AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

22 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

If I’m not mistaken with the GHB 2019 change to smash and bash it can only proc 1 time now correct? 

Megaboss on Maw-Krusha destroys a unit, Brutes then attack due to smashing and bashing and also destroy a unit but I can no longer do smashing and bashing. 

Is this an accurate interpretation of the new phrasing? 

I don't think they changed it, but I don't have GHB19 with me, will check tonight

2 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

Why do they specify 1 Friendly unit then? Am I Just getting caught up on the digit? I read it was only 1 Friendly unit that has not attacked yet can attack but none after 🤷‍♂️

They specify cause  you select units 1 by 1. It's synonym to 'an Ironjawz unit'.

You pick 1 unit to fight. If it destroy something, you then pick 1 unit and this unit fight. Then if this unit destroy something, you'll choose a new unit.

10 minutes ago, broche said:

They specify cause  you select units 1 by 1. It's synonym to 'an Ironjawz unit'.

You pick 1 unit to fight. If it destroy something, you then pick 1 unit and this unit fight. Then if this unit destroy something, you'll choose a new unit.

Oh ok. I realized it’s the exact same is GH2018 except they changed the writing from “one” to “1” and I’m not sure why. That’s what probably threw me off. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

Why do they specify 1 Friendly unit then? Am I Just getting caught up on the digit? I read it was only 1 Friendly unit that has not attacked yet can attack but none after 🤷‍♂️

396C4F96-C7A8-401B-A33C-A1533364A08E.png

You are right in the way you interpret the text. However, when another enemy unit is killed, it triggers Smashin' and Bashin' again, and you can then pick another friendly unit to attack. It can technically trigger indefinitely.

7 hours ago, Jabbuk said:

You are right in the way you interpret the text. However, when another enemy unit is killed, it triggers Smashin' and Bashin' again, and you can then pick another friendly unit to attack. It can technically trigger indefinitely.

It's also one of the few ways to get round slaanesh locus of distraction and they are massive right now!

6 hours ago, Malakree said:

It's also one of the few ways to get round slaanesh locus of distraction and they are massive right now!

Hey @Malakree I was wondering if the reason why you 60% shields 40% weapons in your ardboys is because you rarely over extend and always keep them in rows of 2. That way you only have a few of them attack but most of them tank hits and slow the opponent. Is that the reason why?

31 minutes ago, Jabbuk said:

Hey @Malakree I was wondering if the reason why you 60% shields 40% weapons in your ardboys is because you rarely over extend and always keep them in rows of 2. That way you only have a few of them attack but most of them tank hits and slow the opponent. Is that the reason why?

So it's got a few reasons.

First is that ardboys have one job, to soak damage and pin the enemy while you get the bomb setup.

Second is, as you sort of guessed, is that I chain ardboys out to cover space and limit the opponents movement. This combines with the first reason in that I have very low frontage on the unit.

Best example of this is from two years ago when I tagged a unit of 10 protectors with one ardboy on the end just at the edge of 3". This then tailed back to the rest of the unit which was engaged in the actual fight I wanted them in. (It was a unit of 30) That terrifying unit of 10 then spent the next 3 rounds slowly making it's way down the tail never having more than 3 in range to attack. As a result of doing this I had 15+ ardboys, over half the unit, not fighting. 

The third reason is the culmination of the other reasons in the waaagh! bomb. If I get 8/9 extra attacks from the bomb then each extra ardboy is 10 attacks. So if my unit of 10 has taken 14 wounds I have saved 2 of them meaning I still have my 4 big choppas alive. Someone with 10 big choppas has lost 7 models so only has 3 alive. As a result I get 40 attacks to their 30, a full 5 ardboys fighting in a normal round of combat.

If you then extrapolate to larger units of ardboys you can see I'm getting a bunch of extra wounds which reduces my casualties, often from areas which aren't actually in combat. This then reduces my potential loss to battleshock. All of which combines into my unit pinning and stalling longer AND having more models alive for the waaagh! Bomb.

Don't forget aswell that the difference between a unit wipe and 1 ardboy surviving can be crucial if that's your 6th unit on the bomb turn. If you roll 3 6s you've lost 6 extra attacks because of that one model.

• LOVE IT! 2

7 hours ago, Malakree said:

I played against a bent slaanesh summoning list last night for practice.  I killed everything I could (two keepers, exalted chariot, 30 daemonettes, 5 hellstriders) and he had 70 depravity and summoned two new keepers and 10 daemonettes back, then piled in twice with each keeper to wipe my brutes and megaboss.  I played my best positioning wise with good charges to overload each hero to make sure I'd always have at least one unit swinging first to go for smash and bash.

Things that could have gone different:  
1 - I was not -1 to hit for the first battleround.  I may have had some extra ardboyz on his back objective for an additional turn to buy me another round of scoring.
2 - I did not get any command points back.  I maxed out at +3 attacks only for my first waaagh.  If I had maybe got to +7 I think I could have killed all the heroes in the first swing.

But, he was just proxying the army, and I think a good player will always keep one hero safely away wrapped with chaff.  

Maybe you need the double to take all the heroes off?  I feel okay about the matchup but it's still difficult.

23 minutes ago, Malakree said:

@tolstedt Which hero did you miss and was there anyway you could have zoned his summoning?

keeper of secrets.  If my ardboyz had survivded i maybe could have surrounded sie with a pile-in to stop summoning, but they would die eventually and open up summoning again.

I was able to play a game against slaanesh this past weekend.  I got lucky in that my opponent kept both of his keepers close to one another (he wont make the same mistake again), so I was able to put in a unit of 10 brutes with the special weapons on 1 of the keepers and the 7 other 2h weapons into the other (they were locused).  I then found a target that my mawkrusha could easily kill, started combat with the maw-krusha, killed the target and then activated smashing and bashing and bypassed locus on the 10 brutes and killed both keepers with 4 waaghs ( I have still be using aetherbroach).   Game ended bottom of turn 1 lol.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What do you guys think of this 1000 pts list?

Strategy is to have many units to guarantee Waagh! power. Would play it slow and like a death star. A lot of investment is on the Megaboss to last a long time with Ethereal Amulet and Ironclad. I have an extra CP too. I have some mobility with GGs to cap objectives. Would you guys invest in making the Megaboss more durable or pick Prophet of the Waagh to try to get 6s? I also have a unit of Brutes to tackle bigger monsters with the Megaboss. 

Other option would be to get the Shaman instead of the Warchanter to have a caster and unbind spells if necessary. Would probable take Power of the Waaagh as a spell or Great Big Green Hand of Gork.

Allegiance: Ironjawz
Mortal Realm: Shyish
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
- Trait: Ironclad 
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet 
Orruk Warchanter (80)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
- 4x Choppa or Smasha & Shields
- 6x Big Choppas
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
- 6x Pair of Choppas or Smashas
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- 1x Gore Choppas
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas

Total: 950 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 98

Would appreciate if you could comment on it. Thanks :)

Edited by Jabbuk

2 hours ago, Jabbuk said:

What do you guys think of this 1000 pts list?

Strategy is to have many units to guarantee Waagh! power. Would play it slow and like a death star. A lot of investment is on the Megaboss to last a long time with Ethereal Amulet and Ironclad. I have an extra CP too. I have some mobility with GGs to cap objectives. Would you guys invest in making the Megaboss more durable or pick Prophet of the Waagh to try to get 6s? I also have a unit of Brutes to tackle bigger monsters with the Megaboss. 

Other option would be to get the Shaman instead of the Warchanter to have a caster and unbind spells if necessary. Would probable take Power of the Waaagh as a spell or Great Big Green Hand of Gork.

Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
Orruk Warchanter (80)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
- 6x Big Choppas
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- 1x Gore Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas

Would appreciate if you could comment on it. Thanks :)

Here's another question I have also. I look up some 1000 pts lists around the internet and all I see are lists that take the Ironfist battalion. I kinda feel like at 1000 points, that's a lot of points and this is often a game of having a lot of wounds on the field. Am I wrong in thinking that? I would rather have another unit than a battalion at such low point count.

6 hours ago, Jabbuk said:

Here's another question I have also. I look up some 1000 pts lists around the internet and all I see are lists that take the Ironfist battalion. I kinda feel like at 1000 points, that's a lot of points and this is often a game of having a lot of wounds on the field. Am I wrong in thinking that? I would rather have another unit than a battalion at such low point count.

I too have always prefered bodies over battalions on low point games. In my experience that also worked better. But I'm always playing the objective game to win by round 2-3 instead of trying to kill the opponent more then he kills me

Spoiler

Mortal Realm: Hysh
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (420)
- General
- Choppa and Rip-tooth fist
- Trait: Ironclad
- Artefact: Mirrored Cuirass
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- Artefact: Sash of the Ten Paradises
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch
Orruk Warchanter (80)
20 x Orruk Ardboys (280)
- 10x Choppa or Smasha & Shields
- 10x Big Choppas
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
- 10x Big Choppas
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Jagged Gore-hackas
- 1x Gore Choppas
Ironfist (160)
Bloodtoofs (80)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 144

Played this list last night, vs stormcast buddy.   Shifting objectives, Hysh.  I had him go first, he dropped down 3 ballistas, killed my Weirdnob and killed a few ardboys, dropped his stardrake down, missed ranged attacks and only did 1 mortal with his ability.  He moved up with his army, taking all the objectives.  He shot me his troglodon and also dropped down some sequitors, which ended up charging my set of 10 ardboys. 

On my turn, I used mighty destroyers 3 times, moving the unit of 20 ardboys, the unit of brutes toward the stardrake, and my Mawkrusha towards the troglodon.  I got all 3 command points back!!  I then warchanted the brutes and a unit of goregruntas.  Then I waaagh'd 4 times, and got 3 more command points back!!  Moved everything up, getting everything I had into combat except for the 2 warchanters.  Start of combat, I used 2 command points to 'fight first' (command ability from Hysh) (he used one to fight first) and my last command point to reroll 1's to hit.  I did not get those command points back.   Waagh goes off, rolled 4 dice, got one 6, so +5 attacks.  I then killed his stardrake with a unit of brutes, killed his troglodon with my mawkrusha, killed his lord ordinator and wounding a ballista with a unit of goregruntas, killed a unit of 5 liberators with the unit of 20 ardboys...and we ended the game.

New ****** is great!  Aetherquartz is nuts.

Question:  Its my turn.  We both spend a point to fight first, since it is my turn, I go first.  If I kill a unit with that unit that is 'fighting first/immediately', how does smashing and bashing work?  Would he then go with the unit he spent a command point on? Or would smashing and bashing allow a unit to fight before that? just wondering, it almost came up, but I killed the thing he spent the command point on...so it didn't.
Edited by Superninja
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Superninja said:

Hide contents

Mortal Realm: Hysh
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (420)
- General
- Choppa and Rip-tooth fist
- Trait: Ironclad
- Artefact: Mirrored Cuirass
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- Artefact: Sash of the Ten Paradises
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch
Orruk Warchanter (80)
20 x Orruk Ardboys (280)
- 10x Choppa or Smasha & Shields
- 10x Big Choppas
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
- 10x Big Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Jagged Gore-hackas
- 1x Gore Choppas
Ironfist (160)
Bloodtoofs (80)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 144

Played this list last night, vs stormcast buddy.   Shifting objectives, Hysh.  I had him go first, he dropped down 3 ballistas, killed my Weirdnob and killed a few ardboys, dropped his stardrake down, missed ranged attacks and only did 1 mortal with his ability.  He moved up with his army, taking all the objectives.  He shot me his troglodon and also dropped down some sequitors, which ended up charging my set of 10 ardboys. 

On my turn, I used mighty destroyers 3 times, moving the unit of 20 ardboys, the unit of brutes toward the stardrake, and my Mawkrusha towards the troglodon.  I got all 3 command points back!!  I then warchanted the brutes and a unit of goregruntas.  Then I waaagh'd 4 times, and got 3 more command points back!!  Moved everything up, getting everything I had into combat except for the 2 warchanters.  Start of combat, I used 2 command points to 'fight first' (command ability from Hysh) (he used one to fight first) and my last command point to reroll 1's to hit.  I did not get those command points back.   Waagh goes off, rolled 4 dice, got one 6, so +5 attacks.  I then 1 shot his stardrake with a unit of brutes, killed his troglodon with my mawkrusha, killed his lord ordinator and wounding a ballista with a unit of goregruntas, killed a unit of 5 liberators with the unit of 20 ardboys...and we ended the game.

New ****** is great!  Aetherquartz is nuts.

That's great man, thanks for sharing some of your strategies. I had a question about synergy for my list at 1000pts. 

Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
Orruk Warchanter (80)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
- 6x Big Choppas
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- 1x Gore Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas

In smaller lists like this, would it be better to have a Warchanter or a Weirdnob Shaman as a support hero? I like the Warchanter for his +1 to hit buff but I'm also without a caster and cannot unbind spell. Plus, with the Shaman, I could decide to teleport a unit of brutes to kill an important target, for example. What do you guys think about either choice? Warchanter vs Weirdnob Shaman.

1 hour ago, Superninja said:

Question:  Its my turn.  We both spend a point to fight first, since it is my turn, I go first.  If I kill a unit with that unit that is 'fighting first/immediately', how does smashing and bashing work?  Would he then go with the unit he spent a command point on? Or would smashing and bashing allow a unit to fight before that? just wondering, it almost came up, but I killed the thing he spent the command point on...so it didn't.

It's the combat phase and your turn. You spend the command point and then trigger it before he spends any. He can only use that CA after you have finished all your beginning of combat phase stuff. 

As to smashing and bashing, it triggers immediately before anything else and only requires that it's the combat phase. Since its your turn you activate your responses before they get to do anything.

So start of the combat phase, you do your waaagh! etc. You elect to spend a cp to activate a unit, it then wipes something out. Smashing and bashing activates and you immediately activate another unit. Continue until finished.

Then your opponent gets to use all of his start of combat phase abilities in any order he chooses.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2019 at 6:47 AM, tolstedt said:

I played against a bent slaanesh summoning list last night for practice.  I killed everything I could (two keepers, exalted chariot, 30 daemonettes, 5 hellstriders) and he had 70 depravity and summoned two new keepers and 10 daemonettes back, then piled in twice with each keeper to wipe my brutes and megaboss.  I played my best positioning wise with good charges to overload each hero to make sure I'd always have at least one unit swinging first to go for smash and bash.

Things that could have gone different:  
1 - I was not -1 to hit for the first battleround.  I may have had some extra ardboyz on his back objective for an additional turn to buy me another round of scoring.
2 - I did not get any command points back.  I maxed out at +3 attacks only for my first waaagh.  If I had maybe got to +7 I think I could have killed all the heroes in the first swing.

But, he was just proxying the army, and I think a good player will always keep one hero safely away wrapped with chaff.  

Maybe you need the double to take all the heroes off?  I feel okay about the matchup but it's still difficult.

I recently played a game against Ironjawz with my Slaanesh, his was the typical bloodtoofs / 30 ardboys list and mine was the double keeper, 30 daemonettes and hellstrider chaff list.

It is a tough road for the ironjawz in this battle. He made the mistake of using his hand of Gork to put 30 Ardboyz with big choppas into the 5 helstriders screening my 2 keepers and epitome where he was hoping to wipe them out in 1 turn with a couple of Waaghs. Things to consider as to why this was a bad call and lessons for everyone here:

1. Ardboyz will almost certainly strike last, and I had 2 command points, which is 2 keepers fighting twice, some hellstriders and an epitome. I did the full 60 wounds on his turn, wiped them out and summoned a 3rd keeper turn 1 - it was over in his first turn. Keep track of the number of command points, I just barely did the 60 wounds, if I only had 1 battalion there would have been a good number of survivors. If they had shields a few would have been left alive, even better would have been ironsunz since I hit with a lot of 3s which would have missed.

2. Dont need to engage. The ironjawz took position on the table and my stuff didn't fly. The ardboyz could have not charged at all, just sat back a few inches and screened in my army meaning rather than me killing them all and then moving out in my turn, I can only hit the ardboyz on my turn. Plus if I am charging then my characters have to be within attacking range.

3. Remember 1" range. It was a doomed attack since the helstriders screened my keepers and my 2" range could fight over them. Even if he went first he could kill the Hellstriders and still be killed back. As mentioned in an earlier post, it would have been a very clever move that might have won him the game turn 1 to tag in the megaboss on mawkrusha onto the corner of the hellstriders (hopefully just out of 6" of my locus, kill them and allow the ardboyz to smashing and bashing fight with no screen, that would have been a nasty shock.

So in short:

1. Dont overestimate your ardboyz resilience or underestimate opponents killing power - be aware of double fighting and how many CP they have

2. Decide if you even need to fight that turn. If you are screening anyway and they dont fly, you can reduce the damage you take in 1 combat phase to 0 by not being engaged.

3. Remember your range is short, things can attack you over screens and you cant attack them. Consider other things to kill the screen first, especially if chaff which can allow you to pile in and fight immediately afterwards.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I signed up for a local tournament in the games workshop store here with Ironjawz at 1,500 points. Having trouble coming up with a good list though. I feel like it's hard to fit everything I feel like I need in...

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (420)
- Boss Gore-hacka and Scrap-tooth
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Warchanter (80)

Battleline
20 x Orruk Ardboys (280)
- 10x Pair of Choppas or Smashas
- 10x Big Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- 1x Gore Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas

Total: 1430 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 117

Something like this. Sadly I don't seem to be able to fit in a battalion or the 5 required guys to fill out an Ironfist as it is anyway. Not sure how to rearrange things. 

@Superninja Nice write up. You're game is a good sample of the flow for most Ironjawz game. And in my opinion it kinda show that Ironsunz have much more value than bloodtooth in those kind of game. 

In general, I think if your strategy is to let you're opponent go first, Ironsunz is much better, as most army are fast and will want to cover objective in their oppening turn. 

I see bloodtooth being more an option if you want to usually go first and throw Krushas and Pig on your opponent objectives.

1 hour ago, broche said:

@Superninja Nice write up. You're game is a good sample of the flow for most Ironjawz game. And in my opinion it kinda show that Ironsunz have much more value than bloodtooth in those kind of game. 

In general, I think if your strategy is to let you're opponent go first, Ironsunz is much better, as most army are fast and will want to cover objective in their oppening turn. 

I see bloodtooth being more an option if you want to usually go first and throw Krushas and Pig on your opponent objectives.

I do think he played it out wrong and got punished for it.

You teleport the ardboys then when you charge you tag one end while remaining 3" from the keepers so they don't get brought into combat leaving them pinned in the deployment zone.

On the opponents turn they ten shuffle and try to charge/eliminate your ardboys. Crucially they have missed the turn 1 summoning window, lost some of their screen and are now pinned into their deployment zone while you get to run up the board.

If you get priority turn 2 you bomb and clean him from the board. If not it depends on how many ardboys survived and whether you manage to screen then off the key units. Potentially you then need to gamble on turn 3 prio or you can just go for the bomb clean anyway.

In this situation the extra charge and run is massive. It makes you so much quicker and lets you better setup after the ardboy charge. The reduced waaagh! Requirement is also huge if you drop turn 2 prio as it means dropping to 4/5 units doesn't cripple you.

So I disagree I see it as player error not build error and -1 to hit doesn't stop 2 double attacking keepers from tearing your ardboys apart while still generating enough to summon an extra keeper.

14 minutes ago, Malakree said:

So I disagree I see it as player error not build error and -1 to hit doesn't stop 2 double attacking keepers from tearing your ardboys apart while still generating enough to summon an extra keeper.

I think you messed up Slaneesh and Stormcast, I was refering to Superninja post.

But they way I understand the Slaneesh matchup, I would rather have the -1 to hit as well agains it.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, broche said:

I think you messed up Slaneesh and Stormcast, I was refering to Superninja post.

But they way I understand the Slaneesh matchup, I would rather have the -1 to hit as well agains it.

As a Slaansh player I don't disagree. With few attacks that hit really hard and limited access to rerolls, that -1 to hit can be infuriating. I have the same frustration when fighting moonclan grots which will never die because of it.