AoS 2 - Bonesplitterz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

@mcbrain Fair enough...I mean you are very close to fitting in another 4, but there is nowhere obvious in your list to squeeze out 20 points.

I've never taken them as allies myself, so I'm theoryhammering like you, but they don't seem like the worst option in the world.

Maybe a little pricey compared to the elite combat options other armies have (cost more than Enlightened, virtually the same as Evocators).  But that's Destruction Life.  Pay more, get less!

Edited by PlasticCraic

7 minutes ago, mcbrain said:

All the dudes in my group chats figure brutes are pretty bad as allies. I’m clearly overlooking something as it looks to me that they have higher potential damage than the same amount of big stabbas I can buy for 180 points (2). 

Honestly, buy big stabba. They will synergize better with your army. You can buff them with spell, the 3'' reach is really good, and they will do more damage in the end (4 big stabba is 8 damage unbuffed, but at rend 2. 5 brutes is 10-13 if you get reroll). But 4 big stabbas will dish out 4d3 mortal. And if you get to a monster, yum yum. 

2 hours ago, broche said:

Honestly, buy big stabba. They will synergize better with your army. You can buff them with spell, the 3'' reach is really good, and they will do more damage in the end (4 big stabba is 8 damage unbuffed, but at rend 2. 5 brutes is 10-13 if you get reroll). But 4 big stabbas will dish out 4d3 mortal. And if you get to a monster, yum yum. 

I understand the synergy I get with the big stabbas.  But like @PlasticCraic mentioned, I don't have anywhere to squeeze 20 more points from.  I don't like the idea of not taking two bricks of 30 morboys.  I'll give the brutes a try.  Yes, they're slow.  Yes, they've got low bravery.  But they aren't there to swoop in and tank my opponent's army.  They're there to be that second wave of smash face, which should be fairly easy considering they'll be down the target priority list behind my heroes and probably the morboys.

Well in that case personnaly i would not play the Warclan. It's a lot of point to get blood waagh and an artefact. But if you want to stick with bataillion, i would try a Giant over brutes (better move, and give +1 to hit to morboys when he die). I think I might even try troll before

Don't get me wrong, i love brutes, but i did not find they synergize well in BS. i've tried them 3-4 times, and was always disapointed. Without buff they don't do much. But you have the Warboss with flag, so maybe they're not as bad as I remember. 

• Like 1

On 11/3/2018 at 12:55 PM, Thostos said:

Wurgog Prophet-General,,Brutal Beast Spirits/Squigly warpaint

Savage Big Boss-Gryph Feather Charm

Wardokk-Big Wurrgog Mastk/Hand of Gork

Maniak Weirdnob,Rockjaws/Kunning Beast Spirits

Arrowboys x30

Savage Orruks x10 SnB

Savage Orruks x10 Spear and Board

Savage Orruks x10 Spear and Board

Savage Big Stabbas x2

Savage Big Stabbas x2

Savage Big Stabbasx2

Savage Big Stabbasx2

Bonegrinz Warclan

Kunning Rukk

*snip*

Has this still been treating you well? I've considered going a similar route but I almost wonder if its worth to just drop the Bonegrinz and some other things for 2x10 Boarboy Maniaks for a more balanced spread of CC and ranged ability? Something more like this:

Wurrgog Prophet (140)
- General
Savage Big Boss (120)
- Stonecleava
Wardokk (100)
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
30 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (420)
10 x Savage Orruks (120)
10 x Savage Boarboy Maniaks (280)
2 x Savage Big Stabbas (100)
Kunnin' Rukk (200)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)

Total: 2000 / 2000

Granted, I really do love the idea of everything coming back once slain and being reckless with the Stabbas, but my luck with rolling 6's is sub-par at best and it really seems to rely on that.

Playing a tournament tomorrow, i would play this, taking the big wurgog mask on a Weirnob, and probably either the mystic war paint or +1 save or wurgog (but probably warpaint). 

Current meta have very low shooting, so it's much easier to screen your support character (and helped with look out sir). Also with stacking of Command, you can just burn 3 CP in T2 to double arrowboys efficiency (each 5-6 generate 3 extra attack). A single volley do 50+ damage, and you can do it twice. 

In t1 with the Ruk and Fungoid, you can cover an average of 17'' with both run, and still charge 9''. Agains low damage output army like Death you can pin them will you grap objective/shoot them to dead. (Just need to stay further than 30'' from Nagash). 

Tricky matchup is Idoneth with their ability they can protect their important units

Allegiance: Bonesplitterz
Savage Big Boss (120)
- Granite Choppas
Wurrgog Prophet (140)
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (80)
- General
- Allies
30 x Savage Orruks (300)
5 x Savage Boarboyz (100)
6 x Savage Big Stabbas (300)
Kunnin' Rukk (200)

Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 80 / 400
Wounds: 202

• Like 3

6 hours ago, broche said:

Agains low damage output army like Death you can pin them will you grap objective/shoot them to dead. (Just need to stay further than 30'' from Nagash). 

I really like this army!

Is it possible to pin Death and still be 30" away from Nagash?  I would have thought you'd be right up close to him if you're pinning him back?

That being said - he can't really hide from a Kunnin Rukk.  Against a Nagash army I would expect you to be able to shoot him off Turn 1?

It's a really good list.

30 minutes ago, mcbrain said:

Does the fungoid go against ally points?  I've always been confused about how he actually works in a list that isn't Moonclan or GA.

Yes it does. Only exception is that he can be ally and still be your general. I figured out that since most of BS command trait are really not that good, I prefer to have the option to run/retreat and charge with Orruk and the Big Stabbas is potentially very good. Also with realm spell it give you a wizard that can cast 2 others (non-BS) spells in same turn.  For 80 pts he is a bargain.

41 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

Is it possible to pin Death and still be 30" away from Nagash?  I would have thought you'd be right up close to him if you're pinning him back?

That being said - he can't really hide from a Kunnin Rukk.  Against a Nagash army I would expect you to be able to shoot him off Turn 1?

in fact you just want to keep your wizard with hand of gork and the one with the +1 to hit, and maybe the reroll 1 out of dispel range. Arrowboys have a 23 - 33'' threath range (depending on what you do with your ruk / hand of gork). So you just need to keep your wizard in the back, close enough so they can buff the Arrowboys but stay out of dispel range. If he move in dispel range then he will be in range of  the Big stabbas, wich is worse for him. he stay too far from the action, you can just ignore him. You don't care too much for mortal wound anyway. 

There is two problems that can arise with Nagash (or other big monster from Death) is realm spells. Ghyran have the annoying flesh to stone, and Hysh and Shish have a -1 to hit. He can also use the spell portal to reroll save, so Shysh can become double problem if he get ignore rend as well. In that case you're probably just better off killing his unit and occupy the gravesite using your mobility advantage.

Also, second item would definitly be the Aetherquartz broach :)

Edited by broche
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Gwendar said:

Has this still been treating you well? I've considered going a similar route but I almost wonder if its worth to just drop the Bonegrinz and some other things for 2x10 Boarboy Maniaks for a more balanced spread of CC and ranged ability? Something more like this:

Wurrgog Prophet (140)
- General
Savage Big Boss (120)
- Stonecleava
Wardokk (100)
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
10 x Savage Orruks (120)
Kunnin' Rukk (200)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)

Granted, I really do love the idea of everything coming back once slain and being reckless with the Stabbas, but my luck with rolling 6's is sub-par at best and it really seems to rely on that.

Yes the 6+ regro of units can be a concern,,though I have 8 units and depending on the rate they die,,its fair to say that at least one unit will come back per game.Now lately ive been very lucky with one game bringing back 3 out of 4 units.The thing is with this,,bringing a stabba unit back into the opponents backfield causes huge issues with camping heros or light objective defenders,,it has won games for me just having one unit brought back.

I do like the boar maniaks and have 4x5 painted and ready,,though the Big Stabbas seem to consistantly suprise opponents with their high rend/high damage output and the d3 morts on death.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Thostos said:

I do like the boar maniaks and have 4x5 painted and ready,,though the Big Stabbas seem to consistantly suprise opponents with their high rend/high damage output and the d3 morts on death.

My favourite thing is the extra D3 damage on Monsters.  It's absolutely devastating.  I one-shotted Archaon with a unit 4 the other day :D

Also, I put up a poll on Twitter for which army I should take to a one-day event in January...the winner was a ridiculous army with 12 Big Stabbas and a Teef Rukk.  Done.

What do you guys think, should I run it as is, or squeeze in a Warboss?

Leaders
Savage Big Boss (120)
- General
- Stonecleava
- Trait: Squirmy Warpaint 
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
- Artefact: Mystic Waaagh! Paint 
- Lore of the Savage Waaagh: Brutal Beast Spirits
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
- Lore of the Savage Waaagh: Hand of Gork or Mork
Wardokk (100)
- Artefact: Big Wurrgog Mask 
- Lore of the Savage Waaagh: Bone Krusha

Battleline

Units

Battalions
Teef Rukk (100)

Endless Spells
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)

Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 176
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Thostos said:

Yes the 6+ regro of units can be a concern,,though I have 8 units and depending on the rate they die,,its fair to say that at least one unit will come back per game.Now lately ive been very lucky with one game bringing back 3 out of 4 units.The thing is with this,,bringing a stabba unit back into the opponents backfield causes huge issues with camping heros or light objective defenders,,it has won games for me just having one unit brought back.

I've played with and against enough FeC to appreciate returning models and summoning in new ones into their backlines. I may just be underestimating the Stabbas, but I will definitely give it a go! Thanks.

• Like 1

Any thoughts on Bonegrinz chaps? Might be a bit much for a 2k but any feedback on what I have so far or how to finish this list would be immense. Cheers.

Savage Big Boss (120)
- Granite Choppas
Wurrgog Prophet (140)
Wardokk (100)
10 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (140)
Kunnin' Rukk (200)
Bonegrinz Warclan (110)

Total: 1790 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 6
Wounds: 177

• Like 1

@5kaven5lave I've actually been looking at very, very similar lists.  In fact I used one last night, where it was absolutely devastating against a 2-drop Sylvaneth list.

My main suggestion would be to switch the wizards for 2x Maniak Weirdnobs.  The rerolls on the casts are priceless, especially since you can roll on the backline out of unbind range.  I failed my first Hand of Gork, then rerolled it to a success (on a double, no less!) and that reroll literally won me the game.  You are sacrificing 1 cast but in terms of executing what you are trying to do, I think the rerolls are essential.

My list was the same as yours (with the wizard switch).  Spells are obvious.  I took the anti-shooting artefact on the Savage Big Boss (thanks to @svnvaldez for that one) and the 36" +1 to unbind artefact too.  I'm open to suggestions on the third artefact, but took the Wurggog Mask.  4+ Mortal Wound save Command Trait.

For the last 200 points, I used 4x Big Stabbas for some punch (and because I love them).  I'm not sure they're optimum though.  You might be better off taking a 3rd wizard and banking a CP or 2?  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Any thoughts on Bonegrinz chaps? Might be a bit much for a 2k but any feedback on what I have so far or how to finish this list would be immense. Cheers.

Savage Big Boss (120)
- Granite Choppas
Wurrgog Prophet (140)
Wardokk (100)
Kunnin' Rukk (200)
Bonegrinz Warclan (110)

Total: 1790 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 6
Wounds: 177

I'd drop the wurrgog for a maniak weirdnob and then add a unit of 4 big stabbas.  The synergy from the maniak's spell with the rukk is worth dropping the prophet for in my opinion.  Also, you can bring the stabbas back if they die on a 6+.

• Like 1

What I like about the army is:

- The initial fusilade with the stacked SBB CAs is utterly devastating to most armies.  The fact it stacks is truly wonderful

- You are 1 drop

- This is key because it lets you go first against unkillable stuff before they get the buffs off

- And on the Hero missions, it lets you get on the objectives first and use the CPs to either nuke their Heroes, or Run 6" multiple times and jam up the board

- You get 5 rolls at a free unit, 3 of them on good units

- Across a 5-game event, you will probably have 1 game where you get nothing back, 1 where you get multiple units back, and a few where you get 1 unit back

- The army is more than capable of competing in most matchups without the free summoning, but in the games where you do get it, it will be devastating

I've got a couple more games lined up this weekend with a couple of competitive players practicing their CanCon lists, I'll let you know how it goes!  

Can people let me know your thoughts on the third artefact please?  Wurggog Mask or something else?

• Like 1

On 11/18/2018 at 4:17 PM, PlasticCraic said:

My main suggestion would be to switch the wizards for 2x Maniak Weirdnobs.  The rerolls on the casts are priceless, especially since you can roll on the backline out of unbind range.  I failed my first Hand of Gork, then rerolled it to a success (on a double, no less!) and that reroll literally won me the game.  You are sacrificing 1 cast but in terms of executing what you are trying to do, I think the rerolls are essential.

My list was the same as yours (with the wizard switch).  Spells are obvious.  I took the anti-shooting artefact on the Savage Big Boss (thanks to @svnvaldez for that one) and the 36" +1 to unbind artefact too.  I'm open to suggestions on the third artefact, but took the Wurggog Mask.  4+ Mortal Wound save Command Trait.

On 11/18/2018 at 10:59 AM, 5kaven5lave said:

I haven't been playing a ton and when I have I have been messing around with all kinds of destro not just BS. This is what I have been playing around with thou, seems solid to me... 

Mortal Realm: Death

Leaders
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
- Lore of the Savage Waaagh: Brutal Beast Spirits
Savage Big Boss (120)
- General
- Granite Choppas
- Trait: Squirmy Warpaint 
- Artefact: Ragged Cloak 
Wardokk (100)
- Artefact: Big Wurrgog Mask 
- Lore of the Savage Waaagh: Squiggly Curse
Wardokk (100)
- Artefact: Mystic Waaagh! Paint 

Battleline

Battalions
Bonegrinz Warclan (110)
Kunnin' Rukk (200)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 188

Edited by svnvaldez
  • Like 1

@svnvaldez you're severely gimping your weirdnob by giving him brutal beast spirits, which blocks him from casting his spell to reroll hits.

I see you've got double spells, but I'm still not comfortable putting a really important lore spell on a character that has a really important spell on his scroll.  See what I mean?

Edited by mcbrain
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, mcbrain said:

@svnvaldez you're severely gimping your weirdnob by giving him brutal beast spirits, which blocks him from casting his spell to reroll hits.

If my opponent has dispellers with high pluses (such as death) I would typically have both the Weirdnobs out of 30 inches (back board edged) and cast +1 to hit and either hand to move them up into shooting range or the reroll to hits... you can assume the Wardokks will be dispelled as they will be up front the way I play.

If I can get all the spells off I would have the Hand come from the doubled up Wardokk, +1 and rerolls from the Weirdnobs. 

I typically assume I will only be getting the Weirdnobs spells off. 

Edited by svnvaldez
  • Like 1

@mcbrain I'm with Sam on this one, Brutal Beast Spirits and Hand of Gork are the must-haves.  Rerolling 1s is a nice to have.  

I think you need those two spells on the guys with the rerolls to cast (perched out of unbind range).  Stacking CPs will do plenty of damage without the rerolls anwyay.

I do like the Shotgun Shammy though (Bone Krusha and Wurggog Mask combo).  I've used him a fair bit and I think if you use the last 200 points for Wardokks, that's the loadout.  

I like the redundancy on Hand of Gork too.  The other contender would be Kunnin Beast Spirits, for when you buff up the first unit and throw it to the dogs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, svnvaldez said:

If I can get all the spells off I would have the Hand come from the doubled up Wardokks, +1 and rerolls from the Weirdnobs. 

I typically assume I will only be getting the Weirdnobs spells off. 

Yeah that's a really good point, the Hand on the Wardokk is more than just redundancy.  If you get the +1s to cast, you can risk casting it with them, and liberate the Maniak to cast his Warscroll spell.

Kunnin' :D

• Like 1