The Traitor

After a failed attempt to seriously get into AoS a while ago which was totally overrun by the release of 40k 8th edition, I'm back into the AoS train! And this time I've actually bought an army as a proof I'm here to stay :P:

IMG_20180103_154413409.jpg.51ce11f1a5d325431694905a5e7eb98c.jpg

I'm going to do an army either usable as Hosts of Slaanesh or as Daughters of Khaine, thanks to the similarities between the models and a liberal use of greenstuff and magnets! The fluff idea behind them is a bit twisted, they'll basically be the remains of a dark elf Cult of Slaanesh from the old world that supposedly turned to Khaine when Malekith rose, but still the cult remained beneath the surface and, when the End of Times came and Morathi revealed her true allegiance again, they returned to the Dark Prince in search of power. However, in the Mortal Realms, with Slaanesh gone, and the cult of Khaine divided, they turned to a new master, Malal, the Renegade god, who promised them the power they had lost. Because of this they're the Divided Host, followers of three powers but not entirely of none, which fits perfectly the Invaders trait of the Hosts of Slaanesh. 

I've already posted my lists in both the Let's Chat threads of the Daughters of Khaine and Hosts of Slaanesh, but also wanted to have a thread to post the AoS version of the models (you can check my thread at the Bolter and Chainsword for 40k-related things, daemons are usable in both systems after all), and that's why I'm posting here. I've already finished a Cauldron of Blood/ Chariot of Slaanesh.

The chariot version can either be used as a Herald on Exalted Seeker Chariot:

1515149239029.jpeg.863e5155abb09d69e5f2f98409bc4abc.jpeg1515149184981.jpeg.fdb69d332ce4dc216be311f449c86cbc.jpeg

Or as a non-Exalted Chariot by removing the seekers and extra armour on the sides, which are magnetised:

1515149352505.jpeg.f0b17faeddb98bf583f54ba5fee587eb.jpeg

And then there's the Cauldron of Blood version, which exchanges the lash for a chalice and adds... well, a cauldron of blood, as you could expect:

1515149527824.jpeg.2536b4cc592751f3691656647e080a8b.jpeg

It's all done based on the Cauldron of Blood box, which is a truly amazing kit and I couldn't recommend it more. I've basically turned the staircase outwards, the rack that should hold the frontal wheels upwards with two steeds of slaanesh chained to them and the armour plates that normally are beneath the stairs I've put on the sides with another two steeds, this ones with daemonettes riding them. The steeds are all done with a press mold of the classic Juan Diaz sculpts and retconned a bit with greenstuff to differentiate them and fix the many errors that a press mold leaves. As for the witches/ daemonettes and the hag/ herald, I've carved off the nose and the "tiara" they have so that their faces are like the old daemonettes, converted the boots into clawed feet and changed a knife to be held sideways, mimicking the shape that a daemonette claw would have. Also the Herald has a magnetised arm that can either be used with a Flensing Whip or a Witchbrew, and maybe I'll make a Deathsword option later on if I need to.

What I'm debating right now is about how to paint them, though I more or less have a scheme thought:

IMG_2885.JPG.2e8f56f1539ac55e6b9614ea219648e9.JPG

I still need to try a more human-like skin tone, though I like the one I did here a lot, so will probably end up with it anyways. My main doubt right now is with the hair, should I paint it white, black, black with white points? Any opinion would be appreciated! Other things I'm contemplating are the colour of the eyes, I'm tore between glowing green and pure black; and will try different tattoo patterns later on to see how they look. Also take into consideration that the one on the left is mostly finished, but the right one isn't. 

Anyways, hope you like it and comments and constructive criticism are always welcome, hope to update with more models soon!

Very creative stuff so far. There's something undeniably special about taking a kit and really making it your own and I think you've done that wonderfully :)

As far as your colour scheme goes I'd vote for the black hair (or some other dark colour). Mostly because the white hair is too similar to the skin IMO and the two blur together a bit - the black on the other hand gives a nice strong contrast that helps bring out the definition of the face.

Other than that I think it looks great - looking forward to seeing how this army develops!

@Davariel Thanks, I love doing this kind of conversions in which you don't have to sculpt that much but rather just rearrange things (however sculpting conversions are also great and will be coming soon :P). I've received that kind of feedback elsewhere, so probably I'll go for black in the end, I guess contrast is always better. 

Finished a squad of daemonettes:IMG_2897.JPG.f3ffe4c8ac9aead1e6f0d71f23147d1f.JPG

I'm quite happy with how they're looking, the daemonettes and the witches are meshing fine together with some sculpting and the same weapons and heads, though I'm converting them to more dynamic poses for the next batch.

Spoiler

1515239232975.jpeg.901f396b27b7696c0c797dcd000d79eb.jpegIMG_2895.JPG.b6aa87514a4920ec5d040c70eb007649.JPG

And a happy groupshot with the chariot:

1515239145621.jpeg.28e44b5eb24d612c628079fa456a07b0.jpeg

I have 10 Sisters of Slaughter only missing greenstuff in the feet and arm junctions, and I've already started on a Keeper of Secrets conversion based on the Khaine statue and a Hive Tyrant (and loads of greenstuff), so expect more pics soon.

@Jagged Red Lines: thanks a lot!

@Rhivan: Thanks, glad you like it, will be repeating the process on two more, maybe I'll even do a quick tutorial on how to convert them like this.

@Ahriman: Slaanesh Cult had so much potential, a shame it hasn't been mentioned in AoS, though I guess with Slaanesh gone he must be a pretty hard god to praise, to the point that even his daemons seem to be going rogue... Hope to make them fit the realms with my approach, and thanks for the compliments!

@S133arcanite: Thanks, will try to write some fluff pieces as I do with my 40k armies, though it will probably be harder as I don't know that much about AoS background, and it seems that there isn't that much fluff made about Slaanesh, Daughters of Khaine or even Druchii, but I'll do my best as I think an interesting background makes and interesting army, and ends up influencing my conversions.

So, because I'm in my last IB year and today was my first school day after Christmas (so there was a lot of works to hand in, trying to finish and excuse myself for not finally finishing as I spent the whole vacation hobbling...), I haven't been able to work much this past two days, but made some progress on a Sisters of Slaughter unit:

IMG_2915.JPG.b439198f5dacc63e77324d7e87ae6e6d.JPG

Still the clawed feet and greenstuffing the joints is needed, didn't convert the heads or weapons as I think they already fit perfectly my army theme, will paint the skull masks half white half black to go with the Malal vibe.

Also started converting a Keeper of Secrets, though he's still in VERY early WIP stages:

IMG_2911.JPG.3e6b65166194c84ea5b3499b3ee3e5a3.JPGIMG_2912.JPG.6eef460510521363086a923b9e9a17c1.JPGIMG_2913.JPG.e10550501d1820d621c65c3f85857549.JPG

He is based on a Hive Tyrant that I got as a trophy from a painting competition (that's why he's primed in gold :P) covered with two statues of Khaine pieces from the Cauldron of Blood, and now he's starting to get a thick layer of greenstuff. I've just posed him to get feedback on the pose and the idea, and I'm very open to suggestions. The head is basically just a filler, as I plan to change it drastically, and he still needs loads of greenstuff work everywhere, specially on the legs and the back. Also I will fill him with spikes later on as I'm getting so many out of the statues!

The idea behind him is that when Khaine failed to the Host when the druchii got dispersed through the realms with Malekith gone, a Keeper of Secrets took the opportunity to win the old Cult of Slaanesh back, and possessed one of the Khaine statues of a Cauldron of Blood, showing the dominance of the new god over the old one, so he'll look half-statue half-daemon, which will hopefully end up in a cool looking model (which again, still needs a lot of work from what you see on the photos).

On 1/5/2018 at 1:09 PM, The Traitor said:

As for the witches/ daemonettes and the hag/ herald, I've carved off the nose and the "tiara" they have so that their faces are like the old daemonettes, converted the boots into clawed feet and changed a knife to be held sideways, mimicking the shape that a daemonette claw would have.

That's an amazing touch! The lack of nose is indeed a defining feature. might take inspiration from that :D

@Kramer: thanks a lot! I'm not a fan of the actual Daemonette models, and I think the nose is one of the issues (besides the new look of the claws and the only one boob thing...) so it will be great to see how those models look without it, as I'm doing it on witch heads.

So, made some progress through the week, though not as much as I would have liked due to the damn IB leeching my time away. Still, this is how the KoS is looking:

IMG_3022.JPG.d155d0ecd12f7f6871bce8e1f5921bbc.JPGIMG_3023.JPG.4b3434f94ac1bcfb593be657ad050fc4.JPGIMG_3024.JPG.637faa86292fd2828377e05f001dd500.JPG

The torso, arms, head and back are mostly done, only have to add details to the claws. And then I'll start working on the legs and the tail, which I fear they are going to take a damn lot of time... I'm pretty happy with how it is turning out though, once covered with greenstuff details it is all coming together nicely and hopefully it'll look better than the GW model when finished. 

I've also started working on my first hellstrider unit:

1516561356348.jpeg.52c1bc85c702dfc1d456dafba87357cd.jpeg

The base kit is already pretty cool, so there isn't as much work needed, I just removed Slaanesh icons and converted the helmets a bit. Additionally, I'm magnetising the torso for it to be exchangeable for the unit to be used as Seekers or Doomfire Warlocks:

IMG_3034.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
On 21/1/2018 at 9:35 PM, Lightbox said:

Oh wow those are awesome dude!!

Keep it up! Can't wait to see them painted.

Thanks, actually got some painting done this days!

Sorry for the lack of content, but got a bit side tracked by commissions and a personal project... However, I managed to get four models painted with different colour schemes for testing.

Option 1:

C8470D30-911A-4D63-BF8A-036B218CDB2A.jpeg.e5bd0e1d20d1dc7768507858ad923571.jpeg

I’m actually a huge fan of this option and the one I’m leaning more towards, it might look a bit to mortal-like, but otherwise I think it’s really striking and fits perfectly with my CSM colour scheme.

Option 2:

11F9045E-AE8E-459B-B764-283C0CCF0F91.jpeg.59f84e747a42d3606855d88f1492d777.jpeg

Everyone I’ve asked in my store liked this option the better for some reason, I painted half the hair black and half white to see which one would look better, still not sure though... My main problem with it is that it looks too slaaneshi, which is something I’m trying to avoid overall.

Option 3:

E1D1F563-D762-4F45-9E4F-E2610D9EFCC4.jpeg.9bb9e2426b756a7ceb74999a387d63c5.jpeg

Admittedly the most Malal looking of the four, but it looks too plain in my opinion, I think an striking colour scheme looks better for daemons. However, I love how the wet make up looks and will try to use it 8n whatever scheme I use, saw it on a White Dwarf years ago and remembered it when painting this model, very happy with the result!

Option 4:

138B9452-CADF-46D2-AF95-96EBAA7CA698.jpeg.dd7e64d31278dba55bcea54e51f10bfc.jpeg

Don’t worry, I’m not going for this option, just wanted to see how a darker skin tone would look as I’m a huge drow fan from D&D, but I’m not convinced at all, not the look I’m going for with this army.

So, what do you guys think? Right now I think I’m going for Option 1 with Option 3 eyes and maybe without the lipstick, but it would be great to hear your opinions! Which option do you like the best? Is there some element of one of the options I should try on another? What do you think about the coloured endings of the hair? Anything else I should try?

Personally I'm a big fan of option 2 you've managed to make the purple look super striking. I think the same technique with a different less slaaneshy colour like option 1's green could work well. The way the colour blends into the flash and contrasts with the hair is super awesome.

I quite like option 3, it looks very stylish and the pattern comes out best with black to white contrast, I feel.

I ould say, add a tiny bit of variation. Make the hair, claws and maybe the blades an of-black by accentuating it with a different dark hue, add some more bright spots like the eyes on fancier models and I think you might have a great color scheeme at hands.

Archived