Nighthaunt post GHB2

eduboy

Sup guys! Im going to celebrate new GHB and start new army, thats going to be Nighthaunts (because ghosts are awesome) What do you guys think would be right way to play them? Here is quick list which I made. Do you guys think Black Coach can be playable?

3 Banshees

2 Wraiths

Count Mannfred w/ horse

3x3 Spirit Hosts

2x5 Hexwraiths

2 Mournguls

C&C are welcome.

19 minutes ago, AverageBoss said:

Manfred is now just a Vampire Lord according to the new compendium update.

Mourngul is imo not really worth it for a 400 point tarpit (which is has become with its new update).

it's the mannfredd on horse, the mannfred on Abyssal terror still remain what he is csuse it's in GA:D volume

11 hours ago, assfor said:

mournghoul are hard nerfed, you not have any damage to kill anithing :( i'm not belive nighthound is viable

I didn't see any Nerfs on Mourngul. What are changes? 

I think a Black Coach is playable. Give it the Commandtrait Horroble Thing (-1 to Bravery in 6'' to enemy units) (Grauenhaftes Wesen) and stick it with a Mourngul to debuff enemy units.

Thank you. Ouch. It get nerfed hard.

• Rend -1 (old was -2)
  • -1 to hit (old was -1 / -2 when bravery was 6 or less)
  • no more additional attacks. Damage increased for 6's from 2 to 3 
  • built in Feel no Pain on 5+ (old was ignore Mortal Wounds on 4+)

Mourngul get a bit more tankier with the builtin feel no pain, but get rid of a good amount of damage

So tinkering with a 1000 point list:

1 Cairn Wraith (General) - Terrifying Entity (-1 bravery w/ 6") & Tomb Blade (One free unbinding resistant summoning)

3 x Banshee

2 x Spirit Hosts (3 per unit)

1 x Spirit Hosts (6 models)

1 x Morghast Harbringers (summon via TB to keep allegiance)

1000 points

The Cons

1. The wraith is an easy target and can be killed before the TB is activated.
  2. Need to confirm the TB is even an option (keeping thinking I got that wrong).
  3. The only real damage output comes from the Harbringers.
  4. In Total Conquest the list starts with a strong disadvantage (lack 20+ model unit).

Questions

1. Would it be better to drop a banshee and swap the TB for Midnight Tome or Pendant of the Fell Wind?
  2. Seems a lot of folks like running 2 x 6 model units of Spirit Hosts vs 4 x 3 model units, but I like the flexibility 2 smaller units provides.  What are the pros/cons of the different unit sizes?
  3. Do Hexwraith have a place in the list at a 1000 points?  If so, what do they replace?

Personally, I really was hoping AoS would get some sort of alteration to protect infantry heroes from being sniped like 40k with GH2, imo a wraith as general just feels too vulnerable to be a general. Any opponent I play would have him dead on turn 1 unless I hid him the whole game behind terrain, and even then there are so many ranged abilities that don't need LoS. Unfortunately, that leaves few options for nighthaunt.  I tend to agree with Bademeister that a black coach may be the best bet now, it isn't godlike by any means but at least it can take a bit more of a punch than a lone Wraith before going down. 

Played a Dwarf & fireslayer army last week with the list below, ignore rend is so OP and literally ground things into the ground & mortal wounded things to death with the spirit hosts & screams

i run;

banshee - midnight tome & re roll deep strike

3x banshees

2 x wraiths

5x hex wraiths

5x hex wraiths

6 x spirit hosts

6 x spirit hosts

6 x spirit hosts

3x spirit hosts

1x mourngul

a character for each pack, banshee screams, deep strike depending on scenario

just working out for a big massed ranked unit, working out whats better 30 skellies with spears vs 40 zombies & drop a unit 6 spirit hosts

1 hour ago, Josh said:

Just working out for a big massed ranked unit, working out whats better 30 skellies with spears vs 40 zombies & drop a unit 6 spirit hosts

I don't think either are an option if you want to play Nighthaunts.  I believe only soulblight and deathlords can be allies.  You can summon either, but not at the unit sizes you are suggesting.  Maybe I am missing something?:D

I've been working on my Wife's list. Thinking about;

black Coach w/ lingering spirit, midnight tome

3x Cairn Wraith

3x 6 spirit Hosts

2x 5 Hexwraiths 

mourngul

allied Coven Throne (thankfully she hadn't assembled the Mortis engine yet).

Total: 2,000

With lingering spirit and mystic shield the Coach gets a 2+ save, or it can bolt something. Yeah it's polishing a ****** at this point, but it's the most survivable HQ with 7 wounds.

The coven throne can do some damage and can basically turn off a unit with it's spell.

This is what I am thinking about for right now. Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Malakree said:

If lack of large units is an issue could you keep some points back then attempt to summon up some skeles or zambies during the game itself? Is that to risky a proposition.

Personally, I'd define it as too risky as the only way to get a wizard that can summon them in a pure Nighthaunt list is through the Midnight Tomb, which means the entire summoning pool depends on the survival of a single 5 wound model. 

In terms of large units for Nighthaunt I honestly think large Hexwraiths are the way to go. A unit of 15 gives you 30 wounds, with a 4+ (can be buffed to 3+ ignoring rend save). 2 attacks each gives decent dmg output, and the retreat ability allows you to play around with mortal wound spam while staying close to an objective. The enemy will also probably freak out about the size of the unit and its ability to do dmg while retreating so it gives your spirit hosts the opportunity to get mortal wounds off on smaller elite units. 

I hvnt play tested this yet but it seems like it could work a treat.

Here is a list I've been thinking of.

Allegiance: Nighthaunt

Characters  

General : Cairn Wraith (Command Ability, Ruler of the Spirit Hosts)

Cairn Wraith (Magic Item, Lightshard of the Harvest Moon)

Cairn Wraith 

Banshee

Coven Throne

Vampire lord (flying horror)

Units

15 Hexwraiths

9 Spirit Hosts

6 Spirit Hosts

6 Spirit Hosts

Total 1980 points

The list is designed so its got 2 tarpits (hexwraiths and coven throne), and loads of mortal wound output.  The coven throne and vampire allow me to save on picking up the  midnight tome and instead get re-rolls to hit for a turn, while still having the ability to cast 2 spells during a turn.

Hexwraiths can contest an objective and can use retreat moves to whittle away units.

The unit of 9 spirit hosts will be the main dmg dealer. the aim is to buff them (+1 save) and get them into combat using allegiance ability to put them in a threatening position.  I would then summon the cairn wraith with the magic item when I need the unit to really put out the hurt. 

Evidently the list has weaknesses but I think it can create  major headaches.

Let me know what you think!

Ashtyn I like the list other than the coven throne, it just doesn't feel worth the pts to me. Seems like a lot of pts to get a single spell cast wizard with a crappy spell and really mediocre close combat effectiveness. Imo Arkhan is a better option than a throne + vampire for similar pts if the goal is to get some casting in the mix. 

Cheers mate! I had considered Arkhan, but my main issue with using Arkhan is you lose a tarpit against a high dmg enemy target.  Beguile is a great threat, that can make an enemy think about tageting the model and limiting the dmg your spirit hosts / Nighthaunt characters take. The other issue with Arkhan is he is 1 model, as opposed to two. Which limits your movement options and causes more issues with landing spells due to range and enemy threats, he also doesn't get a cover save while the vampire lord does. The re-roll the coven throne gives can also help in a clutch magic phase.

Arkhan's positives include curse of years, which can scare the pants off some people, I think its only a 10% chance that you'll roll down to the dreaded 1+ but that fear alone will cause him to be a priority target. Unfortunately once hes dead, no more casters means no more arcane shields. 

Thematically I'd love Arkhan to be in the list, although if I do go ahead and build this list, I'll be converting a mortis engine into a coven throne so it fits the theme a little better (just add the scrying pool and the banshees around the cushions.).

Archived