New to AOS and where do I begin?

SanMan

I tried to find previous threads before asking, and couldn't,  so I apologize if this is old hash for most of you.

I have just jumped into the game and bought large Eternals, Seraphon, Fyreslayers, Khorne, and Ironjawz armies.

I have the GHB17 but I can't find allegiance benefits for Eternals.  Where do I find those and what other books do I need to get so my family of 4 can really get into this?

I have the original GHB coming in the mail.  

My boys and I play many different games, but this is the first mini game my wife is really into. We are listening to the audio books and are really enjoying the fluff of the world.

Thank you so much for helping a noob!  

6 hours ago, flemingmma said:

The battletomes for each faction (similar to 40k codexes) have alot of that stuff in them.

Yep, all of the factions you listed have their own Battletome, although I think some of the older ones like Fyreslayers and Seraphon came out before allegiance abilities were a thing, so for those older factions the allegiance abilities will be in one of the General's Handbooks. Be careful if you're looking to buy the Stormcast or Khorne battletomes because they both have newer versions and older versions that are now outdated.

And you probably know this already, but you should download the free AoS app, which will give you access to every warscroll and various other premium features too if you want them. Another good resource is Warscroll Builder on the Warhammer Community site, which I find is the quickest and easiest way to create army lists.

If it's just casual play between you and your family I'd recommend skipping allegiance abilities all together since you're starting out.  They add a lot more overhead to the table.  I'd say use battle plans in the GHB's, and stick with war scrolls only for now.   Since it's family if one person is getting stomped it should be easy to say and 2 units of X show up as reinforcements, etc.

Don't sweat the matched play rules a ton, keep it light and once you get more used to the flow you can move your family into more matched play type play if desired.

On 14-2-2018 at 4:12 AM, SanMan said:

I have the GHB17 but I can't find allegiance benefits for Eternals.  Where do I find those and what other books do I need to get so my family of 4 can really get into this?

I have the original GHB coming in the mail.  

My boys and I play many different games, but this is the first mini game my wife is really into. We are listening to the audio books and are really enjoying the fluff of the world.

Excellent start!

Well as the others have said, you probably want to get Battletome: Stomcast Eternals (newest one), Blades of Khorne, Fyreslayers and Ironjawz, or the Warscroll cards... That's up to you really. These contain some great stories too. 

Cool to have your boys listen to the audio books, there are some gruesome moments in there but hey, the older they are, the less of an issue that will become.

Have fun! Cheers,

I am in similar situation (buying couple armies, for casual playing with family for now) and I was asking myself similar questions recently. This topic answers most of them, but I'm not sure about couple of things regarding General's Handbook and rules updates. 

I understand that I need to buy battletomes for the armies I want, I can get the rules in pdf, and I need to check some FAQs/erratas to check latest updates (please correct me if I've missed anything).

1. For rules updates - is that page https://www.warhammer-community.com/faqs/ all I need to look at? Or is there anything else?
2. General's Handbook - I have not ordered it yet. Should I get just the latest one? Is it completely overwriting 2016 version? Or does it makes sense to get both?
3. What else would you recommend to add? I've seen good opinions on Path to Glory, and it seems a good way of introducing people to the game - with smaller force to work with it should be easier to get a grasp on it, and it's less painting for the start. Am I correct here? 

Thanks in advance.

26 minutes ago, Niedzwiedz said:

1. For rules updates - is that page https://www.warhammer-community.com/faqs/ all I need to look at? Or is there anything else?

No just keep an eye on the FAQs. They cycle they want to do at the moment for FAQs is an FAQ just after a new Battletome has been released to capture anything odd or misworded. This is then followed by two FAQ releases for everything (one around March and one around September). 

29 minutes ago, Niedzwiedz said:

2. General's Handbook - I have not ordered it yet. Should I get just the latest one? Is it completely overwriting 2016 version? Or does it makes sense to get both?

You just need the latest one if you want to use any of the allegiance abilities or use the points for Match Play (or anything else in the book). The old 2016 book is only useful if you want to use the scenarios or refer to the old points for the classic models, but if you want to use the latest version which everybody else will be using, just use the current one.

31 minutes ago, Niedzwiedz said:

3. What else would you recommend to add? I've seen good opinions on Path to Glory, and it seems a good way of introducing people to the game - with smaller force to work with it should be easier to get a grasp on it, and it's less painting for the start. Am I correct here? 

All down to you and how you want to play. I mostly play match play so don't really touch the other methods (which is a shame but I struggle to find time to do match play!!!). So if your gaming group want to do the other ways of playing, do it. But you are right Path to Glory is less painting but you can easily do this with match play by doing lower points.

58 minutes ago, Niedzwiedz said:

I am in similar situation (buying couple armies, for casual playing with family for now) and I was asking myself similar questions recently. This topic answers most of them, but I'm not sure about couple of things regarding General's Handbook and rules updates. 

I understand that I need to buy battletomes for the armies I want, I can get the rules in pdf, and I need to check some FAQs/erratas to check latest updates (please correct me if I've missed anything).

Thanks in advance.

I recommend AoS Skirmish before jumping into Path to Glory. Skirmish is only $10 and you start off with 1 hero and 2 other guys. It has a 6 scenario campaign and should lead you into a Path to Glory campaign. It's a lot of fun and the smallest model count to get into playing AoS!

I have both Generals Handbooks. I prefer the scenarios in the first one. It also has the Path to Glory rules but less scenarios and stuff for it. 

1 hour ago, Niedzwiedz said:

Path to glory is great as an introduction! And indeed less painting. Although.... depends how you play it. I would personally allow people to choose or re-roll because otherwise you will have to add new units between games. So if you don't already have that unit.... you might have to paint them. But it's very easy to house rule. Just role for the units you have available and you will have the same amount of fun. 

Bonus point for Path to Glory if you like the narrative side of things. 

1 hour ago, Niedzwiedz said:

Don't get the original yet. It's mostly added value for the extra scenario's but you will have more than enough to start out with if you get the 2017 version. (including up to date points and all the rules.)

Archived