Ctiadel Skirmish Cases

Mr. White

Does anyone have experience with these?

Obviously, they are a more expensive option, but they seem to hold a ton. Some reviews I've seen are saying 60-80 models?!

What I do like is that it's not 'pluck and pull'. Since I've sold a lot of models, I'm finding that my pluck and pull storage solutions are no longer efficient. They were plucked based on models I no longer have so are less useful for models going forward. This Citadel Skirmish case seems to be more flexible long term and it looks like it sort of 'closes' in on the models when the case is closed.

Does it handle odd shaped minis well? Like say....Tzeentch Screamers that are more horizontal than vertical? Can it hold Hammerhand on his Dracoth from the starter set?

So...can anyone here at TGA alliance speak on these cases?

Cheers!

As above! The cases are good for infantry heavy armies but largely stop being great if you want to play 2000 point games, be it AoS or 40k.

Its called a Skirmish case for a reason if thats what you play a lot Id say get it. It does hold 60 models but most armies run much more as that for 2000 points.

What I have been doing for the longest time, is I just use the Fome from the case. It sits in a large carbord box and it lets me place larger models on the top section and for them to still be supported by fome. I kinda wish GW would just sell the fome. 

Yeah, I'm not too interested in 2000pt games. We tend to play Skirmish or around 1000pt battles. Seems the Skirmish Case could fit the contents of the AoS starter plus plenty more. Maybe even the Blightwar models.

(Oh, before you ask our Stormcast Prosecutor wings are magnetized. We overcame that storage nightmare early on.)

1 hour ago, Uveron said:

What I have been doing for the longest time, is I just use the Fome from the case. It sits in a large carbord box and it lets me place larger models on the top section and for them to still be supported by fome. I kinda wish GW would just sell the fome. 

I wish this as well.  I have found that leaving models in the foam for too long can damage it.  I almost need new replacement foam for my Skirmish case at this point.  I always make sure to empty out my cases as soon as I can so as to let the foam recover as much as it can.

4 minutes ago, BunkhouseBuster said:

I wish this as well.  I have found that leaving models in the foam for too long can damage it.  I almost need new replacement foam for my Skirmish case at this point.  I always make sure to empty out my cases as soon as I can so as to let the foam recover as much as it can.

What do you mean damage the foam? I intended to leave the models in these cases as storage, not simply as transportation.

7 minutes ago, BunkhouseBuster said:

I've had two Crusade cases for a couple of years I think, and they're used for both storage and transportation, and have yet to see any damage to the foam zigzag-strips, even if they're squeezed together at points to make room for larger odd-sized models.

How do you find the foam gets damaged?

4 minutes ago, Mr. White said:

What do you mean damage the foam? I intended to leave the models in these cases as storage, not simply as transportation.

Just now, Spiky Norman said:

I've had two Crusade cases for a couple of years I think, and they're used for both storage and transportation, and have yet to see any damage to the foam zigzag-strips, even if they're squeezed together at points to make room for larger odd-sized models.

How do you find the foam gets damaged?

Like it "dents" the foam for extended periods.  I had them packed in really tight, and some of the more protruding models left impressions in the foam that took a while to recover, and then not fully.  If I'm the only one having this problem, then maybe it's just me!  Perhaps I was putting too many models in at a time or overreacting to what I saw.  Granted, I haven't even looked in my cases in a year at this point, so it may have formed back since then.  Plus, these were the first cases I ever used that actually had foam in them; prior to the Citadel cases I was using tackle boxes, plastic totes, showboxes, and bubble wrap, so my experiences may be skewed.

If you are wanting to use these as long-term storage, I would recommend not cramming the models in there too tightly.  Go for a firm-snug fit, rather than dense-compacted.  I hope that helps!

The 'foam' is just stretched/expanded plastic so will deform and change shape to some extent as its used. Mine is kind of bent/sagged at the front where closing the lid has squashed it.  It has no effect on the proctection, just means models in certain positions might not be held as snug as when new if its only lightly packed, conversly other places are more snug as the foam is pushed across.  Of course when you have it completely packed out with models they are all as squished/protected as each other. 

39 minutes ago, BunkhouseBuster said:

26 minutes ago, BunkhouseBuster said:

If you are wanting to use these as long-term storage, I would recommend not cramming the models in there too tightly.  Go for a firm-snug fit, rather than dense-compacted.  I hope that helps!

I can kinda see the issues BunkhouseBuster is talking about, but i havent had any major issues.  The issues I have is with my Metal modles, in that I have to place them in the base sections of the foam so they don't push down on other models. 

And yes the times I have overloaded the trays I have ended up with bent stuff, but my models broke before the foam. 

I bought the Battle Case to cart around my 2000pt Stormcast army and it works like a charm. It has 4 sections: I use the top 2 for most of the infantry, I remove the second from the bottom and use the bottom foam piece to carry any of my winged units and/or Dracoths. There's not way you'd fit a Stardrake or Prime in there, but that's kinda expected. I was able to stand my prosecutors in upright with the one foam piece removed, but still need to lie my Venator/Azyros down, using the foam to grip the base to stop it from moving. For perspective, I got 3 prosecutors, 2 Azyros and 1 Venator in one section.

Not sure about the crusade case being only good for infantry heavy armies. I'm looking at one of mine right now that holds 12 minotaurs, a ghorgon, a cygor, 10 warhounds, 60 gor, a bray shaman, a beastlord, a doombull, a chimera, and still has room for more. In my other one I have my nurgle stuff including the glottkin, two maggoth lords, blightkings, plaguebearers, plaguedrones and loads more. They've been in there for a number of years for both transport and storage and both foam and models are intact.

21 hours ago, Mr. White said:

Maybe even the Blightwar models.

Yeah I was wondering that too. Sure the cases work for models on foot and some of the lower mounts but what about Plague drones? Zombie dragon and other tall wierdly shaped models with lots of pointy plastic pointing in every direction. Does any of the cases hold those?

EDIT: oh.. screwface pretty much answered this Above. 

Also how come no one ever talks about the battle case? its either skirmish or crusade. 

I pull one section of foam out of my Crusade case and put my bigger models in there, underneath the next layer up. It holds a giant, a kharybdiss, an ironblaster, and a few other odd models quite well. I've also found that a few ogre- or troll-sized models in with the infantry helps everything stay tighter.

I like it well enough that I just ordered an 'Ard Case for a bunch of my Vampire Counts stuff.

• 1 month later...

A quick revisit to this topic as I have a little birthday monies on hand...

With the channel foam seeming to 'release' and 'tighten' on the models as the case opens and closes, does anyone find the foam rubbing paint off the minis? I'm not doing Golden Demon work or anything, just curious how models have held up in these moving foam cases over the long term....verse just sitting in a pluck'n'pull cavity.

On 02/01/2018 at 12:43 PM, Mr. White said:

A quick revisit to this topic as I have a little birthday monies on hand...

With the channel foam seeming to 'release' and 'tighten' on the models as the case opens and closes, does anyone find the foam rubbing paint off the minis? I'm not doing Golden Demon work or anything, just curious how models have held up in these moving foam cases over the long term....verse just sitting in a pluck'n'pull cavity.

I’ve not had paint rubbing off but if does  seem to polish the models.  

I like then cases and find them versatile and they can handle quite large models as turning the trays over creates double depth sections 

Archived