Darkling Covens Allies for DoK

LordKalebKhaine

Hi all!
My girlfriend is looking to get into Warhammer with a Daughters of Khaine army.
We bought the box set for them, but we're holding off on buying more till the army release comes out (soon hopefully, it would seem!)
In the mean time I wanted your guy's suggestions on what we should include as allies from Darkling Covens.
For 200 points I think a sorceress and some darkshards would be good.
For 400 I figure just add some executioners.

What do you guys think? 

I would honestly wait for the book. We have no idea yet what the strengths and weaknesses of DoK as a whole is going to be, and until we know that, all thoughts and ideas is just going to be speculation. If DoK gets a decent source of MWs, for example, Executioners is moot.

If you really want to get something, get a sorceress on dragon. She'll at least bring a unique centerpiece regardless of rules and stats.

20 hours ago, Payce said:

I would honestly wait for the book. We have no idea yet what the strengths and weaknesses of DoK as a whole is going to be, and until we know that, all thoughts and ideas is just going to be speculation. If DoK gets a decent source of MWs, for example, Executioners is moot.

If you really want to get something, get a sorceress on dragon. She'll at least bring a unique centerpiece regardless of rules and stats.

Honestly DoK have a solid mortal wound source for hordes at least, those blood wrack shrines demolish units, that's why I run 3 of them :P

I would say it is almost certain war scrolls will get some tweaking and I feel like some of the new units will have some form of MW too, exciting times ahead!

10 hours ago, DioRa said:

I do like the idea of adding a pair of Hydras as allies. Exactly 400 pts and a hydra oozes greek mythology! Not to mention it's something tanky, that doesn't get killed by an angry stare.

Hydras look great from the neck down, but the heads make them look educationally subnormal.

On 27/01/2018 at 6:33 PM, LordKalebKhaine said:

Hi all!
My girlfriend is looking to get into Warhammer with a Daughters of Khaine army.
We bought the box set for them, but we're holding off on buying more till the army release comes out (soon hopefully, it would seem!)
In the mean time I wanted your guy's suggestions on what we should include as allies from Darkling Covens.
For 200 points I think a sorceress and some darkshards would be good.
For 400 I figure just add some executioners.

What do you guys think? 

Executioners are good if you only add 10 but adding 20 stops you getting a sorceress. You need a sorceress. Unless your group has lots of Stormcast and Sylvaneth - then definitely take 20 for the mortal wounds.

I would not just look in DC though - the other factions also have some good options.

My "goto" allies block is either 5 Dark Riders + a sorceress for 200 points.

or 2 units of 5 dark riders + sorceress + assassin for 400 points.

adds more mobility + shooting + magic+ an interesting character.

Another option I would like to try is 40 Black arc corsairs with repeater hand-bows (only 260 points) I hate painting horde units though!! I have only bought 10 so far so it may never happen.

I really wouldn't bother with Darkshards outside of Darkling Covens allegiance. If you are playing against a low armour enemy and you have a unit of 30+ they can do some work but a unit of 10 will do very little or nothing useful. 14" Move Darkriders can win you games in missions like starstrike - and the models are awesome :D

You can fit 10 executioners, 5 dark riders & a sorceress in 400 points too.

A dreadlord on Black Dragon + Sorceress is another combo I have used.

@DantePQ they are the only thing in the Darkling Coven/ DoK ally pool that is cheap enough to be considered true "chaff".

The unit is arguably more effective with dual blades but with a unit of 40 you will rarely get them all fighting which is why I have been looking at the hand bows. 9" range, 80 shots, 5's then 4's, no rend - its not mind blowing but I think even the threat of 80 dice is useful for influencing your opponent into bad tactical decisions!

+ DoK have had no presence in the shooting phase (except those rare times your medusa survives to get in range) and its good to compete in all phases of the game.

for DC I run a really elite army of 60 executioners and 2 dragons so I have been looking for cheaper bodies than the 30 darkshards or spears I run at the moment. Skinks would be perfect but then I have to go to GA Order so the corsairs fill that role best out of the DC ally pool. I think if you are running more of a horde build with swords/spears/shards then the corsairs are maybe not as useful.

So its nothing earth shattering but worth a look I think. Let me know how you get on if you try it, like I said I have mostly been put off by the need to buy 3 more boxes and then build and paint a unit of 40! - particularly with new DoK models on the way! Those corsair kits are sweet though - they look much better on rounds than they did in rank and file units.

7 hours ago, DantePQ said:

Thanks maybe I will assemble and paint those Corsairs I have I love the model but I will wait for Battletome DoK and see how much such chaff unit will be needed. 

I'm not so sure you'd want to ally in the chaff.  One of the key things when running horde/massive regiments is how to mitigate your Battleshock phase... DoK have Witchbrew, and DC have Tyrannical Ruler ability.  I would wait and see - it looks like DoK is getting some ranged options and potentially some mortal wound output.

Archived