Let's chat: Daughters of Khaine

Payce

11 minutes ago, Silphid said:

Nope actually i scratch-built them as the goblin spider riders were too small and static for my tastes. I sculpted one and molded copies for the unit. I’m afraid I can’t help you for your own version :(.

I really like these :) - Probably because they remind me of Quelaag from Dark Souls 1.

I would have liked to see some spider hybrid dark elves - maybe we still might but given they are already present in D&D /Forgotten Realms the whole IP thing might be a problem for GW - they seem to be going out of their way to be original so the stuff is easy to copyright. Like elves riding hover fish...

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Nilworth said:

The Doomfire’s bravery 6 doesn’t really hurt too much on the first turn or 2 because I didn’t have a target for the slaughter queens command, so I used Inspiring Presence on them and the extra bodies give me some leeway before I lose the 6 or d6 mortal wounds. I have the Blood Sisters in a block of 10 instead of 2 5-girl units so I only have to use one witchbrew one them and they all get Mindrazor.

If I did drop 5 doomfires though, my other options I have are any combination of 5 Blood Stalkers, another Medusa, 10 Lifetakers, 10 Buckler SoS, a Dark Elf Sorceress, a Mistweaver, or more Hag/Slaughter Queens on foot for the 160 points (or at least that’s what I own for replacements.) Unfortunately my other army is Sylvaneth so my ally options are limited. After hearing the good things recently about Lifetakers they are the most likely replacement for 160pts.

Im hopefully not sounding defensive, just trying to explain my thoughts, I do appreciate the feedback.

Yeah on paper 10 lifetakers should do really well, I have them ready to play but haven't tested them at all as yet. I'm wondering whether the deep strike on lifetakers is a trap however as the 9" charge required is low odds, also likely to out range support magic. I was toying with 10 lifetakers as a small unit that's equivalent to a fast flying witch elf unit, starting like witch elves within deployment. 

25 minutes ago, Rollcage said:

Yeah on paper 10 lifetakers should do really well, I have them ready to play but haven't tested them at all as yet. I'm wondering whether the deep strike on lifetakers is a trap however as the 9" charge required is low odds, also likely to out range support magic. I was toying with 10 lifetakers as a small unit that's equivalent to a fast flying witch elf unit, starting like witch elves within deployment. 

That was my thoughts on using them as well, deep strike is just too risky for me. Also toss Martyr’s Sacrifice on them as well and then they are something your opponent doesn’t really want to deal with. My buddy that plays Overlords also plays Maggotkin and I had 3 Heartrenders take out 2 blightkings from their bucklers and MS. I lost my unit but hey they took out stuff with them. I imagine Lifetakers would work even better since they actually want to be in melee. I don’t have time to play test the theory so I gotta decide if I wanna risk the switch in my list.

Ok as I've seen some of you mentioned Lifetakers, so ! I've been playtesting competitive Cauldron Guard list with 20 and 5 lifetakers and I got to say they are underwhelming. 

I went 3-2 with that list (3 major against Khorne, Nurgle and Sylvaneth and major loses against Legion of Nagash with Nagash and ThudnerKroak) both games I lost were pretty close as with Nagash my bad I forgot that he gives immune to battleshock to whole army and with ThunderKroak I lost roll for double turn and even still got a chance to make it close in last two turn but 3 Witches and 2 Lifetkaers could kill 10 skinks in two turns on combat so I didn't capture and burn marker in Scorched Earth scenario. 

But Lifetkaers were pretty bad, they really got stuck in combat, no rend is pretty problematic and 4+ to wound is also quite problematic and I've played them both deployed in a normal way and deep strike. And just aren't reliable enough to do anything and got stuck in combat with Plaguebearers and Skeletons, once they are stuck. Also other units can do their job better - to harras enemy Heartrenders are clearly better, and to fight anything is better, if you want to move units across fast - use Kheilbron, also for a Battalion choice Slaughter Troupe is the best it's cheap run and charge and Cauldron Slaughter Queen is amazing, as well as on big SoS and Heartrenders as they could really harrass enemy back line. I need Battalion to 

a) give Medusa Shadow Stone

b) limit number of drops as with 5-6 drops I can out drop (or roll of for first turn) against some armies like Seraphon (which BTW proved to be the worst match up for me so far, I won all 4 times against Changehost with a major) 

Also I like Martyr's Sacrifice + Bucklers combo more and more, I will have to use it on 30 Sisters of Slaughters so their damage output won't be amazing but with 6'' and 2'' will make sure I got full number of attacks, and I have 2x10 witches/sos with knives to bring  more attacks in. Also Martyr's Sacrifice/Bucklers combo on SoS will be AMAZING against Idoneth Deepkin.  

So far the worst part is that I still can't find right army and I've playtested like 8-10 different builds. 

So I just started AoS and joined an escalation league, after I fell in love with the Daughters. I did really well in round 1 at 750 points with: 

Bloodwrack Medusa (Shadow Stone) 

5x Blood Sister

5x Blood Sister

5x Blood Stalker

5x Blood Stalker

winning or drawing all my games (scenario: Knife to the Heart)

But in this week’s mission, Duality of Death, up to 1000 points with the addition of a Temple Nest, 10 Witch Elves, and a Hag Queen, I got absolutely rocked. Even with the Hagg Nar bonus, the Lord Celestant on Stardrake and the Vampire Lord in Zombie Dragon stomped my poor snakes flat before I could even touch the objectives in two separate games. I’m not sure what to change, should I just go all in on snakes and hag queens? Bite the bullet and buy Morathi even though I’m not good enough to paint her well?

(We’re still using 4x4, by the way, if it helps)

1 hour ago, Selpharia said:

So I just started AoS and joined an escalation league, after I fell in love with the Daughters. I did really well in round 1 at 750 points with: 

Bloodwrack Medusa (Shadow Stone) 

5x Blood Sister

5x Blood Sister

5x Blood Stalker

5x Blood Stalker

winning or drawing all my games (scenario: Knife to the Heart)

But in this week’s mission, Duality of Death, up to 1000 points with the addition of a Temple Nest, 10 Witch Elves, and a Hag Queen, I got absolutely rocked. Even with the Hagg Nar bonus, the Lord Celestant on Stardrake and the Vampire Lord in Zombie Dragon stomped my poor snakes flat before I could even touch the objectives in two separate games. I’m not sure what to change, should I just go all in on snakes and hag queens? Bite the bullet and buy Morathi even though I’m not good enough to paint her well?

(We’re still using 4x4, by the way, if it helps)

I'd surmise that if you're facing stardrakes and zombie dragons,  you need to have your witch elves take the hit.  Snakes are awesome offensively when buffed, but they're very frail and not meant to get hit, since you'll lose their value quickly... not to mention how expensive Blood Stalkers are in relation to their output.

Yes, that makes sense. I’m also thinking of just using larger units of Sisters, hoping to get the buffs off on them and just chew through the gigantic beasts before they spend too much time chomping on my units. It seems like 1x10 Blood Sisters is much more threatening to those sorts of monsters than 2x5, since they kill at least half before they get to swing.

@N_Watson sure 

Slaughter Queen on Cauldron + General + Amulet of Dark Fire + Blessing of Khaine 

Morathi + Shroud of Despair 

Medusa + Shadow Stone + Mindrazor 

Hag Queen + Crimson Rejuvenation 

*Hag Queen + Martyr's Sacrifice 

*30 Witches + bucklers

*10 Witches + knives

10 Witches + knives 

*20 Lifetakers 

*5 Lifetakers

*Cauldron Guard

HaggNar Temple 

1 hour ago, DantePQ said:

@N_Watson sure 

Slaughter Queen on Cauldron + General + Amulet of Dark Fire + Blessing of Khaine 

*30 Witches + bucklers

*10 Witches + knives

10 Witches + knives 

*20 Lifetakers 

*5 Lifetakers

*Cauldron Guard

HaggNar Temple 

You have been having quite a successful run against changehost with your various builds and its got me wondering what type of host your meta uses. I have been facing one regularly too and while resilience to their damage output is not an issue, churning through the splits in time to score objectives is. Have your opponants been using many reinforcement points to split their horrors  and if so what missions ect did you play that you found favourable and which could have gone either way?

1 hour ago, DantePQ said:

@N_Watson sure 

*30 Witches + bucklers

*10 Witches + knives

10 Witches + knives 

*20 Lifetakers 

*5 Lifetakers

*Cauldron Guard

HaggNar Temple 

Yeah, the lists I was looking at were including some SoS with minimum lifetakers and some heart renders. Also never included a Medusa, and just went with mind razor on Morathi. I'm still at the collecting and painting stage though, so nothing but theory. Glad to see they are doing well against changehost. I'm a changehost player myself and it's morathi alone that scares me. SoS as well are hard to deal with. 

@Azurious I've played 4 times against Changehost 3  games were against 200 reinforcement point (30 Tzaangors) and once against 300 reinforcment points (30 Tzaangors as well),

Duality was fairly easy.

I won Knife to the Heart but only with minor 

And won major Scorched Earth and Starstrike, 

All games were pretty tight (Duality was easy) so it wasn't easy, but great mobility of Morathi and witches along with Khinerai make it winnable with good deployment and movement- 3but it all comes down to execution and your approach to battleplan. I found DoK amazing when playing Battleplans, as I have everything - big hard to kill monster/small heroes around big units for Duality, big units for other battleplans and quite enough mobility to threaten Knife to the Heart and Scorched Earth. 

Splits are problematic but DoT isn't mobile enough to go for Starstrike when it drops away from him as majority of his chaff was screen LoC and spellcasters or threaten Knife to The Heart, Duality is fairly easy with my build. Total Conquest/Battle for the Pass are more tricky but thanks to Khinerai, Morathi DoT player got to have in the back of his/her head. 

I found Seraphon much harder to play with as I've played twice against them and lost both, one time badly another time it was much closer but I missed some crucial rolls (for example 4 witches and 2 Lifetakers weren't able to kill 6 skinks in two turns of combat with re-rolls ). 

DoK isn't easy to play with top tier armies but I think we have amazing tools to win with every build without going crazy lucky. After 20+ games I still learn to play with them but I feel failry comfortable against any match-up. 

Anyone here considdering idoneth deepkin as allies? Of yes, what and why.

I might want to use some of those wel cavalry and namarti reavers or thralls. I think they  will look Nice with some khainite bitz. Heavy cavalry is something we do not have and the rangers have an okay ranged attack and do they count as battleline minimum?

8 minutes ago, Blitzel said:

Anyone here considdering idoneth deepkin as allies? Of yes, what and why.

I might want to use some of those wel cavalry and namarti reavers or thralls. I think they  will look Nice with some khainite bitz. Heavy cavalry is something we do not have and the rangers have an okay ranged attack and do they count as battleline minimum?

Allies do not count as battleline.  Also I think (but could be wrong) that the Namarti Reavers need an IDK general to count as battleline anyway.

I think a case could probably be made for using the defensive eel cavalry as a speedy unit which doesn't need support from prayers/cauldrons to stay resilient.  But when I'm trying to drum up DoK lists I barely have points for all the things I want to include from the one book, nevermind trying to add allies into the mix!

SATURDAY NIGHT BATTLE REPORT!

Faced Blightking heavy Nurgle army and double Mournghul Nighthaunt army.

Result:Huge wins

Top 5 Things That Made a Difference

1. Hagg Nar temple abilities were incredible! The 5+ Faith save in conjunction with the Blessing of Khaine prayer made my Blood Sisters damn near unkillable. Not to mention having Mystic Shield on the unit.  The 4+ by 5+ by 5+ reroll was just nuts!

2. Hag Queens on foot. Witchbrew is RIDICULOUSLY good! The no battleshock and reroll wounds caused some bad times for the blightkings and mournghuls I faced today. Blessing of Khaine and Sacrement of Blood made the Blood Sisters just broken good, lol

3. Heartrenders! Their ability to run block for the Blood Sisters is superb! 

4. Bloodwrack Shrine. Though it did nothing of importance, the larger base size allowed me to extend the range of the 7” Faith save to my carefully stretched out Blood Sisters units. 

5. My 3 units of 20 Blood Sisters with all of their rerolls and buffs were absolute killing machines! The much feared Nurgle and Mournghuls dropped like flies.

My Army: Bloodwrack Shrine, 3 Hag Queens, 3 units of 20 Blood Sisters, 2 units of 5 Heartrenders.

i will not be changing this list at all. The combo of troops was devastating for my two opponents. Furthermore, I will never use any other temple other than Hagg Nar. The 5+ Faith save made my Blood Sisters frustrate the Nurgle player to a boil, lol. He’s a buddy of mine but he didn’t like the idea of another army having a 5+ “Feel no pain!” Lolol. The Nighthaunt player was also frustrated that with all of his negatives to my hits, I was still hitting him because of my rerolls due to Blessing of Khaine and Sacrement of Blood. Very proud of my snakes today!

2 hours ago, Scythian said:

SATURDAY NIGHT BATTLE REPORT!

Faced Blightking heavy Nurgle army and double Mournghul Nighthaunt army.

Result:Huge wins

Top 5 Things That Made a Difference

1. Hagg Nar temple abilities were incredible! The 5+ Faith save in conjunction with the Blessing of Khaine prayer made my Blood Sisters damn near unkillable. Not to mention having Mystic Shield on the unit.  The 4+ by 5+ by 5+ reroll was just nuts!

2. Hag Queens on foot. Witchbrew is RIDICULOUSLY good! The no battleshock and reroll wounds caused some bad times for the blightkings and mournghuls I faced today. Blessing of Khaine and Sacrement of Blood made the Blood Sisters just broken good, lol

3. Heartrenders! Their ability to run block for the Blood Sisters is superb! 

4. Bloodwrack Shrine. Though it did nothing of importance, the larger base size allowed me to extend the range of the 7” Faith save to my carefully stretched out Blood Sisters units. 

5. My 3 units of 20 Blood Sisters with all of their rerolls and buffs were absolute killing machines! The much feared Nurgle and Mournghuls dropped like flies.

My Army: Bloodwrack Shrine, 3 Hag Queens, 3 units of 20 Blood Sisters, 2 units of 5 Heartrenders.

i will not be changing this list at all. The combo of troops was devastating for my two opponents. Furthermore, I will never use any other temple other than Hagg Nar. The 5+ Faith save made my Blood Sisters frustrate the Nurgle player to a boil, lol. He’s a buddy of mine but he didn’t like the idea of another army having a 5+ “Feel no pain!” Lolol. The Nighthaunt player was also frustrated that with all of his negatives to my hits, I was still hitting him because of my rerolls due to Blessing of Khaine and Sacrement of Blood. Very proud of my snakes today!

Loving the updates - What spells/prayers/item did you go for?

The list i'm tinkering with is very similar to yours but swaps one of the hags, one unit of 20 sisters and 5 sisters from another unit for a slaughter cauldron and 30 witch elves.  I like the extra screen, save and damage threat from the cauldron. Still assembling the shrine so yet to have a decent game with this though.

At one stage I was toying with a gimmicky multiple Shrines/cauldrons list but I think it sounds like one for your general might be sufficient. Do you think the shrine would've been better in a different matchup?

Keep us updated!

7 hours ago, Loec said:

Loving the updates - What spells/prayers/item did you go for?

The list i'm tinkering with is very similar to yours but swaps one of the hags, one unit of 20 sisters and 5 sisters from another unit for a slaughter cauldron and 30 witch elves.  I like the extra screen, save and damage threat from the cauldron. Still assembling the shrine so yet to have a decent game with this though.

At one stage I was toying with a gimmicky multiple Shrines/cauldrons list but I think it sounds like one for your general might be sufficient. Do you think the shrine would've been better in a different matchup?

Keep us updated!

Prayers I had on my three Hag Queens were Bless of Khaine, Sacrament of Blood, and Crimson Rejuvenation. Bloodwrack Shrine Medusa General had Mindrazor, but she never really needed it. I used Mystic Shield most of the game. The way I used the Heartrenders was extremely effective. I moved my Blood Sisters up as far as I could by running. Then, I dropped the Heartrenders down in front of them to run block. It worked like a charm. The enemy has to destroy them to be able to get to my Blood Sisters, but what ended up happening was the inevitable pile in 3” by my snakes. I’m very serious when I say that I will not be changing this army. It works, it works well, and it is a combat beast machine with all of the buffs. Furthermore, if the enemy is foolish enough to target your individual characters, they’re leaving the Blood Sisters alone which are nasty enough without buffs. I’m selling my Legions of Nagash army because I truly just don’t want to play any other army but this one. I’d love to hear battle reports from my fellow DoK players!

On 2018-04-18 at 12:20 PM, DantePQ said:

Ok Heartrenders and Lifetakers are finished 

My friends will write down all paints once army is finished and I will post it here

received_1841361685932264.jpeg

received_1841361625932270.jpeg

received_1841361499265616.jpeg

Still just WOW!!! these are so good the details are insane 

On 2018-04-18 at 5:32 PM, DantePQ said:

Thanks a lot, 

For anybody interested in paints @JD222

First picture paints were used to paint skin

Second picture paints were used to paint armour 

And third picture painst were used to paint hair, clothes and any extra stuff like weapons.  

30769060_1841394899262276_1822314505_o.jpg

30771946_1841394875928945_461552741_o.jpg

30825154_1841394862595613_1587041868_o.jpg

Very interesting thank you for sharing , going to look at getting some of those Game colours. 

On 2018-04-19 at 8:02 AM, Twitch of Izalith said:

Thanks! I mostly just paint to get things on the table but have been trying to get better and learn some new things and I wanted to make an effort for Morathi as she has been one of my favourite warhammer characters for a long time. I wanted the snake part to look very Slaaneshi and organic and then balance the intense colours with some contrasting cold colours - Which led me to having to attempt the dreaded white cloth :/ for the dress. I'm quite pleased with how she looks - particularly considering it could have gone so very badly wrong with Hot Pink, Yellow, neon green and a really bright purple all involved at the same time at one point. The model looked hideous when it was base coats only. I wish I took a picture then!

I also found the kit quite a difficult build. the design is really clever but i did end up with some gaps - one in the body and one down the back of the dress. I filled the one in the dress using liquid green stuff but because the other one is in the scales I thought i would just end up making a worse mess so I left it. Fortunately its in a hard to see place!

I kept the kit in 3 pieces to paint (left off the head and left wing) but if I could do it again I would also leave the spear as a separate piece and glue it on last when the rest was finished. I knocked it sooo many times while painting its a miracle it didn't get broken.

Little Morathi next :)

I am same usually just paint enough to get on the table, and dark elf has always been a passion lol got into painting seriously last year with seraphon and now repainting all the witches and have been getting better. 

The dress I could imagine being tough but it definitely came together.

The colours look great together looks like she came out of a comic book and into real life! 

1 hour ago, Richelieu said:

@DantePQ did you get your inspiration for that color scheme from an airbrushed Smurf painting on the side of a hippie van? xD

Haha Kind of :P I wanted something out of the box  and I think I made right decision and I used to love Smurfs. 

Blood Sisters are up next and then Cauldrons and infantry, and I'm still on the fence about Bucklers vs Knives for my big block of Sisters of Slaughter, with bucklers they are more of swiss-knife unit (especially when used in Slaughter Troupe) but their damage output is 40-60 Attakcs (taking some loses into consideration). 

Had a nice game vs Changehost today, I won but my opponent made a huge mistake. I tried out Khailebron and it didn't fare as good as HaggNar against Changehost but will test it some more. I seriously considering big units of Blood Sisters with Bloodwrack Shrine , I'm thining about 

HaggNar

Bloodwrack Shrine + Amulet of Dark Fire + Steed of Shadows 

Morathi + Mindrazor 

Hag Queen on Cauldron + Blessing of Khaine 

20 Blood Sisters

30 Witches with knives

10 Witches with knives

5 Heartrenders

Archived