Bringing a bit of 40k to AoS - Converting a themed army

Trokair

I have to start by saying that I am a 40k player but I have dabbled in Fantasy from time to time having a few armies over the years. At some point I started converting Fantasy army for 40k use. Lizardmen into chose demons, dwarfs into skitarii (eyeing up the overlord range to do a few more units) and as of AoS and the Sylvaneth release Tyranids made of trees.

So now I kind of want to do the opposite. I found some of my Kroot from when they first came out over the weekend and it has got me thinking. I always liked the Kroot but they have never stood to well by themselves in 40k, even when they had the Chapter approved mercenary list.

As they have a low tech look and there is some gunpowder tech in AoS I think I can make this work.

My experience of AoS so far has been quite limited, maybe a little over half a dozen learning games in total with my Ogres (about 1000p) and some Ironjaws I bought (about 1500p) last summer. So I think I know the very basics of AoS but I have next to no experience with more advance stuff, allegiance specific stuff and all the other stuff.  

So with all of this in mind what army/faction do any of you think would serve as a good list to base the Kroot to AoS conversions on? I think about a 1000p to start with and expanding to 1500p in time. Kroot, Shapers and Krootox would be the mainstay, Kroot hounds I will include if I can but are not required (they are the only Krootnoid I was never to keen on, maybe with new models that will change, one can dream). I don’t have any of the Forgeworld Kroot stuff but with a bit of patience I am sure I can track some done on ebay.

Tzaangors seem like an idea, Shapers would be shamans, Krootox could be the guys with giant bows on disk. Though ideally I would want the main unit to have a ranged attack so as to have Kroot with their guns as well as converted with swords and so on.

Any other army ideas or recommendations that could fit the theme?

Khorne seems an obvious possibility. Kroots as bloodletters, hounds as hounds and Krootox as juggers. Kroots also have a certain physical resemblance to Bloodletters, which makes it convenient....

Lizardmen also could be possible with a bit more work, with the primitive humanoide beast look. Or even wood elves if you go with forest look. Check these out, they sort of give an idea for both:

DSCN1920.JPG

82d4eef8ecd6682ac655de8d12e5fbfb.jpg

I've been looking at the Kroot models for a while now, trying to figure out how to put them into AOS. I think anything Chaos related would work. I think they lend themselves to Slaves to Darkness with a Tzeentch tint or maybe some sort of swamp theme to a destruction army.

VBS ~ Both of those look cool, thank you.

Are the shields 5th edition Saurus? They certainly look familiar.

While Khorne seems nice I do want to a faction with a ranged attacks on one infantry unit so that I can have some Kroot with their guns.

As you know, Tzaangor kits don't come cheap if you want to bulk up that force. I had a bunch of old Kroot I never painted, so I pulled their arms (and some gear) off, and glued on extra Tzaangor chest plates (green stuff smoothing on their backs), and outfitted them with left over TZ heads, shields, and sword arms from the TZ kit. I ran out of extra heads but used blades as horns on Kroot heads. Painted up, I got 20+ extra Tzaangors for free and the legs are close enough they all blend in well together.

16 hours ago, Trokair said:

Are the shields 5th edition Saurus? They certainly look familiar.

Yeah, it definitely looks like the old Saurus ones. Feathers look like Silver Helm/Archer box (or at least have a very similar one). And the spear Stormvermin??

I also agree with Mayple, Beastmen could be a fantastic option and easy to do as Beastmen aren't always "goat-type" but can basically be any form of corrupted humanoid creature.

I think the Kroot look good for Seraphon. It’d be an interesting narrative hook that the Slann’s memory is a bit off and consequently his minions look a bit different. 

I quite like the suggestion above of Wanderers seems to fit well with the 40K Kroot liking woods  

Of course might be best not to stick to just one faction and select across a Grand Alliance for the warscrolls that represent each unit the best 

If I did not already have a large Lizardmen collection then that would be a tempting way to go.

Having looked through the Wanderers Warscrolls on the GW website they seem like they could be a good fit. Shapers as heroes, Kroot as infantry with their guns for bows and converted with weapons tobe the other units. 

The Waywatcher seem to have good stats to represent a Krootox, or failing that, assuming that I can take Sylvaneth as allies, I can use a unit of Kurnoth Hunters with bows.

Any suggestions as to what Kroot hounds could be count as for in such an army.

More choices to ponder.

So after reading around a bit to get a better understanding of various armies I think the best suited to what I wanted the Kroot to look like are the Tzaangor and the Wanderers. The Wanderers have a lot that feels right. One box of EG/WWR will give me the weapons for 20 Kroot and I think bother the double sided spear and the axes/halberds  will work well on Kroot. However going this rout will require a lot more bodies to be converted. The Tzaangor are a more obvious and visually easier to count as army and as a new army are not suddenly going to the way of the Tomb Kings.

So here are two rough lists I made using the Warscroll builder on the community website to be a starting point. I know I have sub optimal units in both list, as I picked them for the look/conversion potential and overall feel.  I also have no idea what command traits, artifacts and spells to pick.

Thoughts?

Arcanites 

Leaders
Ogroid Thaumaturge – General  
Tzaangor Shaman 

Battleline
20 x Tzaangors 
10 x Kairic Acolytes 

Units
3 x Tzaangor Skyfires

Total: 980 / 1000

Or

Wanderers

Leaders
Nomad Prince - General
Waywatcher 
Waywatcher 

Battleline
20 x Glade Guard 
10 x Eternal Guard 

Units
10 x Wildwood Rangers 
10 x Sisters of the Watch 

Total: 1000 / 1000

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2017 at 3:44 PM, Trokair said:

So after reading around a bit to get a better understanding of various armies I think the best suited to what I wanted the Kroot to look like are the Tzaangor and the Wanderers. The Wanderers have a lot that feels right

I think Wanderers are an amazing choice. It's unexpected choice but is really cool.

Archived