Let's Chat Sylvaneth

scrubyandwells

I meant to ask, why don't more people run Treekin?  For 100pts they look pretty good.

Due to #CompendiumRisk

It's a real shame, as these would round out the army with a cheaper option that plugs the gap between Dryads and Kurnoth Hunters.

I would be immensely happy if the GH v2 narrowed the Compendium to the anachronistic named heroes ; and included all of what are now the Compendium units (i.e. those that aren't named characters) in the body of the armies (so Treekin would be within Sylvaneth and a few keywords would be fixed). I'm not hopeful enough to dream for more than that given the hatred of Compendium units in some quarters.  

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, as a complete newbie, Compendium risk?

Have you picked up a General's Handbook? If not, then it's a very useful book for all types of AoS games, whether open, narrative or matched/competitive play and very economically priced.

If yes, then at the back of the GH (as it's known), there are points/costs for Warscrolls and unit sizes and so on. These are for matched/competitive play (primarily).

At the back of that section is what is called the Compendium, which is a list of Warscrolls which are no longer manufactured for commercial reasons. 

For complicated and varying reasons, some players and events don't like using these and so the Warscrolls in the Compendium (or some of them, like Anachronistic Named characters) are banned (or pointed at a higher amount) at some independent events. It is not clear what will happen to these units going forward, both at independent events and at GW events that will use the second version of the GH (when it comes out - this summer?). It's a complicated and controversial issue. It's most relevant to Tomb Kings, who are even more controversial.

Treekin (sadly) are in the Compendium, despite themselves being pretty uncontroversial. 

I've used Compendium Risk to describe (I'm not saying that this is original) the risk that you buy or convert such models only to find that they are no longer usable at future events that you wish to attend.

I have 6 Hunter Sprues that would otherwise be built as Treekin because I'm concerned about Compendium risk.

Okay, I get it.  I have the GH and ran my first game with the old Dwarves battletome using those points values. 

I don't do tournaments or anything so it never occurred to me that those would go away.  Besides for my 500pt list I'm using Hunters with Scythes to proxy Treekin anyway so no risk of having useless models later.

15 minutes ago, Nico said:

For complicated and varying reasons, some players and events don't like using these and so the Warscrolls in the Compendium (or some of them, like Anachronistic Named characters) are banned (or pointed at a higher amount) at some independent events. It is not clear what will happen to these units going forward, both at independent events and at GW events that will use the second version of the GH (when it comes out - this summer?). It's a complicated and controversial issue. It's most relevant to Tomb Kings, who are even more controversial.

This seems somewhat regional. From what I've seen, the debate seems limited to events in the UK. Adepticon is fully allowing compendium units and armies with almost no comp (they are limiting unique characters and the bale wind vortex).

I think the reason we don't see more of them on the table is simply that the original models are god awful and difficult to get ahold of. I have 6 scratch built treekin (left over from my Wood Elf WHFB days) and have played them a few times. They're well worth the points and can soak a heck of a lot of damage. 

Personally I think the "compendium" debate is silly. They are fully pointed armies who also seem to be getting adjusted as the meta shifts. It's pretty obvious GW intends for them to be used in match play. As to "being too strong", I don't see how anybody can make that argument with a straight face while triple stardrakes, husktusk spam and Kunnin' Rukk armies are a thing. 

I don't think treekin will be in the sylvaneth list:

- they are not in the current lore

- their aesthetic doesn't fit with the rest of the army (they are plain ass ugly)

We are lucky they have the same keyword so can be used without breaking allegiance though.

24 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

I don't think treekin will be in the sylvaneth list:

- they are not in the current lore

- their aesthetic doesn't fit with the rest of the army (they are plain ass ugly)

We are lucky they have the same keyword so can be used without breaking allegiance though.

Wait, which list are you talking about? There's plenty of lists that could make use of Treekin and they certainly fill a hole in our army make-up. As to aesthetic, i don't know a single person who used the old metal models. They are easy enough to convert out of spare citadel woods.

IMG_1149.JPG.99518d82106d40663bc689daab4bbe69.JPG:

Not being "mentioned" in the lore doesn't mean anything. If it has points and a warscroll: fair game.  

This seems somewhat regional. From what I've seen, the debate seems limited to events in the UK. 

Yep.

Wait, which list are you talking about? There's plenty of lists that could make use of Treekin and they certainly fill a hole in our army make-up. As to aesthetic, i don't know a single person who used the old metal models. They are easy enough to convert out of spare citadel woods.

Yep.

I would convert from Hunter Torsoes and maybe do Witch Aelf heads to make them female.

2 hours ago, Mirage8112 said:

IMG_1149.JPG.99518d82106d40663bc689daab4bbe69.JPG:

Not being "mentioned" in the lore doesn't mean anything. If it has points and a warscroll: fair game.  

I don't say it's not fair game (I'm using a unit of them in my 1500 point army).. I'm just saying that if GW wanted them in the new list (and out of compendium) and keep the models they'd have put them in there.

2 hours ago, Nico said:

Yep.

Yep.

I would convert from Hunter Torsoes and maybe do Witch Aelf heads to make them female.

Or just use Hunter and remove the weapons and use the spare hands from spite revenatns from  a kit used to build tree rev's. Then they'd be low grade Kurnoths without weapons.. which actually reflects their stats reasonably well.. they'd be expensive as hell.. but if you use their torso's you're gonna need a hit anyway

I agree that Treekin are hard, and the old models are also ugly as sin, but I had 9 from my LOTR days so I got a bag of pointy tree sprues from a model railroad store and glued them all over, glued the trees on 50mm round bases, then glued clumps of green rr foliage on the limbs. Now they look like walking trees and the dumb parts don't stand out. The best part is these 9 can also be used as 3 Wildwoods, with their bases defining the shape inside, since I got tired of the plastic Wildwoods and dumb plastic leaves, and this looks much better on the board.

Well reavers on the other side of the table I found very very annoying.

I think our own army has most bases covered well by dryads and hunters. Maybe the new Stormcast long range shooters with rend 2 might have a role? Or if you want a unit with more save on chaff to defend objectives not near woods then I'm sure there are options (though treeking are probably a good option too except they might not fill the nr of models requirement in cretain scenarios). Maybe something to deal mortal wounds.. but I'm not sure what unit would be best in that role.

All in all I don't think I'd take the formation mainly for that if you don't like the other abilitis it brings.

I'm pretty sure you would get the Verdurous Harmony spell, since it says a Gnarlroot Wizard knows it, but am less sure about the Deepwood Spell Lore ones. Page 108 says each Wizard in the Sylvaneth army knows an additional spell from that lore, but could that mean only Sylvaneth Wizards?

17 hours ago, Mossback said:

I'm pretty sure you would get the Verdurous Harmony spell, since it says a Gnarlroot Wizard knows it, but am less sure about the Deepwood Spell Lore ones. Page 108 says each Wizard in the Sylvaneth army knows an additional spell from that lore, but could that mean only Sylvaneth Wizards?

I'm currently putting my Sylvaneth Gnarlroot Wargrove force together and there does seem to be some inconsistencies in how Deepwood spells are generated.

Looking at it while this may not be intentional and is probably just bad wording, if you generate spells randomly/pick for each separate wizard the only qualifier is that they are a Wizard that is in a Sylvaneth allegiance army. Whereas if you randomly generate/pick a spell that all your wizards know they do have to be a Sylvaneth Wizard.

Obviously this only applies to Gnarlroot/Winterleaf as you can grab an Order Wizard/Unit without breaking your allegiance and I don't think it was intended to work this way. 

I don't think you can choose Deepwood spells with non-Sylvaneth wizards, Order wizard does not break Sylvaneth allegiance but doesn't get Sylvaneth keyword (that's important for example in terms of casting Spells near Sylvaneth Wyldwood)

Teclis is awesome but very expensive but his spell is so great and tactical :D I love him and used him in 2000+ armies

With Gnarlroot, the Order wizard does not break Sylvaneth Allegiance and they can have a Deepwood lore spell.  However, only the TLA, Branchwych or Branchwraith can cast or unbind an extra spell.

Jimbo

20 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

With Gnarlroot, the Order wizard does not break Sylvaneth Allegiance and they can have a Deepwood lore spell.  However, only the TLA, Branchwych or Branchwraith can cast or unbind an extra spell.

Jimbo

Would the Order Wizard then be allowed to have the Verdurous Harmony and one additional spell from the Deepwood Lore? That would make my zippy Sisters of the Thorn even more useful.

Archived