enemy is spread out. Sometimes placing one wood instead of 2 or 3 is better as it gives you other options. It also lessens the impact from the Orruk terrain destruction ability - I think it's the Iron Jaws general who has that? I haven't played many Sylvaneth games only 8 or 9 so enough to have an idea but there are more experts on here :) 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I usually place my first wood (at start of game, before deployment) in one of the deployment zones and, where possible, on an objective. If I win the roll off - great I'll pick the opposite table edge. If my opponent wins then they have to choose to either deny me my launchpad wood but then have it in their deployment zone and know that I'll be putting more woods down close to my deployment or allow me the launchpad wood and hope they can prevent me from growing more woods in places I want. I normally take Silverwood Circlet to give me larger range to cast wood growing spells.

Spirit Path Result.  If you roll a 1 and suffer Tangled Roots, does "doing nothing else for the rest of the turn" include not fighting back in combat?   I can see how the words could stop you piling in, but it's not clear that the models should not fight back?  How do people play this?

6 hours ago, Asu said:

Nice list ! Did you chose if you'll go with Flitterfuries or Squirmlings with Drycha ?

Thanks! I'll probably go with Flitterfuries to get a better sense of how to get the most out of it and keep her alive in the process. Squirmlings is a little more straightforward. :) 

40 minutes ago, Ian R said:

Spirit Path Result.  If you roll a 1 and suffer Tangled Roots, does "doing nothing else for the rest of the turn" include not fighting back in combat?   I can see how the words could stop you piling in, but it's not clear that the models should not fight back?  How do people play this?

Yep that's my understanding -- nothing else would mean literally nothing else: no fighting back, no armor saves, no Trample Underfoot. I'm not 100% sure on this, though. It would be highly unusual to find yourself in combat with a Tangled Root'ed unit, though, although not impossible..

39 minutes ago, scrubyandwells said:

Yep that's my understanding -- nothing else would mean literally nothing else: no fighting back, no armor saves, no Trample Underfoot. I'm not 100% sure on this, though. It would be highly unusual to find yourself in combat with a Tangled Root'ed unit, though, although not impossible..

The opponent would need to be able to charge in our charge phase? Is that really possible?

3 hours ago, scrubyandwells said:

I know at least Ironjawz can do it. 

Since realmroots puts any teleporting unit 9" or more from enemy units, it would be a long charge. And that's only if you you set up at minimum distance. Safe bet would be to put them 12.5" away if you're teleporting into a place where you could conceivably take a charge after a bad realmroot roll.

Sure you're giving up the possibly you could land a charge if you roll anything else (except a 6) on the table, but with a min distance of 9" it's a long charge no matter how you slice it. 

5 hours ago, scrubyandwells said:

Not being selected to attack makes sense. I'd say that the 'can do nothing else' rule means that you can't do anything with the unit that requires an act (the doing). So no selecting them to charge, or attack, or shoot, or use an ability. Anything that is passive or persisting would still happen, such as save rolls (otherwise you could argue that allocating wounds is doing something and refuse to allocate any!). Also if you're not rolling saves then should you roll battleshock? That could theoretically win you the game if you hold the objective in the final turn with 1 model more.

1 hour ago, Gilby said:

Not being selected to attack makes sense. I'd say that the 'can do nothing else' rule means that you can't do anything with the unit that requires an act (the doing). So no selecting them to charge, or attack, or shoot, or use an ability. Anything that is passive or persisting would still happen, such as save rolls (otherwise you could argue that allocating wounds is doing something and refuse to allocate any!). Also if you're not rolling saves then should you roll battleshock? That could theoretically win you the game if you hold the objective in the final turn with 1 model more.

Good points. That all makes sense to me. 

Had my first game today with sylveneth 

I know people not too keen on hunters anymore but I think the bows still are amazing plenty of damage 

Durthu ouch that man next to woods can be deadly think il keep him in army with 2 branchwych instead of having a treelord ancient 

love using trees and movement teleporting  

I've built this list to counter the Tzeentch nonsense. After 2 games where I got destroyed and suffered an average 20-25 mortal wounds/turn from balewind vortex+lord of change+changeling+gaunt summoner and skyfire friends, I think I can no longer ignore the fact that Sylvaneth lists need snipers. And kurnoth hunters are not the most cost efficient at that role, so...

Leaders

Knight-Venator (120)

Knight-Venator (120)

Knight-Venator (120)

Treelord Ancient (300)- General- Command Trait : Gnarled Warrior  - Artefact :  Wraithstone  - Deepwood Spell : Regrowth

Drycha Hamadreth (280)- Deepwood Spell : Verdant Blessing

Units

10 x Dryads (100)

10 x Dryads (100)

10 x Dryads (100)

3 x Kurnoth Hunters (220)-Scythes

10 x Dryads (100)

What do you think?

Scythes are great but hunters are a little slow for combat punch even with treeporting. Can you squeeze the Free spirits in there to get the extra movement? Drop Drycha and 1 Dryad unit for Durthu but no points left for Free spirits... Change remaining dryads to Revenants and get 60 pts towards it?

I used to use Free Spirits all the time, but with the price rise I'm really not that convinced about battallions being worth it anymore.

I can drop the ancient and drycha for a durthu and a branchwraith and the Free Spirits but I lose a behemoth and a useful command trait. That's one alternative. 

Yeah I don't know how much free spirits is now but hopefully it didn't go up as much as many others because it's not a one drop army battalion. We should pay more for battalions that allow you to do that. I welcome the cheaper revenants as they were too pricey before and I'm surprised they dropped Dryads in price as they are really good but raising hunters to 220 and all battalions increase in points will really mess up the sylvaneth (offset a little by some battleline price reductions). I thought they got the balance spot on before. Not too OP and fun to play. GW did a splendid job on the battletome but I'm not sure they work so well now. I now own more Hunters than I can squeeze into a game :$

6 hours ago, Columind said:

I've built this list to counter the Tzeentch nonsense. After 2 games where I got destroyed and suffered an average 20-25 mortal wounds/turn from balewind vortex+lord of change+changeling+gaunt summoner and skyfire friends, I think I can no longer ignore the fact that Sylvaneth lists need snipers. And kurnoth hunters are not the most cost efficient at that role, so...

Leaders

Knight-Venator (120)

Knight-Venator (120)

Knight-Venator (120)

Treelord Ancient (300)- General- Command Trait : Gnarled Warrior  - Artefact :  Wraithstone  - Deepwood Spell : Regrowth

Drycha Hamadreth (280)- Deepwood Spell : Verdant Blessing

Units

10 x Dryads (100)

10 x Dryads (100)

10 x Dryads (100)

10 x Dryads (100)

What do you think?

I ran a similar list just dropped 10 dryads and a venator so I had  6 scythes and 6 bow hunters I think 2 venators is enough.  I still think tzeentch skyfire spam is our main weakness but this kinda list gives us a chance. Do you still need to pay for seed of rebirth artefact effect in the new general's handbook? (Left my copy at the store) that could help us a lot as we can regrowth after. 

7 hours ago, Aezeal said:

You could've seen her in mine.. except my post from last week is 10 pages back by now :D

Yeah here's one I've been looking at. Still hoping to figure out a tournament-viable list w/ her. 

Alarielle
 Regrowth
Drycha
 Verdant Blessing
Branchwych
 Acorn of the Ages
 Throne of Vines
Knight-Azyros
10 Dryads
10 Dryads
5 Tree-Revenants
5 Tree-Revenants
3 Kurnoth Scythes
3 Kurnoth Bows
20 Eternal Guard

9 hours ago, choppa6189 said:

I ran a similar list just dropped 10 dryads and a venator so I had  6 scythes and 6 bow hunters I think 2 venators is enough.  I still think tzeentch skyfire spam is our main weakness but this kinda list gives us a chance. Do you still need to pay for seed of rebirth artefact effect in the new general's handbook? (Left my copy at the store) that could help us a lot as we can regrowth after. 

Nope, you don't have to pay reinforcement points to use Seed of Rebirth. 

That's a good challenge for us: Come up with lists more capable of taking on Tzeentch, without seriously harming our ability to take on a lot of other lists. 

16 hours ago, Columind said:

Leaders

• Knight-Venator (120)
  • Knight-Venator (120)
  • Knight-Venator (120)
  • Treelord Ancient (300)- General- Command Trait : Gnarled Warrior  - Artefact :  Wraithstone  - Deepwood Spell : Regrowth
  • Drycha Hamadreth (280)- Deepwood Spell : Verdant Blessing
  • 10 x Dryads (100)
  • 10 x Dryads (100)
  • 10 x Dryads (100)
  • 3 x Kurnoth Hunters (220)-Scythes
  • 10 x Dryads (100)

What do you think?

Definitely an interesting list.

I think the Venator looks intriguing on paper for us...at the same time, it's relying on those Star-Fated Arrow rolls working in our favor, which is the very definition of a dicey proposition.

I'm just not sure the above list is sufficiently capable of taking on a wide variety of lists, outside of just Tzeentch, and it's not that clear it would do very well vs 12+ Skyfires (which speaks to the challenge we face). I agree Tzeentch and other mortal-wound-spam armies are at the top of the list of difficult opponents for us, so we do need to figure out general-purpose lists that can at least compete against Tzeentch, rather than get mortal-wounded off the table every time.

It would be awesome to see more collective discussion here about ways we can take on some of the more powerful Tzeentch builds. While Skyfires have gone up, they're still very efficient for their points (vs most armies), and of course Tzeentch has the incredible combination of devastating magic, tons of chaff, and a nasty combat unit in the Tzaangors (who received a nice Mass Regiments discount), to go along with the Skyfires.

I'll give this some thought soon re: lists that could compete decently with Tzeentch and other heavy-mortal-wound armies. 

On 8/31/2017 at 10:49 PM, Dragon10 said:

Had my first game today with sylveneth 

I know people not too keen on hunters anymore but I think the bows still are amazing plenty of damage 

Durthu ouch that man next to woods can be deadly think il keep him in army with 2 branchwych instead of having a treelord ancient 

love using trees and movement teleporting  

Thanks for sharing!

Awesome to hear you had a great time with the army.

I've probably played over 100 games and still find the faction endlessly fascinating.

Hope to hear more about your experiences with the forest spirits.

Ok Aparat from my Dreadwood list that I'm playtesting I am planning to try out this army 

Alarielle + Verdant's Blessing

TLA + General + Oaken Armour + Regrowth + Gnarled Warrior

Drycha + Squirmlings + Dwellers 

2x5 Tree-Revs

20 Dryads

2x3 Kurnoths with Scythes

this list checks a lot of boxes for me. I guess I don't have much shooting and I have a lot of drops but I am fine with going second. There is little easy to kill units in this army and combination of TLA CA, Alarielle and extra Behemoth in Drycha is quite hard to deal with, Hunters are great to guiard objectives, and Alarielle with Drycha can hadle hordes with ease. TLA is great bunker especially with Alarielle ability and I have quite huge magic phase as well. 

12 hours ago, scrubyandwells said:

Definitely an interesting list.

I think the Venator looks intriguing on paper for us...at the same time, it's relying on those Star-Fated Arrow rolls working in our favor, which is the very definition of a dicey proposition.

I'm just not sure the above list is sufficiently capable of taking on a wide variety of lists, outside of just Tzeentch, and it's not that clear it would do very well vs 12+ Skyfires (which speaks to the challenge we face). I agree Tzeentch and other mortal-wound-spam armies are at the top of the list of difficult opponents for us, so we do need to figure out general-purpose lists that can at least compete against Tzeentch, rather than get mortal-wounded off the table every time.

It would be awesome to see more collective discussion here about ways we can take on some of the more powerful Tzeentch builds. While Skyfires have gone up, they're still very efficient for their points (vs most armies), and of course Tzeentch has the incredible combination of devastating magic, tons of chaff, and a nasty combat unit in the Tzaangors (who received a nice Mass Regiments discount), to go along with the Skyfires.

I'll give this some thought soon re: lists that could compete decently with Tzeentch and other heavy-mortal-wound armies. 

Had a game last night using this list against Flesheater Courts and won. Venators killed a full health mounted terrorgheist in a single shooting phase with their fate shot+the bird's attack (and I still missed one of the fate shots). After that they killed enough models to make me win objectives here and there and still helped with the model count. Definitely tipped the game in my favor.  I can see 3 of them taking out a lord of change with average dice and making balewind vortex nonsense go away. (Nobody wants to put a changeling or a gaunt summoner that high and visible against these guys.). I see them being also very useful against bloosecrators, etc which we have a problem getting to without going for kurnoth bows, so in general i think they're a cheaper and more versatile choice of shooting. Skyfires are still a problem, but without magic support, they won't be enough to win.

Won't leave home without two of these from now on.

Archived