Rune's Goretide - Bloodbound

I've been putting WIP pics up on Twitter and my blog, but thought I'd pop some up here too :)

My current project consists of four Blood Warriors and a Skullgrinder which I'm pleased to say are almost finished.  Left to do is: Blood Warriors arms (somehow managed to miss that tiny slither of flesh); Finish highlighting the black; Eyes; Skullgrinder's anvil.  I'm following the excellent WarhammerTV guide which I think is perfectly adequate for a tabletop standard army - plus I quite like the overall effect.

Photo was snapped before I left for work, so not going to win any prizes (was in a bit of a rush as I was already running late)

KhorneBloodWarriorsAlmostDone.jpg

My initial test pieces were the "other" Blood Warrior and Bloodsecretor (which I think is one of my favourite mini's out of the range)

KhorneBloodboundFirstFinished.jpg

I'm intending on doing a fairly simple grey textured base with a few tufts of grass and either a brown or black edge to it (I normally airbrush the edges of the base for that super flat finish).

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Soulsmith said:

Firstly, they look fantastic. Secondly, why have I never thought about using my airbrush for bases, it makes so much sense!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Thanks.  I only went to airbrush on my 40k bases as I edge them in black and needed to finish off some miniatures quickly one day.  Really liked the finish so do all of them now.  One nice thing is that if you airbrush with the main base colour you can spray up the boot/foot a little so it looks like dirt or dust.

3 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

Thanks.  I only went to airbrush on my 40k bases as I edge them in black and needed to finish off some miniatures quickly one day.  Really liked the finish so do all of them now.  One nice thing is that if you airbrush with the main base colour you can spray up the boot/foot a little so it looks like dirt or dust.

This is a technique I've been using too, looks great for dusty or dirty basing. If doing mud you can blend it in to look like dried mud.

Great looking models! Have you considered putting in a bit of green somewhere on each model, just to make it pop?

Cheers all.  I ended up not going out yesterday so managed to do the last few bits on the Blood Warriors.  Bit of a crude picture - again snapped before I left for work.  Once I've got enough up to a decent standard I'm planning to borrow a DSLR and take some decent shots of the whole army.

KhorneBloodWarriorsDone.jpg

Skullgrinder anvil flames and cloth still needs doing.  Next step is a coat of varnish so they're playable this weekend.  Khorgorath is the next miniature I'm aiming to paint which I may even get some paint on one evening this week...

14 hours ago, Dez said:

Great looking models! Have you considered putting in a bit of green somewhere on each model, just to make it pop?

The miniatures don't really lend themselves to having extra colours added (no gemstones or trinkets), however I have seen some people apply a verdigris effect to the brass.  If done well it's really effective (though it's awful if over applied).  I'll likely make an overall decision on this once the whole army is done - possibly adding it only to the mortal elements of the army.  I'm aiming to add some big feature pieces such as the Mutalith Vortex Beast and Chaos Warshrine so likely add some extra colours into those to contrast against the rank and files

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies on such a big gap on updates, real life has gone a little crazy over the past week and a bit!  Hopefully it'll calm down again by the end of the weekend.

Here's the progress so far on my Khorgorath - or as he's been nicknamed the "Korgi Monster" (should have painted him blue).  I did get a wash onto the bone and armour before I went to bed last night so the next job is highlighting the mountain of bone...

KhorgorathWIP2.jpg

On 17/06/2016 at 9:20 AM, Leviathus said:

Nice work man! Crisp paintwork :D

Cheers!

Managed to get this model up to the point where I've just got the tentacles and eyes to do :)  Quite happy with how he's come out.

KhorgorathWIP3.jpg

I also had a bit of a brain wave and remembered I'd picked up this chap the last time I was up at Warhammer World who will add in a bit of needed summoning and anti-shooting!  I can paint him up in a very similar way to the rest of the army and don't think he comes across too "magicky"

DaemonSmith.jpg

I need to work out what I fancy painting next... I've a Blood Stoker, Mighty Lord of Khorne, Daemon Smith (above), Blood Reavers and a new box of ten Blood Warriors.  I'm only using the Blood Reavers currently to boost the numbers, so not got much keen to paint them.

I'm not too keen on the Khorgorath model, but you've done a really nice paint job on it so far.  The purpleyness in the red looks great, the only thing that looks a little odd is the gold trim on the crotch plate doesn't match the gold trim on his arm armor.  Keep up the good work, you're inspiring me to do some work on my Bloodbound.

2 hours ago, cb_rex said:

I'm not too keen on the Khorgorath model, but you've done a really nice paint job on it so far.  The purpleyness in the red looks great, the only thing that looks a little odd is the gold trim on the crotch plate doesn't match the gold trim on his arm armor.  Keep up the good work, you're inspiring me to do some work on my Bloodbound.

Cheers, overall it's come out pretty well.  The cod piece is a bit of an optical illusion as it's angled downwards and my quick photo didn't capture it particularly well (the light was coming from the top) :P

Definitely have a crack at some Bloodbound, they're really nice models to paint - just the right amount of detail that they're interesting to paint but not too fiddly

Really nice work, you're going to have a nice cohesive army when you're done - well, well above table top standard.

I like the idea of adding chaos dwarf elements - the old Khorne Realm of Chaos army list included chaos dwarf units - so you've made a fluffy choice [emoji6]

I second the suggestion of using an extra colour to make the models pop - I'll be using turquoise as a spot colour for my Khorne models - much like the top knot etc on the Exalted Deathbringer as per the paint scheme in the white dwarf paint splatter. Plus verdigris is kind of turquoise.

I'll be watching your blog with interest.

MGP

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 25/06/2016 at 9:49 AM, MyGeekyPersona said:

Really nice work, you're going to have a nice cohesive army when you're done - well, well above table top standard.

I like the idea of adding chaos dwarf elements - the old Khorne Realm of Chaos army list included chaos dwarf units - so you've made a fluffy choice emoji6.png

I second the suggestion of using an extra colour to make the models pop - I'll be using turquoise as a spot colour for my Khorne models - much like the top knot etc on the Exalted Deathbringer as per the paint scheme in the white dwarf paint splatter. Plus verdigris is kind of turquoise.

I'll be watching your blog with interest.

MGP

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks, I'm trying to have something that looks nice on the tabletop but doesn't take too long to get up and going.  I gloss varnished the models I've completed the other day so think a verdigris wash will happen (the gloss means you don't taint any colours).  I tend to mix my verdigris from an old pot of Hawk Turquoise followed by Vallejo Verdigris.  I think this gives a richer finish than the GW technical paint so hopefully will look OK :)

1 hour ago, Ademo said:

Wow - impressive batch painting skills - I lack the patience and normally end up with five and then slowly drop off through each step but it will be great to have the whole unit ready together! 

Thanks :)  With my 40k stuff I'm pretty much the same - have to force myself to get through the half unit I've picked out and always seem to miss bits.

With my Bloodbound I somehow have found my rhythm and haven't found them too painful.  A few things that I've found have helped:

• Having a defined set of steps to use and completing one step before the next (as tempting as it is to move on)
  • Limited colour range which is all set out on the paint station
  • Two water pots - when one's murky simply swap it out with the clean one, means you don't have to stop mid-flow
  • The right brushes for the job.  For the first time ever I've use a large brush to apply the main base colours
  • Not mixing colours.  Yes it's expensive to buy the colours you want, but the time it saves is worth every penny

Finally got all of the base colours down on the Chaos Warriors (I want to pick up a copper colour for the Daemonsmith so he's "on hold").  The models on the left have been given a wash (or in the case of the icon bearer just the chains).  Always surprised with how much the wash brings everything together :)

I should easily finish the wash tonight, will push some of the shadows a bit further too.  Then it's onto edge highlight the metallics, which will take forever (but give me a chance to try out the new Stormcast Silver)

KhorneBloodWarriors-2-WIP7.jpg

Just realised I'd not posted an update on my Blood Warriors for a few days!  I started the edge highlighting last night so thankfully the end is in sight!

KhorneBloodWarriors-2-WIP8.jpg

I also tried out the new Stormhost Silver which bizarrely smells like the old silver metallic pens that were all the rage when I was a child...  Massive improvement over Runefang Steel however I must be honest and say that I prefer my mix of Vallejo Model Air Steel and Runefang Steel (Air) for edge highlights.  My mix seems to go on much more smoothly (normally only needing a single pass) and doesn't suck into the bristles in the same way as the new GW metallics appear to.  It was worth purchasing but I can't see it getting much use for my Bloodbound.

Second attempt at posting this as my phone added the wrong pics :P

The metallics are finally finished!  Sadly my weekend became much busier than I'd originally anticipated so I only had about a third of the time I originally thought I had.

Thankfully though I'm now on the home stretch and have a whole evening to myself tonight - nothing else to do other than feed myself!  This means that I think I could get this unit finished - I've got highlights to do on: red armour, skin, brown leather, black and then all of the skulls to highlight up, but in the grand scheme of things none of these are particularly mammoth tasks and I'm hoping a couple of hours should see it done.

KhorneBloodWarriors-2-WIP9.jpg

KhorneBloodWarriors-2-WIP10.jpg

I also got my Mighty Lord of Khorne undercoated before I left for work this morning so once I've got my Blood Warriors finished I can crack straight into him.  I've set myself a deadline of the weekend of the 24th to get him (and his dog) fully painted which will place me at 800 points.  That will leave me with about two and a half weeks to get the remaining models painted to hit the magic 1000 points.  Still don't know what I want to paint for those remaining 200 points yet, but I'm going to get the Lord painted before I decide :)

Archived