Lore Question: Kurnoth, is he real?

So the Sylvaneth make mention of Kurnoth a few times, but there is very little I can find on him. From what I understand, he's revered as the god of the hunt and is Alarielle's consort? COnsidering the Gods in AoS actively walk the Realms, I would assume there would be some aspect of truth to Kurnoth then. Anyone have any info?

Bonus: Was thinking about modelling him and using Alarielle's rules for him, with his own mount etc. How would you depict him?

1 hour ago, AthlorianStoners said:

Anyone have any info?

Apart from those little bits in the sylvaneth tome, no. I guess GW has something on this up their sleeves, but it's reserved for future. Or just another little bit from the old world, like sons of Durthu.

1 hour ago, AthlorianStoners said:

How would you depict him?

Probably something mixed between the revenant on the cover of the tome and Araloth.

I think he's real. The fact that we haven't seen him yet doesn't mean that he isn't there. Its possible that there are a number of gods that are more like the gods of the world-that-was rather than Allarielle or Nagash. They have physical bodies to walk across the realms, but that could be due to their status as incarnates of the winds of magic during the endtimes. We know that there have been more gods than just the ones we have seen yet, as Nagash has consumed all the other gods of death in Shyish. Another possible minor god is Khaine, there is an entire faction named after him.

15 minutes ago, Menkeroth said:

Apart from those little bits in the sylvaneth tome, no. I guess GW has something on this up their sleeves, but it's reserved for future. Or just another little bit from the old world, like sons of Durthu.

Probably something mixed between the revenant on the cover of the tome and Araloth.

OMG I didn't even see the Araloth/Kurnoth connection, that makes so much sense now haha.

I think he's real too and very likely a new variant of Orion from the Warhammer Fantasy Wood Elves range. To me it would be fitting and very cool to see an eventual redo of this very interesting character.

363?cb=20161127053747GAWWFB%2099110204057%20(92-11)%20T5A%20-

Orion, known by many titles such as the King in the Woods or the Master of the Wild Hunt, is the everlasting Lord of Athel Loren and co-ruler of the Wood Elven race. He is immortal, but his existence is irrevocably tied to the seasons. Thus does he pass willingly into his own funeral pyre each midwinter, only to be reborn into thunderous life on the first day of spring. Each year, on the eve of the vernal equinox, the Wild Riders selects a young prince who will bear the mantle of Orion for the coming year. This chosen one is led to the Oak of Ages and given over to Ariel’s keeping.

Orion-Tears-of-Isha.jpg

4 minutes ago, Gecktron said:

I think he's real. The fact that we haven't seen him yet doesn't mean that he isn't there. Its possible that there are a number of gods that are more like the gods of the world-that-was rather than Allarielle or Nagash. They have physical bodies to walk across the realms, but that could be due to their status as incarnates of the winds of magic during the endtimes. We know that there have been more gods than just the ones we have seen yet, as Nagash has consumed all the other gods of death in Shyish. Another possible minor god is Khaine, there is an entire faction named after him.

Thats a really good point, I hope in time we see more of the other gods. The Dwarf gods as well are a good example. 

2 minutes ago, Killax said:

I think he's real too and very likely a new variant of Orion from the Warhammer Fantasy Wood Elves range. To me it would be fitting and very cool to see an eventual redo of this very interesting character.

Thats an awesome idea. Would you imagine him as a Sylvaneth, or a Wanderer? 

A revamp of the Wanderer's with a wolf theme would be awesome now that I think on it. 

Just now, AthlorianStoners said:

A revamp of the Wanderer's with a wolf theme would be awesome now that I think on it. 

I secretly hope both, so you will see a coverage of green Wanderers/Aelven like him. I wouldnt discount GW having some ideas for him allready and potentially even some sculpts in the files that could ever become a second wave of "Wood Aelves".

One of the re-ocurring themes that Age of Sigmar does have is that many of the races are tied to one of the elementals or better put still, Magic Lores of WFB's past. In this current form I'd say Life is very well represented with the current Sylvaneth but the original lore of Athel Loren is still not completely covered with just life. Indeed there where elements of the hunt, tracking and general hunters too. Assassins if you will. So within that "vibe/design space" I feel Wanderers would be ideal to expand as the hunters that indeed can also operate outside of their current realm, hunting down former invaders and showing fury too.

I think that a revamp with indeed Order Dire Wolves would be very cool for the Wanderers, next to that I think Wanderers painted (skintone) and sculpted like Orion (so with horns) would really set them much more apart from other Aelven. In WFB Ive always felt their designs where too similar, which is logical but also made Wood Elves probably the least interesting branch of Elves. The hunt and tribal vide they have should certainly be expanded upon.

Absolutely and while I have very little knowledge about all of the Wood Elves lore there is a lot about this character I do like, especially the rebirth in the form of death in a giant pyre. There is a lot of stuff I didn't knew about but it's one of those practices that can actually be tied to suggested historical events...

In any case though I was/am a huge fan of the Sláine comic created by Pat Mills and especially fan of the artwork by Simon Bisley. From that perspective it also flows really well with the epic/mythical Fantasy Age of Sigmar is as opposed to the more Historical Dark design in Warhammer Fantasy. Though I'd be the first to admit that the Warhammer Fantasy setting couldn't really pay that much homage to him because the whole hunt, rebirth and defender of the queen concept is drawn from Celtic myths, so much more high fantasy as the Warhammer Fantasy setting could usually cope with ;) 

However I think we will see a return. Though with the ideas more fleshed out for 2018 I doubt it will occur any time soon.

During the end times the elven pantheon was destroyed. All the elven Gods ‘died’. Some of them appeared during battles disguise d as elves, most of these died in battle (vaul was a blind weaponsmith and died during the battle in avelorn. There even was a simple conversion for him). Some major elven heroes were considered reincarnations of a God. Tyrion was khaine and araloth at one point learned that he was actually asuryan.

khaine died during end times, but somehow has a faction worshipping him in AoS.

kornurous was the God of hunting in Warhammer fantasy and husband to isha ( allarielle ‘merged’ with Ariël, the wood elf queen and was the reincarnation of isha). I think Orion was supposed to be kornurous. He also died.

kornuth could be kornurous in some new form, but it is unclear de now...

1 hour ago, elfhead said:

kornuth could be kornurous in some new form, but it is unclear de now...

I'd say the lore would be very simple on this, because Arïel awoke again so does Kurnoth/Orion to serve her. The names are different but the principle can be very much the same.

19 hours ago, AthlorianStoners said:

I think they should give the Wanderers back their King! It would flesh them out a bit.

I'd love to see how they would revamp my favourite model too!

AthlorianStoner- back in 8th I used 5 fenrisian hounds to fill out my Wild Rider units, then in AoS they were Orion's hounds!

Wolves and Wanderers all the way! :D

It would be also awesome if they made Wanderers from the realm of beasts.

That's how I have imagined my Wanderer army. To me it ties in with the hunt and more feral savagery.

I imagine the shadowy aelves (and all remnants of dark elves) to enjoy and utilise slavery. The light aelves (and various high elf remnants) to consider themselves better than a mere animal or beast.

Whereas the Wanderers (Asrai) see themselves as equals. It would be awesome to have more animalistic, antlers, lupine features (as in wolf not any plant of the genus Lupinus; bearing erect spikes of usually purplish-blue flowers xD), very little armour. Maybe an army that has a lot of rend, but maybe not much mortal wound output?!

Definitely a Wanderer specific monster; I'm voting get the king back! But giant antler wearing-wolf beast would work too :P 

Archived