Let's chat: Daughters of Khaine

Payce

@Lhw nice list I like a lot

Maybe I will try some Morathi-less lists but she works for me, against some enemies she can be brutal being hidden and blasting spells and then counter-attacking but I do love HaggNar and it's obviusly easier to shield her. I love playing this army as there are many ways to go and it isn't obvious but from those games I've played Slaughter Queen and Heartrenders are stars , I will try to squezze in 20 Heartrenders and 10 Doomfires in my list as I think that with HaggNar I miss a little bit of :

- mobility 

- I need some kid of shooting

Also Heartredners are quite awesome in Duality when I can claim objective turn 1 and then screen Morathi&Cauldron with Heartrenders

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Morathi is something different, which does count for a lot. The pure threat of her will put off quite a lot of players, too. Just more practice needed, I think!

The Heartrenders were great, I agree. Playing Scorched Earth and they can just jump at whichever objective is least defended. That and teleport Warlocks forward means you get a high chance of nuking whatever is on it and then taking the objective and burning. 

I did manage to, just, out drop my opponent. Having played Gnarlroot for so long, think it will be quite interesting when I don't outdrop them. Not used to that! 

Yep but I am postitive that rule for going first will change to roll-of and I foudn with my HaggNar that with Morathi range and Heartrenders threat I don't mind going first or second, especially when I can activate witchbrew turn 1 so my crucial units are immune to battleshock. 

Yeah I agree Morathi takes time to fully use her I still have problems with choosing what to do, I wish she had another ofensive spell as Pit of Shades is just bad unless you are playing specific opoonent. 

7 minutes ago, Oldmanlee said:

Hi guys 

has anyone tried a snake list with morathi in it I love the model but I'm struggling to make a competitive snake list with her in it she seem so many points ?

it depends how comeptitve you wanna go , it will be stron but won't be top-tier competitve. Morathi, Bloodwrack Shrine, Medusa,20 Blood Sisters, 2x5 Blood Sisters, 2x5 Stalkers, Temple Nest looks cool and very strong and it's 100% but without Hag Queens and Heartrenders it won't as strong as it could be. 

5 minutes ago, DantePQ said:

it depends how comeptitve you wanna go , it will be stron but won't be top-tier competitve. Morathi, Bloodwrack Shrine, Medusa,20 Blood Sisters, 2x5 Blood Sisters, 2x5 Stalkers, Temple Nest looks cool and very strong and it's 100% but without Hag Queens and Heartrenders it won't as strong as it could be. 

I would like to go in too a game and not feel like it's a loss before I do anything so competitive but not top tier 

@Lhw that's what I heard from a friend of mine who confirmed other rumors in the past but it's only something I heard. GW wants to shake rules a little bit with AoS but it could be baloney as well.

@Oldmanlee so something similar to what I posted should be perfect for you, also @Scythianplayed all snake army at Adepticon with great results. 

6 minutes ago, DantePQ said:

@Lhw that's what I heard from a friend of mine who confirmed other rumors in the past but it's only something I heard. GW wants to shake rules a little bit with AoS but it could be baloney as well.

@Oldmanlee so something similar to what I posted should be perfect for you, also @Scythianplayed all snake army at Adepticon with great results. 

I will have a look back through the post and have a bit of a read 

Struggled against Stormcast's shooting yesterday. Also wondering if going for Bloodwrack as general to get battleline on Blood Sisters is worthwhile.

So consensus is it's better to put a Slaughter Queen on a Cauldron and the Hags on foot? I'd have thought you'd rather want to protect the Hag by putting her on the Cauldron instead?

1 hour ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

How would pit of shades work vs a unit with random movement like a steam tank? In 8th ed it'd be removed from play as it didn't have a movement value but I don't know about in AoS...

Just as a side note, I used Pit of Shades at Adepticon in all 5 of my games. It really wasn’t that effective which disappointed me.  

1 hour ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

How would pit of shades work vs a unit with random movement like a steam tank? In 8th ed it'd be removed from play as it didn't have a movement value but I don't know about in AoS...

Hmmm... Interesting question... Maybe opponent has to roll a value for the spell purpose? In AoS it seems unlikely you would remove it from play...

1 hour ago, GammaMage said:

Struggled against Stormcast's shooting yesterday. Also wondering if going for Bloodwrack as general to get battleline on Blood Sisters is worthwhile.

So consensus is it's better to put a Slaughter Queen on a Cauldron and the Hags on foot? I'd have thought you'd rather want to protect the Hag by putting her on the Cauldron instead?

Well Slaughter Queen on Cauldron is a better beatstick and can dispell, but most importantly it has it's awesome command ability. If it is not your general I agree hag Cauldron is better.

Anyone have troubles putting Morathi together?  Everything was going great until I got to the dress and now just will not go together at all even considering green stuff, can't seem to get the two pieces to fit together around her :S

I did have a bit of trouble with the two halves of the dress, yeah, you have to make sure all the bits in the torso are properly tight together.  In the end I had to fill the gap down the back with some plastic glue and file it down smooth once it had dried.

14 minutes ago, Lucentia said:

I did have a bit of trouble with the two halves of the dress, yeah, you have to make sure all the bits in the torso are properly tight together.  In the end I had to fill the gap down the back with some plastic glue and file it down smooth once it had dried.

Thanks, yeah I was expecting to do that as well, and felt like everything went together great. Now the excess glue is its own problem. Was yours touching at the top at least around her waist or did you have a gap there? Just worried about the spacing when the first wing goes on, and quite frustrated when the videos I looked up that step seemed to be easy and actually cover up seems in the body lol 

29 minutes ago, Lucentia said:

This is precisely what I did as well.

So I hopped aboard the Medusa train and converted my Hag Queen into a Snek.  Had a little bit of gap filling with green stuff but it will not show up in the painting at all.

I also played my first battle with Daughters of Khaine today!

Battle report incoming soon...

Hag Queen 3.jpg

Had my first battle with the Daughters of Khaine against Nurgle Maggotkin. I foolishly forgot to take pictures, but I will explain the battle as well as I can.

My list was a follows:

Allegiance: Daughters Of Khaine
- Temple: Khailebron
Leaders
Bloodwrack Medusa (140)
- General
- Trait: Mistress of Illusion
- Artefact: Crystal Heart
- Lore of Shadows: Mindrazor
Hag Queen (60)
- Artefact: Crown of Woe
- Prayer: Catechsim of Murder

Battleline
5 x Blood Sisters (140)
- Daughters of Khaine Battleline (Bloodwrack Medusa General)
5 x Blood Sisters (140)
- Daughters of Khaine Battleline (Bloodwrack Medusa General)
10 x Witch Aelves (100)
- Pairs of Sacrificial Knives

Units
5 x Blood Stalkers (160)
5 x Blood Stalkers (160)

Battalions
Temple Nest (80)

Total: 980 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 61

My opponent had IIRC:

5 Blightkings

1 Plagueclaw

30 Plaguebearers

3 Nurgling Bases (that spawn after deployment).

1 Lord of Blights (with the ability to give a unit -1 save for the rest of the battle)

1 Spoilpox Scrivener (Herald)

We rolled for the mission and got Scorched Earth. We were playing on a 4' x 4' table so we went with 4 objectives, one in each quadrant. I deployed with Blood Stalkers on the left in cover on one objective, then moving left to right a unit of Blood Sisters, Bloodwrack Medusa, Blood Sisters, Witch Elves, Hag Queen, and then Blood Stalkers on the right flank on the other objective. My opponent deployed with his 30 man blob of plague bearers and herald on my left on one objective. Then on my right flank a Feculant Gnarl maw (the first one he gets for free before the game), Plagueclaw, Blightkings and Lord of Blights, and then eventually three nurgling bases that he spawned on the objective. As I had only 3 drops I chose to go first to get some buffs on my units before my opponent went.

It was a close game, with things swinging back and forth very quickly each turn as we remained basically tied in points.  I felt like I played well, utilizing our buffs and synergies well to maximize damage, where unfortunately for my opponent he waited until turn 3 to actually move his plaguebearer unit at my left side objective, while nearly the first or second turn I put everything at his forces on my right flank.  We had some very close dice rolls, and the game ended in a tie on turn five with both of us with 12 points.  As I sadly cannot remember everything blow by blow, I will post what highlights I remember:

Mistress of Illusion is AMAZING.  In one turn I buffed and then teleported a Blood Sister unit from one side of the board to the other side of the board where I needed them.  Granted, of course I failed their charge roll that turn.  But I also managed to steal an objective out from under my opponent after he finally moved his plaguebearers up the board, leaving just his herald to watch the objective.  I teleported my Medusa 9" away from his herald and charged onto the objective, eventually killing him with a Bloodwrack stare after a brutal battle between the two of them (ok, honestly it was the two of them flailing at each other with noodles).

I have learned that my dice hate me and I am completely incapable of casting any Blessings of Khaine.  My Hag Queen failed not once, but two hero phases in a row to cast Catechism of Murder...infliciting two mortal wounds on herself.  I did however manage to buff a unit of Witch Elves with Witch Brew, subtract -1 Bravery from the Blightkings with the Crow of Woe and do 40 attacks to said unit with my Witch Elves.  Sadly the Blood Sister unit with Mindrazor on them failed to charge the Blight Kings.

The -1 to shooting was helpful but not overpowering.  It did save me from getting shot by a Plague Claw for the first two turns of the game, as later it killed 3 Blood Sisters in one round of shooting.

Blood Sisters are absolutely awesome in the combat phase.  Their good attacks PLUS their mortal wound attacks make them munch through enemies.  While their 2" range is great, a cunning opponent can remove slain models to deny the Blood Sisters their 1" Crystal Touch attacks, which my opponent did.

I forgot to remember my Temple Nest bonus.  I would have actually won the game instead of tied as the herald rolled two ones when fighting my Medusa.  My opponent had bad rolls all game, so I would have been reaping with mortal wounds had I actually remembered.

Overall, Daughters of Khaine are very rewarding to play, as they reward clever tactics and good timing and use of synergy abilities.  Also the ability to reroll ones as the game progresses are super helpful as well.  Apologies for forgetting to take pictures.  But overall it was a great game.  I did not feel like I made any tactical errors aside from forgetting to use the Temple Nest ability, which was 80pts down the drain. : /

20 minutes ago, DantePQ said:

My test model what you think? 

received_1824679520933814.jpeg

I like her! Have you used a purple wash on the skin tone or built it up from a base layer with some purple mixed in? I also like the solid colour in the hair. I painted all my witches with washes and glazes on white (like the GW studio ones) and I'm not very happy with it. I'm still considering how to re-paint it.

@DJMoose How did your Blood Stalkers do? Mine have been underwhelming in my Temple Nest. Its a shame as they are beautiful models!!! Warlocks are so much more versatile for the same points though which is putting me off using the batallion much more. Everyone here wants to play 40K at the moment though so I doubt I will get many games in at all. 

44 minutes ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

@DJMoose How did your Blood Stalkers do? Mine have been underwhelming in my Temple Nest. Its a shame as they are beautiful models!!! Warlocks are so much more versatile for the same points though which is putting me off using the batallion much more. Everyone here wants to play 40K at the moment though so I doubt I will get many games in at all. 

@Twitch of Izalith The Blood Stalkers did about what I expected.  Started off the game with a bunch of mortal wounds but then turn 3 on I apparently could not roll sixes.  They sat in back minding my two backfield objectives, but were still contributing with their long range.  I chipped away at my opponent's plaguebearer unit, actually killing about nine or so over the course of the game, which is pretty good considering their durability.  When they finally got charged by the plaguebearers I lost one model right away but the other four held their ground for the rest of the game.  They are great for character sniping though, as I was able to knock several wounds off my opponent's characters before they made it into combat.  Overall a versatile unit, but I would not take more than two units of five or one unit of ten.  They would have more value with Morathi, High Oracle of Khaine on the board, but I would invest in more Blood Sisters and use the Blood Stalkers for objective grabbing and harrassment and backfield babysitting.  Again they are not a bad unit, but not as good as Blood Sisters IMHO.

@DantePQ I really like that color scheme; I am considering something similar, but with silver instead of gold.  Great highlights though!

@Twitch of Izalith it's a wash @DJMoose thanks a lot, I think I will settle for this scheme :D I won't be paiting whole army as my good friend of mine will do this (as I can't stand to paint more then few same models and I got Escher Gang to finish) but will post pics how it's coming. Idea is golden NMM armour, blue cloth and pinkish skin. 

Thank you for all kind opinions :D

Archived