My First Army Beastclaw WiP

Greetings, this thread is where I'll update my progress building and painting my very first army: Beastclaw Raiders!

stone.png.d3967e823efc8101fe0595c70dac7ec2.png

I just finished priming all the models so everything is dark and boring atm, and I'll have pictures of all the units tomorrow - but first: my first attempt at conversion: the gutbuster ally Butcher with Cauldron!

I hate how the official model aka Gross Stumpman and Bloodpot look (how can you drag that thing during a battle? preposterous!) so I'm making my own out of a scrap launcher and greenstuff and bits from my icewind assault box. It's also my first time working with green stuff, but I think the stew turned out alright with textures I pressed on:

pots.png.e11a3fab0e0907ba831a20992eddc824.png

Yes I'm making two :D

With the launcher's cart, wheels, support tusks and mournfang pulling it I think it looks properly mobile at least. The Butcher himself is a frankenstein ogor I made of all sorts of parts, a meathook plus the great looking chaintrap. Best of all it uses the same sized base as the butcher with cauldron model!

isom.png.add090786e79367104390d07247bf70a.png

More pictures of units to come, but for now here's some mournfang cavalry that are currently drying and look like I didn't thin my paints although I assure you I did - this is fur layer 4!

mourn.png.dda99b08fac95af0acc642a52c585153.png

Day 2 Update!

Put some layers on the mournfang, trying to get a dark to light transition from their backs to their feets in a similar manner to real life grey wolves from my research. When it looks alright, I'll move on to drybrushing the color from each lighter layer on the next level's darker part to smooth it out, then finish with wrack white drybrush lightly over the whole thing. I'm kind of making this up as I go along, so hope it works!

mourfn3.png.75eeec594d2e4c58f620c47fcfc01ba3.png

mourn2.png.ea1b835906e89121683a2fe61c8c1bd6.png

Also, I put the base coats on mr thundertusk and his identical twin. Instead of grey like duncan's how-to video, I'm making the bottom layer thunderhawk blue with a black wash over it, then I plan on making a bunch of drybrush layers of lighter blue into white, hopefully so there's only a hint of blue left at the roots. His dark feets turned out nice so far, as I wanted it to fade into black for them.

tuska.png.7cae00c3f3a6406ed29739fc88a9c41a.png

Next step for everything is tons of drybrushing, time to learn it!

First time drybrushing was a success, I think. The mournfang are now arctic! When I paint their toenails black I think it'll really pop.

mmm.png.caf7f821f2b9d2bcd8ecd6fe6335ac20.png

Mr tuska got a thorough coat of nuln oil, a drybrush of baharroth blue mixed with grey, and then two drybrush coats of wrack white. I think it turned out arctic as well!

tuska.png.b989c369cb5c57fa35dff201a406de04.png

Next will be boring like toes and face skin or horns but we'll see.

Friday update - Did a ton of work on the two tuskas although it seems minor. I went with an orangish skin for the rips in fur as it contrasts the blue fur strikingly. I mixed zandri dust with jokaero orange and lahmian medium and did 3 coats. then two of watered down reikland flesshade, then one of reikland flesshade+nuln oil just around the edges. then I did their faces in thunderhawk blue+nuln oil, then thunderhawk blue, then I think fenrisian grey for highlights. then an eshin grey wash as I thought it was too bright. I didn't want their faces to be the same as the torn skin color as that would be super loud in a bad way. The thin cuts I did with jokaero orange+zandri in a different ratio to be brighter and lahmian medium so it wouldn't drip out of the cracks. then reikland fleshhade lightly over that. The bones look weird cuz it's only the base coat so far.

For the big tusks I have werid plans!

tuska1.png.93d666281adc974572c39eb623ee4cda.png

tuska11.png.bea0355833098ece1b27924d61ed2805.png

tuska111.png.58c2461f6600d02941e77a3223bc1ba9.png

I made the brand/glowing thing area black cuz these ogors graffiti up their beasties (just a little on the thundertusks cuz' the spirits get mad if there's too much, but the stonehorn's gonna have neon green spray paint graffiti on his horns!). I'm going to see if I can use my friend's airbrush to make it look like they spray painted that circley area black (like go a little out of the edges and stuff), and the symbol will be a neon color and be drippy a little, but I don't know what it will be yet, we'll see!

Tuesday update!

Hornz'n'Bonez (that took forever to get looking right) and some straps and saddles. So many layers of experimenting (and re-doing) on how to do them I'm struggling to remember the way that turned out.

For the Bones on the saddles: Zandri Dust base, then Ushtabi Bone, then Ushtabi Bone mixed with White Scar in various ratios over and over until I got a nice transition. Then Reikland Fleshhade+Tons of Water over the whole thing, then Reikland Fleshhade+Lots of Water over the bottom 90%, then RFS+Some Water over the bottom 75%, etc. Then a drybrush of Flayed One Flesh+White Scar that I messed up. Turns out when you mess up a drybrush it looks like smeared molten marshmallow across your model and you need to redo everything (so make sure to drybrush with a DRY brush, ahem). Repeated the entire above, then did right!

For the Mournfang's Combat Tusks: Basically the above but with much less fleshhade and fewer layers, instead watered down Dryad Bark in gradual layers towards the tips.

Plus I gave the Mournfang cute feets some dryad park to pop out against the white. The saddles are also Dryad Bark.

bonez.png.23471ad688f5965a9277dc4b7649c84b.png

Next up: all the metal parts in the saddles, tuska tooth holders, hooks and junk. Plus the ropes and random riveted armor peices and mournfang flesh patches and faces. Going to try for just dark, subtle faces as I've done some research and a lot of the bright blue/tan face circles end up looking like sonic the hedgehog. These are visually interesting enough already, I think I'll be fine with a muted face. 

And for the thundertusk's tusks: metallic gold fading into coal black at the tips (with hot gunmetal blue and purple shades in the transition). No snowballs here, we're putting the thunder in thundertusks!

Labor Day Update!

Mournfang flesh patches went through a bunch of tests in photoshop to see which color worked best with the rest of my plans, and wouldn't you know it, boring old thunderhawk blue with a nuln oil wash was the right mix of dark, blueish greenish, and didn't clash with the future ogre clothes.

Speaking of: Leadbelchers for all!

mfo.png.bbb213d907d590379eb04ea07bc47a51.png

mf.png.ef116f6bcc7ea327b20a36cfb3ed7d0b.png

When I was modeling my ogors up, I used a bunch of chopped up and re-glued hands arms and armor plates and only used helmet heads and now that I'm leadbelching everything maybe they have too many armor plates?

No!   Armor Plates are sweet and you can't have too many.

Leadbelched random pounded plate areas and maw banner for Tuskas, plus boneplate got horn layer treatment and a red magmadroth scale drape. Speaking of tusks: the lighting coil tusks! About 4 layers of Hashut Copper over abbadon black.

cu.png.e0fbebdd4614e6172e8228c24682c89f.png

xcu.png.54b0e3ea251e5b8a75572d7de15aedf9.png

Such a cute face.

These ogors are hoodrich and the tusks are frankenstein electric!

Next up is highlights for leather stuff and leadbelcher stuff, plus the super time consuming million layer blend from Hashut Copper into druchii violet into caledor sky into a dry charcoal of abbadon black - like they're the burnt gun barrels that shot so much frost-wreathed ice - mortal wounds can get hot!

My first try at skin, or should I say first result, because this is try #4. It's Rakarth Flesh base, then Kislev Flesh over it, then two reikland fleshades, then a few shrinking layers of kislev flesh watered down a lot and with some white added each time. I wanted pale cold flesh of winter but with deep dark crevases, and I am happy with how it looks at arm's length and hate how it looks up close. Should I just double or triple the number of layers for a softer blend? Can I put a wash over the whole thing in some way that will help it blend or would that just ruin everything?

skin.png.9eaa2b04e450ee8ef43aa7a2a5e7d928.png

• 2 weeks later...

Sick for a week update!

Mournfangs - skin done, gold plated armor and weapons done, agrax earthshade over metals then armor highlights and bone-hacking wear and tear on weapons done, working on big and little skulls.

mournxcu.png.5cdfc104bf3ec823f7e877217fdfe6b6.png

mournxxcu.png.5ea6d9332bec0378f4f91968d5ca4a4f.png

I think I'm going to re-do the armor highlights as I'm not happy with boxing everything in, my gut feeling was doing it from where light would be coming from, and I think I'll do that after all. 

Next up will be mournfang cleanup and random highlights and their mouths. Also I'll do the thundertusk's tusks with my first attempt at airbrushing with my friend's airbrush!

9/19 Huskards Update

Skin and clothes nearly complete! The thundertusk Huskards do themselves up to look like their Tusk mounts which I think is cute. Gave the Huskards blue to white beards with golden trinkets in them (and retributer+auric grills). Made the bloodhawks into actual blood-hawks thanks to abbadon base, then mephiston and khador mix drybrush. Also gave them little nuln oil shadows on the huskard's arms.

closea.png.19ae4941267fcc87e8b7a21fdb81d155.png

Frostlord spear nearly done, gradient eshin gray with nuln into nuln thunderhawk into russ grey beard with golden trinkets again. And for the tiger skin cloak (pelt of charnar) set the stage from white to skrag brown with agrax in the fur parts, so now just need the stripes.

closeb.png.fe2f51d479c3e0a28887cb702e39c8ee.png

And thanks to @tolstedt and his airbrush demonstration, the 'burnt gunbarrel' effect of druchii into blue into black is phase one of really putting the Thunder in Thundertusks. 

farsh.png.5a81bf0db4c9857e934747e112dac0dc.png

Next up is tons of blending, a wash, and drybrushing the tusks, and very carefully applying the tiger stripes to the pelt.

Sudden Update!

Well, I bit the bullet and popped open abaddon black for some please don't mess up tiger stripe action:

59c233970b254_peltclose.png.3838c1dff09db941a60b3da190cd8dcd.png

I didn't mess up!

Spent a week away from home, but I brought my paints and beastclaw ogors! 

20170923_002414.jpg.d56a8d0ab38afdbf1931eccfb90323e1.jpg

20170923_002929.jpg.903c371a4deae001313ec8aa1a24700d.jpg

Specifically my kitbash and greenstuff wip Stonehorn beastriders who've decided to arm themselves not with stupid xbows and junk but leadbelcher cannons, like a couple a geniuses. 

I have the bodies done up in real dark purple fur with a slight fade to white at the tips, piercing blue eyes, golden teeth for the huskard's and normal teeth for the beastriders, and astrogranite technical paint for the stonehorns'... well, stone horns! 

20170928_224851.jpg.ae28b076cb87addb5467d1b6350b06cd.jpg

Its nerfed in the game to be pretty bad, but I'm painting it up to look really tough for next year's ghb18 when gw will surely fix their mistake! Probably give it a watered down nuln oil then two or three colors of dry brushing before adding the graffiti.

Besides just painting up the beastriders, I decided to try my hand at having the lit wick in his mouth cast some orange light and throw some dark shadows out. Mostly just winging it, but I think it turned out pretty good for a first try. 

20170928_173903.jpg.ac56a40294cb58c296ba306065af7669.jpg

Note I'm out of town so the picture quality is low, and doesn't capture the orange on his skin very well, besides the shoulder. 

Next up is working on all the treasure tied to huskard's mount, including a sky titan cannon! 

Stonehorn's stone horns are done and I'm very happy with how they look. I gave them astrogranite with a coat of nuln oil over it, then drybrushed administratum gray, warboss green, and steel legion drab in big areas to simulate the lichen and dirt on boulders near my house!

stonez.png.b35ac2342065aff2728f2ac163f6c7a8.png

And so with that, and some touch-ups on the mournfang's little mouths, I can officially say that the non-ally core of my first Aos Army (and first army of any sort) is tabletop ready! 

BEEST.png.33e02919a5cbc9552963ee43fb7d500a.png

frostfront.png.aa51ee88b1f7bf4e9a8b3096c690a5e2.png

bcrside.png.29c04dea22fc4bfb42c91829eedd6e31.png

bcrgenius.png.7a141c2e3ab2fbb275f8f7f0a12b2f6d.png

No time to slack, though, because I still have the allied 12 Ogors and 2 Butchers, and all of the arctic bases to do. I can't wait!

3 hours ago, heywoah_twitch said:

Stonehorn's stone horns are done and I'm very happy with how they look. I gave them astrogranite with a coat of nuln oil over it, then drybrushed administratum gray, warboss green, and steel legion drab in big areas to simulate the lichen and dirt on boulders near my house!

stonez.png.b35ac2342065aff2728f2ac163f6c7a8.png

And so with that, and some touch-ups on the mournfang's little mouths, I can officially say that the non-ally core of my first Aos Army (and first army of any sort) is tabletop ready! 

BEEST.png.33e02919a5cbc9552963ee43fb7d500a.png

frostfront.png.aa51ee88b1f7bf4e9a8b3096c690a5e2.png

bcrside.png.29c04dea22fc4bfb42c91829eedd6e31.png

bcrgenius.png.7a141c2e3ab2fbb275f8f7f0a12b2f6d.png

No time to slack, though, because I still have the allied 12 Ogors and 2 Butchers, and all of the arctic bases to do. I can't wait!

Congratulations!!! Thats a big accomplishment. With a great looking result I have to say. 

Just one question.. is it me or are there just 7 mournfsng in that picture. And don’t they come in pairs.  

Well it was in my original post, so I had to get to it eventually, and I did! The butcher with cauldron counts-as using grot scraplauncher, greenstuff cauldron, and a bunch of extra bits is finally nearly painted.

Dryad Barks, Mournfang Browns, Hashut Copper, and healthy doses of agrax earthshade and nuln oil (I wanted him really pigpen). Warboss Green with athonian camoshade for the feather, wreath, sword wrap, and orc hand in the cauldron make nice little dots of color imo. His smock pants are wolf grey with agrax and his skin is steel legion drab also with agrax.

The cauldron's goo slime is maybe 10 different colors in a blend from blue to blue/grey to light purple to pink and finally red, cuz I wanted the idea of the thing freezing all the time, and I think it'll pan out once I start putting blizzard on stuff. For the "Young Mournfang" I followed my process on the mournfangs themselves (only this time like 10x faster since I've improved!).

butcha.png.7b24aa81b445d227f309962e7390c61b.png

GET OVER HERE!

59d6a2bdd0a53_getoverhere.png.7fcd35ef8e7aa0ed0855a1e89dbe6cff.png

Up next I need to highlight a bunch of stuff, make the Frostlord's bundle of loots, glue on some reins and hook pieces that I saved for later, and finish those footslogging ogors. After that is my first attempt at bases, oh boy.

Archived