Primer Color?

Basically, how dark do you want the the base coat to go on? Using black will leave it darker, white will have it come out lighter.

The more 'pale skin' WarhammerTV guide suggests white, then grey, whilst Duncan's has you use the grey primer.

There's a lot of debate about the non-black/white GW spray cans and whether or not they act as a proper primer. Even the official videos and descriptions contradict one another a few times on this. If you want to go straight in with a grey primer instead of white-then-grey I'd grab one of the Army Painter cans since it does act as an actual primer.

Here are the two videos anyway.

1 minute ago, mmmBoysNight said:

Oh ok thanks. I didn’t even realize there was a grey. Thanks for the info, I’m new to painting, and warhammer as a whole.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Citadel-Basecoat-Spray-Mechanicus-Standard-Grey

As above, there's a bit of debate on whether or not you should still use a black/white primer before using the other coloured sprays. Most people seem fine with it though, so if you're new to this I'd not stress terribly much. I'm sure others can offer their opinion on it. 

Do you want your models to have colours that pop a bit more or more dark and forboding models that have dark shadows. Because until you learn all kinds of techniques that’s what it comes down to. (Very roughly of course but t worked as a starter point for me) If you like the paint scheme on the box. Try out the warhammer tv tutorials as linked above. They really teach you stuff but it’s all down to practice. Also start a picture/painting log on this forum an post your progress. Their are so many great painters here that will help?

As I hope this did ;) 

Just to complicate matters some people prime with black, then again with white from above (or maybe even grey, then white). 

I wouldn't start with zenithal priming just yet if you're new to the hobby, but after you've been painting for a while it would something worth looking up.  There are some great "hobby cheating" tutorials covering this on YouTube.

MGP

I had sometimes bad experience with the cheaper Army painter spray paints (paint clogging, spitting..).  But Wolf grey spray (with some zenital white spray) could be nice for Slaanesh.  Generally I like GW Storm Vermin Fur, a ligh grey (very slightly greenish) or for warmer color and skin tons Zandri Dust (beige) .

I never had problem while using non-"primer" spray. They are sticking to the mini fine. SOme will tell you to spray black or white then spray the color, but it's more the adherence of your layer paint on the sprayed base which may be a problem (with some metallic paint and graffiti spray, often not thin enough and "lackery") and spraying black before will not change it...

In my experience, the hobby primers have much less paint in them than something from the hardware store.  I keep one black, one white on hand.

Black is a better starting spot if you are going to do a lot of metals.  I don't know the science of it... Also use black primer if you are painting light sources (an advanced technique), since you build up to light.

White is better if you are doing bright colors.  

When in doubt, use white.  It's far more forgiving.

Speaking to one of the chaps at GW ones, the spray cans (black, white, coloured etc) all contain an "etching" agent which binds them into plastic a bit better than cans without.  You can see this if you strip a model - the spray colour will have tainted the plastic underneath.  The only can that's a bit different is Stormvermin Fur, which is labelled up as "Scenery" paint and goes on a little rougher than the other colours.

The benefit (at least for me) of using a black or white before a colour can is that you get a more vibrant end colour.  As an example, Mephiston Red straight onto grey plastic will give quite a muted effect.  On top of white it'll be pretty bright and on top of black you actually get a solid red base.  For scenery, I'd always use a coloured can ;)

For Daemonettes, I'd say that Grey or White would be the best options.  However it depends on the effect you're going for, one very effective technique is to spray a model white and then use a wash straight over - Tyler Mengel is a master of this technique (check out his Kairic Acolyte & Nighthaunt and articles on Warhammer Community).  Also have a look at the Daemonette WHTV tutorial and one for lighter skin too

• 2 months later...

Archived