AoS 2 - Clan Verminus / Skaven Discussion

Gaz Taylor

@Malios  What Skreech said: Units of 20 Clanrats die to a stiff breeze and often hit like wet noodles. You need more bodies to protect all of your ranged units. That said, you don't care much for competitiveness so I say go for it and see how it feels! Makes changes as needed\if you so choose.

And yes, welcome. More Skaven players are always nice to have.

I aquired about 3k in skaven this week from ebay and am contemplating what to keep 

I like the idea of a skaven army, and I love a lot of the miniatures, especially all the heroes, large and small, and the various war machines /artillary. 
My only problem is the idea of painting/basing clan rats.   I have a SC pestilens box that i use with my nurgle army, and based on my experience painting 20 plague monks, I do not think I would enjoy painting 100+ clan rats.   My todo list already has 100+ saurus warriors / skinks and 100 moonclan grots soon, and I enjoy both of those more than clan rats. 

I have 40 stormvermin. Love those models.   I am going to paint 20 more plague monks (need them for my nurgle army anyway) 
I LOVE stormfiends, but I don't have any. 

Of course the problem is allegiances and battleline requirements.  I can't taste the glory of the skaven rainbow without a minimum of 60 clan rats. 

Anyone else in the same boat? Do you just pay a 360pt tax and expect those rats to not do very much?    

Any tips on really quick and dirty painting for clan rats?  Usually I do like 10-15 passes on my infantry models , but I'm hoping I can find a better way. 

21 hours ago, sorokyl said:

Any tips on really quick and dirty painting for clan rats?  Usually I do like 10-15 passes on my infantry models , but I'm hoping I can find a better way. 

Spray your clanrats with the leather brown spray from armypainter.

afterwords base paint all the clothing and weapons/Armour, (edit:) teeth’s with a color scheme you want. And paint the tail (edit): ears Chadian fleshtone.

thirdly wash your whole model with Agra’s earth shade.

and lastly paint the eyes red.

And with this guide you will have finished your clanrats model in around 7-10minutes.

edit: If you want to go even further, you can also drybrusch your miniature.

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 8:17 AM, Gwendar said:

I'm still holding out hope that we see something in 2019. Regardless, we can do well if played correctly, which has been a major reason I am moving towards more bodies\mixed lists than pure Skryre. Everyone understands how Gautfyre works, and even if they don't, completely decimating an opponent in 1 turn isn't fun for anyone unless you like being "that guy".

I run Gautfyre every so often in casual matches and I have been surprised at how limiting it still is. The first turn crunch can be devastating against low model count high armor armies like stormcast but any army that has any amount of chaff with or without deploying them correctly quickly eats up all the MW output the enginecoven has. I have yet to win turn one with it, despite it being a devastating turn to say the least, and my opponents know to hang in there. I would argue that the feeling of being "that guy" is usually elevated by the match-up of armies, especially against most Order lists.

• Like 1

@Riff_Raff_Rascal The last time I used it was a few months before 2.0 dropped against DoK, Seraphon and FeC lists and it absolutely devastated each one. The Seraphon player still managed to win by picking up the objective and teleporting his remaining 20 block of Skinks around and I could never catch them.

I never used it again as it clearly disheartened each opponent, despite me warning them ahead of time what it did; they still deployed terribly and let it happen. I've never felt like "that guy" but when the vast majority of my local scene are more casual players, I often find myself apologizing after every good roll and holding back what I do so as to not run anyone off. Skryres high MW output makes that harder to do. People have a hard time understanding it's a dice game and AoS can be very swingy,

@Gwendar Yeah, the straight MW output makes it tough to feel like you're playing the actually game of AOS (no attack sequence and the like). Lots of new players would assume Skryre works on a whole 'nother level. I'm curious though if you felt like you were having fun playing Skryre. It sounds more like you guilt tripped yourself out of playing gautfyre at least. Personally, the moments I don't play gautfyre are when I think that it wont be fun, not because of what my opponent might think but rather the army being somewhat one-dimensional. 

13 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Spray your clanrats with the leather brown spray from armypainter.

afterwords base paint all the clothing and weapons/Armour, (edit:) teeth’s with a color scheme you want. And paint the tail (edit): ears Chadian fleshtone.

thirdly wash your whole model with Agra’s earth shade.

and lastly paint the eyes red.

And with this guide you will have finished your clanrats model in around 7-10minutes.

edit: If you want to go even further, you can also drybrusch your miniature.

Same here.

Fur brown army painter undercoat

Base the clothes, armor and a few details

Wash agrax

Dry brush cadian fleshtone on the flesh, and some colors on the clothes/armors.

I do each step on 10 to 20 clanrats at a time.

Good luck and may the Horned Rat be with you...

IMG_20180529_153723.jpg

Edited by Num
  • Like 3

@sorokyl I would second @Skreech Verminking painting advice. I painted 160 clanrats by hand. Including the base coat. Nobody ask why. I apparently had nothing else going on. Dont do that for the base coat. Use any brown spray of matte finish. 

In addition, you may want to quick base them. If doing the quick route, spray your base coat with the model on base, then clear drying glue, then your sand/dirt. The dark brown base coat will act as your shade without spending time actually putting a shade on each clanrat. 

Also in line with Skreech, use agrax earthshade if at all. My friends often push me to use nuln oil, to make 'em "dirtier rats". Nuln oil is the bane of color and contrast, especially if you wont add more layers afterward. 

Less important but a matter of opinion,  recommend spending the time to paint ears, nose and tail with bugman's glow instead of cadian fleshtone. They are the most unique feature of ye' rats as opposed to other humanoid battlelines out there. Bugman's glow is more pink as well, as opposed to the lighter flesh tones of  the other humanoid miniatures. You can always add cadian later if you dont like it. 

Most importantly, do other fun projects in between. Do 20 clanrats, then a hero for example. This is a marathon, no need to get em all done at once. 

Edited by Riff_Raff_Rascal
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Riff_Raff_Rascal said:

@Gwendar Yeah, the straight MW output makes it tough to feel like you're playing the actually game of AOS (no attack sequence and the like). Lots of new players would assume Skryre works on a whole 'nother level. I'm curious though if you felt like you were having fun playing Skryre. It sounds more like you guilt tripped yourself out of playing gautfyre at least. Personally, the moments I don't play gautfyre are when I think that it wont be fun, not because of what my opponent might think but rather the army being somewhat one-dimensional. 

I would say that I only guilt-tripped myself out of Gautfyre. Skryre as a whole is my favorite and most played army that I own and that will probably never change. Running 80 Clanrats has made a world of difference compared to the old lists I used to run and the threat of 2 WLC's potentially firing 4 times total each phase is a good distraction that people try to avoid and I find I can easily use them on one side to funnel players away from them and into my Clanrat anvils + Stormfiend hammers. I've found Skryre feels mostly 1-dimensional when I do use a battalion other than 2xArkhspark as everything is so expensive that it's hard to branch out.

I just love Skaven in general which is why I'm excited to get started on my mixed list posted previously. When I want to give people an easier time (and not feel guilty for sniping their characters with WLC's or deleting whole units in 1 turn of combat with Shock Gauntlets), I just play my 1k Eshin army and call it a day.

@Skreech Verminking At work so I don't have my books, but I believe it's in the core rules close to the section about named characters, one of the first sections in the book, maybe page 10-20?

It is very much still a thing that you can only have 1 of each and cannot duplicate them. I believe if that were not the case, you would've been seeing everyone taking multiples of the same thing.

41 minutes ago, Gdead909 said:

Hey guys looking at picking up skaven. Right now I play FEC so I am used to horde style play. What should I be looking to pick up? Skaven is So broad but I love those models.

Jokes aside, is there a particullary side you are most interested in using, like heavy shooting or more of a mix of everything?

21 minutes ago, Gdead909 said:

Eventually I will venture over into the heavy shooting of skryre but right now I want to start with a mixture

Well since your interested in a more mixed skaven army, you’ll firstly need at least 60 (3x20) clanrats. Or if you know what’s good for you around 120of them😅.

afterwards you’re literally free to take any kind of skaveni units you like.

you could like add next to maybe a hero (best bet would be an Arch warlock, our most survivable character) Stormfiends.

They are perfect in flaming your foes to ash or destroying units in combat if rightly used. 

If its more of a shooty list , that has maybe a greater range than 8”, try filling your back line with warplightning cannon our not so often used plague claws and poisoned wind mortars. (although the last option will be a small bit challenging to buy, since Gw doesn’t produce the blood island kit anymore and that was the only box set which had that amazing weapon team, converting If it is fine with you is probably the more cheaper and easier way of getting them).

of course there are also jezzails teams, but for their hit role of 4 and costing 140p, will usually be useless for you since the only reason you would have taken them was to snipe Enemys key characters.

well now it’s a small bit hard doing that if your snipers will hit them only on a 5 or 6

2 hours ago, Gdead909 said:

Well sweet I have 80 clan rats lined up plus 40 storm vermin.

Since they havent given us a new book looks like we just run them as mixed chaos.

Yeah sadly skaven haven‘t gotten any love since now.

But hey at least they are still a vaiable faction existing in the realms.

not like a certain french faction or their counterpart dead egypt-things.

(oh how i miss the good old times, when Queek was still alive😭😭)

ps: also there have been rumors that their may be a release for the skaven faction late february 2019.

so don‘t give your hopes up we will still have enough time kill-slaying man-things,

take-steal city burrows.

Yes-yes our time is coming.

fear the danger from beneath

Edited by Skreech Verminking