Let's chat Stormcast Eternals

Requizen

@PJetski List looks awesome! Glad it's been doing well for you. I think I might try to copy it pretty closely.

What do you think of the following changes: Drop Castellant and Protectors, add Relictor and Fulminators. I find foot Protectors to be pretty sub-par, and the Fulminators are much faster and more resilient, though they don't give out the debuff. More self-reliant though. The Relictor can take Bless Weapons and give your big block of Raptors even more powerful shooting half the time. 

Also, have you faced Tzeentch yet? Skyfires may give this a bad time, since they can do serious damage to the Longstrike unit while staying safe. Might need to take advantage of Scions?

@Glyph88 Welcome! I think a pure Vanguard list will do pretty well at 1500 depending on what you face. Ben Johnson ran pure Vanguard (maybe with a Venator?) at Adepticon and won both 1000 point events. You might lack some damage output against big targets like Stonehorns or Mournguls, but you should be able to play cagey enough to do some serious work.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aetherstrike is almost immune to melee damage between the birds and judicator screens followed by retaliation fire. The only weakness of Aetherstrike is other shooting lists, and that's what the Protectors and Castellant are there to stop. The Protectors give enemies -1 to shooting attacks, the Castellant gives a unit +1 save and takes the Lantern of the Tempest (enemies reroll hit6 in the shooting phase). Protectors and LC are included specifically to counter Tzeentch skyfires and hellcannons, which I view as the two biggest threats to this list.

Knight Azyros could take the lantern but you NEED mirrorshield on him to keep him alive as long as possible, since he enables your first battalion ability and also lets you reroll hit1.

Fulminators reduce the hit rolls of ONE unit, and you must be able to shoot that unit. Protectors reduce the hit rolls of ALL enemy units, and it doesn't require being in range of an enemy or activating an ability - this is very relevant if you go 2nd. Protectors cost 40 points less, have 5 more wounds, and come in a squad of 5 which is very useful for capturing objectives. Speed is not a factor - this list hunkers down and picks the enemy apart, teleporting units into play to capture objectives.

Lately I have been thinking that a Lord Veritant is a better choice for my list than a Castellant. They can both take the Lantern artifact. You lose the +1 save buff but gain a prayer - Lightning Chariot actually sounds pretty good for saving my raptors in a pinch or teleporting my Aetherwings to within 12" of an enemy so I can shoot them immediately even on the first turn. Bless Weapons is another good choice. LV is also 1 less deployment because you can set up a gryph hound at the same time.

hello fellow stormcast brothers. so i got a 2k event coming up and i was thinking of running this list, uses aetherstrike force, let me know what u think.

Heros:
Lord Relictor- Blessed wep
Knight-Azyros- phoenix stone/ lantern of the tempest
Knight Venator- general- champion of the realms- luck-stone for if star-faded arrow lands or save
Lord castellant- lantern of the tempest
Knight Heraldor- never ran him but looks to be fun. or swap him for another venator

Units:
Liberators x5 hammer/shield/grandhammer- lighting strike on objective or use to tie up enemy 
Liberators x5 hammer/shield/grandhammer- lighting strike on objective or use to tie up enemy 
Judes x5 - skybolt bows and shockbolt bow on prime
Judes x5 - skybolt bows and shockbolt bow on prime
Aetherwings x3 -
Aetherwings x3 -
Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows x3
Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows x6- Main damage dealing unit w/ blessed wep
Paladin Protectors x5 w/ 2 Maces, Ment to protect the Raptors. 
gryph hound x1 cus 40 point was left lol.

idea is to blessed Weapon the pack of 6 raptors and take out the big issue units 1st. other idea is to use lighting chariot on the Azyros 1st turn to get him on the opponents side 1st turn to get the free round of shooting from the 6 raptors, other then that use libs as needed via lighting strike and play to the mission. thoughts? im new but last two tournaments ive placed 6th and still hold 3rd place globally for SE in the ITC,

Aetherstrike is almost immune to melee damage between the birds and judicator screens followed by retaliation fire. The only weakness of Aetherstrike is other shooting lists, and that's what the Protectors and Castellant are there to stop. The Protectors give enemies -1 to shooting attacks, the Castellant gives a unit +1 save and takes the Lantern of the Tempest (enemies reroll hit6 in the shooting phase). Protectors and LC are included specifically to counter Tzeentch skyfires and hellcannons, which I view as the two biggest threats to this list.
Knight Azyros could take the lantern but you NEED mirrorshield on him to keep him alive as long as possible, since he enables your first battalion ability and also lets you reroll hit1.
Fulminators reduce the hit rolls of ONE unit, and you must be able to shoot that unit. Protectors reduce the hit rolls of ALL enemy units, and it doesn't require being in range of an enemy or activating an ability - this is very relevant if you go 2nd. Protectors cost 40 points less, have 5 more wounds, and come in a squad of 5 which is very useful for capturing objectives. Speed is not a factor - this list hunkers down and picks the enemy apart, teleporting units into play to capture objectives.
Lately I have been thinking that a Lord Veritant is a better choice for my list than a Castellant. They can both take the Lantern artifact. You lose the +1 save buff but gain a prayer - Lightning Chariot actually sounds pretty good for saving my raptors in a pinch or teleporting my Aetherwings to within 12" of an enemy so I can shoot them immediately even on the first turn. Bless Weapons is another good choice. LV is also 1 less deployment because you can set up a gryph hound at the same time.

Would you consider replacing the Heraldor over the Castellant? Or do you think tooting is too strong vs Sylvaneth to ignore?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

I've been thinking of test driving the following, if for no other reason than to get familiar with how the army pilots:

Azyros w/ Mirrorshield

Lord-Castellant w/ Lantern of the Tempest

Venator

Relictor w/ Chariot

Relictor w/ Chariot

5 Liberators

5 Protectors

3 Aetherwings

3 Aetherwings

3 Longstrikes

9 Longstrikes

5 Judicators

5 Judicators

Battalion

Pretty similar to all the netlists but I like the double Relictor. Chariot is a huge ability for the army, they can hold up chaff for a long time thanks to their Save, and their default Prayers are actually crazy good in this list. I wish there was room for one Gryph Hound but it only matters into 1-2 matchups so it's not a must have. Blessed Weapons are also good but needing that hard 3+ to rocket things around for the Battalion and Scenario is spooky. Probably requires play-testing on the amount of damage output required into some armies.

Unfortunately I don't own the SCE book (yet) so I'm working mostly off memory, Scrollbuilder.com, and what the crowd says and I'm sure I missed something wildly. :P

1 hour ago, Requizen said:

Would you consider replacing the Heraldor over the Castellant? Or do you think tooting is too strong vs Sylvaneth to ignore?

If I replace the Heraldor it would be to upgrade Hurricanes to Longstrikes, and then add a pair of gryph hounds or a Relictor or another squad of Liberators.

Heraldor is exceptional against Sylvaneth but that's not his only draw; he punishes enemies that try to hunker down in cover or behind buildings to avoid LOS. Mortal Wounds are always valuable

7 hours ago, PJetski said:

I love that Aetherstrike has become the new hotness. Gives me lots of hope for the SCE Battletome, as it certainly didn't jump out right away as amazing.

Speaking of which, is anyone running a Knights Excelsior List? As I start thinking about Liberator hordes, it is almost enough to have me get the extra bits to pull off the hammers and replace with the 'correct' insignia.

6 hours ago, Gauche said:

I've been thinking of test driving the following, if for no other reason than to get familiar with how the army pilots:

Azyros w/ Mirrorshield

Lord-Castellant w/ Lantern of the Tempest

Venator

Relictor w/ Chariot

Relictor w/ Chariot

5 Liberators

5 Protectors

3 Aetherwings

3 Aetherwings

3 Longstrikes

9 Longstrikes

5 Judicators

5 Judicators

Battalion

Pretty similar to all the netlists but I like the double Relictor. Chariot is a huge ability for the army, they can hold up chaff for a long time thanks to their Save, and their default Prayers are actually crazy good in this list. I wish there was room for one Gryph Hound but it only matters into 1-2 matchups so it's not a must have. Blessed Weapons are also good but needing that hard 3+ to rocket things around for the Battalion and Scenario is spooky. Probably requires play-testing on the amount of damage output required into some armies.

Unfortunately I don't own the SCE book (yet) so I'm working mostly off memory, Scrollbuilder.com, and what the crowd says and I'm sure I missed something wildly. :P

It seems you either roll with the  12 longstrikes  or 9 + a utility belt.

With the belt i Mean stuff like. Relictor +  2xgryph hounds

Or 2 relictors . 

Or a lord  veritant  + hound. Veritant's dispelling  Could be usefull? Although i guess  armies  that use a lot  of magic would  have significent  bonuses. But hey ! He's a priest.

Or heraldor  + hound.

I even  consider  a vexilor  as a possible option as it has no range  on it's  ability and it' garanteed to work. Albeit  only once.

1 hour ago, Caladancid said:

I love that Aetherstrike has become the new hotness. Gives me lots of hope for the SCE Battletome, as it certainly didn't jump out right away as amazing.

Speaking of which, is anyone running a Knights Excelsior List? As I start thinking about Liberator hordes, it is almost enough to have me get the extra bits to pull off the hammers and replace with the 'correct' insignia.

I actually ran with a knights exelxisor  list  recently. Friendly  games, not in a tournament  enviroment. Here's the list i used 

Lord celestant staunch defender + armor of silvered sigmarite

Lord-Castellant armor of silvered  sigmarite 

Lord-Relictor armor of  silvered  sigmarite

5x Retributors

5x protectors 

5x Decimators 

10 judicators 

2x5 liberators 

6 prosecutors 

2 tempestors 

Devastation + knights  exelsicor 

The pinning  fire  was actually  the most  usefull thing  in the list, when  you split  the shots of the judicators  you can slow  a lot  of units  down. The other  abilities  were  kinda meh. Only the reroll  saves  was usefull once or twice

That  said. I was going  against  the  New  bloodbound  with  goretide  and gore pilgrims. And about  20-30 skullreapers. 

On 17/04/2017 at 9:14 PM, PJetski said:

Deploy in a corner with Gryph Hounds

If they try deploying within 10" you get to shoot at them with your entire army, which means heavy losses. If they deploy outside of 10" they can't use their Warpfire shots because it's only 8" range.

I posted it a few pages back, but here is an updated version:

aetherstrike 2.0.png

Your actually wrong on clan skyre its actually worse

they appear in the hero phase then can move into range

the gyph hound only works in the setupphase

What would you guys think about running aetherstrike and an angelos conclave at 2k pts? Take 1 set of hurricane raptors and 1 long strike. Add an aqulior as your 3rd hero and use his ability to teleport the hurricane unit.

I'm thinking the 3 units of hunters coming out of pursuit together and flanking the enemy, getting thier double firing, along with the excellent shooting from aetherstrike would be pretty viscous.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, Fellclaw01 said:

Your actually wrong on clan skyre its actually worse

they appear in the hero phase then can move into range

the gyph hound only works in the setupphase

Deployment is key here. If you do it right you can't lose to Skryre setup.

Deploy liberators, heraldor, and protectors off the board so they can capture objectives.

Stormfiends only move 6" and shoot 8", giving them an effective threat range of 14". It's fine if they hit your front screen because you get that retaliation fire. As long as your longstrikes are out of range of the stormfiends you will win the game.

Its important to position your raptors within 5-6 inches of your gryph hounds so the Warning Cry roll is likely to catch your Longstrikes. The best way to do this is to put one longstrike in the top left corner as close to both hounds as possible (but outside of the 14" of stormfiends) and the rest as far back as possible.

Here's a drawing to show what I mean

wc.png

I mean, there's always chances it won't work. You could roll low on your Warning Cry, or they could just land outside of the radius, walk in, and get a double turn. 

It's probably safe to put a single Longstrike base 3" away from the hounds, since it's a 10" radius, plus the base size of the Hound, plus the 2" back distance should be >14" (Hounds are 32mm, right?), then you can only fail on snake eyes. 

The main downside of this is that you're shoved in a corner, with only a few units that can Scions out for objectives. Skyre isn't great at ranging the board and racking up points, but if you only can throw out the Heroes, Hurricanes, and Protectors to search for points, he might just get more than you. Even if your Longstrikes get to shoot them unmolested, that's still a lot of damage they need to do to, and it could be hard to do it if they just pop up on far away objectives and pile up points before you get in shooting range.

It's an interesting matchup. I'm going to the FLGS tomorrow, I think I'm going to pick up some Hurricanes and try this list out in our Saturday event if I can get in the hobby time to put things together.

Saying you can't lose is dishonest as you can get double turned and they will play for that. There's a lot of coin-flips in that matchup. It's very easy to avoid getting toasted on one turn, but two turns not so much. Not sure if that was the intent of the above post or not.

Competitive AoS is starting to get kind of P/R/S when you look at the matchups. Very strange to me.

So I am looking to expand my Stormcast some more. I haven't yet experimented with the vanguard or much of extreamis, was curious If you all could help. Typically I am a more narrative/fun gamer but with a more competitive scene building up I would like options to keep up. 

Currently have:

20 liberators (hammer and shield)

10 retributors (all hammers)

5 decimators (all axes)

12 prosecutor's 

10 judicators

Lord-Relictor

Star drake

Castellent and hound

Vexillor 

Venator

Questor 

Celestant (one on foot one on Dracoth)

4 hours ago, Gauche said:

Saying you can't lose is dishonest as you can get double turned and they will play for that. There's a lot of coin-flips in that matchup. It's very easy to avoid getting toasted on one turn, but two turns not so much. Not sure if that was the intent of the above post or not.

Competitive AoS is starting to get kind of P/R/S when you look at the matchups. Very strange to me.

If they go 2nd then you're free to snap up objectives on turn 1.

Alternatively you can deploy your whole army in reserve. The Skryre player is going to deploy their entire army in one drop and won't know your plan to deploy in reserve. You're relying on luck to win, but a 66% chance to deploy a unit is better than the 50% chance to double turn that the Skryre player is relying on :P

My point is that with the right deployment you should never lose to a Skryre turn 1 alpha strike

Grabbing Objectives Turn 1 is mostly useless in that type of matchup, putting your army in Reserve is the better idea. Unfortunately with that you're taking a lot of gambles and enter a weird part of the game where they can stay in Reserves too but with way, way more reliability than you. So yes, you can avoid the alpha strike but it's still a pretty bad matchup for the army. Probably not worth fretting about too much since that Skaven list appears to be really, really rare but I would say they have an advantage on you in any circumstance. Everything has its soft counters.

18 hours ago, PJetski said:

Deployment is key here. If you do it right you can't lose to Skryre setup.

Deploy liberators, heraldor, and protectors off the board so they can capture objectives.

Stormfiends only move 6" and shoot 8", giving them an effective threat range of 14". It's fine if they hit your front screen because you get that retaliation fire. As long as your longstrikes are out of range of the stormfiends you will win the game.

Its important to position your raptors within 5-6 inches of your gryph hounds so the Warning Cry roll is likely to catch your Longstrikes. The best way to do this is to put one longstrike in the top left corner as close to both hounds as possible (but outside of the 14" of stormfiends) and the rest as far back as possible.

Here's a drawing to show what I mean

wc.png

Stop getting me so excited for this  battalion, I know i'll never do it justice. 

29 minutes ago, Requizen said:

It happened last night. I put a unit of Judicators in Scions of the Storm, and they failed to come in. The chances of that happening are 1/243.

Sigmar whyyyyyy

I've totally come round to scions even with that risk. At my recent tournament I performed proprotionally worse the more I had on the board to start with.

Ofc that could be coincidental and related to the opponents I faced and the battleplans.

Still, Scions and shooty units are a big favourite for me at the moment. Judicators and Tempestors especially for some reason.

Oh, it's still a useful tool. I'm not going to stop using it, especially on as you said shooty units. 

The thing about our shooting units is that they're super effective against things they outrange (Handgunners or Hearthguard, for example), but against things that outrange us (Skyfires, Artillery), they'll die like punks. Scions gives them the chance to hit before they can be killed, which is obviously awesome. With Tzeenth and Free Peoples getting pretty popular recently, it's a tool we'll end up using quite often imo.

Archived