state of the beastmen

Kosmion

Not sure f the exact list. Looked like a couple of big units of Gors, a big unit of Bestigors, a Doombull, a Jabberslythe, and a few units of Ungor playing against an elite SC list (Stardrake and Dracoth riders).

To be honest, the Brayherd player didn't seem to experienced and was playing Ben Johnson. There was a Herdstone, which seemed to force the Brayherd player to sit next to it for too long.

Overall, it looks like Brayherd have power, but it's not a straightforward army to play.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, The Nameless One said:

To be honest, the Brayherd player didn't seem to experienced and was playing Ben Johnson. 

I would look at this as the cause more.  Having followed the player a little vs someone who has been a top tournament player for probably a decade.

I watched that match, I think the brayherd player's main mistake was not being aggressive enough. He sent in chaff units piecemeal against a mostly Extremis Stormcast force. Of course I don't think that particular scenario did the brayherd any favors either. On a board with more objectives to contest, The match would have ended entirely different IMO.

Herdstone size has been contentious since 2010.  Mark Wildman's was obnoxiously huge and gamey (all fair for the UK tourney scene).  

I copied the one from Sept 2004 WD and people freaked but it was pretty small in comparison.

I think putting a 4" size cap means you can't argue about it any longer.  I plan to copy that and make a tree but I might use a Treeman and convert it like Diablo 3 or a Hag Tree kinda thang.

The key thing with beastmen will be the furious brayherd cost - if it's not obnoxious, I think it will make a potent army.

beastlord, GBS, 2 units of 30 gors, 1 unit of 10 gors, 1 unit of 40 ungors and 1 unit of 30 bestigors is only 1230 pts. Add Gorthor, the wargor banner bearer and the battalion cost and you have a nice core to build around, and some spare points to fill out the army (possibly with allies).

I'm pretty disappointed that brayherds can't take arcanites as allies - skyfire support would have been fluffy and useful. 

I don't know, they're elites and pretty good for their pointage. I wouldn't pack all three minimum slots with Bestigors, but having one unit take up a slot leaves more room for bigger units of Gors, and makes it possible to not be obliged to run Ungors.

i've always found myself taking at least one unit of 10 ungor or gor purely to fill battleline as i don't have the points for 3 big battleline units and a big unit of Bestigor and leaving the bestigor out is not an option for me as their the big punch in the army. Of course that was back in a mixed chaos army so i had alot of Daemons taking up points.

The list i'm looking at currently is:

Beastlord 80
Great Bray-Shaman 90
Great Bray-Shaman 90

30 Gor 210
30 Gor 210
30 Bestigor 360
30 Bestigor 360
Chariot 60
Chariot 60
Chariot 60

Allies 400
(probably 2x Ghorgon)  

Can we choose to take the Chaos allegiance abilities etc but still use Bestigor as brayherd battleline?

Can't say i'm a fan of ambush, we are fast enough that getting close to an opponent isn't an issue and I think the crown of command item (assuming it still exists as a chaos item) is too essential for beasts to give up, though the list above might have enough bodies to let it absorb battleshock.

I think ambushing chariots will definitely be a thing. Ignoring any bonuses to charge range, each chariot has the ability to engage and cause some damage to a unit up to 16" from a board edge on a rerollable 7" charge.  

I actually like having a couple smaller units for screening and objectives, so I'm never short on battleline with a list like the brayherd list. I also still think Furious Brayherd will be a great choice (it's a huge increase in the potency of our units), which deals with any battleline issues.

I wouldn't count on any particular magic item remaining in an unchanged form.

4 minutes ago, decker_cky said:

I think ambushing chariots will definitely be a thing. Ignoring any bonuses to charge range, each chariot has the ability to engage and cause some damage to a unit up to 16" from a board edge on a rerollable 7" charge.  

I actually like having a couple smaller units for screening and objectives, so I'm never short on battleline with a list like the brayherd list. I also still think Furious Brayherd will be a great choice (it's a huge increase in the potency of our units), which deals with any battleline issues.

I wouldn't count on any particular magic item remaining in an unchanged form.

true, i did consider changing out the chariots for ungors as screeners, but i love chariots!

Isn't furious brayherd compendium and under "beastmen" allegiance rather than "brayherd"?

50 minutes ago, Bueno said:

Isn't furious brayherd compendium and under "beastmen" allegiance rather than "brayherd"?

As long as all the units in the battalion have the brayherd allegiance, you can take it the battalion without breaking allegiance. This comes up all the time for the everchosen battalions.

Good to know, it's a great formation

1 hour ago, decker_cky said:

As long as all the units in the battalion have the brayherd allegiance, you can take it the battalion without breaking allegiance. This comes up all the time for the everchosen battalions.

On 8/24/2017 at 8:10 AM, Bueno said:

true, i did consider changing out the chariots for ungors as screeners, but i love chariots!

Fjordhammer had a good article about TK chariot use as board control and objective deniers.  

I was quite impressed with my chariots when I took 3 in the formation.  What I want to try to do is get Khazrak in at the same time.  

Well....ain't that a gut punch. Our 3 remaining compendium units were neutered (not even any command abilities!) without any discount compared to what they cost in GHB1. They even removed the brayherd keyword from the Wargor and Beastlord on Chariot! Also removed the battalions.

https://17890-presscdn-0-51-pagely.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/AoS_BM_Compendium_2017.pdf

Wow, these last updates really hurt!

No more Gorthor with his great General ability, instead we gat a useless general without even the right keyword.

We lost the BSB's abilitiy too, for a random MW, and the Furious Breyherd. Not a good day for beasts.

I have a question: in the new GHb2 the Wildstalker Breyherd is 240pts or something like that, but by playing Breyherds we already get half of the bonuses of that Warscroll Battalion!!! So what's the point?

I'd rather stick to Chaos Allegience and pay for the Battalion so i get Ambush and more importantly the HtH bonus, and still be able to get the Crown of Conquest for that second Inspiring Presence, rather than going Breyherd and getting ambush that is situational and no that important on a super fast army as the Breyherds, and a Herdstone which in my mind is more of a malus than a bonus.

being forced to sit around a target doesn't really play well with beastmen, that are fast, and manoeuvrable but not that hard at holding the line...

Wildstalker brayherd gives you all the bonus attacks, lets you deploy your whole formation in a single drop, and gives you an extra magic item. If the unit requirements aren't too much for you (and they will often be - not everyone wants to play with 150ish infantry), it could be worthwhile. 

Pretty brutal - brayherd was a weak faction and I'm pretty sure that the faction is worse with GHB2017. 

yep big but sadly inevitable losses to the beasts  

going forward

i am still planning on using the beasts throughout the coming year

my old trick/crutch is gone :( (furious breyherd + chariot dude + flag dude + 20 gores or 30 ungore = buckets of 3s & 3s dice) 

my thoughts so far

there are still loads of us (new missions) :)

we are still very fast run & charge, brey shaman :)

good deployment options ambush, 2nd turn ambush, raider move & summoning :)

gor cheep, fast, numerous, self buffing, & 4up save in combat :)

bestgore choppy, rend 1 & big units discount :)

brey shaman cheep, chaos keyword for summons & with herdstone their spell is usable!! :)  

chariots cheep, fast & a real pain to shift :)

allies giants for giggles, bullgore for rend 2, & jabbaslyths are just bloody amazing :)

sadly i cant see us being even close to a top tier army any time soon due to lack of raw combat or shooting out put, mediocre saves, ****** battle-shock, terrible general ability & few mortal/rend 2 options 

but lets face it none of us played beasts with the intention of winning GTs 

IMHO its keeping hold of our numeric advantage late in to the game that will be the make or break of us hopefully with cheep units, plenty of blocking chaff, summons & keeping stuff off the board for a couple of turns it might work ;)

p.s dear GW if you could convince  FW, shadespire, new talisman, new mordenhime or warhammer quest to put in a breyherd hero with even a mediocre command ability it would be much appreciated :):D:)

First game of the new 'season' - looking forward to playing with our new abilities!

Here's my list I'll be using versus the mighty @Sangfroid tonight! Have a Giant, a Jabberslythe and another Ghorgon in my summoning box.

Will probably have the Beastlord, a unit of Gors, a Shaman and the Ungors ambushing, with my General hopefully summoning a Jabberslythe first turn.

IMG_2188.JPG

Archived