First AOS game ever, preparing the backpack!

I have looked at a lot of the newbie guides and they all go into the basics of army selection, assembly, painting.  I am looking for a different kind of checklist.  What do I bring with me to my "first game" (I used to play tournaments 20 years ago)   

I will have a full 2000 point list (and several 1000 point lists) ready.   I like to play fully painted, so I am probably a lot more familiar with my army than most new players.

Here's what I know so far, from playing other tabletop games.

-  The army lists and the painted army

- Warscrolls for my army (mostly pre-fashioned cards, will print a few warscrolls)

- A lot of six sided dice

- Custom made faction cycle template (maybe)

- Measuring tape

- Various 1", 2" measuring gadgets, movement trays

- Various plastic tokens that I can mark with wet erase marker.  

- Battletome (?)  might not be needed if I write down the artifacts and spells.

I am assuming my opponent will know enough rules that I don't need to bring the 4 page rulebook, but I will have a cheat sheet for all the rules I want to use but think I might forget.

Am I missing something critical?  

You look good to go!

I'd bring the Battletome anyway, it's good form to have it on hand just in case your opponent isn't familiar with your army. As for the core rules, you can always pull it up on your phone if need be (personally, I like to have a hard copy on hand, but that's hardly a necessity :) ).

I’d go ahead and suggest a bottle of water and granola bar; can’t fight the good fight if you pass out halfway through the match!

also, movement trays aren’t as necessary in AoS as they were in fantasy, at least in regards to ranking blocks of infantry. That’s one great thing about the round bases!!

I will be playing one large horde (35 models), but I'll be sure to check how the tray looks and feels with the round bases.  

4-page, will print that out, check!

GHB17, check!

Pen for notes (I can use the army list for paper), check!

Wound markers, I have some of these that go up to 10 wounds.  My largest models go up to 8 wounds, so good here too.  Check!

Not sure what Objective markers should look like. 

Points tracker came with the warscrolls, check!

Snacks, I buy those at the store to support the business, check!

I would recommend bringing the battletome anyway since it's not that big. 

Movement trays are nice if you have several large units. I play against a shaven player who has 100 clan rats on movement trays until they have to pile in. They do speed things up but there are quite a few situations where you would want a large unit to be spread out or in a strange formation for board control.

If I am supplying the objective markers then I usually use some of the unusual dice I have or tokens that I'm not using. For example, I have the khorne wars roll cards and tokens so if im not playing as khorne I will use the bloodtithe tokens as objectives or I use my bloodbowl dice. Pretty much anything that is distinct and won't get accidentally picked up will work.

12 hours ago, Paladin of Khorne said:

I’d go ahead and suggest a bottle of water and granola bar; can’t fight the good fight if you pass out halfway through the match!

This (though I tend to steer towards a Boost chocolate bar if it's not too hot or a bag of Jelly Babies).  Can't emphasise enough to keep hydrated. else you end up with a nasty headache that is next to impossible to shift!

Packed and ready to go, except for my army which I am flocking now.   Thanks everyone for the help!  I might not arrive looking like the noobiest of noobs.  Just a few hours before I lay waste to the opposition!  

9 hours ago, grungolah said:

Packed and ready to go, except for my army which I am flocking now.   Thanks everyone for the help!  I might not arrive looking like the noobiest of noobs.  Just a few hours before I lay waste to the opposition!  

Have fun! (that's the number one rule)

Archived