Lets chat Soulblight

TerrorPenguin

1 hour ago, Acid_Nine said:

Well, according to the leaks on War of sigmar, Soulblight got a steak in it's heart. Bloodnights lost the banner ability to bring back one model, now instead giving -1 battle shock (yay, something half the game ignores anyways), the Vamp lord lost it's signature spell, and gained a new ability to bring back / heal models, but that only works on summonable models so no healing for the bloodknights there either. 

course this has to happen when I finally got 2,000 points of them together.

Soulblight is also the only of the GHB factions that will get their rules revised in the new battletome, so I wouldn't make hasty decisions before seeing the whole picture. At least the named vampire lord looks quite tough and the new Blood coven doesn't look too bad either. If I were to guess, the summonable keyword mechanisms have some tweak in the soulblight allegiance, as there isn't a whole lot of summonable stuff in the faction and a lot of the abilities are keyed on that keyword.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Vampire lord losing it's signature spell does seem to hint at them getting their own spell lore. 

If it comes with a hefty points reduction on blood knights as well, the army might end up better overall... If all the extra bonusses/traits/artifacts are good at least. 

18 hours ago, Jamopower said:

Soulblight is also the only of the GHB factions that will get their rules revised in the new battletome, so I wouldn't make hasty decisions before seeing the whole picture. At least the named vampire lord looks quite tough and the new Blood coven doesn't look too bad either. If I were to guess, the summonable keyword mechanisms have some tweak in the soulblight allegiance, as there isn't a whole lot of summonable stuff in the faction and a lot of the abilities are keyed on that keyword.

Alright, that's fair, but how would those deathly incantations work? do you have to roll 2d3 per unit and pray they both come up as a 6 in order to put one model back? that just seems like a crapton of work just to bring one guy back, and if that's at the lost of the bloodline powers then it's going to hurt even more cause swift death was a great mechanical thing to play around with.

So I finally have enough models to make a (poor) soulblight army before Malign Portents comes out. While I know my list will probably change when Legions of Nagash comes out I wanna do a few test games to start learning and this is the list I came up with (Note my Command Trait and Artifacts I just randomly picked, as I don't know what is best)

Allegiance: Soulblight (1460/1500)
- Bloodline: Swift Death
Leaders
Vampire Lord On Zombie Dragon (440)
- General
- Command Trait : Red Fury
- Deathlance & Shield
- Artefact : Sigil of the Sanguine Throne
Vampire Lord (140)
- Flying Horror
Units
5 x Grave Guard (80)
-Great Wight Blade
- Allies
5 x Blood Knights (260)
3 x Vargheists (160)
3 x Vargheists (160)
2 x Morghast Archai (220)
- Allies 

2 hours ago, Rhivan said:

So I finally have enough models to make a (poor) soulblight army before Malign Portents comes out. While I know my list will probably change when Legions of Nagash comes out I wanna do a few test games to start learning and this is the list I came up with (Note my Command Trait and Artifacts I just randomly picked, as I don't know what is best)

Leaders
- General
- Deathlance & Shield
Vampire Lord (140)
- Flying Horror
Units
5 x Grave Guard (80)
-Great Wight Blade
- Allies
5 x Blood Knights (260)
3 x Vargheists (160)
3 x Vargheists (160)
- Allies 

I think Grave Guard Generally aren't considered too great, you might wanna take fell bats instead for the good movement (I've converted some proxies out of demonettes and tyranid gargoyle wings to be like flying gargoyle statues as actual fell bats are expensive and ugly as sin) though if you're restricted by models then they might be alright for holding a backfield objective as they're cheap(ish). I used a unit of 20 zombies recently because I had 120 points spare who did nothing but hold an objective so my blood knights and vargs could rush in.

As Ahn-Ket stated you cannot take two of the same artefact and only taking battalions will give you extra. Personally I like mist form as the trait on my zombie dragon so I can hit and run a lot with the deathlance. Constantly getting that charge bonus on it is great and I can dart between units to get up to backfield objectives and/or heroes. The goblet is also useful as gaining 2+/2+ on the deathlance is awesome especially with the command ability to reroll your hits. My dragon became a killing machine with those. Also mystic shield is great for the Lord on dragon as it gets you up to a 2+ save with your shield.

The extra vampire lord should be good for spreading deathless thralls, getting you an extra spellcaster and has a nice unique spell. The morghast are a good choice in my opinion as they can really kick ass. I normally do two units of 5 blood knights and only 3 varg's because that's what I have models for but I can see 2 units of varg's working. They become a lot better with the dragon's command ability too.

Also swift death bloodline is always a great choice. The +2 movement and flying bloodknights is very useful. I very much enjoyed my 16" movement zombie dragon lord for darting up to the backfield during scorched earth.

15 hours ago, Rhivan said:

Leaders
- General
- Deathlance & Shield
Vampire Lord (140)
- Flying Horror
Units
5 x Grave Guard (80)
-Great Wight Blade
- Allies
5 x Blood Knights (260)
3 x Vargheists (160)
3 x Vargheists (160)
- Allies 

As a simple run down:

- Drop the Grave guard

- Swap the Archai for Harbingers - or potentially drop them, are they doing a different job than Blood Knights or Vargheists in your games? If not, replace with BKs or VGs

- Try and work in some Dire Wolves / Fell Bats

- VL on Nightmare > VL w/ flying horror, especially if you're taking Swift Death

• 1 month later...

Now that LoN is out, has anyone revisited Soulblight since they now benefit from the added spell lore of vampires?

Allegiance: Soulblight

Leaders
Vampire Lord On Zombie Dragon (440)
- General
- Deathlance & Shield & Chalice
- Trait: Mist Form 
- Artefact: Sigil of the Sanguine Throne 
- Lore of the Vampires: Amethystine Pinions
Vampire Lord (140)
- Mount: Flying Horror
- Lore of the Vampires: Amaranthine Orb
Vampire Lord (140)
- Mount: Flying Horror
- Lore of the Vampires: Spirit Gale

Battleline
5 x Blood Knights (260)
- Soulblight Battleline
5 x Blood Knights (260)
- Soulblight Battleline
5 x Blood Knights (260)
- Soulblight Battleline
30 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Spears

Units
3 x Vargheists (160)
2 x Bat Swarms (80)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Allies: 280 / 400
Wounds: 121

Bat Swarms for objective grabbing, distraction, and shooting debuffs, and now that they're SUMMONABLE, they can be healed... which is useful considering they are 5 wounds/base.

A single massive regiment for objective taking as needed, and Vampire Lords for restoring wounds to the Skeletons and Bats.  It's very possible to invest more into a large numbers of skeletons/zombies, but I wanted to keep the "elite" feel of the army.

Archived