Let's Chat: Seraphon 2017

tolstedt

Couple of quick questions:

- The Eternal Starhost damage buff for the Saurus Guard weapons reads as if they only get it in your own combat phase after you haven't moved or charged. I presume this doesn't apply during your opponent's turn? Would be real handy to have if you were getting charged!

- The Ripperdactyls Voracious Appetite rule seems to have taken quite a hit with the new rules of one. Can they still pull their own weight without that? Seems like you can only get a max of 18 hits on the beaks (if you're very lucky) with a unit of 3.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, J.J said:

Couple of quick questions:

- The Eternal Starhost damage buff for the Saurus Guard weapons reads as if they only get it in your own combat phase after you haven't moved or charged. I presume this doesn't apply during your opponent's turn? Would be real handy to have if you were getting charged!

- The Ripperdactyls Voracious Appetite rule seems to have taken quite a hit with the new rules of one. Can they still pull their own weight without that? Seems like you can only get a max of 18 hits on the beaks (if you're very lucky) with a unit of 3.

- Nope, as you quoted ".. they only get it in your OWN combat phase after you haven't moved or charged .. "

- Well they don't without the toad. What happens now, is that the tax for their combo simply costs 140p more. You place another 3 on the table from turn 1 and use their toad instead. Less powerful for sure but far from being weak or not good.

Hey all!

Trying to build a tournament competitive list and trying to find the most competitive options for the rest of my army!

So one thing I have found competitive is doing the Sunclaw Batallion with large blocks of Saurus warriors and use this as the backbone of my army:

1 sunblood  (120)

40 x saurus warriors w/spears (360)

40x saurus warriors w/spears (360)

10x saurus warriors w/clubs (100)

Battalion  (130)

1070 points

I currently own the models below  and I am trying to figure out the best combination:

2 bastis

1 carno

20 guard

1 astrolith bearer

1 eternity warden

1 slann

1 starseer

2 starpriests

15 knights (never ever use them)

10 skinks with blowpipes

potential allies

judicators ?

raptors with longstrike crossbows?

Any suggestions on how to fill the other 930 points? Is it worth dropping the sunclaw battalion and playing just 2 blocks of 40 saurus warriors?I am struggling to make an optimal list outside my backbone of 40 saurus blocks, I have found the guard to be pretty decent but also pretty reliant on positioning.

6 hours ago, etlm1987 said:

Hey all!

Trying to build a tournament competitive list and trying to find the most competitive options for the rest of my army!

So one thing I have found competitive is doing the Sunclaw Batallion with large blocks of Saurus warriors and use this as the backbone of my army:

1 sunblood  (120)

40 x saurus warriors w/spears (360)

40x saurus warriors w/spears (360)

10x saurus warriors w/clubs (100)

Battalion  (130)

1070 points

I currently own the models below  and I am trying to figure out the best combination:

2 bastis

1 carno

20 guard

1 astrolith bearer

1 eternity warden

1 slann

1 starseer

2 starpriests

15 knights (never ever use them)

10 skinks with blowpipes

potential allies

judicators ?

raptors with longstrike crossbows?

Any suggestions on how to fill the other 930 points? Is it worth dropping the sunclaw battalion and playing just 2 blocks of 40 saurus warriors?I am struggling to make an optimal list outside my backbone of 40 saurus blocks, I have found the guard to be pretty decent but also pretty reliant on positioning.

Hello there !

Your hammer consists of 2 really strong units that HAVE to attack FIRST. What you need now is magic, the anvil and some shooting.

A starpriest. I never ever leave home without it, an incredible asset for all purposes. Summon starlight is huge.

A slann. Global dispell is something way more useful than one would realise. 3 spells : mystic shield to be spammed, same as arcane bolt *our only mw pretty much at this list* and his GLOBAL spell that you get to roll 2 dices for battleshock. Really reeaaaaaally important for the blobs. Not to mention +1 spell or +1 run / charge * at this list, you'll probably need this mostly * 

2 Bastiladons. Shooting all around and can be the anvil to stop almost anything if buffed.

Having lots of experience with Sunclaw and I would let you know of 2 things : 

1. It is way stronger than most people realise until they try it.

2. You must be really careful with the blobs. They are really tough to be used and if used incorrectly, they'll begone to dust before long and your army will cripple. 

1970p and a  5 drop list. If you feel it'll help, you can just go for the summon starpriest and 4drop.

This list has huge potential ( haven't tried 2 blobs yet due to lack of models ) If you do get to test it, please give us the battle report !

Getting ready for a 1500pt tournament:

I'm not sure if I need 3 battleline (the TO may state you only require 2 instead) so if it's not required then I will turn one unit of Saurus Knights into 100 Reinforcement points.

Leaders
Slann Starmaster (260)
General: Vast Intellect

Engine of the Gods (220)
Artifact: Prism of Amyntok

Battleline
5x Saurus Knights (100)
5x Saurus Knights (100)
5x Saurus Knights (100)

Behemoth
1x Bastiladon (280)

Reinforcements (440)

General gameplan is to deathball the army around the map, using Knights and Bastiladon as a screen to keep the Slann and Engine alive. Keep Curse of Fates on the Engine to reliably get the results I want (deal D6, heal D3, and summon) or to improve the damage/healing of those effects slightly. Prism has become a personal favourite, since you can just teleport to within 12" in the hero phase (curse of fates helps here, too!)  and with Curse of Fates you can activate it on a 2+. The Engine can potentially do 9 mortal wounds by itself in a single turn, which is something that Seraphon are usually lacking.

There is a lot of reinforcement points to help keep deployments down. Both the Engine and the Slann can bring units into play, and since the Slann can use the Engine as a vassal so you can summon very far forward (especially if you roll doubles, and especially with an Astrolith Bearer). Units summoned in by the Engine can move after being called into play, so calling in a Stegadon or some Salamanders has some great strategic potential.  One of my favourite tactics has been to call a Stegadon into play,  move with the Skink Alpha ability, move in the movement phase, shoot its great bow (or the fire throwers), then charge immediately - my opponents never expect the Surprise Stegadon.

Good things to summon:
Astrolith Bearer
Heroes to capture objectives (Sunblood)
Heroes with utility (Skink Starpriest, Skink Priest)
Salamanders and Razordons

Thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

Thoughts on this list?

Slann Starmaster (260)
Skink Starpriest (80)
Saurus Sunblood (120)
Saurus Astrolith Bearer (160)
10 x Saurus Guard (200)
20 x Saurus Warriors (200)
- Clubs
40 x Skinks (200)
- Meteoric Javelins & Star Bucklers
20 x Skinks (120)
3 x Skink Handlers (40)
3 x Ripperdactyl Riders (140)
3 x Kroxigor (160)
2 x Salamanders (80)
Stegadon (240)

Total: 2000 / 2000

On 19/12/2017 at 12:07 AM, Agent of Chaos said:

Thoughts on this list?

Slann Starmaster (260)
Skink Starpriest (80)
Saurus Sunblood (120)
Saurus Astrolith Bearer (160)
10 x Saurus Guard (200)
20 x Saurus Warriors (200)
- Clubs
40 x Skinks (200)
20 x Skinks (120)
3 x Skink Handlers (40)
3 x Ripperdactyl Riders (140)
3 x Kroxigor (160)
2 x Salamanders (80)
Stegadon (240)

Total: 2000 / 2000

I doubt this will work. Has a little bit of everything, no clear goal / roles I 'm afraid.

What are your thoughts on this list ?

I should have begun by saying I inherited the above models (apart from the two Saurus heroes) so that is more or less what I can put on the table at the moment.

Happy to invest in other options but not sure which way to turn. Seraphon have so many options!!!

With the above list, my thinking was that the Kroxigor, Salamanders and Skink Handlers would operate as an independent force on one flank, the Saurus unit holds the middle with the Sunblood, the Saurus Guard protect the Slaan at the rear, the Skinks go for objectives, the Stegadon does stegadon stuff and the Ripperdactyls die in a Alpha Strike.

What are the key Seraphon synergies that I'm missing out on?

Would you guys tweek a lot or just a couple of things?

I do have the models for the Shadowstrike Starhost but would lose out on some of the Saurus hitting power...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys.

I am going to take this to a tournament next month.  It's all I have painted.  Hoping to do ok with it.

Old blood on Carno, general, coronial shield,  thickly scaled hide

skink starseer

skink priest, trappings

astroloth bearer

10 skinks bolts and shields

bastiladon solar engine

bastliadon solar engine

6 ripperdactlys

gryph hound

gryph hound

shadowstrike star host.

Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone looking to back into AoS with more free time now, with the existing changes to battalion costs is it worth it to play more than one?

My list as is:

Skink Starseer - 200

- General

- unsure which trait is best, have rolled the skink table but looking for one to best suit the list 

skink star priest - 80

Scar-Vet on Carnosaur-240

usually give him the blade of realities 

for the other two heroes their artifacts tend to change on the situation. 

40 skinks - 200

3 units of five knights 100 each for 300

2 stegadons - 480

1 troglodon - 180

firelance 110

heavenswatch 200

1990/2000

Generally play it with the Firelance acting as a screen of sorts/first strike while the heavenswatch moves up and then engages. With the new costs is 310 to much an investment in battalions? Or is there a better way to run the two I have? On the shelf a I have a two bastiladons, an engine of the gods, 80 more skinks, 15 knights, 50 of saurus warriors, a vet on cold one. The only Slann I have is Mazdamundi, though from what I've seen he is played as an engine of god. Always open to getting new stuff though.

Thank you any and all feedback welcome!

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone tried a Thunderquake using Kroxigors instead of the usual Salamanders/Razordons?

You can fit up to 9 in a 2000pt Thunderquake list. With a 2" reach it should be possible to get all 36 4+/3+ rerollable attacks per model - that's about 24 wounds on average, at 2 damage each, which should do very significant damage to everything but 2+ rerollable saves. A 3+ save unit will take  16 damage on average while a 4+ save unit will take 24 (!!).... and then the Kroxigors still have a bite attack! You can also swap in 3 Moonhammers to help deal with horde armies. 

They're fairly resilient, too - 4 wounds each and a 4+ save (which will be rerolled thanks to Thunderquake).

This leaves you really weak to high save/MSU-style armies but I think that could be compensated with  a Bastiladon using an Ark of Sotek and the mortal wound output of Slann + Engine combo.

I really like my kroxigor in thunderquake but have only ever used 3. Would be really interested to see how a big unit of them do. Getting them with starlight and a mystic shield and just charging them in attacking a few different units would be cool. They really pack a mighty punch.

So I'm going to be playing in a 1800pt casual tournament in a couple of months time.

Debating this:

Oldblood on Carnosaur
Scar Veteran on Cold One
Starpriest
Slann
5 Saurus Cavalry
5 Saurus Cavalry
5 Saurus Cavalry
40 Skinks
Bastiladon
Troglodon
Firelance Starhost

Thoughts?

1800...? That's a really weird game size.

1. Why are you bringing the Troglodon and the Skinks? They don't synergize with the Scarvet or the Oldblood

2. Firelance is a very underwhelming battalion

3. You have no shooting support. Seraphon have some of the best shooting units in the game!

5 hours ago, PJetski said:

1800...? That's a really weird game size.

1. Why are you bringing the Troglodon and the Skinks? They don't synergize with the Scarvet or the Oldblood

2. Firelance is a very underwhelming battalion

3. You have no shooting support. Seraphon have some of the best shooting units in the game!

Largely its a what I have thing (plus what I will buy). What changes would you suggest?

Increase the current size of your units that are in the battalion to get more value from those bonus abilities. I woudn't go too crazy with that, though - Knights are big models and only have a 1" reach, so getting even 10 guys into combat range is tough.

Hi guys. Recently a path to glory group has started up in the group I play and I thought, hey, finally an excuse to rebase all my lizardmen (and get used to calling them Seraphon too :P ). So far its been fun, and the Bastiladon  is a total beast in small games but I've been thinking on how to build the army for a full 2000 point list. So I was wondering if I could get some feed back on things. This is the first list I was thinking of.

Allegiance: Seraphon

Leaders
Slann Starmaster (260)
- General
- Trait: Vast Intellect
- Artefact: Blade of Realities
Engine of the Gods (220)
- Artefact: Coronal Shield

Battleline
40 x Skinks (200)
- Meteoric Javelins & Star Bucklers
40 x Skinks (200)
- Boltspitters & Moonstone Clubs
10 x Saurus Knights (200)
- Lances
- Seraphon Battleline

Units
3 x Salamanders (120)
3 x Skink Handlers (40)

Behemoths
Bastiladon (280)
Bastiladon (280)

Battalions
Thunderquake Starhost (170)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: NaN

A Stegadon will do more damage for less points, so you pay a lot of points for a very defensive beast.

The problem with bringing more than one Bastiladon is that they only have 8 wounds and even while ignoring Rend they tend to die pretty quickly unless you keep Mystic Shield and some way to reroll saves active. Since you can only MS one Bastiladon at a time, that leaves the other one vulnerable.

I would cut one Bastiladon for a Stegadon & 1 Salamander.

You may also be putting too many points into your Battleline units. I would consider trying to make 160 points for an Astrolith Bearer - the global boost to your casting is awesome and rerolling hits for units in range is a great combo with rerolling wounds from Thunderquake.

These changes make your list into a very typical Thunderquake, which is currently one of the strongest lists in the game!

Hey, thanks for the feedback. I can see what you mean with the Bastiladon, one of them will always be un-shielded. As for the Stegadon, how do you think I should load him out? The fire throwers seem cool but the bow has good range. I can picture it sniping weaker support characters pretty well. As for dropping stuff for an Astrolith, should it be the knights or some skinks? Finally I guess, should the skinks be blowpipes or javelins? I'm leaning at pipes for the range mostly.

The flame throwers  are good against horde units since you get 1 attack for every model in range, but the bow is never a bad choice (especially if you are rerolling hits and wounds!). I like comboing the bastiladon and stegadon shooting together to kill one unit per turn.

I would drop the Knights from 10 to 5 and drop enough skinks to make room for the Astrolith.

Archived