Let's chat: Daughters of Khaine

Payce

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, 

Am i the only one to think there is maybe a mistake on the Shadow Patrol battalions ? All the battalions in the battletome (and all other battletomes i have) seems to have the right units in picture corresponding to it, but not Shadow Patrol (only 2 units of Khinerai) ! That's odd and it feels a bit weird anyway that you must field 4 units where all others battalions are 2 + 2 units. Could this be a print mistake ?

My biggest issue with the sisters are the shields and masks. Mask are a easy fix, just use the normal heads. But next up the shields. I have 20 kairic acolytes shields lying around. What do you think. Too big or suitably brutal looking? 

24AF2F01-3167-493D-A618-0F455F192CC9.jpeg.46ff55b1c2c466303db23fe4e2fb5ad9.jpeg

AA89C49E-ED66-49F5-9576-557216B98FA1.jpeg.2248368774af39f901408561484b63e7.jpeg

BD12B8E8-6565-4EE7-B3B1-3F5E66E14FDE.jpeg.ebe40da32a0c760d9434f2c9a518bc80.jpeg

The only issue that I can see is that is the leaders shield and thus has more spikes and feathers - the regular acolyte shields are less suitably spiky. Unless you could modify them to have ore spikes or you've got a surplus of leader shields only. You could always use a sheild like that for your leader model and then have the rest with regular bucklers from the kit.

As an aside what do people think about the bucklers in general at present. My take is that in an army where most abilities and focus is on the charge and doing damage on the charge; the bucklers are not ideal for general use since mostly you want to rely on doing as much damage in those first few moments of combat. At the same time the additional save and mortal wound the bucklers give makes me think they might do well on a single group designed to go after something a bit tougher than normal for the aelves; something that the regular attacks and save might not let them defeat. 

55 minutes ago, Overread said:

The only issue that I can see is that is the leaders shield and thus has more spikes and feathers - the regular acolyte shields are less suitably spiky. Unless you could modify them to have ore spikes or you've got a surplus of leader shields only. You could always use a sheild like that for your leader model and then have the rest with regular bucklers from the kit.

As an aside what do people think about the bucklers in general at present. My take is that in an army where most abilities and focus is on the charge and doing damage on the charge; the bucklers are not ideal for general use since mostly you want to rely on doing as much damage in those first few moments of combat. At the same time the additional save and mortal wound the bucklers give makes me think they might do well on a single group designed to go after something a bit tougher than normal for the aelves; something that the regular attacks and save might not let them defeat. 

On paper I like the idea of bucklers on units of 30 with the increased save and mortal throwback it gives some options against high armour units like liberators, you do sacrifice the additional attack but I think theres enough units with good quality high volume attack output that you can afford to have at least one unit of 30 armed more defensively.

Bucklers with bloodshied on a hag naggar screen get to nurgle levels of resilience thx to 4+ 5++, Even better if you give then the prayer to reroll the invuln.

I am sad the lifetakers are range 1" with that base. They could be a very hard hitting unit when properly buffed if it wasn't for the bases.

I think that, since DoK are all about making the charge (otherwise they just die) having anvil units that you can use to screen your hard hitting units can be invaluable, so I think I’m going to play a 20 model SoS unit for that purpose with bucklers to get a better save and MW throwback. Will be specially hilarious with martyr’s sacrifice prayer. Still taking two knifes on witches though, four attacks each is crazy and I’m already using the SoS to screen them so they always get to charge.

I don't know about big unit with Bucklers I will use 10 SoSwith Bucklers for sure especially as you can keep them to screen your Hags against lesser threats don't need them to go forward and later on when Cauldron will have less wounds they should be in range for extra save ;)

What about the 6 inch pile in? I rather like the sisters rulewise, especially as allies for my more shooty dispossesed, Keep it behind a screening unit, use the pile in and 2" range to get some extra attacks in there. Feels like a less useful tactic with the Daughters though. 

3 minutes ago, Kramer said:

What about the 6 inch pile in? I rather like the sisters rulewise, especially as allies for my more shooty dispossesed, Keep it behind a screening unit, use the pile in and 2" range to get some extra attacks in there. Feels like a less useful tactic with the Daughters though.

I think that can still be useful to DoK, you first charge with your WE and then just pile in with the SoS behind who will hit with their 2" range. Also since you pile in when you activate them you get sure they don't die before they get to hit. 

I really don't think neither witches nor sisters really want to be holding back. Even with bucklers they are very squishy targets, so its better to use the armies synergies and speed boosts and get them into combat. It's far better to have them fight and cause injury than lag back a bit and take fire from archers/spells and not deal out damage. With or without bucklers they are just not a unit to hold back. 

I think Bloodstalkers are better to consider for a unit to be "held back a little" as they at least can strike back with ranged attacks; would have the same save/armour (as bucklered witches/sisters) and also have some good close combat abilities if something charges the rear lines and them. 

That or taking allies from another faction which offers are more tanky unit to hold back. 

Not sure if you are answering to me, but it's not about holding them back, but the opposite. If you want to play aggressive you need units that screen the units that will deal the pain. Bucklers give you a very resilient unit to take those charges and outmaneuver the enemy from there. I am not talking about leaving a buckler unit to hold an objective in the backfield, that would be a pointless use of such unit.

53 minutes ago, Keldaur said:

Not sure if you are answering to me, but it's not about holding them back, but the opposite. If you want to play aggressive you need units that screen the units that will deal the pain. Bucklers give you a very resilient unit to take those charges and outmaneuver the enemy from there. I am not talking about leaving a buckler unit to hold an objective in the backfield, that would be a pointless use of such unit.

This is why I see a single unit of Bloodstalkers as being a necessary evil.  Having a unit that can simultaneously hold objectives and contribute to damaging your opponent is so important in scenarios like battle for the pass and scorched earth.

@Richelieu that's why I cut Medusa from my list as she is pure glass and took Doomfires as Mage they don't have have range of Stalkers but can generate mortal wounds, even if they reduced to less then 4 can cast mystic shield and bunker on objective and can cast shroud of despair\mirror dance. Unless you're taking Battalion they are better secondary caster then Medusa (in Battalion obviously she can take artefact). Also they have great mobility, ranged attacks and a rend in CC.

After few games I happy with this list 

HaggNarr/Kheliborn (still on the face about temple as HaggNar is cool but less mobile and with possibility of going first with ability to alpha strike some opponents will think twice about giving first turn to Kheliborn player,  obviously lists will differ considering spells/prayers). 

Slaughter Queen on Cauldron with Amulet of Fire 

Morathi 

2xHagQueen 

30 Witches with extra knives 

10 witches with Bucklers 

30 Sisters of Slaughter with knives 

5 Doomfires with Mirror Dance (Kheliborn) or Shroud of Despair (HaggNarr) 

10 Heartrenders 

5 Heartrenders 

Also some choices are made especially with the tournaments in mind, that's why I have cut Slaughter Troupe and took Doomfires, two strong blocks of infantry, some screens, 10 woman strong unit of Heartrenders, a lot of prayers, some shooting. In my opinion it's very well rounded with relying on risky tactics like alpha strike. Also very mobile and hits like a truck. And I can always cut one heartrenders unit and Doomfires for Medusa with extra artefact or Bloodwrack Shrine (thinking hard especially about Bloodwrack Shrine as second caster and some anti horde help) 

Amulet of Fire is very strong against Nurgle and DoT. 

I'm also tore apart between Hagg Nar and Khelibron. On the one side Hagg Nar provides better survivability with the +1 to FF, as Khelibron -1 to hit only affects shooting, but is reduced to the units near your general. However Khelibron ability to teleport units seems better to me than Hagg Nar full re-rolls to hit, only that the re-rolls affect all the army while the teleport is only one unit per turn and has to be near your general... So yeah, I haven't decided yet which to use, I guess I'll have to try both...

I think choice of temple in my case will be made depending on the meta. Against LoN,  Nurgle and Changehost I believe HaggNar is better. Kheliborn will be for sure better against KO. Also HaggNar is better when bunkering on objective whether it's big block of witches or hero in duality 

2 minutes ago, DantePQ said:

I think choice of temple in my case will be made depending on the meta. Against LoN,  Nurgle and Changehost I believe HaggNar is better. Kheliborn will be for sure better against KO. Also HaggNar is better when bunkering on objective whether it's big block or, witches or hero in duality 

This is true.  I will probably be switching to Hagg Nar when facing one of my regular opponents who will be fielding Maggotkin.  While one of the weaknesses of Kheliborn is against armies that do not bring any shooting, I think one of their core strengths is the Mistress of Illusion ability. Used correctly, the ability to redeploy units potentially anywhere is very strong.  Granted they must be within 7" of the General, but even that is not too difficult.  I like the potential for late-game objective grabbing, or just the general utility of such an ability.

3 minutes ago, The Traitor said:

Yes, I also think Mistress of Illusion is Khelibron's main appeal, as the -1 to hit against shooting isn't that useful in the AoS meta.

And sadly a flat -1 to hit in all phases would be a little too powerful.

Archived