AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

Hello guys, maybe Sunday game against Tzeentch and I will have to test my list again, I will start from what he did well against the DoK, 2x40 chairasp, 2 Guardian and 2x4 Chainghast, with something new in addition.

Guardian x2 280
Chainrasp 40 280
Chainrasp 40 280
Chainrasp 10 80
Chainghast 4 160
Chainghast 4 160
Myrmourn 8 160
Bladegheist 15 270
Bladegheist 15 270
Cronomatic Cogs 60

I made some changes to last week's list, I added two Bladegheist units to improve the assault department. If the Chainghast do their job, the second wave of Bladegheist should allow me to clean up what remains of the enemy hordes. I gave up the heroes too, I can hardly ever get the second save, so I try to bet on more units.
Tips?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Espy85 said:

Tips?

I had a 2k game today at my local GW store against the manager, hopefully my musings will provide some tips.

I only had 1540pts of models on me today as I was planning on playing 2 x 1k games. So being so under on points I took 9 extra CP. My opponent ran SCE and we played an open war mission, on a 4x4 board. The mission was where an objective randomly appears on the board in turn 3. I managed to get a draw and my last surviving models, 2 chainrasps were 1" away from claiming the objective and winning the game. It was lots of fun, with crazy dice rolls happening on both sides. 

The reason I took the 2 x 1k lists was solely to test out bladegheists and harridans. I didn't have cogs or the healing GoS either. I was running the army and units as vanilla as possible to really test out how the units performed under minimum buff conditions. I was running them in units of 10 and had one unit of 10 blades with 2x2 chainghasts for support and one unit of 10 blades with a torment for support. My conclusion, the torment supported blades were so much more effective than the chainghasts supported blades and by a long distance, this is for a few key reasons. The chainghasts don't get re-rolls themselves, so the shooting is hitting on 4s and it's D3 shots. In the 3 rounds of shooting, both units did around 3 unsaved damage. The -2 rend is great but the 1 damage is not. So I was hoping to soften up my targets prior ro to the blades going in and doing their murdering, yet the chainghasts didn't do enough work prior to the blades engaging. The other issue was while the chainghasts did provide the re-rolls to the blades (which is so gross, charging blades with re-rolls are gross), chainghasts don't have the hero keyword, so don't provide the death save to the unit. The torment supporting the other unit was also healing back lost blades due to the amount that the blades killed in combat. Having run the 2 x 10 blades with both options of support for re-rolls I'll be using torments every time without question. If the chainghasts shooting was D3 damage or they got to re-roll their own failed hits then maybe I'd consider them as an option, but they just didn't do enough for the points. Having 2x2 did help to increase the re-roll aura area and it did help to split focus with attacks, but the torment giving death saves and healing twice a battle round proved to be so much more effective. 

In terms of unit size, 10 worked better than I expected and also better than I had experienced in previous tests, but they were so susceptible to mortal wounds, one unit took 9 mortals from 3 spirit flasks being used and having no death save, it basically killed the unit. I also struggled to get all 10 into combat most of the time. It's so tempting to max out the unit and get the horde bonus on points, but the 1" range creates a lot of redundancy and increases the difficulty in staying wholly within 12" for re-rolls and death saves. I am still on the fence whether 15 or 20 is the way to go to be honest, as the points saving on 20 makes them such a good unit choice, but 10 was not enough to account for our mediocre healing abilities, although it did make keeping in range of buffs and auras incredibly easy and it became something that almost happened naturally without having to think about it. 

The harridans also really pulled their weight, a lot more so than I was expecting. I ran them in a unit of 10 as well. Again if they had the support of a torment and were in 15+, they could be a really horrible unit. Having the guaranteed 3 attacks and not needing to have charged to get that bonus attack meant when the unit was still engaged in combat during the opponents turn, they still put out a lot of damage, especially when rolling 6s on the wound rolls. I'm definitely going to invest in some more for future games. They work a lot differently from the blades but can be just as effective, if not more so at times. In my game tonight, they outlasted the 2 units of blades by 2 turns, which is a lot. 

So in summary: The best support unit option for blades and harridans is the torment, the difference in how those units perform with and without that torment support is like day and night. Chainghasts may work as a separate unit but they just don't do enough damage with their shooting to soften up units as much as you need them to. 

Another unexpected positive that came from today's game was having 10+ CP to use. Being able to re-roll all the charges, even ones where I'm 3" away, to get wave of terror, was ridiculous. Although I'd never go 500pts under in future games, I am seriously toying with going 100pts-200pts under for future games. Doing that to get the extra CP and guarantee getting a triumph roll is certainly getting the brain thinking a lot. It's not great that we can't go under in points and just summon in the missing points, but having so much flexibility early in the game was a massive reason why I was able to eek out a draw against an army with 500pts more of models. Considering that our 10+ charge is what wins most of the games we all play, having 3 or 4 big, horrible units drop 9" away and being able to re-roll the charge on all of those units is such a massive thing. If you make your opponent take 1st turn or you go 2nd anyway, underworlding the big units and gambling for the double turn, with 10+ charges and re-rolls for days can literally wipe an army off the board in a turn or two. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

Another unexpected positive that came from today's game was having 10+ CP to use. Being able to re-roll all the charges, even ones where I'm 3" away, to get wave of terror, was ridiculous.

I wonder if this is also a case for running battalions. That extra CP it gives you can be clutch.

• Like 1

First of all thanks to @Tropical Ghost General, your advice made me think. I wanted to ask if you've got to use the chainghast in close combat, because according to my calculations, against units with 25mm bases can get to make about 14 attacks per model a total would be 60 attacks, which could make 20 wounds, allowing me to thin out the large units, such as witches, Tzangor, skeletons etc. and then assault the enemy units with the bladegheist reduced to a minimum, eliminating them permanently. My doubts are on units with 32mm or larger bases, the number of attacks of the chainghast would be reduced a lot and would lose the saturation effect, so I have to evaluate whether to use 2x4 or only 1x4. I see that the goal right now goes to the hordes, even the sylvaneth are renouncing units like the Kurnoths to aim for large units of Dryads.
For dreadscythe, I have always preferred them to bladegheist, just for the 3 permanent attacks and the possibility of doubling the damage with a 6. The fact is that in the list I will try I deploy only 2 heroes, and my feeling is that without buff , bladegheist can be better.
Also lately, just to get more CP, I'm thinking of going back to using the Shrieker Host. Analyzing the benefits, if my tactics work, prevent enemy units reduced to a minimum, to save yourself with a 1 in the Text Shock with an inspiring presence. And I would have 2 artifacts to be exploited

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Espy85 said:

if you've got to use the chainghast in close combat,

Not really. Against SCE everything is on super big bases and has multiple wounds, so the few times the chainghasts were in combat it was against single models doing a single attack for a single damage, hitting on 4 with no re-rolls ?. They should work well against single wound hordes, but I have a feeling that in order to keep coherency going against units larger than 15-20 models will result in a few rounds of combat, especially if the target unit has fnp saves, healing or summoning abilities. The more I'm looking at chainghasts it's not as an aggressive attacking force but much more as a light skirmish unit for taking objectives late game. If an opponent has stuck a minimum small chaff unit to hold an objective, having the chainghasts come in from underworlds, shoot and charge at a 10 man skink unit or something similar to claim the objective, I think would work really well and where they would shine. 

The only thing I will say, is it was the first time of taking them out last night and 2 dudes had chains snap off. I packed them well but the chains snapped. Am now having to look at ways to fix them ?

With regards to battalions and CP, it's not often that I play SCE, usually it's other DEATH, lizards or daemons, who all have bravery 10, so most of the bravery based attacks and buffs don't work, but they were great against the majority of SCE units. Having so much CP spare to use against them made it a re-roll marathon. It has got me thinking on whether the battalions are worth it but I still feel that the unit tax or cost for all of them is too high. The shrieker host is designed for low bravery hordes, against anything else and it's not nearly as effective, it definitely can be useful but in order to get the artefact and CP your having to take units that you wouldn't normally want to take. For me personally I wouldn't run myrmourns is less than 8, ideally 1 unit if 12, they are way to squishy. Tomb Banshees are so bad it's both funny and sad at the same time and harridans, would only be 1 unit of 15-20. With the shrieker host, you spend 140pts for the battalion and then (in my opinion) you spend 80pts for the tomb banshee, another 160pts for the extra unit of myrmourns and to make the harridans effective you take 2 x 15, so another 10-15 more than normal, which is another 180pts. For me this is the unit tax your paying, 420pts of models that you don't really need as they are already in the army list and are duplicating or are not very good. Now not everyone will view 2 units of myrmourns as duplicates so the unit tax will differ, but the way I play I don't need to run 2 myrmourns and 2 harridans and certainly not a tomb banshee. For me I'd end up spending 560pts on battalion cost and unit tax for the extra relic, the extra CP and the battalion benefits. When I'm looking at whether battalions are worth it, this is the sort of thinking that I'm assessing. Looking at death stalkers, which I was running for a while, the unit tax was 240pts in glaivewraiths. They allowed me to deploy the big units of grims off the board and could sit on backfield objectives, denying deepstriking. The cairn wraith was also part of the tax, but I was running the CP farm with the Hysh brooch and Kurdoss, so sticking him on a back field objective and regening CP sort of made him worth it, but in order to get the battalion bonuses, I was paying 420pts in battalion costs and unit tax. It's a lot of points to pay. I'm still currently of the thinking that I'd rather spend 420pts on extra models and extra CP than the battalions. If they all had the option to take 2-3 units rather than 2, it would make getting your compulsory battleline units in 1 drop, which would change things massively, whereas at the moment, the only battalion that let's you do that is the Lord Ex battalion and SHs are too high a unit tax to bother with. It's worth really looking at how much you are having to spend to get those bonuses and whether those bonuses are worth it.

Again for me personally, I wouldn't run myrmourns in less than 12 and not without using a torment with midnight tome as my general, casting shackles endless spell for them to eat, then healing them afterwards, it makes them so much more effective and re-rolling 1s means they are a mini 210pt, 12 wound, hammer of a fake-behemoth (24 attacks, hits on 4s re-roll 1s, wound on 3s, -2 rend, D3 damage is gross). Your looking at roughly 8-9 attacks getting through at -2 rend, so most things won't get saves on will be rolling 5s or 6s, so on average doing 6-7 x D3 damage (or 12-14) with the unit. Then getting healed with the torment's ability and ruler of the spirit hosts, which gives them the longevity. So with the shrieker host, running them vanilla without support, it's a very different unit, using 8 in a unit (because you need to fill 2 units), it's 8 attacks, 4s, 3s, -2, D3. On average getting just 2-3 attacks through to be saved, causing just 1-2 D3 damage (or 2-4). The consistency of how they perform needs to be evaluated when making the choices with battalions and unit tax. Knowing on average that 8 unsupported myrmourns will do 4 damage compared to 12 supported myrmourns doing 14 damage makes the difference between having 2 units that can almost kill a minor hero to killing a big monster and for not many more points (12 myrmourn, torment & shackles is 350pts, or 2 x 8 myrmourns is 320pts). Now the myrmourns can attack stuff that doesn't get a save against -2 rend as well but they are very squishy as a unit choice for the cost and damage output. Even if you run 12 vanilla in your battalion, it's an average of 4-6 damage, which for 210pts isn't great. You get a slightly better damage average with harridans and even better damage average with blades for the same points cost when running them as vanilla units compared to the myrmourns. Now the myrmourns can eat spells which is great, but you need 8+ in the unit to make it worth while. I used some in my game against Tzeentch, a unit of 12, and even with 3+ unbind, Tzeentch have destiny dice and horrible spells. The myrmourn unbind is 18", which puts you in range for all of their spells and they have a lot ?. So you might be luckily and roll a 9+ to unbind, but a single roll of six from Tzeentch can become a 13 with destiny dice (even worse if mystical terrain is used and there is an arcane terrain ?). So if you unbind the spell, you then have a 12 wound unit, potentially without hero support for mortal wound saves, in range of the rest of the Tzeentch casting. It's such a risk and a points heavy risk as well. 

The other school of thought with myrmourns is in minimum units of 4 and deepstriking in to maybe unbind a spell. It's basically an 80pts gamble to get a +1 to an unbind for a unit that will 100% then die that turn. The average damage from attacks in an unbuffed unit of 4 being 0-2 if you are lucky. I think they excel against other mediocre magic armies, like SCE, but against super magic armies like Tzeentch and LoN, they become so neutered against the greater magic shenanigans. 

@Espy85 I think if you want to take a battalion for the extra relic and CP, then going for the cheaper shroudguard, which doesn't really have a unit tax if you are taking 2 units of blades anyway, gives you the extra bonuses of relic and CP for 110pts + unit tax of the hero of choice. You can still take myrmourns and harridans if you want, but against bravery 10 Tzeentch, who also aren't really a horde army, you won't really get units larger than 10-20, the perks of the shrieker host will unfortunately get wasted on them. And after last night's game I had with the blades, the thought of taking a KoSos and giving the blades the extra attack when in your opponent's combat phase suddenly becomes really useful, as they maintain 3 attacks constantly, though I think for CP efficiency, although using a VL's extra attack would be better option overall. 

10 hours ago, dmorley21 said:

That extra CP it gives you can be clutch.

I'm currently thinking that 1 extra CP isn't enough to be honest. And the points tax and unit tax in taking multiple battalions isn't worth it. As our whole army goes from OK to gross on a 10+ charge, it effectively becomes a free unit. So last night 10 blades got a 10+ charge and killed 3 dracolines. So for 1CP (50pts) a 180pt unit took out a 300pt unit. I'm thinking of changing my mind on battalions a bit and running shroudguard and then going under on points by 100pts 150pts. Having 4-5 CP and taking two relics (gildanbane and pendant of the fell wind). It means having 200pts-250pts less models but it would give a guaranteed triumph roll. Being able to re-roll all failed hits or wounds or saves once in the game for a chosen unit is huge. 

These are the 3 lists that I'm toying with. All slightly different but all working on the premises of re-rolling a lot of charges. One of the GoS's is the special anniversary one. I'll probably test out the last one as it's the most vanilla out of them all and see where it has holes/flaws. 

IMG_20181108_101544.jpg

IMG_20181108_101758.jpg

IMG_20181108_101916.jpg

Edited by Tropical Ghost General
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

Your logic pertaining to said army composition is bringing me down!!!?

Just doing my part as a mortarch of grief ?

I haven't heard any news on another FAQ. We've had the general one 2 weeks after the book being released. I know that nightvault, the new underworlds season, got an FAQ recently. Might it be that that you've heard of? 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

The only thing I will say, is it was the first time of taking them out last night and 2 dudes had chains snap off. I packed them well but the chains snapped. Am now having to look at ways to fix them ?

Perhaps use two pieces of wire spun together and make "rope"ghasts...

This is a fear of mine ad well. 

This is my back up plan or use small modeling chain and super glue it to shape.

Once more into the breach, dear friends, once more! And close up the wall with our Nighthaunt dead!

It is time once again to face down the hated Daughters of Khaine, this time in a 1250 point game. I have brought a great host of Grimghast Reapers and Chainrasps, ably supported (I hope) by a pair of Guardians, a Spirit Torment and some Bladegheist Revenants. I'm really keeping my fingers crossed  for some Endless Spells doing some work this time, and I desperately have to find a way to take the support characters down as soon as possible, or I'm toast. Strike hard, strike fast.

All hail Nagash!

Edit: Nagash has withheld his favour. Bitter defeat. The dice were turds and magic failed me utterly. I struck neither hard nor fast and the sum total of my achievement was 21 dead Witch Elves. I will never take two GoS again, and the only units to do anything were the Chainrasps and the Spirit Torment. 

I just don't know what to do against Daughters. Their buffs are easier to get, their troops are better, they're just as fast, they seem to all blow up when they die so I do more damage to myself than them, they don't give a damn about magic...

Despair.

Edited by Kirjava13
  • Sad 1

Played in a Path to Glory league this past weekend. I started with:

Guardian of Souls (Ruler of the Spirit Hosts, Beacon)

10 Chainrasp

10 Grimghast Reapers

1 Tomb Banshee

I played against Slaanesh, (Keeper, 2 units of Seekers). We were playing a narrative version of Gift of the Heavens. She slammed some Seekers into my face turn 1 and it became a 4 turn meat grinder or recursion as my spell always went off but she rolled a 1 on bravery to get back more Seekers. In the end I killed everything but the Keeper, she killed everything but the Guardian and the Banshee but I missed the first turn of holding the objective and couldn't disrupt her win.

It was a really fun game though and I was pretty impressed with RotSH + Lure bringing back my reapers to full every turn.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kirjava13 said:

All hail Nagash!

Praise be our Lord and Saviour. 

I started reading your post with such optimisium and hope ?

DoK are a tough match up for us. If tye basic troops don't do extra mortal wounds when they attack, they do extra mortal wounds when they die. My friend was telling me about how he has figured out a combo that allow morathi to instantly kill a unit and while in her full form and the only way to counter it is to pick which of your more valuable units that you want to die ?

How come the double GoS failed? Was it 2 x vanilla or 1 of each type? Also hiw did the grims and blades fail? 

Finally, apart from bad dice rolls, what do you think would have helped to turn the tides of battle in your favour? Extra CP? Lady O? etc... 

• Thanks 1

Double GoS failed because of the dice- I had 1x Nightmare Lantern and 1x Mortality Glass. The Nightmare Lantern did good work buffing the Chainrasps, but apart from that, they only got one spell off each and that was in the first turn, setting up the Chronomantic Cogs and moving the Chainrasps a bit. The second turn was the crucial one and nothing went right. Even with the charge buff from the Cogs, the Bladegheists failed their charge and the Grimghasts only just made theirs, so no Wave of Terror for me. I had charged the Cauldron because it just needed to die- take it out and not only are they down a powerful fighting unit, but they lose that Hagg Narr bonus, the Bloodshield, a source of prayers and buffs... The Reapers piled in to both the Cauldron and a Hag Queen (who had done a wound to herself with a failed prayer), and did a grand total of 2 wounds to the Cauldron. What was I expecting? They had no buffs and didn't even proc their own hit rerolls because I had put them into a single model. The Slaughter Queen and Avatar proceeded to put the hurt on them, and after his second turn, when a unit of Melusai and a second Slaughter Queen joined the fray, they were wiped out. 30 Reapers dead for no loss to him (he had even healed the two wounds I put on the Cauldron for good measure). With the Chainrasps down to less than a third of their starting strength and stuck in combat with about 40 elves, I called it. Short of miracle dice there was no way to salvage the situation, and time was getting on anyway.

Apart from genuinely miserable dice (I couldn't make a 4+ save for love or money), I think I lost by second-guessing myself. I had already determined that I needed to strike hard and strike first, but then I didn't! I decided not to bring the Grims and Blades on for a first turn charge and instead used the Cogs for an extra spell, and even that I misjudged! I should have put Shademist or Mystic Shield on the Chainrasps again, but I genuinely didn't think there was a chance of the Witch Elves charging. In the end they ran 6" and charged 9"- see, ghosts, somebody knows how to do it. Bah. I should have just gambled it all on a first turn charge and damned the consequences- worst case scenario, I would have lost more quickly. I should have charged the Reapers into the Witches or the Sisters, where they could actually have done some good, and- and I keep bloody making this mistake- I should have been more aggressive with my characters' deployment. They're useless if they can't buff anyone.

I was expecting to lose, but dammit.

• Sad 1

Played a game last night, a 2v2 1k a player game. Not super serious as most of us were half cut by the time we started.

Anyways I learnt that 10 grimghast unsupported, do not enjoy being charged by soul grinders.

Blood reavers dont run when people say they have bravery 9 (I now know they are bravery 5......)

Moonclan gobbos need to be in units larger then 20

Blobs of chainrasps, if left to be able to heal every turn, dont tend to die to only 1 damage attacks.

Nagash should make you feel filthy in the hero phase (just casually throw out 8 spells)

Bladeghiest are awesome, being able to retreat and charge is cool, plus near a spirit torment and guardian of souls is gross (hitting on 3s rerolling, wounding on 2s)

Moonclan shamans doing mushrooms and dropping moons on people is both funny, and rude.

Fantatics seem scary, but ethereal 

Edited by adreal
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Kirjava13 said:

They're useless if they can't buff anyone.

Yes they are.

So it seems that it was a bit of deployment issue and also target priority. I've had so many issues with grims attacking unbuffed that I don't even bother to target single models with them. So something that I've found useful, but super risky, is giving my opponent 1st turn, and aiming for the double turn. I find us to be a massive gamble army (amongst other things ?), so playing for the risky strategies can create an interesting synergy of brutality. By initially deploying far enough away ti be out of threat range and dropping in most of your killy units, with a hero for re-rolling that charge, going for the double turn can really help to neuter your opponent's big threats. 

So the charging witches, did the special GoS not help to only give them 1d6 on the charge or was he not in range? 

I think I've realised a really good ally unit for us spooks is actually a coven throne. It has the deathly invocations for 3 x d3 heals. It's fast. It has 12 wounds but isn't a monster so gets 'look out sir'. It's spell Begile makes it basically untouchable. And it's command ability gives any DEATH unit within 12" (not wholly within either) re-roll 1s to hit, to wound and to save, and it lasts until your next hero phase. The command ability basically makes blades, grims, myrmourns and harridans completely self sufficient buffed killy bombs. It also has 12 SHs attacks as well as it's other weapon profiles. 

Edited by Tropical Ghost General
  • Like 2

So now I've definitely got my eyes on the Start Collecting Malignants.

Edit: by the Black Pyramid, that thing is amazing! If Blood Knights weren't so hellishly expensive I might start thinking about a vampire coven to join my spookbois, but even so that is an excellent use of a kit that would otherwise go unused by me, and instantly renders that Start Collecting box worthwhile!

3 hours ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

So the charging witches, did the special GoS not help to only give them 1d6 on the charge or was he not in range? 

He wasn't in range- I have become more paranoid about my heroes' survival in correlation with my growing realisation about how important it is for them to be close by for their buffs to work. Yes, this is as dumb and irrational as it sounds. If the GoS is properly shielded, it feels like, an enemy unit has to be so close that even if they're in range of his ability, they've still got a 50/50 chance of making the charge anyway.

Edited by Kirjava13
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

I think I've realised a really good ally unit for us spooks is actually a coven throne. It has the deathly invocations for 3 x d3 heals. It's fast. It has 12 wounds but isn't a monster so gets 'look out sir'. It's spell Begile makes it basically untouchable. And it's command ability gives any DEATH unit within 12" (not wholly within either) re-roll 1s to hit, to wound and to save, and it lasts until your next hero phase. The command ability basically makes blades, grims, myrmourns and harridans completely self sufficient buffed killy bombs. It also has 12 SHs attacks as well as it's other weapon profiles. 

Just this morning I tried to put it on the list, I agree that it is our best ally, I thought to put it in the wake of the bladegheist.

@Kirjava13 True, I find it only paradoxical that the only useful thing for the nighthaunt of that starter is the ally, ??

• Like 1

It's a shame to say, but @adreal is right, SHs mske great scenery and basing materials ?

The only thing about the start collecting malignants, is that it's not start collecting Nighthaunt. I could always use more black Knights for my LoN army, but that whole army is sat gathering dust at the moment due to my love of spooks. 

I really don't like the sculpt of the mortis engine/coven throne/bloodseeker palanquin, it looks like a nightmare to transport. Anyone have any ideas for conversions? 

The space in between should be filled, I thought to put two Grimghast, or alternatively put chains that join the riders to the rest of the model. (The maximum would be a ghost that holds the chains to which the knights are bound.) For the pieces: The knights are old Knight Knights, of those in metal, I think they are of 4th edition or 5th. The back part is the carriage of Settra, is supported by an endless spell (Burning Head) to which I cut off the head and added small skulls to create the joint, the vampire is a sister of silence to which I put a head from the eschers (necromunda) , the chalice is the thorax of a stormcast liberator glued to the hand of a morghast, with the chest of the same Morghast acting as protection. The Banshees come from the remains of the Mortis Engine kit.

• LOVE IT! 1