Morathi, Chaos and Slaanesh

shinros

So yeah CA just revealed Morathi's traits for total war warhammer. Considering stuff added to the game is vetted by GW..... Read her abilities carefully. Of course people say she worships Arathi but her last actions during end times personally tells me differently. Oh yeah and her lands spread chaos corruption.

DJNZjfxWsAAD4W7.jpg:large

Now from a very old topic a post about how you would bring back slaanesh NOW this is still just speculation. I personally find this development interesting. 

From end times khaine

Morathi opens up the vortex to let the hand of slaanesh through I mean his/her literal hand

"Morathi saw the eye too, but in hermadness did not care. Indeed, she invited its gaze, casting ever wilder magics to tempt it nearer. She no longer feared oblivion in slaanesh's gullet. not if it would exhort the thirsting god to lay waste to all of Ulthuan. This would be her vegenace, perhaps even her apotheosis, for could not slaanesh's favour could be courted?

As the vortext shrank in on itself, so too did the rift at its heart, and a great ululating howl split the air as slaanesh realised he had been cheated on his feast. The vast, taloned hand groped frantically as the rift contracted, desperate to seize some vibrant morsel, Morathi at last realising her folly, backed away. She did not see Caledor approach. The mage held Morathi fast as the giant hand drew near. The sorceress shrieked, and tore at Caledor with nails and teeth. Blood ran as rivers down the mage's face, but still he held on, drawing her into the last embrace that either would ever know. Your race is run, child he said. Meet your end with the dignity of your heritage. Something in those words at last pierced Mortahi's madness, and she fell limp in caledor's arms. As the claws closed around them both, she screamed one last time and then there was silence.

Morathi and Malerion AOS very first campaign book and some speculation on slaanesh (takes place right after end times)

From the lands of shadow

The being that awoke in the shifting shadow was confused. Gone was his physical form and only slowly did memory of the world's ending returned. He could not control his solidity, which frustrated him. How long he wandered alone across a deary greyscape he knew not, but he feared his fate is to forever be less than shadow. Yet his anger mounted, his own rage gave him form. With his fury came greater corporeality and thus Malerion explored the thirteen domains of Ulgu, the Realm of shadow.

He discovered many creatures, yet could find none of his kind. Only when Malerion came upon a glade of shadow daemons did he feel a spark of recognition at the center of that bacchanal was his mother. Morathi was still flesh and blood, but changed. Theirs was a reunion full of recriminations and anger. Neither trusted the other, but an uneasy truce was reached. Together they united under sigmar, joining the great alliance. 

Bacchanal Definition. 

In my opinion using that word and she was doing that with shadow daemons sounds kinda like she is acting similar to a certain prince in my opinion. 

A devotee of Bacchus; one who indulges in drunken revels; one who is noisy and riotous when intoxicated; a carouser.  

(in the plural) The festival of Bacchus; the bacchanalia.

Drunken revelry; an orgy.

A reveler.

carousing

A song or a dance in honor of Bacchus.

Now finally this image that I made sure to save, the image GW gave us asking us what we think is going on with slaanesh in the white dwarf. 

aos-chaos-pantheon.jpg

Look at the image at the bottom what do you guys think?

1 hour ago, Iradekhorne said:

I think te mark of thath image seems the horned rat.

It's not. It looks nothing like his symbol. It looks more like a dark elf crown in my opinion. 

15 minutes ago, Burf said:

Who's Morathi? All I see is a sorceress on dark pegasus.

Well Morathi is still in the setting of the game she is mentioned in the first campaign book. :P

6 hours ago, shinros said:

Look at the image at the bottom what do you guys think?

The Great Horned Rat actually, without any speculation.

2 hours ago, Iradekhorne said:

I think te mark of thath image seems the horned rat.

This. GHR ascended to the godhood and became a part of the Great Chaos Pantheon, it's his personal symbol apart from the race symbol, so not Morathi even in the slightest.

And it matters not, what happened in the End Times or is happening in the TW:Warhammer has nothing to do with the actual plot.

1 hour ago, Menkeroth said:

This. GHR ascended to the godhood and became a part of the Great Chaos Pantheon, it's his personal symbol apart from the race symbol, so not Morathi even in the slightest.

And it matters not, what happened in the End Times or is happening in the TW:Warhammer has nothing to do with the actual plot.

i am quite curious to know why you think it's the symbol of the horned rat when it is never used in any lore material so far for AOS and whfb. It's not even shown  in the campaign books or the skaven pestelins battletome

Because Slaanesh is gone, his trone is empty, domain silent and his followers are scattered, vying for supremacy and serving other lords, and GHR is the 5th God of Chaos, no matter if you like it or not. His symbol is simple and logical, and nothing contradicts the fluff.

Her TW traits just seem to be an export of what her WFB rules were. I see nothing odd or revealing.

I do however think that in AoS she will be tied to Slaanesh. Most (if not all?) old characters that survived where Incarnates or had "godhood" connections. By deduction, if Morathi ended in Slaanesh realm during the ET and was well known to follow him/her since Aenarion times, and then appears in Ulgu, she must be protected/merged/envoyed/avatar of Slaanesh (unless GW introduces some changes in this aspect).

The symbol of the chaos pantheon at the bottom is also undeniably a connection with this. It looks just too much like the crown both Malekith and Morathi use to wear. If it was the Horned Rat, why not keep his classic symbol? And if it is a new Rat symbol, why does he have two with this one only appearing on this image? And obviously, why make it look so much alike the former dark elves? 

I don't pretend to know what unreleased fluff is, since GW has confirmed nothing and until Malekith & Co. appear, all is speculation. But the hints are there. 

The Horned Rat was already a god before being invited to the big kids' table (if only so the big kids' could take advantage of/laugh at him).

Besides, there have already been several discussions about what that symbol is, and it's patently obvious once you've tuned it upside down that it's not supposed to represent the Horned Rat or any kind of aelf/Slaanesh rehash, but...

Spoiler

STEVE, CHAOS GOD OF SPIDERS!!!

af6837f08f031186928e7c87c3fd0ade.gif

Because Slaanesh is gone, his trone is empty, domain silent and his followers are scattered, vying for supremacy and serving other lords, and GHR is the 5th God of Chaos, no matter if you like it or not. His symbol is simple and logical, and nothing contradicts the fluff.

He is the 5th chaos God never said he wasn't and the context of the image. What GW gave is a hint to what happened to slaanesh it's a hint. They said as such in the white dwarf they put this image in."where is the dark prince?" A black library editor has also said this is a plot line. As I said where is information that states it's the symbol of the horned rat? All you said is speculation in none of the AOS material has this symbol been used for the horned rat.

this is his symbol as shown in the AOS campaign book.

greathornedrat.png

Give me a source or material clearly showing it's the symbol of the horned rat otherwise what you are saying is baseless speculation or guessing. Considering the fact that even though slaanesh is missing it is stated in novels he is a part of the pantheon. In the slaanesh short story they allude to the fact slaanesh may of allowed itself to be captured. In the grand alliance chaos tome in the slaanesh section they state it's a mystery why slaanesh champions are still empowered and marked.

4 hours ago, Burf said:

Who's Morathi? All I see is a sorceress on dark pegasus.

You didn't play WHFB, did you?

Morathi was a named charakter in Warhammer Fantasy Battle for the Dark elves faction. She is the mother of Malekith (in AoS actually known by the name Malerion, but haven't much background yet). In an old edition where they make such thing like the endtimes first (called "storm of chaos") there was a faction called "Slaaneshcult" that contained dark elves, chaos warriors and chaos daemons of slaanesh and Morathi was part of it. She had actually 2 models. Here can you see both models. Actually I have the first model from 5. Edtion WHFB but didn't know that it was her, because in 7. Edtion, when I started playing whfb, that model was sold as a regular sorceress.

The only thing we know about Morathi in AoS is the part that Shinros has posted in his initial post.

Hope this helps you to get some information.

2 minutes ago, EMMachine said:

Morathi was a named charakter in Warhammer Fantasy Battle for the Dark elves faction. She is the mother of Malekith (in AoS actually known by the name Malerion, but haven't much background yet). In an old edition where they make such thing like the endtimes first (called "storm of chaos") there was a faction called "Slaaneshcult" that contained dark elves, chaos warriors and chaos daemons of slaanesh and Morathi was part of it. She had actually 2 models. Here can you see both models. Actually I have the first model from 5. Edtion WHFB but didn't know that it was her, because in 7. Edtion, when I started playing whfb, that model was sold as a regular sorceress.

The only thing we know about Morathi in AoS is the part that Shinros has posted in his initial post.

Yup and the fact ca made her blessed by the chaos gods and she spreads chaos corruption. Considering stuff added to the game is vetted by GW they pretty much ignored the Arathi retcon. Also it's suspect she is taken by a God that devours elves and she pops up in AOS "changed" yet she is still flesh and blood. She is not a god in AOS.

I actually liked the idea of the slaanesh cult (even the rules didn't exist in 7. Edition. I just have my my dark elves in a horrible purple, magenta, pink colortheme. Even if I would convert them to AoS I couldn't play a slaanesh cult like in the old world (mostly in matched play), because I couldn't mix order and chaos factions).

11 minutes ago, shinros said:

Also it's suspect she is taken by a God that devours elves and she pops up in AOS "changed" yet she is still flesh and blood. She is not a god in AOS.

She is not the only one. I think Teclis wasn't called a god, if I remembered correcty. Only his brother Tyrion.

But exept of the Alarielle and the Sylvaneth we don't have much content about aelfs in general after 2 years and 2 months of AoS.

4 minutes ago, EMMachine said:

I actually liked the idea of the slaanesh cult (even the rules didn't exist in 7. Edition. I just have my my dark elves in a horrible purple, magenta, pink colortheme. Even if I would convert them to AoS I couldn't play a slaanesh cult like in the old world (mostly in matched play), because I couldn't mix order and chaos factions).

She is not the only one. I think Teclis wasn't called a god, if I remembered correcty. Only his brother Tyrion.

But exept of the Alarielle and the Sylvaneth we don't have much content about aelfs in general after 2 years and 2 months of AoS.

Well teclis is a part of tyrion so to speak. I personally think it will be interesting if Morathi is the vehicle for the aelf conflict for the setting. I think GW are saving the new aelf range for a big story arch.

Also I do hope they go the route of Morathi being slaaneshi because I like the fact chaos can get to anyone. Also if anyone can become the new slaanesh I feel it's her. It's just the fact ca has also been tight lipped on Morathi's mechanics. She spreads chaos corruption and her skills show her connection to chaos. Gav changed Morathi to be a Arathi follower in 8th because he did not like chaos elves yet to me there are hints GW seems to be moving away from that.

Morathi seeking ancension from slaanesh when her plot hits the fan her being fine after being spirited away from slaanesh. Of course some dark elf fans are upset CA did this to Morathi but I think it will be more interesting.

1 hour ago, Aelfric said:

That's assuming Malerian also serves order, which is so far undetermined. Who knows, they could be the founders of a fifth Grand Alliance.  What happens when you mix order and chaos?

Nah, I think he will be order I think it's likely the two aelf heroes from sliver tower are from his faction. Now slaanesh release being a mix of aelves and humans? Yes please. 

Morathi could end up being heavily involved in the return of Slaanesh based on her history, and how she was last seen in the End Times. But honestly, there's a lot of stuff from WFB and even the End Times that didn't really go anywhere (read: Settra). And the new incarnations of characters are certainly somewhat distanced from their old lives, so the door's really wide open on what GW could do with Morathi.

We know Morathi and Malekith/Malerion exist, but that's pretty much it - all we know about a Slaanesh arc is "something will happen, at some point". Sure, Morathi could be a huge part of it, and personally I hope she is! A Slaanesh campaign focusing on the conflict between different aelf factions in a sort of Second Sundering would be absolutely amazing.

But on the other hand, it's equally (if not more...) likely an aelf/Slaanesh campaign will be all about Sigmar releasing a new chamber of Stormcasts to stop the return of Slaanesh and reestablish the alliance with Malerion. In this instance it's very possible Morathi would have no more importance to the overall story than say, Drycha did after the Sylvaneth release.

Put simply, there are a lot of opportunities regarding Morathi and Slaanesh... but nothing is certain at this point, and I don't think fluff from WFB or even the AoS launch gives us many clues.

17 hours ago, EMMachine said:

Hey come back! The joke's over here! No this way! The joke's this way! No not behind the toolshed! Aww now ya missed it entirely! Lol

Archived