Let's chat Stormcast Eternals

Requizen

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really want to be able to use both the Drakesworn and LCoSD, but man the points are so high. It is hard to justify taking either one right now, and like you @Turragor I am hopeful these new traits will provide a benefit. The problem is, the models are nearly 100 points overcosted in my opinion, so those traits better be amazing haha.

I saw some earlier discussions about how this book would give us less options, that is not my impression at all. The addition of a new (potential) battleline unit is fantastic.

1 hour ago, Turragor said:

I found at my first tournament (admittedly I was way down the tables) that he was a great focus for the enemy and very durable. I think if I took a Castellant and then was also really into targetting hordes and just plain old retreating the big guy to save him, I wouldn't have lost him each battle ;)

To me that's the main thing. I found the LCoSD cool to play with, tough - not super strong - and actually much more flexible than that kind of big centrepiece usually is. But when the enemy brought him down it was 600 pts gone. And I always thought, "would 600pts of X have made more of a difference here?"

It's hard to know that but at the same time I think the changes we'll see might really be the simple tweaks we need to see more LCoSD's taken.

And if not, then I can for sure see someone taking a drakesworn templar and doing well.

I'm sure that there are ways to use him or at least a Drakesworn Templar even if not the optimum choice.

My main problem is different. I am a competitive player and I attend tourneys frequently. That said I own all the Realmgate Wars novels and I spend far more hours painting than playing. I love the narrative of the setting and I always get excited imagining my main character being a hero duelling the beasts and monsters of the enemy and fighting epic clashes with other enemy heroes.

But when the time comes for my Lord Celestant on Stardrake to shine it is so underwhelming that ruins my narrative fantasy feeling... :(

@Rhellion  I have no problem with us starting a new topic for the new book, although we haven't that many pages with past content.

The Celestant Prime is probably the most disappointing when comparing the narrative vs the actual game.  Sure, he can appear and wreck some face if you hold him back long enough but he usually only lasts one round as your opponent targets the ****** out of him.

14 minutes ago, chord said:

The Celestant Prime is probably the most disappointing when comparing the narrative vs the actual game.  Sure, he can appear and wreck some face if you hold him back long enough but he usually only lasts one round as your opponent targets the ****** out of him.

Agreed, he should either have more wounds or some sort of save against mortal wounds. I mean make him more expensive by all ways but give him the impact he deserves to have.

Just now, Turragor said:

Guys, guys, guys! You can't think this way!

If every representative from the lore was as depicted they would not lose and would almost never ever die! And if they died they'd probably come back during the same battle!

You say that like it would be a problem?

Anyone else seeing a lot of potential for the Hammerstrike Battalion as the new Alpha Strike go to? Deep Strike a 6 strong unit of Prosecutors with Javs, then auto teleport your two units of paladins onto the field inside of 9" of the enemy. Don't have the old or new book on me, but I think you just need one model in a bubble to be within range of the Prosecutors. Thoughts?

7 minutes ago, Cinncinnatus said:

Anyone else seeing a lot of potential for the Hammerstrike Battalion as the new Alpha Strike go to? Deep Strike a 6 strong unit of Prosecutors with Javs, then auto teleport your two units of paladins onto the field inside of 9" of the enemy. Don't have the old or new book on me, but I think you just need one model in a bubble to be within range of the Prosecutors. Thoughts?

Well this battalion hasn't changed much, the only difference (and it's actually a pretty big one) is that you can take any paladins instead of just retributors.

imo it has always been a strong battalion but it has just been overshadowed but other ways of getting your SC to teleport right into the enemy's face up until now.

41 minutes ago, ronin_cse said:

Well this battalion hasn't changed much, the only difference (and it's actually a pretty big one) is that you can take any paladins instead of just retributors.

imo it has always been a strong battalion but it has just been overshadowed but other ways of getting your SC to teleport right into the enemy's face up until now.

Agreed its been a good one all along

A review on dakkadakka leaked a battalion for chocobos+dracoths that had me drooling until I saw what was actually in it. Both mounted lords, 3 units of dracoths, 3 units of chocobos.

That's 1880 points counting the cost of the battalion and it doesn't make anything battleline. I understand it's still useful for narrative, open, or 2500+ points but come on man, tournament standard is 2000 points, you couldn't do something to make it usable at that level? Is it really that much more fluffy for them to not be battleline? Is 3 units of dracoths that much more in line with the narrative than 2? If both groups of cav was only minimum 2 you could still fit in battleline. Or make it 2-4 so that open play people can have a fluffy way to make a stormcast cav army without locking it out of tournaments.

34 minutes ago, BURF1 said:

A review on dakkadakka leaked a battalion for chocobos+dracoths that had me drooling until I saw what was actually in it. Both mounted lords, 3 units of dracoths, 3 units of chocobos.

That's 1880 points counting the cost of the battalion and it doesn't make anything battleline. I understand it's still useful for narrative, open, or 2500+ points but come on man, tournament standard is 2000 points, you couldn't do something to make it usable at that level? Is it really that much more fluffy for them to not be battleline? Is 3 units of dracoths that much more in line with the narrative than 2? If both groups of cav was only minimum 2 you could still fit in battleline. Or make it 2-4 so that open play people can have a fluffy way to make a stormcast cav army without locking it out of tournaments.

But doesn't it make you think "We should play bigger games (thus sell more models) so I can field this formation"

52 minutes ago, Shorewood said:

But doesn't it make you think "We should play bigger games (thus sell more models) so I can field this formation"

Or, not everything has to be based around "tournament standard".  Sorry if I sound extra snarky about this, it just... there's more to the game than 2000 point Matched Play/Pitched Battle style games.  Not everything has to fit into that narrow segment of the game.

1 hour ago, wayniac said:

Or, not everything has to be based around "tournament standard".  Sorry if I sound extra snarky about this, it just... there's more to the game than 2000 point Matched Play/Pitched Battle style games.  Not everything has to fit into that narrow segment of the game.

Not everything needs to be for matched play sure, but why deliberately exclude things when you don't really have to? It's not like these things aren't usable in open play and it's not like this formation gains anything narrative wise or in an open play environment by being too large to use in standard 2000 point matched play by a measly 180 points.

7 hours ago, BURF1 said:

Not everything needs to be for matched play sure, but why deliberately exclude things when you don't really have to? It's not like these things aren't usable in open play and it's not like this formation gains anything narrative wise or in an open play environment by being too large to use in standard 2000 point matched play by a measly 180 points.

What had you drooling, the imagery? Why not use most of the models or all the models minus the formation. It's not all about matched play.. it's not as if there's a shortage of options.

50 minutes ago, Marc Wilson said:

What had you drooling, the imagery? Why not use most of the models or all the models minus the formation. It's not all about matched play.. it's not as if there's a shortage of options.

The rules and the opportunity to run the army I would most enjoy from a model/gameplay perspective in a way that is more efficient than just using them without any battalion. If I could fit the battalion in it would unlock useful bonus rules(using both Hero abilities would be quite good) as well as additional relics. Yes I could probably just run 4 fulminators and 6 chocobos and be perfectly fine but having a battalion for them would have been nice. 

17 hours ago, chord said:

Main reason ive stopped using him. To make him good he stays off the table for too long. I'd rather have a unit of protectors and another hero for the points he is.

I agree with most others here, feel it's a real shame the Prime didn't get a price cut, 360 pts for something that most of the time don't effect the battlefield until turn 3 is to much, especially in an army where you really need the pts to squeeze in more bodies for objectives.  Same goes for the Star Drakes I think, the mount traits still don't really makes them viable enough in matched play. Which is a shame as the models are gorgeous. 

But I like that the new book is making it more interesting building Stormcast lists again, everyone taking the Warrior Brotherhood was a bit dull and I hope we get more varied lists in the future. 

1 hour ago, Turragor said:

Is it just me that thinks he's pretty decently priced?

He is a dangerous model even without the attack boost from delayed start.

A few of the new treats in the tome will affect him too (he's a stormcast unit) - think prayers and the new buffs.

I'm right there with you - he's my favourite unit in the entire game, I think. He's so versatile and no one else has a unit like him. Even when he's not on the field, he is affecting the game, so to think otherwise is missing the point I think. Very nicely priced considering all that he offers.

Edit: Just to add that he's also safe when he's off the board. Any other big monster or target starting on the board can get hit right off the bat. 

Archived