Anyone else feel the same about second hand figures?

Tomir

10 hours ago, Kugane said:

Does it leave residue in edges by any chance? Or does it remove everything easily? :) What about primers?

It took everything down to bare plastic when I used it, and I've used it a few times now.

The thicker the paint, the longer it will take the come off, and it could leave some primer in the deepest recesses of the model, but you can always soak again if you want something 100% clean. A toothpick helps get to the places the toothbrush may struggle to.

It rinses off with water as well, so its super easy to tidy up.

2 hours ago, DeadlySarcasm said:

It took everything down to bare plastic when I used it, and I've used it a few times now.

The thicker the paint, the longer it will take the come off, and it could leave some primer in the deepest recesses of the model, but you can always soak again if you want something 100% clean. A toothpick helps get to the places the toothbrush may struggle to.

It rinses off with water as well, so its super easy to tidy up.

In my experience anything that strips paint well from plastic models tends to soften the plastic enough to lose some detail. Might be this stuff doesn't, but I've all but given up stripping paint from plastic models.

3 minutes ago, tom_gore said:

In my experience anything that strips paint well from plastic models tends to soften the plastic enough to lose some detail. Might be this stuff doesn't, but I've all but given up stripping paint from plastic models.

I completely understand, but I implore you try it! There are a few of us down here in Dorset that now swear by the stuff (including a couple of award winning painters).

There are a few YouTube vids out there that show it in action, and I was really surprised by the results!

11 minutes ago, DeadlySarcasm said:

I completely understand, but I implore you try it! There are a few of us down here in Dorset that now swear by the stuff (including a couple of award winning painters).

There are a few YouTube vids out there that show it in action, and I was really surprised by the results!

Might be a problem getting it here in Finland. We tend to have one of the strictest restrictions of chemicals sold to households in the world, but I'll take a look :)

I love how this topic took off.

*yaaaay first sucessfull one ;)*

second hand browsing is lighting my cravings.

i dont buy off ebay though becouse we have a 25% import tax and you have to pay a fee for the taxation. (For everything above 35$ including shipment). But my country have one online marketplace that everyone use (even for sellling houses) and there is no biddong function so theres that. :P

found this today on said site for 20$

Suddenly feel the crave for some lizard folks. :P

IMG_2418.PNG

I'll say it here like I have elsewhere, I highly, HIGHLY recommend Simple Green to strip paint acrylic paint off of models.  If you live in the USA (and I think Canada and Australia can find versions of it) it is what I would use, especially above anything like brake fluid.

"But BunkhouseBuster," you may be thinking, "why should I use Simple Green?"  Well, I can give you a list of reasons:

- It's non-toxic

- It's environmentally friendly (at least on the package)

- It won't damage the models long term

- I can pour it down the drain when down soaking the models

- It can get blood, grass, grease, and other stains out of your laundry

I realize that there are other cleaners that might work as well, but I have not used any others that work as well nor are as safe as Simple Green.  Plus, I use it all the time to wash laundry.  As a matter of fact, learning that Simple Green could strip the paint off of models is literally what sold me on the entire hobby or wargaming, since I was concerned with painting a model the wrong color and wondered how to clean the paint off of them.  Turns out the stuff that my family has been using for nearly 3 decades now is handy for more than just laundry :)

Only time I had any issues with it was once I had left a Finecast (GW resin, not Forge World) model in for longer than necessary, and it was soft and pliable after that.  It eventually stiffened back to normal, so I wouldn't worry too much about that, especially since GW has improved their resin in the 4 or 5 years since then.

Generally the only thing buying second-hand miniatures make me feel is despair when the models' previous owner fully assembled them but didn't bother to clean up mold lines and even bits of attached sprue...and don't get started on the ones slathered with a pound of super glue...

On the other hand, it's awesome when you get  NOS/NIB minis or clean stuff that's in proper sub-assemblies. :x

Most of the stuff I get second-hand are out-of-print models though, like my precious Tomb Kings!

It's cheap enough to just buy from retailers at 15-20% off (if you don't have to pay shipping), and I feel a warm, fuzzy feeling buying from my FLGS, so I'm not overly concerned with saving cash on second-hand stuff. I'd feel silly for passing up an amazing deal if I find one though--no regrets/pity/guilt felt if I can get stuff at 50%+ off! xD

I vary greatly depending on what the state/quality is.  I enjoy assembling models and am really pedantic about mold lines and smooth joins, so it's very rare I'll buy second hand if they're assembled/painted.  New on sprue (or part on sprue) I'm all good with though! 

If I'm only after something for kitbashing or terrain, I may pick up pre-assembled.

Most model purchases are through a third party, though I don't have an issue with picking up direct from GW.

Beyond Warhammer, I always have a preference for buying new, even though it costs more. It bugs me to buy anything someone else has already owned and used. However, in the times I have bought secondhand, I've usually been surprised with how happy I am about it, so I think it's more of a problem with me personally than the quality of material.

On 9/6/2017 at 4:59 AM, Tomir said:

Ive gotten an habit of checking the most common online marketplace sites anf apps for my location for secondhand figures. Anyone else do this?

i especially like oder models that are no longer available.

Sometimes i feel a little bad for not supporting my local GW shop. My country only have one and theyve beeen really helpfull helping me get started again.

Also do anyone else here feel lile buying second hand minatures to "rescue" them?

I cant buy mintures that are better painted then i can paint myself. Only buy unpainted/badly painted models.

I'm actually the complete opposite. If it has previous paint on it, sometimes even something I painted earlier, but definitely if there was a bad primer job, I have to start over from the primer, and even then I sometimes just want to toss the model away (not worth throwing the chore to someone else)

I just recently bought 20 Juan Diaz' designed Daemonettes for only 30 Euros on eBay.

It's just such a better modeled miniature in my eyes, got no interest in the new ones. No better place than ebay fpr such things.

If GW themselves would make them build to order again I would probably buy them from their hompage thou.

Archived