Fyreslayers in Destruction?

Menkeroth

Actually, this has been buzzing around in my mind for quite a while. Don't you think they should be in the Destruction camp? They are mercenaries, quite wild and savage, and bent only on fighting and obtaining their precious ur-gold. I'd say they would look in Destruction way better. What do you say?

I think they should have been outside the Allegiance systems as the first of a mercenary  faction. I think they took payment from Chaos in one of the stories so there's a bit of precedent 

Maybe Lawful Neutral than anything else? 

Edit: the mere suggestion of Stunties in Destruction has made me feel physically sick.  Shame on you for mentioning it. ?

24 minutes ago, BaldoBeardo said:

They still have the underlying Dwarf trait of honour. More Unlawful Good than evil.

It's their paradox. They, on the one hand, honor oaths and such, on the other - they are mercenaries and will fight for anyone who can pay them in gold. These are things that don't do well together at all.

2 minutes ago, xking said:

No,  It is  called the Destruction "alliance",  Grimnir would never ally with Gorkamorka.

We don't know this even in the slightest. And Grimnir is dead actually.

2 minutes ago, xking said:

They are very orderly.

They are mercenaries fighting only for gold, so really don't suit Order at all.

This is where "sub-factions" would come in handy.  You have to ask yourself: Is EVERY Fyreslayer Lodge going to follow the same practices and hold the same worldview as every other?

Personally, I like the idea of mercenary units or armies that can be played in between the Grand Alliances, to an extent.  Seraphon aren't likely to be mercenaries, not are Stormcast or Everchosen.  But others might be able to...

- Some Slaves to Darkness Warband that views itself as a group of holy paladins of the Chaos powers

- Ogors that fight for a city of Order in exchange for meals

- Vampires who view themselves as a just and noble ruling class, and conduct themselves as such, commanding Free Guild troops in battle

- Heck, didn't we get some form of ad hoc alliance in the Silver Tower fluff?  Chaos and Order were working together in that case, weren't they?

20 minutes ago, xking said:

Maybe you should read the book. or even the battletome. I have read everything.  

It doesn't seem so, because in the tome and in all books it's written they are mercenaries and work for anyone only for gold. Read the "Mighty battles in an age of unending war" and, say, "Balance of Power", if the tome doesn't convince they are mercenaries just like ogres, actually. 

20 minutes ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

Didn't Gotrek become Grimnir? It's been a while since I read Slayer. 

Of course no. Grimnir is Grimnir.

20 minutes ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

Allthe non Chaos God allied in the Age of Legends didn't they ? 

Yes, for a short while.

15 minutes ago, BunkhouseBuster said:

Heck, didn't we get some form of ad hoc alliance in the Silver Tower fluff?  Chaos and Order were working together in that case, weren't they?

this was an exception, and in the according book it was hard for them to cooperate.

I think it would be cool, and kind of Dogs of War-ish, if they added Mercenary as a 5th allegiance that works with any of the previous 4.  Their units would be limited to allies only in level points per type or something like that.  It would also be interesting to have generals who could lead your army, but not be an official member of the allegiance or grand alliance.  Something like Rochambeau, Steuben, Hazen, or Lafayette in the AWI or other officers that served in the various continental armies though they were not from that specific country.

29 minutes ago, Tyromancer said:

I think it would be cool, and kind of Dogs of War-ish, if they added Mercenary as a 5th allegiance that works with any of the previous 4. 

This would add so much to the game and the hobby in general that it baffles me that they haven't implemented it already. Imagine a quarterly or even bi-annual splash release of a Dogs of War unit that can be taken as allies in any army, regardless of Grand Alliance. Everyone gets a new toy to play with, everyone has something to get excited about regardless of how long they're waiting for their main army to get some love, and GW gets to rake in money from everyone. The structure of AoS is made for exactly this kind of flexibility - they could implement mercenaries tomorrow in a way that feels completely natural and requires no adjustment to the current framework.

Do you hear me GW??! Implement this at once!!!

43 minutes ago, Menkeroth said:

this was an exception, and in the according book it was hard for them to cooperate.

I haven't had a chance to read the fluff on Silver Tower at all, so cool to know.

But isn't it cool to know about such exceptional moments?  Not just regular battles with winners and losers, but where strange and unusual events happen where character development happens, and noteworthy accomplishments are made and recorded for all time.

12 minutes ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

This would add so much to the game and the hobby in general that it baffles me that they haven't implemented it already. Imagine a quarterly or even bi-annual splash release of a Dogs of War unit that can be taken as allies in any army, regardless of Grand Alliance. Everyone gets a new toy to play with, everyone has something to get excited about regardless of how long they're waiting for their main army to get some love, and GW gets to rake in money from everyone. The structure of AoS is made for exactly this kind of flexibility - they could implement mercenaries tomorrow in a way that feels completely natural and requires no adjustment to the current framework.

Do you hear me GW??! Implement this at once!!!

It seems like the release enough one off Stormcast models over time for me to think something like this is completely feasible.  Hell, I'd be happy for one off non-Stormcast heroes for factions that could use a  particular type hero in their list.  Like Lion Rangers with any hero or the Megaboss on Goregrunta.

42 minutes ago, xking said:

"Mighty battles in an age of unending war" and "Balance of Power" are out dated.  It's called a progressive narrative. Sigmar has paid for the loyalty of the fyreslayers. Emptying his treasury to do so and fyreslayers don't break there oaths.  Also what happens when  Grimnir is  resurrected?(he will be)   They are in order for a reason.

Outdated? I know this happens always in 40k but here? Why would it be? You are right in that Sigmar emptied his treasure vaults to buy service of the Fyreslayers lodges, although clearly not all of them (there are lodges in Ghur, Hysh and Ulgu where Order has as of yet no foothold, like in Shyish too). But it is still my point - but for the gold the slayers wouldn't have been fighting for Order.  And what of Grimnir... we have to see if he comes back and what happens then, for now we have what we have.

16 minutes ago, BunkhouseBuster said:

I haven't had a chance to read the fluff on Silver Tower at all, so cool to know.

Read if you have time, it's very good, and is especially highlighted in the "Labyrinth of the lost", the fluff novel for the game.

17 minutes ago, BunkhouseBuster said:

But isn't it cool to know about such exceptional moments?  Not just regular battles with winners and losers, but where strange and unusual events happen where character development happens, and noteworthy accomplishments are made and recorded for all time.

It is, sure. I like such bits as well, it gives you lots of opportunities. It is like lodges of the slayers that fight alongside ogres or Shadowkin Aelves, or Ordo Draconis that often fights with the Dispossessed and Devoted. So many possibilities here!

This can all be done in narrative play with no issue whatsoever. Or you house rule away the matched play rule that requires you to stick with one Grand Alliance.

I dont see any need for more rules than this, and i dont think it would suit competitive play to allow factions access to even more allies than they do now!

18 minutes ago, Captain Marius said:

This can all be done in narrative play with no issue whatsoever. Or you house rule away the matched play rule that requires you to stick with one Grand Alliance.

I dont see any need for more rules than this, and i dont think it would suit competitive play to allow factions access to even more allies than they do now!

Bah, that's too easy and couldn't possibly work (xD).

58 minutes ago, Captain Marius said:

I don't play matched play and so don't care if it requires something, and neither do I care of competitiveness. And the point of the thread is  not about if it can be done - it can. Just about fluffwise thoughts that the slayers suit Destruction more.

49 minutes ago, xking said:

Look, If you want to put fyreslayers in destruction in your game, do it. But officially the fyreslayers are order. And order has footholds in all the realms.

No, not in all, and I didn't say they are not Order, but it does not matter - they suit Destruction more and should belong to it more, in my opinion, for even those Order factions that also look a bit odd like different former dark elves ones have their own place - they share hate to Chaos and revenge on it with all the rest. The slayers, however, do not by any means. And thanks that you allow me to bring this idea to life, what could I have done without your permission? I do plan, though, in the future to organize a small warband on the slayers of those lodge in Ghur that fights often alongside the local ogre tribe and add some ogres to them, maybe with using their bits together to show this. GW is GW, it is their fluff, they have invented it.

49 minutes ago, Trout said:

If they'll fight for anyone, they should have been included in every faction's list of allies.

They fight, which is stated in all their fluff books and stuff. Surprisingly enough. I don't wonder that other people don't read fluff. 

3 hours ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

I think they should have been outside the Allegiance systems as the first of a mercenary  faction. I think they took payment from Chaos in one of the stories so there's a bit of precedent 

Maybe Lawful Neutral than anything else? 

Edit: the mere suggestion of Stunties in Destruction has made me feel physically sick.  Shame on you for mentioning it. ?

How dare you sir, as a KO player I will now dedicate more resources than is necessary to removing the green blight on the realms.

To be honest the way all dwarf factions work in aos that didn't get into azyr should be put in a neutral faction of their own.

18 minutes ago, Menkeroth said:

I don't play matched play and so don't care if it requires something, and neither do I care of competitiveness. And the point of the thread is  not about if it can be done - it can. Just about fluffwise thoughts that the slayers suit Destruction more.

No, not in all, and I didn't say they are not Order, but it does not matter - they suit Destruction more and should belong to it more, in my opinion, for even those Order factions that also look a bit odd like different former dark elves ones have their own place - they share hate to Chaos and revenge on it with all the rest. The slayers, however, do not by any means. And thanks that you allow me to bring this idea to life, what could I have done without your permission? I do plan, though, in the future to organize a small warband on the slayers of those lodge in Ghur that fights often alongside the local ogre tribe and add some ogres to them, maybe with using their bits together to show this. GW is GW, it is their fluff, they have invented it.

They fight, which is stated in all their fluff books and stuff. Surprisingly enough. I don't wonder that other people don't read fluff. 

All Destruction factions serve Gorkamorka, as all Death serve Nagash, whether willingly or unwillingly. Grimnir is a god of Order, therefore Fyreslayers are Order. That's the main fluff of AoS (in my opinion!)

Im glad that my permission has paved the way for you to play your slayers how you would like to! ;) Id be keen to see any pics of your allied army of slayers and ogors :)

1 minute ago, Captain Marius said:

All Destruction factions serve Gorkamorka, as all Death serve Nagash, whether willingly or unwillingly. Grimnir is a god of Order, therefore Fyreslayers are Order. That's the main fluff of AoS (in my opinion!)

Yes, of course, you are right, and I know why they are in Order. Maybe their fluff was intentionally written in this way - to look a bit odd to show that Order is manyfold. I just don't like their mercenary nature that much, also because Order consists of those hating Chaos and fighting it because of this.

3 minutes ago, Captain Marius said:

Im glad that my permission has paved the way for you to play your slayers how you would like to! ;) Id be keen to see any pics of your allied army of slayers and ogors :)

Aye, I was thinking yesterday about all this stuff, and apart from mixing them on the battlefield I can't think of how to unite them more, maybe with swapping weapons and such. Will need to see sprues first. 

Lofnir Lodge is what often fights for local ogres, and since it's not specified which ogres it is (although I think it's not Beastclaws) then why not? Gutbuster ogres and a Firebelly or two and a band of slayers. I plan to merge them as following: 1-2 units of vulkites and some heroes + 2 units of ogre bulls, 1 of Ironguts and some heroes too, maybe also with a ironblaster or too.

Archived