AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

While reading Fury of Gork to my 7 month old, proper multitasking going on here ;) , I just had this hope pop up in my head... If this is going to be a dual box launch with a special character each... Please let it be a Megaboss on Gore-grunta like Stabbajack is in the story! Maybe making Gore-Grunta's and Boars battleline in a  combined list, a nice booster command ability specifically to mounted troops.
They could even make it an easy to build kit like the Lord-arcanum on dracoline is, since they're fond of that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

While reading Fury of Gork to my 7 month old, proper multitasking going on here ;) , I just had this hope pop up in my head... If this is going to be a dual box launch with a special character each... Please let it be a Megaboss on Gore-grunta like Stabbajack is in the story! Maybe making Gore-Grunta's and Boars battleline in a  combined list, a nice booster command ability specifically to mounted troops.
They could even make it an easy to build kit like the Lord-arcanum on dracoline is, since they're fond of that. 

Yeah I'm hoping The Big G gets both bonesplitterz and ironjawz keywords and that the new hero is a lesser version of him. Has both faction keywords and can be used in any of the armies!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, tom_gore said:

What's the current consensus on Ironjawz (post GHB2019) and Meeting Engagements? 1000 pts still too small for us? Any list ideas/suggestions?

I did not check too much meeting engagement yet but the format look fun.

I think bataillion are too expensive for 1000 pts, so list will fall into 2 category: List with Mawkrusha and list with lots of body and no Krusha. I'll start tweaking some list 

1 hour ago, tom_gore said:

Battalions are for sure too expensive. And I'd reckon the MK might be too, especially as you can't bring all your army together in the table.

I think this could work:

Allegiance: Ironjawz

Spearhead
Orruk Warchanter (80)
6 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (280)
- Pig-iron Choppas

Main Body
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (420)
- Boss Gore-hacka and Scrap-tooth
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)

Rearguard
4 x Ironskull's Boyz (80)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 78

Strategy is tu use Gruntas with mighty destroyer early to aggress opposing spearhead with the 6 Gruntas. I would probably use an agressive set up on the MK as well (hulking muscle bound brutes and maybe even an offensive item). The idea is really to put constant pressure with your high mobility (thanks to mighty destroyer). And use the Ardboys/Warchanter/Boyz to hold objective. I would like to add a command point, but not sure what i would cut.

7 minutes ago, broche said:

Strategy is tu use Gruntas with mighty destroyer early to aggress opposing spearhead with the 6 Gruntas. I would probably use an agressive set up on the MK as well (hulking muscle bound brutes and maybe even an offensive item). The idea is really to put constant pressure with your high mobility (thanks to mighty destroyer). And use the Ardboys/Warchanter/Boyz to hold objective. I would like to add a command point, but not sure what i would cut.

The big question is what do you do against stuff like this

Allegiance: Flesh Eater Courts
- Grand Court: Blisterskin

Spearhead
Abhorrant Archregent (240)

Main Body
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Terrorgheist (420)
3 x Crypt Flayers (170)

Rearguard
3 x Crypt Flayers (170)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Wounds: 45

It's just going to MW you into the floor, all their stuff is faster and tankier.

Edited by Malakree

4 hours ago, Malakree said:

The big question is what do you do against stuff like this

I would likely loose because my army was illegal, it seem you can't play double size units in Spearhead. 

It seem turn 1 is really random as most army get 1-2 drop so strategy to take first turn are not really reliable. In fact the biggest problem I see with the list above is more he get 2 free summon (Basically 30% more point in 1000 pts game). 

On the other hand it's not totally  true that his stuff is faster. MK can move 24. 2 scenario start with main body on the table, meaning you have reasonnable odds of Killing Ghoul king if you go first.

It seem that ME might be a bit random. For Ironjawz, you can't really rely on Waaagh bomb. Magic is dubious as well, as it hard to garanty casting bonus the the weirnob. It look like best asset really is mighty destroyer free move (and maybe free attack in HP)

Edited by broche

So after rereading ME rules/battleplan and thinking out a bit, I think If I were to play a version with Maw Krusha I would choose Gordrack. The fact he hit a lot harder than regular Krusha and have a worthy command ability justify his cost. 

All the battleplans have the "most wounds in a round" objective, which means you want to either have high damage output or very resilient wounds in your army, preferably both. I might have more luck with my Stormcast in ME indeed, as they can be made pretty tanky - well against everything else than Mortal Wounds anyway.

Still, having more bodies means you can reliably gain 3 points per round in The Centre Ground, The Borderline and Rearguard Action, plus have a decent chance of controlling the primary objective for 3 points on Changing Priorities.

Given that you can't really rely on Waaagh making your army very killy, I'd say with Ironjawz it's better to play the objective game and forget about winning the wounds output. This will mean winning The Raid or Death Pass will be really hairy, but in all other scenarios you should have a decent chance against both horde and tanky armies.

That said, I might try something like this:

Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Spearhead
Orruk Warchanter (80)
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
- Pig-iron Choppas

Main Body
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
- Trait: Ironclad 
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales 
20 x Orruk Ardboys (280)

Rearguard
10 x Orruk Brutes (340)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- 2x Gore Choppas

Total: 980 / 1000
Wounds: 98

This list actually might have a shot at a decent Waaagh on turn 3, provided the Megaboss can survive turn 2 (and turn 3 if going second).

@tom_gore isn't this setup a bit slow? I think I would drop the Megaboss all together and take Weirnob + hand of gork. You free 20 pts (960). You could then drop 5 brutes for 3 Pig/ardboys (faster, 30 pts cheaper) and start with an extra CP or maybe take and endless spell (geminid)

Yeah I get what you mean. Especially those Brutes in the rearguard will have trouble getting into a fight, although in most scenarios there might be good charge targets for them in the midfield. I'm assuming most players are playing on the minimum size field (30x40") since anything bigger than that means there will be a lot of footslogging and very little combat in the whole game (I bet those fielding lightning fast or shooty armies will disagree, GW should have just given a set board size without any arguing room).

• Haha 1

Just done a 1 day tournament locally. Some solid players with strong lists but still friendly...except for that ****** who brought this list.

Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Gordrakk the Fist of Gork (560)
- General
- Choppa and Rip-tooth fist
- Trait: Hulking Muscle-bound Brute 
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch 

Battleline
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas

Battalions
Ironfist (160)
Bloodtoofs (80)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 109

Honestly it played exactly like you'd expect. Take priority, voice of Gork, you've won or lost by the end of your turn 1.

In a perfect world I'd drop 5 brutes for 3 more GG's and buy the extra cp. Might even swap the 10 ardboys for 3 more ggs. With ardboys/brutes you need a good ironfist and a strong charge roll. Adding a mighty destroyers helps but it only aliveates it a bit and you can't really do it for the whole army. GG's on the other hand have way more tolerance on the ironfist/charge due to their higher move. With 4 units of them there's even a solid chance to get extra Waaagh! off turn 1 where as atm most of it goes on mighty destroyers for the catapult.

Since I don't have the 6 extra GG's I'm going to drop the brutes to ardboys instead. Again the +2 to charge adds tolerance and the +attacks helps smooth the loss. They're also way better for taking objectives which is obv hard with the list.

Overall. Gordrakk over performed, 2 units of brutes is just to slow, hulking musclebound brute wasn't massive but again it added more reliability to the impact hits. I can't see myself swapping it for anything other than the 5+ charge in opponents charge phase.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, broche said:

@Malakree How did it went?

Ended 4th of 18. Went 2-1, pulled fyreslayers in round 3 and lost to them, I made several mistakes in what is already a pretty bad matchup. There were 4 players who were 2-0 after the 2nd round with the others being Slannesh and Gristlegore who I'm pretty sure I have at least a 50/50 matchup against.

That extra CP and a 3rd unit of GG's over the 2nd brutes would both have made a big difference.

29 minutes ago, broche said:

Yeah Fyreslayers seem pretty bad right now, especially if you try to alpha strike them they can handle it pretty well and have the counterpuch power to annhilate you back.

It's getting the charges and damage to get through the chaff and onto the key bits. If you can knock out important heroes with the alpha strike and cripple some key units before they get buffed to sin then you'll win. It's just way harder to get through the chaff and the important stuff has a 4++ save...

On 8/3/2019 at 11:02 PM, Malakree said:

Just done a 1 day tournament locally. Some solid players with strong lists but still friendly...except for that ****** who brought this list.

Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Gordrakk the Fist of Gork (560)
- General
- Choppa and Rip-tooth fist
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch 

Battleline
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas

Battalions
Ironfist (160)
Bloodtoofs (80)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 109

Honestly it played exactly like you'd expect. Take priority, voice of Gork, you've won or lost by the end of your turn 1.

In a perfect world I'd drop 5 brutes for 3 more GG's and buy the extra cp. Might even swap the 10 ardboys for 3 more ggs. With ardboys/brutes you need a good ironfist and a strong charge roll. Adding a mighty destroyers helps but it only aliveates it a bit and you can't really do it for the whole army. GG's on the other hand have way more tolerance on the ironfist/charge due to their higher move. With 4 units of them there's even a solid chance to get extra Waaagh! off turn 1 where as atm most of it goes on mighty destroyers for the catapult.

Since I don't have the 6 extra GG's I'm going to drop the brutes to ardboys instead. Again the +2 to charge adds tolerance and the +attacks helps smooth the loss. They're also way better for taking objectives which is obv hard with the list.

Overall. Gordrakk over performed, 2 units of brutes is just to slow, hulking musclebound brute wasn't massive but again it added more reliability to the impact hits. I can't see myself swapping it for anything other than the 5+ charge in opponents charge phase.

Looks pretty cool, but no Warchanters? It might be ok, but you are losing out on 2 artefacts which feels like such a waste to me. :P

5 minutes ago, Kasper said:

Looks pretty cool, but no Warchanters? It might be ok, but you are losing out on 2 artefacts which feels like such a waste to me. :P

It is but honestly the only way to fix that is to drop The Big G. The other Artefact options aren't that important as the broach, I wish I could fit Metal rippers on the Cabbages Choppa but eh.

2 hours ago, Malakree said:

It is but honestly the only way to fix that is to drop The Big G. The other Artefact options aren't that important as the broach, I wish I could fit Metal rippers on the Cabbages Choppa but eh.

Yeah the restriction of 5 units kinda sucks. I just love Gordrakk too! I hope they juice him up a bit, or alternatively cut him a bit on points. Almost 600 is still insanity when you compare him to Greater Demons like Keeper of Secrets etc.

Edited by Kasper

On 7/31/2019 at 1:00 PM, tom_gore said:

What's the current consensus on Ironjawz (post GHB2019) and Meeting Engagements? 1000 pts still too small for us? Any list ideas/suggestions?

You could cheese it, bring a shaman and a bunch of boys, a warchanter to buff them and act as a cheap general and maybe even a battalion in order to guarantee first turn(and if you take ardfist it allows you to break the 2 unit limit per warscroll). Then use hand of gork on your boys and block your enemies reinforcements from arriving. Do this again if you get the second turn and you’ve guaranteed yourself a victory. Your opponent might not be to happy about it though. 

Something like this:

Spearhead:

wierdnob shaman - hand of gork

10x ardboyz

mainbody:

warchanter - general - prophet of the waaagh!

20x ardboyz

rearguard:

warchanter

10x ardboyz

Battalion - ardfist

total points 1000/1000

2 artifacts 2 cp 98 wounds

It’s not risk free obviously as you shaman might die after having teleported his boys across the field, but in that case your almost guaranteed of preventing at least 1/3 of your opponents army from ever making the battlefield. The beauty of it is that there are two layers to it, once the battalion warchanter is on the field you can bring back your slain units of boys as long as he’s alive. I’d advise the battalion warchanter not to be the general to spread your assets as you might trick your opponent into going after the prophet once both chanters are on the field. 

Edited by Warfiend
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Malakree said:

You could also drop down both units of Brutes to Ardboyz / GG, that would put you bang on the money?

Leave the Warchanter holding the Brooch, and give something sexy to the Maw Krusha.

6 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

You could also drop down both units of Brutes to Ardboyz / GG, that would put you bang on the money?

Leave the Warchanter holding the Brooch, and give something sexy to the Maw Krusha.

The brutes+cp are more important. I'd only drop one down to ardboys to get the cp because it more reliably gets the second unit into combat.

You're big hitters are the two cabbages and the brutes. GG's and ardboys are only really strong if you manage to stack up a good number of Waaagh! which is obv dependent on having more cps 😁

Plus I value the triumph over the artefact.

The list I'm gonna play at CCBB in 2 weeks. I wanted to go with Ironsunz at first, but i've decided to settle on Weirdfist Cog cause I liked the way it looked on my display board :). Picture to follow!

The game plan is to play mostly defensive, trying to maximize damage output from weirnob, and use the Krusha and 6 pig for special mission. It's not a waaagh army, it's more about mortal output. Try to cast Foot/Bolt/Puke from safe distance and grind opposing heros / tough units. Artefact are not 100% settle, i'm still thinking of taking the Etheral amulet.

Mortal Realm: Shyish
- General
- Boss Gore-hacka and Scrap-tooth
- Artefact: Daubing of Mork 
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
- Artefact: The Ragged Cloak 
- Spell: Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)