Let's chat Stormcast Eternals

Requizen

SCE in general can struggle to put bodies on objectives unless you're running lots of Libs and Paladins. The shooting units want to be far away (and are slow), and the super tough things like Dracoths and Stardrakes are low number. Most of our win conditions are built around killing enough stuff that our low count can actually contest/control objectives. 

For example, in Duality of Death (aka Three Places of Power), the goal of Aetherstrike is to lock down one objective and then just shoot all Heroes/Monsters so the opponent can't even score. You will never be able to control both while still consolidating your forces enough to not get overrun. 

The "meta" Aetherstrike list that is often discussed (with Castellant and Protectors) gives a solid frontline that can get on objectives, but is still very low model count and needs to do devastating damage before it can actually control objectives. But, it has the resiliency that you generally don't lose your big 9-man Longstrike block before going down. 

This, I think, is the biggest strength of the Skyborne Slayers - the ability to get large-ish numbers of models onto objectives quickly and in range to do that chunking damage. But you really do need to hit as hard as possible with the initial drop, otherwise you're gonna get taken down a notch. 

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Stormcast sort of almost turned into a full size force (been as the buggars won't give me elves). So, after I have finished all my painting (and done with Armies on Parade this year) I am looking at finally spending some time having some games occasionally. I think I have a little bit of an issue though as far as making a half-decent legal force for 2000pts however:

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals

Leaders
Lord-Celestant On Stardrake (560)
- General
- Celestine Hammer
- Trait: Staunch Defender 
- Artefact: Mirrorshield 
- Stardrake Trait: Keen-clawed
Lord-Relictor (80)
- Prayer: Bless Weapons

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandblades
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandblades

Units
10 x Paladin Retributors (440)
- 2x Starsoul Maces
3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (180)

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 1460 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400

So I currently have the above as a sort of base/core in mind, buy I also have the following other units I can fill this 2000pts up with:

3x Prosecutors w/Celestial Hammers
4x Liberators (stood on a box and had random bits got for me)
3x Vanguard Palladors
Neave Stormtalon
Knight Questor
5x Vanguard Hunters
3x Vanguard Raptors w/Hurricaine Crossbows
6x Aetherwings
Vandus Hammerhand (that I an going to stick the spare shield on from my Stardrake I think to make him a regular Lord Celestant)

Personally I think I am going to have to invest in another hero and another box maybe to make something half competitive, what would be your answers with what I have and/or what would you add? (keeping the budget to £50).

I have had a look at popular battalions such as Aetherstrike and Hammerstrike, but I seem to be way off Aetherstrike. But as for Hammerstrike I don't see the point of it for me, on the Relictor I either take bless weapons, which would not be in range of the Retributors, or I take lightning chariot which negates the need to take the battalion and the prosecutors.

Thanks in advance guys :D

16 minutes ago, Requizen said:

SCE in general can struggle to put bodies on objectives unless you're running lots of Libs and Paladins. The shooting units want to be far away (and are slow), and the super tough things like Dracoths and Stardrakes are low number. Most of our win conditions are built around killing enough stuff that our low count can actually contest/control objectives. 

For example, in Duality of Death (aka Three Places of Power), the goal of Aetherstrike is to lock down one objective and then just shoot all Heroes/Monsters so the opponent can't even score. You will never be able to control both while still consolidating your forces enough to not get overrun. 

The "meta" Aetherstrike list that is often discussed (with Castellant and Protectors) gives a solid frontline that can get on objectives, but is still very low model count and needs to do devastating damage before it can actually control objectives. But, it has the resiliency that you generally don't lose your big 9-man Longstrike block before going down. 

This, I think, is the biggest strength of the Skyborne Slayers - the ability to get large-ish numbers of models onto objectives quickly and in range to do that chunking damage. But you really do need to hit as hard as possible with the initial drop, otherwise you're gonna get taken down a notch. 

I am now convinced that 30x Vulkite Berserkers as an allied plugin solves just about everything. Take them with Fyresteel war-picks and bladed sling-shields.

You get numbers;  got mw potential (average of 5 on the charge); sturdiness with a 4+ save if you don't charge and a 4+ ward save until you're on  19 berserkers; 2x 4+/4+/-1 melee attacks per dwarf and a token (but can be a decider) 8" ranged attack.

I think that there are a lot of SC lists that can use these allies. The Relictor LC development is just icing on the cake.

I am just wondering how to paint them up to match my force when I can afford to buy 3 boxes :S

Edit/ I am not speaking about aetherstrike in particular here as I've limited exp with it. But all other SCE lists I've ran previously would have snapped up 330 points of vulkites if I had the option to do so and retain SCE allegiance.

Vulkites are actually fairly hard to fit into Aetherstrike if you want to retain that big 9 man unit. You have to drop everything not in the Battalion except the Libs. Easier if you want to go down to 6 Longstrikes. It's a solid plugin to replace the Castellant/Protectors, but you do trade the shooting defense to get those bodies.

Which brings up another talking point - is the 180 of the Battalion worthwhile if you don't bring one massive unit to take advantage of the extra shooting attack? Is 6 Longstrikes enough?

Essentially 180 points of the Battalion is a unit of Longstrikes or Judicators (not even counting the extra 120 Aetherwing points because you probably wouldn't  take them if you didn't have to). Assuming that potential unit survives the whole game, you only get "full value" from the benefit if you get the equivalent of 5 rounds of Judicator or Longstrike shooting. A unit of 6 Longstrikes needs to get 3 extra rounds of shooting to "make up" for the cost, 9 Longstrikes will do it in 2. Though, of course, it isn't taking into account the other bonuses like Artifacts or less drops. 

The other bonus being that the bigger unit synergizes better with Mystic Light from the Castellant, Lightning Chariot, and Inspiring Presence.

27 minutes ago, Nubgan said:

Personally I think I am going to have to invest in another hero and another box maybe to make something half competitive, what would be your answers with what I have and/or what would you add? (keeping the budget to £50).

I have had a look at popular battalions such as Aetherstrike and Hammerstrike, but I seem to be way off Aetherstrike. But as for Hammerstrike I don't see the point of it for me, on the Relictor I either take bless weapons, which would not be in range of the Retributors, or I take lightning chariot which negates the need to take the battalion and the prosecutors.

The point of Hammerstrike is you can drop straight into combat and gain +1 to wound that turn. It's huge. If you split your Retributors into 2 units and added the 3x Prosecutors w/Celestial Hammers, that would add 320 points putting you at 1780. You've then got 220 points to play around with, however you're lacking a battleline so I guess it's not all that generous. Maybe another unit of Liberators and a Venator or Castellent? But 3 units of 5 Liberator's is sorta meh.

My point is, I really enjoy playing Hammerstrike, and it's far deadlier than people presume.

Curious, do you play Hammerstrike with large Paladin units or small ones? 

I can see both ways. Large units gets you a bit Alpha but puts you a bit all in on the one strike, while smaller units makes it a bit less devastating if your Prosecutors get sniped or if they have massive bubble wrap.

2 hours ago, Siorra said:

The point of Hammerstrike is you can drop straight into combat and gain +1 to wound that turn. It's huge. If you split your Retributors into 2 units and added the 3x Prosecutors w/Celestial Hammers, that would add 320 points putting you at 1780. You've then got 220 points to play around with, however you're lacking a battleline so I guess it's not all that generous. Maybe another unit of Liberators and a Venator or Castellent? But 3 units of 5 Liberator's is sorta meh.

My point is, I really enjoy playing Hammerstrike, and it's far deadlier than people presume.

Yeah I kinda wonder whether it would be worth dropping the Raptors and then taking 10 Judicators as 2 5s so I can block the liberators up. I could then add a knight azyros? (Still 80?)

6 hours ago, Kaleun said:

Which units of Stormcast Eternals would you recommend for a allies detachement of 400 Points?

Are a unit of 6 Longstrike-Vanguard Raptors worth it? (as an alternative to war machines)

id say a relictor since you can use lc on every one and probly some protectors with the -1 shoting or some fulmis can be nice but to be realistic it mostly depends on your list

Hello Team Stormcast.

I am looking at delving into Stormcast, but probably from a different angle than most. I am a tournament organizer and I need a fast playing army that is fun for opponents to play against and has a ton of flavor. My initial thought is 3 Stardrakes backed up by 3x5 Liberators. Would that type of army put up a good fight? Is it too powerful? Does it actually play slower than I anticipate?

I am also looking for army list suggestions meeting the above critera (Fast to play, fun to play against).  Thanks!

12 hours ago, Requizen said:

Vulkites are actually fairly hard to fit into Aetherstrike if you want to retain that big 9 man unit. You have to drop everything not in the Battalion except the Libs. Easier if you want to go down to 6 Longstrikes. It's a solid plugin to replace the Castellant/Protectors, but you do trade the shooting defense to get those bodies.

Which brings up another talking point - is the 180 of the Battalion worthwhile if you don't bring one massive unit to take advantage of the extra shooting attack? Is 6 Longstrikes enough?

Essentially 180 points of the Battalion is a unit of Longstrikes or Judicators (not even counting the extra 120 Aetherwing points because you probably wouldn't  take them if you didn't have to). Assuming that potential unit survives the whole game, you only get "full value" from the benefit if you get the equivalent of 5 rounds of Judicator or Longstrike shooting. A unit of 6 Longstrikes needs to get 3 extra rounds of shooting to "make up" for the cost, 9 Longstrikes will do it in 2. Though, of course, it isn't taking into account the other bonuses like Artifacts or less drops. 

The other bonus being that the bigger unit synergizes better with Mystic Light from the Castellant, Lightning Chariot, and Inspiring Presence.

I've personally found not taking 9 longstrikes for the battalion inst worth it. I want to be able to threaten to kill anything that touches my stuff. Taking down a megaboss on mawcrusher and huskards with one retaliation shooting was a highlight of the weekend.  it really forces difficult decisions for opponents. Though it did require the hurricanum to ensure more MWs and less saves.

Skyborne slayers and warrior brotherhood are the two I want to tinker with next. I just wish you could take a dragon to lead them as part of the battalion.

4 hours ago, bolderiz101 said:

id say a relictor since you can use lc on every one and probly some protectors with the -1 shoting or some fulmis can be nice but to be realistic it mostly depends on your list

A lord relictor as an ally has only lightning storm and healing storm not the SCE allegiance prayers 

12 hours ago, Kaleun said:

Which units of Stormcast Eternals would you recommend for a allies detachement of 400 Points?

Are a unit of 6 Longstrike-Vanguard Raptors worth it? (as an alternative to war machines)

To answer this - yes the longstrikes are kind of nice but for 400 I'd be tempted by 5 judicators and 2 fulminators.

3 hours ago, Nick Dicehammer said:

Hello Team Stormcast.

I am looking at delving into Stormcast, but probably from a different angle than most. I am a tournament organizer and I need a fast playing army that is fun for opponents to play against and has a ton of flavor. My initial thought is 3 Stardrakes backed up by 3x5 Liberators. Would that type of army put up a good fight? Is it too powerful? Does it actually play slower than I anticipate?

I am also looking for army list suggestions meeting the above critera (Fast to play, fun to play against).  Thanks!

I think you would struggle in most match ups because of objectives.

You can threaten shooting enough for that to not be an issue (beware Savage Orcs mind with there bonuses against monsters).

Low model count can really hurt if people focus 1 drake per turn, which is more than doable for a lot of armies, especially because you lack the protection of things like the mirrorshield which usually protects a single Stardrake and things like the Castellant buff which can make them even harder to drag down.

This aside, would look pretty cool mind and your turns would be quick! Couldn't attest to the fun your opponent would have.

3 hours ago, Nick Dicehammer said:

Hello Team Stormcast.

The problem with stardrakes is that they are very hard to kill and most people like to kill stuff on the tabletop. So if you want to make a fun list to have as a reserve list in your tournaments and you want the games to end quickly and have a lot of flavour I would go for a moster mash but not stardrakes.  Maybe a Warherd list. I think everyone would like to play that.

Doombull (120)
6 x Bullgors (360)
6 x Bullgors (360)
6 x Bullgors (360)
4 x Ghorgon (800)

15 hours ago, Requizen said:

Curious, do you play Hammerstrike with large Paladin units or small ones? 

I can see both ways. Large units gets you a bit Alpha but puts you a bit all in on the one strike, while smaller units makes it a bit less devastating if your Prosecutors get sniped or if they have massive bubble wrap.

I've been using 2 units of 5 Retributors for now, 2 starsouls each. But yeah, if your prosecutors die it's definitely disheartening. I found it's worth taking first turn and rushing them in or taking second and keeping them close to your general with Staunch Defender to start. Clump it with a Relictor with lightning chariot, and even if you fail the roll you can still run the prosecutors then snake the paladins to the enemy.

I'm considering trying some Decimators in my next build instead of some of the Retributors to have a better horde counter, but I ran out of starsoul maces when building around the starter set...

for the hammerstrike force, the command trait who make you able to move D3 unit 5" before the game is VERY interesting.

Your prosecutors will move 17 (without running), and 17+2D6 if you run. You won't have any trouble to bring your paladin on the ennemy face turn one

6 hours ago, ledha said:

for the hammerstrike force, the command trait who make you able to move D3 unit 5" before the game is VERY interesting.

Your prosecutors will move 17 (without running), and 17+2D6 if you run. You won't have any trouble to bring your paladin on the ennemy face turn one

How are you getting an extra d6 of run distance?  Prosecutors run d6" like anything else.

Hi. im want to try something new, i came up with such list :

Leaders
Lord-Celestant (100)
- General
- Command Trait : Staunch Defender
- Artefact : Mirrorshield
Lord-Relictor (80)
- Prayer : Lightning Chariot
Lord-Castellant (100)
Knight-Azyros (80)
- Artefact : Armor of Silvered Sigmarite
Knight-Venator (120)
- Artefact : Luckstone
Knight-Heraldor (120)
Units
5 x Judicators (160)
-Skybolt Bows
- 1 x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
-Skybolt Bows
- 1 x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Liberators (100)
-Warhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
-Warhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
-Warhammers
10 x Paladin Protectors (400)
- 2 x Starsoul Maces
Battalions
Lords of the Storm (200)
Thunderhead Brotherhood (180)

Total: 2000 / 2000

The idea behind it is that i have only 3 drops so i hope to go first. Thunderhed Brotherhood will start in celestial realm then land and secure objectives with liberators.  Protectors and heroes to eliminate threats. Did someone here tried something similar, those it stand any chance in current meta?

2 hours ago, Turragor said:

Maybe 3d6 charge mix-up. Doesn't help hammerstrike deployment as much though 

Also, see the "Alert and Forewarned" rule for Tempest's Eye.  

"You can add 2" to the Move characteristic of units in a Tempest's Eye army in the first battle round.  Add 4" to the move characteristic instead if the unit can fly.  In addition, add 1 to the save rolls of units from a Tempest's Eye army in the first battle round."

Combine this with hammerstrike and your paladins can drop in extra 4 inches in due to the move for the prosecutors AND they get a +1 save when they drop in turn 1 for some survivability.  Add that to the Celestial Vindicators ability to deploy the paladins 12" from the prosecutors and the fact you are a 1 drop army means you can decide who goes first and set your threat range appropriately.  

I realize this means 400 pts wrapped up in battalions, and that hurts.  This can also destroy well over 400 points in the first turn....  It's an interesting, if not min/max list.  Consider the following:

Retributors 440
Protectors 400
Prosecutors 100
Hammerstrike Force 220
Lord Celestant 100
Celestial Vindicators 180
Judicators 160
Judicators 160
Liberators 100
Lord Veritant 120

Hey you stormcast players. A guy I know is starting a stormcast army. He's got some models and is going to buy the GHB2017 ofc. He asked if he needed the battletomes. I said he'd need them for the prayers etc but I'm not sure wether he needs only the stormcast tome or the extremis tome too.. or wether there are other tomes :D

Archived