Let's Chat: Nighthaunt

Rid

2 minutes ago, Silverline said:

Interestingly,  they lack the ability to toss out mortal wounds like Hosts can - heck, even the Executioner doesn't have that ability. It will be interesting to see if the current Nighthaunt units will keep that ability or not, or if it is simply goimg to be much less prevalent in the army than originally thought 

Does AoS have factionwide rules like in 40k? Could it be there? The original faction focus seemed to imply that mortal wounds were their thing. 

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes aos has faction rules 

For legions of Nagash it's a 6+ invul save and the grave sites and some legion specific rules 

So maybe the mortal wound rule is one of it be on the other side they could do the same with the ethereal rule witch every unit had so far

It may be because having a starter box where stormcast, supposingly resilient guys in armor are pitted against a anti-elite army with mortal wounds that bypass many rules of the game and make stormcast resilience non-revelant was not deemed as a good idea

4 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

On a design point of view, the new and the old doesn't really match except if you heavily make them the same colours...

I think they match well with the Cairn Wraith model - it feels like that's the one they used as inspiration. The ghostly flying spirit things surrounding the executioner look similar to spirit hosts as well. 

18 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

On a design point of view, the new and the old doesn't really match except if you heavily make them the same colours...

12 minutes ago, Lemondish said:

I think they match well with the Cairn Wraith model - it feels like that's the one they used as inspiration. The ghostly flying spirit things surrounding the executioner look similar to spirit hosts as well. 

I think its more of the Hex Wraiths who have been forced onto a Dual Kit with Black Knights so theres only so much wiggle room.

IIRC on my warhammer releases in terms of Nighthaunt model releases...

7th edition initial: Hex Wraiths

Initial wave of plastic heroes: Carin Wraith and Banshee (also remember that in a weird way Carin wraiths and banshees were normally a unit which was expensive as all heck)

8th edition initial: None (?) unless you count the new plastic heroes from before or the Mortis Engine.

The End Times: Spirit Hosts
(yes, it took The End Times to replace these awful  things

Spoiler

1381050238414.jpg

So Nighthaunt models were sprinkled throughout WFB's timeline given they weren't really a full faction.

1 hour ago, kenshin620 said:

I honestly still don't have any idea why they have the Malignant keyword.

malignant is a racial keyword that means 'is a ghost'.  Nighthaunt is a faction keyword that means 'is part of the ghosty faction'.  Nearly all members of the all-ghost faction will themselves be ghosts, so nearly all nighthaunts will also be malignants, so almost all of those models will have both keywords.  However, a model that is a ghost or a group model mostly consisting of ghosts but is not part of the ghost faction would have the malignant but not the nighthaunt keywords.  eg, the mortis engine.

Same as the skeleton keyword.  Arkhan the Black is a skeleton, and so he has the skeleton keyword, but is not part of the skeleton faction, and so he does not have the deathrattle keyword.

Or consider the ghoul faction, the flesh eater courts.  'Mordant' is the racial keyword for ghouls.  Almost all flesh eater courts units are ghouls and thus have the mordant keyword.  However, their leaders are the ghoul kings, which are actually vampires, not ghouls, and as such have the flesh eater court faction keyword and the vampire racial keyword, and do not have the mordant keyword.

2 hours ago, Thostos said:

Chainrasp hordes have "Any number of models" as a unit size,,yet they also have the "summonable" keyword,,how many do you bring in?

The summonable keyword doesn't actually do anything in and of itself.  Rather it is a utility keyword that other rules can refer to.  For instance, since the chainrasps are summonable, they can be targeted by the signature spells of the spirit guardian or necromancer, both of which can only target summonable units.  Likewise, a necromancer, vampire, or wight king could heal them with their deathly invocation ability, which also targets summonable units.  If you take them in a Legions of Nagash army, you can choose to set aside any number of summonable units instead of deploying them normally, then use your heroes to 'summon' them up from one of your gravesites during the game.

I guess that makes sense on keywords, but still quite confusing to new players who may have haphazardly bought a Start Collecting Malignant box only to find there isn't actually a Malignant army/book. That would almost be like a Start Collecting Duradin box that has dispossessed and fyreslayers!

Heck new people are still confused about Chaos. Book is called Blades of Khorne...but the faction allegiance is technically just "Khorne" which includes Khorne Bloodbound and Daemons of Khorne. And then we have the Nurgle allegiance which includes everything from Clan Pestilines, a completely separate battletome!

Chainrasp hordes have "Any number of models" as a unit size,,yet they also have the "summonable" keyword,,how many do you bring in?

For matched play the min-max number of models per unit are listed along the point cost, not on the warscrolls.

21 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

I think its more of the Hex Wraiths who have been forced onto a Dual Kit with Black Knights so theres only so much wiggle room.

IIRC on my warhammer releases in terms of Nighthaunt model releases...

7th edition initial: Hex Wraiths

Initial wave of plastic heroes: Carin Wraith and Banshee (also remember that in a weird way Carin wraiths and banshees were normally a unit which was expensive as all heck)

8th edition initial: None (?) unless you count the new plastic heroes from before or the Mortis Engine.

The End Times: Spirit Hosts
(yes, it took The End Times to replace these awful  things

Reveal hidden contents

1381050238414.jpg

So Nighthaunt models were sprinkled throughout WFB's timeline given they weren't really a full faction.

Actually, all the current plastic ghosts were 8th edition and End Times releases. Hexwraiths did not even exist prior to 8th, and most of the other stuff was metal. Though the 8th edition undead overhaul (which was actually very extensive) happened over 6 years ago, while the End Times stuff was just over 3.

On 6/4/2018 at 4:57 AM, Sception said:

Also there may be nighthaunt battalions that include the mortis engine.

If the battalion includes the ME, but the ME does not gain the Nighthaunt keyword, do we spend ally points for the battalion?

1 minute ago, AverageBoss said:

Actually, all the current plastic ghosts were 8th edition and End Times releases. Hexwraiths did not even exist prior to 8th, and most of the other stuff was metal. Though the 8th edition undead overhaul (which was actually very extensive) happened over 6 years ago, while the End Times stuff was just over 3.

Man I cant remember jack diddly!

I guess I forgot exactly what occurred in 7th due to massive PTSD from the over powered fear rules!

The two Morghast warscrolls have the same wording on unit size  in matched play it's still 2-6 per unit

1 minute ago, Ahn-ket said:

The two Morghast warscrolls have the same wording on unit size  in matched play it's still 2-6 per unit

Just adding that I still don't see anything that allows death to bring new models to the table.  I just see more "returns" which to me means whatever you paid for in points is what you get back.

2 minutes ago, grungolah said:

Just adding that I still don't see anything that allows death to bring new models to the table.  I just see more "returns" which to me means whatever you paid for in points is what you get back.

Technically you get another unit of the same price to your army after they a dead but my quote wasn't related to summoning it was for the the wording on the chain rasp horde that it could be any number of model and it's meaning for marched play

Just now, Ahn-ket said:

Technically you get another unit of the same price to your army after they a dead but my quote wasn't related to summoning it was for the the wording on the chain rasp horde that it could be any number of model and it's meaning for marched play

Unless they change the pitched battle profiles setup, minimums and maximums are posted there.  Maybe they stopped doubling up?

29 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

I guess that makes sense on keywords, but still quite confusing to new players who may have haphazardly bought a Start Collecting Malignant box only to find there isn't actually a Malignant army/book. That would almost be like a Start Collecting Duradin box that has dispossessed and fyreslayers!

While you're absolutely correct on the malignant box, those units are all technically legal within a Legion of Nagash army, though it's a poor starting place due to the lack of battle line models.

And nighthaunt will probably be getting a new start collecting edition all of their own pretty soon.

3 minutes ago, Sception said:

the thorny rose vines still have me thinking Isabella.

True, I think it is out of those two characters. I am leaning on Isabella because of her mortarch title, but I would personally prefer her to be a whole new character. 

Archived