AoS 2 - Flesh-eater Courts Discussion

RuneBrush

9 minutes ago, Fluttershy said:

the varghulf supports Ghouls, Horrors & Flayers, has 8 HP, gains re-rolls hit for nerby casting, has a decent dmg output and heals if he slew a model

i like them more than the other courtiers ;)

and he can fly

Too bad is only available on flailcast, not that big and expensive (compared to the rest of the army). (and honestly, really ugly compared to the other units)

20 minutes ago, Bodric said:

I'm pretty new to FEC so may be missing something obvious, but... I can't see any good reason to take a Varghulf in any list. Does anyone ever use them? What can they do that the other courtiers can't do better?

Varghulfs are amazing, I took a 3 tours local tournament with a list running 2 varghulfs, not summoned, they are really good

3 minutes ago, XReN said:

Varghulfs are amazing, I took a 3 tours local tournament with a list running 2 varghulfs, not summoned, they are really good

Mind if I ask what the rest of that list was built around? I kind of want an excuse to play around with the model and see if I can make something interesting out of it.

6 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

Too bad is only available on flailcast, not that big and expensive (compared to the rest of the army). (and honestly, really ugly compared to the other units)

This is their biggest downfall. I bought an eidolon of mathlann to convert to be my varghulf. Maybe hes a little big, but its gonna be sweet.

14 minutes ago, Bodric said:

Mind if I ask what the rest of that list was built around? I kind of want an excuse to play around with the model and see if I can make something interesting out of it.

So it was before the new book dropped and honestly I took 2 varghulfs just because I couldn't come up with something better, if I had 3 more horrors I would have took 3 more horrors and only one varghulf

The list was for 1750 tournament,
Delusion: Crusading army used to allow full rerolls of run and charge rolls 
GKoTG with Majestic horror to allow double summon
GK on foor for attack buff 
2 varghulfs
Ghast courtier with Flayed Pennant which used to be +3 to charge rolls 1 use

6 horrors
3x10 ghouls
Ghoul Patrol

So the idea was that I needed varghulfs to res my horrors really fast, and res ghouls if there left something to res which did because ghoul patrol was better
At the same time a ghast courtier's been arriving via outflank from ghoul patrol and I've summoned 2x3 horrors with him, he gave them +3 for charge roll and they smashed into opponent's flank (also during 3rd game I used the pennant on my general as well) 

Horrors and GKoTG worked as main force and ghoul patrol provided enough bodies to hold objectives, that it

Now such combo became much less apealing, because Majestic Horror got changed, Patrol got nerfed, Crusading Army changed and outshined by Feast Day and Flayed Pennant changed as well
But you still can pull it off, you just need GKs on TG and or archregents in whatever numbers you want, as well as Crusading Army delusion and Chronomantic Cogs and that will give you same +3 to charge
And you'd want either a varghulf or Patrol Ghast to give them Flayed Pennant, because it's more efficient than CP rerolling.

But I'd really wouldn't suggest doing this strategy, I used it (and I loved it) because it was nice addition to what I'll run anyway

And I'm sorry that this list is not essentially about varghulfs as someone might have expected, but they are great, go with Varghulf over any other courtier if you can.

1 hour ago, Bodric said:

That sounds AMAZING. What are you planning on doing to it?

It's still in the conceptual stages, but I'm going to trim off all of the boat and rock parts where the Cape connects to the base and instead have him rising out of a pile of body parts and blood. I'll keep the eidolon spear because it's cool, but switch out the other arm and possibly the head with ghoul king bits. The idea is that he is a water elemental corrupted by the delusions and now exclusively apparates in the blood of the bodies gathered by the flesh eater courts. Should look cool on my display board and with the chalice endless spell.

• Like 2

found something funny on fb:

GRISTLEGORE GRAND COURT

COMMAND TRAIT

A GRISTLEGORE general must have this command trait instead of one listed on page 56.

Savage Strike: A Gristlegore abhorrant can overwhelm a foe before they get a chance to fight back.

This general fights at the start of the combat phase, before the players pick any other units to fight in that combat phase. This general cannot fight again in that combat phase unless an ability or spell allows it to fight more than once.

so my general ghoul king on terrorgheist is attacking first without the attacks of the terrorgheist, because of

COMMAND TRAITS

Whether cunning strategist or berserk butcher, every general has a unique style of command. If your general is a Hero and the allegiance abilities for your army include any command traits, you can choose or roll for one for your general. If, for any reason, you must select a new general during a battle, immediately choose or roll for a trait for them. Command traits have no effect on attacks made by a general’s mount unless noted otherwise.

Edited by Fluttershy

29 minutes ago, Fluttershy said:

is it possible to cast the same endless spell every turn?

If you unbind it first in your hero phase

iirc each spell can be only once on the board per player.

so you cast the purple sun. Next turn you want to cast it again but before that you have to unbind it (which costs you one Spell to do). After successfully unbending it you can try to cast it again if you have another wizard or your wizard can cast more than one spell

Edited by JackStreicher

the only restriction i have found:

Malign Sorcery Page 53

Endless Spell Models

In order to attempt to cast an endless
spell, you must have a model for the
spell available that is not already on
the battlefield. For example, if you
have two Balewind Vortex models
in your collection, and both are on
the battlefield, you cannot attempt
to cast Summon Balewind Vortex
again until at least one of them has
been removed from the battlefield.
A Wizard cannot attempt to cast
more than one endless spell in the
same turn (even if they are different
endless spells).

found it..

Generals Handbook, Page 48

Picking your Army

"[..] Endless spells have Pitched Battle
profiles and a points cost. Bypaying
the spell’spoints cost, all WIZARDS
in the player’sarmy know that
endless spell, and the player can
use (and re-use) one endless spell
model of the appropriate type in
the battle. A player cannot take the
same endless spell model more than
once for their army, but can take any
number of different endless spell
models (for example, you could not
take two BalewindVortex models). [..]"

• Like 1

Recently posted this in the "New FEC Tome List Thread" but thought it would get some more exposure here - apologies for those of you following both threads! Im not too keen on painting any more wings, and overall prefer the aestetic of Horrors over Flayers, so i came up with this list.

Allegiance: Flesh Eater Courts

-Delusion: the Feast Day

Leaders:

Crypt Haunter Courtier        120
-General
-Dark Acolyte
-Spectral Host

Abhorrant Ghoul King on RZD    440
-Splintervane Brooch
-Razor-clawed
-Monstrous Vigour

Abhorrant Archregent        200
-The Dermal Robe
-Deranged Transformation

Battleline:

Crypt Horrors x6        320
Crypt Horrors x6        320
Crypt Ghouls x40        360

Endless Spells:

Chalice of Ushoran        40
Cadaverous Barricade        30

Battalion:

Abbatoir            120

Other:

Charnel Throne            0
1CP                50

Total: 2000

Summoning a Varghulf and probably 20 ghouls. The archregent gives Horrors +d3 attacks and 11" move, with a little luck both units plus the courtier general. Courtier gives the AGKoZD run+charge, and the AGKoZD casts his signature spell, making sure the horrors reroll all failed hit and wound rolls while in range of him. The brooch on AGKoZD along with Dermal Robe on Archregent will give the enemy wizards a hard time with -1 to their cast and +1 to my unbind. It could be replaced for Flayed Pennant on the courtier general though.

Feast day will give me 2 free CP per battle round (1 each player turn) in the form of Feeding Frenzy.

Abbatoir will pump out mortal wounds against hordes and combo well with chalice.

Alternatively, with so many strong spell options for so few casters, I thought about going:

-Cadaverous Barricade        -30
-1CP                -50
+Corpse Cart (ally)        80

To further improve the chance of getting our oh-so-sweet spells off.

What do you guys think?

Regarding FAQ:

"Page 61 – Ruler of All He Surveys Change the second sentence to: ‘In addition, an Abhorrant Ghoul King that is within 1" of this terrain feature can use the Summon Men-at-arms command ability without a command point being spent.’ (i.e. Remove the keyword formatting from ‘Abhorrant Ghoul King’ in the rule; the rule should only affect models from the Abhorrant Ghoul King warscroll.)"

This feels kind of unnecessary seeing as it already specifies the command ability "Summon Men-at-arms", which only the AGK on foot has. But i guess it doesnt hurt to have it there for extra clarity.