• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's been an increasing amount of non-pestilens Skaven showing up across articles, books, and malign portents stories. I can't help but think that means something.

Looking forward to the skaven guide on warhammer live ;) Should prove.. enlightening.

2 hours ago, Mayple said:

There's been an increasing amount of non-pestilens Skaven showing up across articles, books, and malign portents stories. I can't help but think that means something.

Looking forward to the skaven guide on warhammer live ;) Should prove.. enlightening.

Maybe there will be a skaven uprising.

we will give you battle yes-Yes

On 5/28/2018 at 1:18 AM, Mayple said:

Alright! Here goes:

Tournament statistics:

1: Duality of death (vs Tzeentch) - Major Victory (Killed his heroes before he could score)

2. Battle for the pass (vs Seraphon) - Major Victory (12-6)

3. Starfall (vs Seraphon) - Major Victory (26-24)

4. Scorched Earth (vs Sylvaneth) - Minor Loss (We were tied, so loss on killpoints. Oversight on my part)

My list:

Warlord (General) - Dark Avenger - Crown of Conquest

Plague Priest w/Plague Censer

40x Clanrats

20x Clanrats

20x Clanrats

20x Gutter Runners

5x Gutter Runners

5x Gutter runners

5x Skryre Acolytes

[....]

Great result! It's nice to see non skryre competing well! Also a Warlord in a list is impressive!

Quick Quick question everyone! Does anyone have the old metal Thanquol and a new big *ss plastic model, and would be willing to take a quick comparison pic?

I'm almost done with my Skaven backlog and am saving the old metal Thanquol and Boneripper as the cherry on the cake. I have a conversion in mind to give it bit more height and presence but I would love to get a bit of sense of the scale difference. I'm really excited to add him to my army for that extra save on my stormvermin (and have a truly conniving leader of course ;) )

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

Quick Quick question everyone! Does anyone have the old metal Thanquol and a new big *ss plastic model, and would be willing to take a quick comparison pic?

I'm almost done with my Skaven backlog and am saving the old metal Thanquol and Boneripper as the cherry on the cake. I have a conversion in mind to give it bit more height and presence but I would love to get a bit of sense of the scale difference. I'm really excited to add him to my army for that extra save on my stormvermin (and have a truly conniving leader of course ;) )

The new thanquol and boneripper model is comparable in size to a Verminlord, if that tells you anything.

17 minutes ago, Mayple said:

The new thanquol and boneripper model is comparable in size to a Verminlord, if that tells you anything.

Really? I thought he would be much taller! Thanks. Great news now I feel better about not scaling up my original concept ?

9 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Really? I thought he would be much taller! Thanks. Great news now I feel better about not scaling up my original concept ?

For safeties: the current Verminlords, not the old metal ones :)

Speaking of Thanquol- does anyone have a line on where to get hold of him as bits? I have the End Times kit with him on Boneripper but, thinking I would never actually field him, took a pair of clippers to him to help convert an Arch-Warlock. Now I'm desperately regretting this decision, but a trawl of the most prominent bits websites has proven fruitless.

Can any of you wise Grey Seers help-help?

2 hours ago, Kirjava13 said:

Speaking of Thanquol- does anyone have a line on where to get hold of him as bits? I have the End Times kit with him on Boneripper but, thinking I would never actually field him, took a pair of clippers to him to help convert an Arch-Warlock. Now I'm desperately regretting this decision, but a trawl of the most prominent bits websites has proven fruitless.

Can any of you wise Grey Seers help-help?

I kind of did the same thing, except I made him a warlord. And I cannibalized Boneripper for parts.

Might get away with putting a regular screaming bell Grey Seer on top of boneripper in place of Thanquol? Could be worth a try.

52 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Say does anybody know what kind of units Adam from the Warhammer Community took into his skaven army yesterday?

(and is this usual that somebody watching a video from Gw on twitch has to pay money?)

I didn't watch the game yet but the list was (if I recall correctly):

verminlord deceiver general - cunning deceiver, chaos runeblade

warpgnaw verminlord

Thanquol and boneripper

3*20 clanrats with blades

40 stormvermins

Twitch videos are free if watches live. For recordings you need to subscribe. If you happen to have an amazon prime account, you can link it to your twitch account and get one subscription free. I use this to subscribe tobwarhammer TV.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Num said:

I didn't watch the game yet but the list was (if I recall correctly):

verminlord deceiver general - cunning deceiver, chaos runeblade

warpgnaw verminlord

Thanquol and boneripper

3*20 clanrats with blades

40 stormvermins

Twitch videos are free if watches live. For recordings you need to subscribe. If you happen to have an amazon prime account, you can link it to your twitch account and get one subscription free. I use this to subscribe tobwarhammer TV.

Cheers

You do recall correctly ;) 

yes, it was, as he discribed it, a hit and miss list. He teleported thanquol with the Eshin verminlord on turn one and two to burn most of the death players heroes. As it was a scenario where heroes could score points, it put the death player on the back foot from the start. 

The warpgnaw verminlord was used to get the 40 storm vermin in on turn one. Seriously collapsing that one flank. The 3 units of clan rats were cleverly used to pin units or block spaces. 

Had some great tactical play by the skaven player but looked a bit hit or miss to me. But also great fun 

On 6/2/2018 at 2:34 PM, Mayple said:

@Num I think so too. I'm a little concerned that we might have the wording changed to 'wholly within 13/18' which will mess up some of my sneakier on-the-spot tricks, which wouldn't work anymore if that happened.

Used it at the tournament as a last resort; had a unit of clanrats conga-lined back towards my warlord to gain the 'dark avenger' buff - most of the ones in combat had piled in completely, so I started removing all the rats forming the line as casualties, leaving a, single clanrat standing next to the warlord, breaking cohesion. Can't do any pile-in moves at that point, but everything in the fight was already in position, so when I got my next turn, the warlord shouted gnash-gnaw orders at the rear, brave clanrat, who relayed the order to the rest of the unit 20 inches up the board.

It was very thematic and funny. I will be sad to see it go :(

Say do you maybe know how many points where used and how many command points Adam had at the beginning.

(I’m trying to figure out what units he was using, got a point reduction)

27 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Say do you maybe know how many points where used and how many command points Adam had at the beginning.

(I’m trying to figure out what units he was using, got a point reduction)

Was old rules still. Next week as well I think after that new rules if I interpreted the hints by Ceri correctly 

5 minutes ago, Reeve said:

So considering the Clanrats I own I was planning running 2 units of 20 Clanrats (blades), 1 unit of 40 Clanrats  (spears). How does that sound as a plan? 

Works in 1000 points games. In 2000 pts you're going to want to invest in either boosting both of the 20-rat units up to 40, or adding another unit of 40 spear-rats, using the two 20-rat units as screens. 

Or be crazy like us and go 4x40 ;)

At the end of the day, it really depends on what else you're bringing. Good comparisons for the same point value are Gutter Runners (20 for 200) and Giant Rats (40 for 200) - Our advantage lies in the amount of bodies we can bring to the field, so you'll always want to have some kind of numerical advantage. 

What else are you planning/able to bring? 

29 minutes ago, Mayple said:

Works in 1000 points games. In 2000 pts you're going to want to invest in either boosting both of the 20-rat units up to 40, or adding another unit of 40 spear-rats, using the two 20-rat units as screens. 

Or be crazy like us and go 4x40 ;)

At the end of the day, it really depends on what else you're bringing. Good comparisons for the same point value are Gutter Runners (20 for 200) and Giant Rats (40 for 200) - Our advantage lies in the amount of bodies we can bring to the field, so you'll always want to have some kind of numerical advantage. 

What else are you planning/able to bring? 

My focus is on 1k games since that's what my playgroup can muster atm. I have a 1k Skryre list so I've got plenty of toys I can bring over from there. I'm also planning on finishing up my Stormvermin, so I have 20 of those. In that case, I'd only have room for a single Warp Lightning Cannon. Which does nicely fill a niche in the mortal wound department.  With the second edition, I could also go for a Grey Seer +Mortar/Acolytes. 

22 minutes ago, Reeve said:

My focus is on 1k games since that's what my playgroup can muster atm. I have a 1k Skryre list so I've got plenty of toys I can bring over from there. I'm also planning on finishing up my Stormvermin, so I have 20 of those. In that case, I'd only have room for a single Warp Lightning Cannon. Which does nicely fill a niche in the mortal wound department.  With the second edition, I could also go for a Grey Seer +Mortar/Acolytes. 

Ah! Well then you're definitely good with 20 + 20 + 40 clanrats. 20 Stormvermin should also do fine at that point range, but don't be afraid of splitting it up into two units of 10 Stormvermin. Having more units to send around against objectives, and mitigating incoming damage by having smaller units (Since you're going to lose a lot of rats to battleshock anyway) is a very notable advantage in 1000 pts ;) I'm assuming you were gonna do it anyway, but a Warlord makes your clanrats a lot more killy; slap a "gnash-gnaw of their bones" on the healthiest clanrat unit you have, and charge them in there. They'll do good damage, and you won't really care what happens to them after that, since they're clanrats.

Gutter runners are a great addition at any unit strength (5/20) because they allow you to control the flow of the game. They work well by themselves, and are sort of like mini-Stormvermin with less armour. 

Happy swarming! :D

6 hours ago, Mayple said:

Ah! Well then you're definitely good with 20 + 20 + 40 clanrats. 20 Stormvermin should also do fine at that point range, but don't be afraid of splitting it up into two units of 10 Stormvermin. Having more units to send around against objectives, and mitigating incoming damage by having smaller units (Since you're going to lose a lot of rats to battleshock anyway) is a very notable advantage in 1000 pts ;) I'm assuming you were gonna do it anyway, but a Warlord makes your clanrats a lot more killy; slap a "gnash-gnaw of their bones" on the healthiest clanrat unit you have, and charge them in there. They'll do good damage, and you won't really care what happens to them after that, since they're clanrats.

Gutter runners are a great addition at any unit strength (5/20) because they allow you to control the flow of the game. They work well by themselves, and are sort of like mini-Stormvermin with less armour. 

Happy swarming! :D

Thanks! Now I just have to find suitable Gutter Runner models... Has anyone tried the Blood Bowl Gutter Runners? Alternatively, the shadespire team might also be a decent filler 

3 minutes ago, Reeve said:

Thanks! Now I just have to find suitable Gutter Runner models... Has anyone tried the Blood Bowl Gutter Runners? Alternatively, the shadespire team might also be a decent filler 

The blood bowl gutter runners are very decent. The ones with the flowing cloak is spot on, and if you replace one of their arms with a plague monk sword-arm, you get a very decent dual-wielding ninja rat. 

Speaking of plague monks; with the right choice of heads, and black-coloured cloaks, they can work pretty well as stand-in gutter runners. Heck, with a little conversion work (hand weapons from clanrats, and the remaining heads from the blood bowl team (great quality on those) ) you could make them full-fledged gutter runners by their own right :) Probably the cheapest route if you're going to use more than 10 gutter runners in total ;) Either way, best of luck. 

28 minutes ago, Reeve said:

Dont forget you can use 3 out of the 5 models of spiteclaw's swarm as gutter runners with some slight conversion work. Not as money efficient, but it is an option! ^^

It is time GW gives us some Skaven toys already. I'm getting warp-starved here! Filthy man-things. Every release should be a Skaven release. Gone with Stormcast poster boys! Give us Skaven poster rats!

10 hours ago, Mayple said:

The blood bowl gutter runners are very decent. The ones with the flowing cloak is spot on, and if you replace one of their arms with a plague monk sword-arm, you get a very decent dual-wielding ninja rat. 

Speaking of plague monks; with the right choice of heads, and black-coloured cloaks, they can work pretty well as stand-in gutter runners. Heck, with a little conversion work (hand weapons from clanrats, and the remaining heads from the blood bowl team (great quality on those) ) you could make them full-fledged gutter runners by their own right :) Probably the cheapest route if you're going to use more than 10 gutter runners in total ;) Either way, best of luck. 

10 hours ago, Kugane said:

Dont forget you can use 3 out of the 5 models of spiteclaw's swarm as gutter runners with some slight conversion work. Not as money efficient, but it is an option! ^^

It is time GW gives us some Skaven toys already. I'm getting warp-starved here! Filthy man-things. Every release should be a Skaven release. Gone with Stormcast poster boys! Give us Skaven poster rats!

I was thinking of getting 3 Plastic gutter runners from the set and the Blood Bowl booster pack which has 2 more. Gives me a decent variety in poses. Just need to source some clan rats weapon arms for some swaps. I have thought about the Shadespire team, but since they don't have cloaks their silhouette is quite different.

And Skaven definitely needs new miniatures to replace some of the ancient metal stuff still around. Acolytes, Jezzails, Censer Bearers, Gutter Runners, Night Runners spring to mind. I've had some decent success with building my own Acolytes but it's not feasible for larger units. However, the chances of getting replacement sculpts are fairly low in my opinion. They'd rather release new stuff than replace the old stuff. 

Archived