So I'm considering between my available models - looking to either go full Ironjawz with Gordrakk - or "Savage Horde" with Beastriders (Ogors) and Bonesplitters + Troll and giants. I like the themes for both armies, with the Ironjawz being a small but powerful force of elites and heavy-hitters, while I also enjoy the more "savage" theme with the horde option. 

I've seen a couple rumors before that implied Ironjawz were going to receive an expansion to their available units, but I've been unable to locate anything concrete since spotting something a few weeks ago. Anyways, I just wanted to see if anyone out there knew/heard anything - and beyond that, what are the communities' thoughts on the two options? 

It's disappointing in regards to battleline that I can't just ally Beastriders with my Ironjawz - both of the model ranges are so amazing -

Also just to add onto the above - I figured we were due an update for the Ironjawz Tome at the latest, as was pointed out elsewhere, given the lack of artifacts, command traits, and such that are missing from their current version. Perhaps I don't know GW enough, but it would strike me as rather insulting for them to release a version and then add 2-3 pages and just release it again within the same year. 

I think the latest rumour is there will be an allegiances book in a couple of months that updates the factions that didn't get allegiance abilities. I doubt any new models are coming, but both Stormcast and Bloodbound got new models after their release waves, so could happen.

Personally, I'm thinking of making an Ironjawz/Bonesplittaz army. Just unfortunate you don't get the specialized lore and whatnot if you mix factions.

Here's the two armies I'm attempting to pick from ~

The Ironjawz benefits from obviously being focused around a specific faction - Gordrakk can pump almost the full force (as a battalion) at 2000-2500 pts, but you're almost always outnumbered and I have access to only shamans for ranged attacks. 

The other army is built around the Beastriders for cav support, and the Bonesplitters for swarming objectives or taking down opposing monsters. In addition, I figured I could "theme" in trolls and a giant to offer some support to fill in the gaps for smaller games or whatever. 

It's a tough call to make - but I'm leaning slightly towards the Ironjawz just on the basis that I don't need to buy and paint up 3 more units of Savages just to have my battleline requirement met. 

13730612_10206868022559336_742336254_o.jpg

13692180_10206868022519335_1748884850_o.jpg

Yeah I can't see Ironjawz getting anything by way of an expansion at present. Destruction is getting a lot of love overall and there are plenty of Factions that I suspect will get done before we see more Ironjawz releases (ie new warscrolls/models).

The exception being unique traits, artefacts and spells as per the above comments around the rumoured allegiance book.

The new Start Collecting box looks great though, and seeing that pic of your current army @Byro seems like it could be a great purchase (or two!) for you.

There is an innate issue with mixing the Destruction units thanks to that pesky Battleline tax. That said, the new Savage Orruks having 2 wounds a pop makes 3x10 of them a pretty legit choice for 300 points, if you want to branch out a little.

Yeah, totally agree with you Chris. I think we'll be seeing loads of 3 x 10 Savage Orcs on the table. All my current Destruction builds seems to have them as a core 'Tax'.

Something I did think about and need to contact TO's about is that you only need to take 3 Battleline units if you take 2000 points. So if my army comes to 1990 points, do I only need to take 2? It's not like old 8th Ed. where you had to take 25% core so it made no difference taking a few points under 2000. I cannot find anything in the GH that says you need to take more than 2 Battleline until you get to 2000 points.

4 minutes ago, Honcho said:

In general, if you attend a 2k point tourney all armies must adhere to the rules at 2k points whether they come in a few points shy or not. 

Yeah, I realise that's the way we've always played it, and I guess it will be the case. But it is worth putting it out there. Plus of course, there is now a bonus roll on a benefits table for the player who deploys the least points, so I guess that will be something to bear in mind

there's nothing stopping GW from putting out a few relic and warlord tables in the new White Dwarf... I mean that would be the way to

a) give wd some quality/must buy

b) give the same love to already updated factions without garnering all the hate from dropping new books with 2 pages tacked on

c) getting that sweet consumer love

16 hours ago, Soup Dragon said:

Yeah, totally agree with you Chris. I think we'll be seeing loads of 3 x 10 Savage Orcs on the table. All my current Destruction builds seems to have them as a core 'Tax'.

Something I did think about and need to contact TO's about is that you only need to take 3 Battleline units if you take 2000 points. So if my army comes to 1990 points, do I only need to take 2? It's not like old 8th Ed. where you had to take 25% core so it made no difference taking a few points under 2000. I cannot find anything in the GH that says you need to take more than 2 Battleline until you get to 2000 points.

I'm happy enough with my pure Ironjawz at present, but in the future (after getting bored of losing all the time ;)) when I want to branch out into mixed Destruction, I can't see past 3x 10 Savage Orruks. A very solid "tax" as the number of wounds makes them much more resilient if being used as objective grabbers etc.

Regarding your second point, I would expect all armies at a 2,000 point event to be required to take 3 battleline units, regardless of whether they hit 2,000 on the nose. Realistically, most armies won't and don't forget there is the triumph table as a bonus for armies that total less points (again, whether tournaments use this is down to the TO).

That said, just because this is how we did it in WFB, doesn't mean it should be an assumption, so perhaps worth asking. At my future events (if using army selection restrictions) I would suggest you build an army up to 2,000 points, using the restrictions applicable to that size.

How are you considering ruling it at your events?  :) 

8 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

How are you considering ruling it at your events?  :) 

Not sure yet. Will probably go with the consensus, which is almost certainly going to be that your list has to conform to 2000 point rules, even if it is less than 2000 points.

I am seriously thinking about doing a 'fast and furious' event - one day, 5 games, 1000 points, 1hr 15 mins per round. I ran a mini tournament at 13 Clash points and that worked brilliant, so need to do some play testing, and then ask around the community once we are all up and running with Generals Handbook, and see if there's the appetite for smaller, faster games. I also have a neat name for a 1000 point event.

You are right in what you say about 3 x 10 Savage Orruks. I have split the stats multiple ways and thought through various scenarios, and the Savage Orruks beat all the other vanilla Destruction Battleline units hands down every time. I will likely be taking them to Alliance, but it now looks like there is a chance that Beastclaw Battletome will be out the day before, so I'll hopefully revert to type and take Behemoths as battleline. God, I love Stonehorns and Thundertusks.

I know the feeling is that 3x10 Savage Orcs will be the default goto for Destruction tax, but I still think one unit of 20 Moonclan grots are a worthwhile investment. Even if it is just for the nets.

You still get 20 wounds and if you take shields and spears you get a 5+ save

The ability to just run into range of the nets behind another unit gives your opponent the choice of killing the main target or clearing out 20 grots to remove the -1. The few times I have done this and "wasted" an inspiring presence on them they have been game changing. I have also been on the wrong side of this tactic and had to make that choice

@Soup Dragon

Yeh, to be honest, I suspect that will be the consensus. However, I also think that we will see much more variety in the way TO's do things in AoS post GH (compared to WFB anyway), which is a good thing in my opinion.

The "fast & furious" event sounds super fun actually. I like that a lot. Kinda like speed dating for Warhammer haha! I think AoS will work pretty well at smaller size games like this, way more so than WFB ever did.

Yup, looks like Beastclaw Raiders will be on preorder for 30/07 and release 06/07 - pretty exciting in general and for you more than most I guess!

@Kanamorf

That's not a bad call. As you say, it's 20 wounds and the nets are good. The problem is, being one wound models you lose twice as many models (check me - advanced maths here!), which really really hurts in the Battleshock phase. For this reason alone I would argue they are no where near as hardy as the Savages. Sure, Inspiring Presence...but if we are talking "battleline tax", I think we'd agree there will be better targets within your army.

Still, I'm not discounting the idea (nets really are as good as you say!) and aesthetically if you were looking to achieve a proper old skool Greenskin rabble look, having a mix of all the different factions could be fun.

Anyway....waaaaay off topic :P

....or is it?

We are talking Ironjawz expansion. For me, I consider branching into full Destruction an inevitability and will be my "Ironjawz expansion". Have I saved it there? ;) 

3 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Anyway....waaaaay off topic :P

....or is it?

We are talking Ironjawz expansion. For me, I consider branching into full Destruction an inevitability and will be my "Ironjawz expansion". Have I saved it there? ;) 

well saved ;) 

The Start Collecting! Battalions aren't costed as they're meant for Open or Narrative play.

(I may be wrong on this but I haven't seen any that are costed, including the big Flesh-Eaters box.)

I really want to see an errata for the Ironjawz tome that gives them some Allegiance abilities and artifacts or at the very least an FAQ that say they can just use the Desctruction ones.

EDIT: And they did! It's right there in the FAQ.

37 minutes ago, Dr_Keenbean said:

an FAQ that say they can just use the Desctruction ones.

EDIT: And they did! It's right there in the FAQ.

Yeh thankfully this was confirmed before the General's Handbook dropped. Its an absolute necessity IMO.

I think it's rumoured they will release an allegiance book to add stuff to the "old" battletomes. Would be great, though I'm more than happy with what we have by way of the Destruction stuff.

Archived