AoS 2 - Flesh-eater Courts Discussion

RuneBrush

On 9/5/2018 at 12:27 AM, Bill_S said:

The trick with the army is it is very difficult despite it not looking too hard to use. You need zen like patience at times lol.  You deploy, play and time everything very different depending on the opponent.

Yep, that’s what he said...

I translated it wrong internally. Patience, deployment and tactical acumen is just not my strongest game, once the dice start to roll.

Thx for defending Mr.Souza, the communication was very friendly, can we get back to a  chill Saturday afternoon?

Triple monster list with GP is viable I think :

gkozd, gkotg, gkotg, ghast

20/10/10 ghouls

1900 points

leaves you with 100 points for 4 CP when starting, or spend a little more for palisades and shackles for 3 CP...

What did you guys think of the list that did pretty well at FaceHammer (23rd with 3 major wins)? It was on the other end of the spectrum, totally committed to clogging the board with ghouls. 

1 x Crypt Ghast Courtier (General: Dark Wizardry)

1x  Abhorrent Ghoul King (Flayed Pendant)

1x  Abhorrent Ghoul King

3x Crypt Ghast Courtier 

40x Crypt Ghouls

40x Crypt Ghouls 

40x Crypt Ghouls     

10x Crypt Ghouls 

4 extra Command points

At first glance the thought of putting that many ghouls on the table brings a smile to my face.  I would probably find a way to sneak the Ghoul Patrol in there as the pieces are there and it seems so in line with the idea behind this list. 

Edited by TheWilddog
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, TheWilddog said:

I would probably find a way to sneak the Ghoul Patrol in there

Reduce the ghouls to 30 and with the 300 points...

Varghulf (Dark wizardry) GkoZd, 2x ghast, 30/30/30/10 ghouls and Patrol... 1940 2 extra CP, maybe it could work.

thought about majestic horror for the gkozd to have a varghulf for every squat of ghouls...but that leaves you with only one caster...

thought about gkotg for extra cp, but not enough ghoul calling for a „do what you want we‘ll stay here list“

total footwork:

varghulf (dark wizardry), 2 gk, 3x ghast, 30/30/30/10 and patrol 1860, don’t see sooo much cp needed, maybe something for 140 (reapers if allowed, or wolves and bats)

5 minutes ago, warhammernerd said:

Since when can Mortis engine be triggered in op’s hero phase?

Crazy Friday maybe?!? 

Not happening...

would be funny to suicide charge into the lines, but sadly illegal XD

Edited by Honk

5 hours ago, Honk said:

best list will not help you, when your using it wrong

I acknowledge that, I tend to just come on these threads and spew out ideas and hope others can wrangle with them for how things play. 

Will probably just start with a SC box, flayers and ghouls and see how it plays out. 60 Ghouls and 9 Flayers seems best when you consider the possible limitations pure 3x6 deadwatch has. Appreciate the help! 

Edited by Gwendar

16 hours ago, Honk said:

It is (d6+1)-bravery, so useless against anything with bravery 7+ (Undead, demons, seraphon, stormcast, witch aelves)

Against armies with bravery 5, each flayer does 1MW on a 5, 2 on a roll of 6... (KO, Skaven,...) so highly depending on opponent and unit. The MW on a 6 is pretty good, but for what they do, the are totally overpriced (also in RL).

Eh what ? 3 Flayers makes only 3 MW ? But in the description stands : "Suffers a number of deadly wounds equal to the difference" so when i roll with 6 dice (6 Flayers) 5,4,3,4,5,2  against undead (-10 for bravery) then i make 13 MW,  Or did I misunderstand ? sure with only 3 Flayers is the Damage less but with more Flayers i think is the Damage very strong.

1 minute ago, Diablo said:

Eh what ? 3 Flayers makes only 3 MW ? But in the description stands : "Suffers a number of deadly wounds equal to the difference" so when i roll with 6 dice (6 Flayers) 5,4,3,4,5,2  against undead (-10 for bravery) then i make 13 MW,  Or did I misunderstand ? sure with only 3 Flayers is the Damage less but with more Flayers i think is the Damage very strong.

No, you're misunderstanding it. You roll 1 dice for each Flayer and add +1 to each, meaning the highest total you can achieve is 7, which against a Bravery of 6 would Inflict 1 MW. If all 6 Flayers rolled a 6 (7 with the +1) against a Bravery 6 target, they would in total inflict 6 MW's. 

What you're doing is adding all of those rolls together and thinking the total number is what you subtract the bravery from and that is incorrect. It would be far deadlier if it worked like that, as you pointed out. 

31 minutes ago, Diablo said:

so when i roll with 6 dice (6 Flayers) 

Every attack in AoS is resolved on its own, in theory. be it the scream, melee or ranged attack or whatever. Just to speed things up and keeping the flow you are allowed to roll in batches.

targets have to be declared beforehand though, can’t roll single till you kill a hero and then the rest into the unit ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Honk said:

Every attack in AoS is resolved on its own, in theory. be it the scream, melee or ranged attack or whatever. Just to speed things up and keeping the flow you are allowed to roll in batches.

targets have to be declared beforehand though, can’t roll single till you kill a hero and then the rest into the unit ?

okay, thx.

4 hours ago, Gwendar said:

No, you're misunderstanding it. You roll 1 dice for each Flayer and add +1 to each, meaning the highest total you can achieve is 7, which against a Bravery of 6 would Inflict 1 MW. If all 6 Flayers rolled a 6 (7 with the +1) against a Bravery 6 target, they would in total inflict 6 MW's. 

What you're doing is adding all of those rolls together and thinking the total number is what you subtract the bravery from and that is incorrect. It would be far deadlier if it worked like that, as you pointed out.  

damn, but this is stupid :( I was looking forward to this ability  and now not anymore , now i regret that i have built flayers

1 hour ago, Diablo said:

now i regret that i have built flayers

They still have their place, and can perform pretty good with black hunger against high save units... and against baseline, they might even killscream on 6, they just don’t one-shot a mawcrusher anymore

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Diablo said:

damn, but this is stupid :( I was looking forward to this ability  and now not anymore , now i regret that i have built flayers

Honk's right, I think they still have a great place and that's just looking at them on paper and I've decided to just go with 1x9 to accompany things in a more standardized list. They still average out decent MW from rolling 6's to hit (especially attacking twice w/ Deadwatch), so I don't think I would drop them just from the shooting attack disappointment.

2 hours ago, Diablo said:

killing heroes they should be pretty good 

And they are one of the few unit with „rend -1/-7“ for us. 

Save of 3+ rerolling 1s or 2+ rerolling 1s, Stardrake, other Stormcast Elite or even Ancient Tree Lords or stupid Kurnoth... Seraphon with all rerolls, your poor horrors don’t stand a change, while the buffing hero gets sniped.

don‘t get me wrong, 6 horrors within 10“ of a gkozd, reroll hit and  wound fails, that’s going to hurt. Horrors are kinda always a decent choice, while flayers are sometimes worse. 

Sadly I didn’t magnetize mine either and now I don’t want to rip the arms off and with the airbrush shading and all that... sad face panda ? 

Edited by Honk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Honk said:

don‘t get me wrong, 6 horrors within 10“ of a gkozd, reroll hit and  wound fails, that’s going to hurt. Horrors are kinda always a decent choice, while flayers are sometimes worse. 

I think this is the key point. Horror need a little bit more support while Flayers tend to do better if the unit has to be left isolated or alone. 

Plus from a hobby and aesthetic perspective I just prefer the Flayer kit. There is just something fun about painting wings. 

E815A248-311F-451C-8D0E-611B376CDC4A.jpeg

Edited by TheWilddog
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, TheWilddog said:

Flayers tend to do better if the unit has to be left isolated or alone.  

Wise words!!!

That’s called suicide charge or nicely put high risk harassing maneuvers... 

Horrors march with the main force, I still really started to like them. Against weak armored foes...people in my local group still have that “FEC whatever” feeling, because I’m the only undead4life player and really started with basic groundwork tactically speaking. 

That let to some interesting games, where I screamed „gravestone to the face“ more often than anticipated XD

different roles, different usage...

• Like 1

Hello fellow kings, I finally decided to build my FEC army and I'm going all in with it - will go for 2000 tournament this weekend (one day, 3 games) here is my list

Allegiance: Flesh Eater Courts
- Delusion: Crusading Army
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Zombie Dragon (440)
- General
- Trait: Magestic Horror 
- Artefact: Doppelganger Cloak 
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Terrorgheist (400)
- Artefact: The Flayed Pennant 
Crypt Ghast Courtier (80)
Crypt Ghast Courtier (80)

Battleline
20 x Crypt Ghouls (200)
20 x Crypt Ghouls (200)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)

Units
6 x Crypt Horrors (320)

Battalions
Ghoul Patrol (180)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 114

I'm open to suggestions on artefacts and need some advice on what to build for GKoT summoning (Flayers might be better than horrors I guess?)
For GKoZD I have 2 Varghulfs so no problem here. I also would like some advise on playing this list (and FEC in general) correctly, I can also drop here what missions will be on tournament.

P.S. I'll also get 70 more ghouls from my friend for patrol summoning, might include some more in list itself

Edited by XReN
  • Like 1

List looks good...

horrors or flayers is, as stated above, a big and almost irrelevant question without knowing the scenario or opponent or unit placement and all that stuff...

for a rough strategy: ghoul patrol aiming for objectives, gkozd summons, one varghulf for the ghouls another for the horrors. Horrors and Kings take aim for something juicy and start opening a can...

• Thanks 1

Ghoul Patrol needs to keep the ghouls alive. You will need the CP for battleshock immunity. Summoning is always tricky, I think generally flayers could do better, because they are faster and don’t depend on the Kings. But you have two of them, so I would lean towards the horrors.

TG or ZD?

it’s difficult. I think the latter is more consistent in dealing damage. It also summons super useful courtiers.

However it depends on what you are running in your list. 

• Like 1