Legions of nagash units, best to worst

Dracothjay

Hi guys, big death player here. But what I want this post to be about is what YOUR opinion is on our best units, scaling down to our worst units. Reason being is I think it’s great to vote or recommend units that other people overlook, would surely help me understand units I’ve never used!

id say make a top 5 list, but hell, make it a top 10 list if you want!! I say units, exclude heros, we all know who’s best and not so good within death heros lol!

my top 5:

1) vargheist - super fast, aggressive and hit like a truck.  Can have extra attacks from command abilities and also from nightfall battalion 

2) morghast - now more viable than ever due to certain legions allowing you to ambush (harbingers with spirit halberds) from legion of night. Also grand host of nagash openly buffing your morghast units with 1 extra attack just for taking them! Take a hero with a +1 attack command ability and your morghast just got more deadly. I’d say harbingers win it for me, 3D6 charges out of ambush is just unreal.

3) spirit host - not a lot has changed with them, only being that we now can never benefit from better save throws. But I think they’re a very efficient unit. They won’t win you games alone, but with a consistent 4+ save, they are a solid tarpit, buying you enough time for your hammer support units to come in and blow your enemy away. Also, surprising how many mortal wounds over a whole game you do inflict with a unit of 6. 

4) dire wolves - amazing battleline choice. 60 pts for a unit of 5 is amazing. They out perform skeletons at lower numbers, but as we scale up to larger units, skellies will win. A unit of 10 dogs is extremely annoying for your opponent as they don’t shift easy, especially if in cover and mystic shield on them. Also to note, they pump out quite a high volume of attacks in units of 10, also slightly better on the charge. This position was a toss up between skellies and wolves, but as wolves are fast, cheap and moderate at dealing damage, I gave th the position.

*insert skeleton warriors here*

5)  terrorgheist - this beast is brilliant, especially in legion of night. Have this badass come in off the ambush, synergise with bravery debuffing traits, spells and banners to a target enemy unit and watch it’s scream chip away the enemy. Yes, it’s combat potential isn’t always garaunteed, but when it works it works very well!!!!

My top pick for legion- LEGION OF NIGHT. Ambush is huge for me, allowing my hammers to stay hidden. Also, THE BAIT passive ability giving skeleton units a free +1 to their save is nice. Can make a skeleton horde quite table with mystic shield on them also.

thanks guys, would be interested to see your favourite units in best to worst order and a brief explanation!

I would switch the Vargheist for the VLoZD. Easily one of the most flexible units we have and one of the hardest hitting in the entire battletome.

As for worst units I'd say the Wight kings and the Black Coach are definitely top contenders lol. Grave guard and Varghs would be up there for me too, in theory an upgrade from other units available but too squishy to justify their point cost. Although they still have some niche uses so I guess there's that.

3 minutes ago, Silverline said:

Where do Blood Knights figure on the list? I've only managed a handful of games of AoS, so my ability to read relative strengths isn't up to scratch

They are decently efficient in LoB but are utterly dependent on charging to be so. In other legions they are quite subpar. Regardless, though, they are behind black knights in efficiency relative to pts.

Yeah I don’t think I’ll really ever want to field blood knights. They’re so point heavy and outside of their charge they go back to being basic. Black knights for points are a lot more affordable and can get some great synergies benefits. Plus they are SUMMONABLE so can heal them.

3 hours ago, smucreo said:

Really? I'd wager Spirit Hosts are way better than Hexwraiths in terms of point efficiency.

Double the speed and easier to heal for starters. In melee they have less of a chance for mortal wounds (11 vs. 18 attacks), but the attacks they have are much higher quality, then you get 10 extra attacks from the horses on top of that. But the mortal wounds they miss out on in melee are made up for by those they dish out while moving (can even be done while running and retreating, which is pretty great).

If I have the 40 points, I will take hexwraiths every time.

43 minutes ago, Josh said:

winners;

- arkhan

- wraiths

-spirit hosts

- dire wolves

- necromancers

Losers;

- anything without summoning keyword:P, minus morghast 

Wraiths seem a bit out of place? Am I missing something? They are pretty inefficient points wise and are slow? They also hit like wet noodles and are pretty squishy. 

I posted this in another thread previously but I think it still works here.

Here's an example: Legions of Nagash Unit Tier List

Hammer

T1. 40 Skeletons, VLoZD, Nagash, Blood Knights, Prince Vhordrai 

T2. Morghast Harbinger with the halberd. Mortarchs - Neferata, Mannfred,.  Morghasts Archai. Terrorgheist / Zombie Dragon

T3. Grave Guard, Hexwraiths,  Bloodseeker Palanquin, Vargheists, Spirit Hosts, Arkahn

(If Mourngul becomes legal again, probably T1 or T2)

Anvil

T1. 40 Skeletons, X Dire Wolves, 30+ Zombies

T2. Spirit Hosts, Hexwraiths, Black Knights

T3. Bat Swarms, Grave Guard

Support

T1. Necromancer, (Lords of Sacrament Battalion) & (Balewind Vortex if using LoS battalaion)

T2. Mortis Engine, Vampire Lord, Coven Throne, Corpse Cart, (The First Cohort Battalion)

T3. Wight King, Tomb Banshee, Cairn Wraith

Well, a lot of things up there are true, some I don‘t really see or have experience with...

the blood knights for example, I don‘t see in T1 anymore. Without Soulblight bloodline rules and the banner, they are only good the moment they complete their charge and wipe the unit out. After that for 260 points...I prefer the harbringer halberd combination 

neffi as a hammer, not quite sure she is on par with Manfred and while arkhan is no use at all hammering, I kinda miss him on T1 support (knows all spells, +6“ reach...CoY )

and of course, the best list is useless, if i‘m fielding it (wrong) and your opponent is Sun Tzu

5 hours ago, themortalgod said:

Wraiths seem a bit out of place? Am I missing something? They are pretty inefficient points wise and are slow? They also hit like wet noodles and are pretty squishy. 

60 points for death save, ignore rend, fly, great for hacking down squishy stuff (re roll hits if unit has 5 or more) 3 atk @ 2 damage, 6's are 2 mortal wounds

imo they are awesome

Think this is my list of winners so far

1. Zombies( but have to be in a big unit and buffed up ) can be annoying to deal with and tie down big heroes

2. Grave guard

3. Skeletons

4. Black knights

5. Dire wolves

12 hours ago, themortalgod said:

for 180 pts, 3 of those guys is 12 wound, 4+ save ignoring rend with a 6+ invulnerable save, and 9 attacks  4+/3+/-1/2 dmg with reroll to hit against units of +5 models and 2 mortal wounds on a 6 to hit.

It's not that bad. Heroes that are actually good in pure killing power for their point cost (and wraith are dirt cheap) is rare. They become really efficient with knight of shrouds

10 minutes ago, Pawiak said:

Could you elaborate on his legality?

Or is it just illegal in Legions, but legal in Nighthaunt?

Mourngul isn't legal in a Legions of Nagash list, he's missing the keyword.

He's still good to go in old Death GA or pure Nighthaunt.

4 minutes ago, Bradifer said:

Mourngul isn't legal in a Legions of Nagash list, he's missing the keyword.

He's still good to go in old Death GA or pure Nighthaunt.

Thanks alot! For a moment there i thought i wont be able to play him in pure Nighthaunt :)

My top five (heroes excluded);

1) Skeletons - Very points efficient, can take a lot of damage and can also deal som damage back with the right support

2) Dire wolves - Very points efficient, fast, cheap screens are golden

3) Spirit hosts - Can deal with things that the skeletons can not touch, thanks to mortal wounds. Always look for Damned terrain. 

4) Grave guard (only in blocks of 30) - A little bit overpriced I think, but good in a big block and with the right support (Lord of Nagashizzar, Van hels)

5) Morghasts with halberds - Deals a lot of damage, but can fel slow and squishy at times.

The above list is from my very limited experience, and mostly theoryhammer!

/ JOB

Archived