AoS 2 - Wanderers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

3 hours ago, Glam The Laughing Warrior said:

I was planning to put all my Wanderer heroes in 32mm bases (same as the Nomad Prince). I see that the official base size list has all the other heroes on 25mm bases though.

Has anyone else put their heroes on 32mm bases?  And are there any issues when playing if not on the official sizes?

The spellweaver with staff especially seems to need a larger bases as she’s quite unstable on a 25mm.

All my heroes are on 32mm bases, no body objects at my local gaming group, as it's to my disadvantage (more models can pile into the hero in combat). However I'm not sure what official touraments would say.

I do have to rebase my dragonlord as his base is way smaller then the official size which is too my advantage.

• Thanks 2

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 12:50 AM, Origin said:

This is why I run 60—90 glade guard. Just nuke the 2-3 key enemy units. 

Even with the discounts, I still do not see SotW or WWR as being viable choices. Despite the points increase and movement nerf GG and waywatchers are still our best option.

Now if SotW had rend it would be a different story... 

I agree... and I'll just say it... I just don't think wanderers are even slightly competitive. The point reductions are not enough for us... I mean my sylvaneth got more points reductions and they already where more competitive and didn't suffer from getting the army abilities gutted. Last year I started with Sylvaneth and when I had a few games I tried wanderers... I'm not even sure I'd switch to wanderers this year... it's just a bit to masochistic.. I like winning.. but I generally think I don't mind loosing that much... but I lost all games with them and only against other terrible armies I got even close to being equal.

• Like 1

@Aezeal Yeah it's pretty disappointing. Both of my pre GHB18 builds, waystone and not, got more expensive and substantially worse. And a 20 point discount on SoTW doesn't make up for it.

I still think they can play well but I really don't understand why they got hit with the nerf bat. 

Edited by Origin

21 minutes ago, Origin said:

@Aezeal Yeah it's pretty disappointing. Both of my pre GHB18 builds, waystone and not, got more expensive and substantially worse. And a 20 point discount on SoTW doesn't make up for it.

I still think they can play well but I really don't understand why they got hit with the nerf bat. 

I acutally think WW is not overpriced, and EG is nicely priced now.. but WWR, WR, SoTT, SotW and probably even GG are still 10 points too expensive. (yes everyone is always happy with the GG.. but for just a single volley of rend 3.... everyone - see above - talks about deleting units with them... but that isn't REALLY what happens… unless you target a very small unit :D). I don't have my books with me but I'm betting waystone is overpriced too... especially considering the annoying requirements it has. And we just LACK stuff... like something big (I'll admit we have good ally options) and elite melee... now I COULD look pass that.. I mean I want this army to be shooty.. and I've played them with only shooting models several times :D   But then we should really be the TOP in shooting to make up for the things we don't have... and basicly we aren't even top in shooting (not bad... just not top) except for the fact that we are almost FORCED to take tons of shooters so we make up what we lack in quality in quantity.

The biggest change to wanderers in AOS 2 is the allegiance ability applying to 1 unit only. This makes Wanderers good if you take the battalion. They are not a “tier 1” army, but are totally outclassed only by a couple builds; they provide a skilled player with an enjoyable game every time.

Holding the waywatchers as reserves forces the opponent to make a choice: spread out over the board to limit reserve deployment or not. Either way, you can focus on only one part of the enemy’s army for most of the game.

Cavalry are super fast and can roadblock key enemy units. I just had 5 wild riders hold up a steam tank for 3 turns! And eternal gaurd with locked shields in cover are really hard to kill. Stash 10 on objectives and the opponent will have to invest a lot to claim those objectives. 

Meanwhile, a defensively buffed unit of wildwood rangers can eat through just about anything. They are an elite melee unit that teleports. But save your command points for a big block’s battleshock or a unlucky charge roll. 

Wanderers don’t have mortal wound output nor something big but an allied Drycha fits this roll. Bubble wrap her with some EG and set her loose!

When criticizing point costs, don’t forget the big picture.

19 minutes ago, Graftonianman said:

The biggest change to wanderers in AOS 2 is the allegiance ability applying to 1 unit only. This makes Wanderers good if you take the battalion. They are not a “tier 1” army, but are totally outclassed only by a couple builds; they provide a skilled player with an enjoyable game every time.

Holding the waywatchers as reserves forces the opponent to make a choice: spread out over the board to limit reserve deployment or not. Either way, you can focus on only one part of the enemy’s army for most of the game.

Cavalry are super fast and can roadblock key enemy units. I just had 5 wild riders hold up a steam tank for 3 turns! And eternal gaurd with locked shields in cover are really hard to kill. Stash 10 on objectives and the opponent will have to invest a lot to claim those objectives. 

Meanwhile, a defensively buffed unit of wildwood rangers can eat through just about anything. They are an elite melee unit that teleports. But save your command points for a big block’s battleshock or a unlucky charge roll. 

Wanderers don’t have mortal wound output nor something big but an allied Drycha fits this roll. Bubble wrap her with some EG and set her loose!

When criticizing point costs, don’t forget the big picture.

The big picture is that we can defend out own objectives but cannot really take objectives the opponent holds very well. Yes the cavalry is fast.. but your story about the steamtank is anecdotal... most big stuff would chew them up in a single turn (and big stuff in this regard is almost anything that is bigger than a unit of 20 goblins)

@Aezeal, I completely agree wit your last few posts.

We simply don't have enough hitting power to capture objectives, but I was able to defend mine lie a boss.

I played my first game of AoS 2.0, I used the Waystone pathfinder list.

• Waystone pathfinder battalion
  • Waywatcher - General/ masterful hunter
  • Nomad Prince - Starcaster longbow
  • Spell Weaver - viridescent shawl
  • 2x Waywatchers
  • 2x10 Glade Guard
  • 1x20 Eternal Guard
  • 1x5 Sisters of the Thorn
  • 1x10 Wild Riders (defintely not what they were in 8th)
  • 1x10 Sisters of the Watch
  • 1x3 Kurnoth Hunters(w/greatswords) 
  • 1x Quicksilver swords (Endless spell) ...this was amazing!!!

I really liked the list, but unfortunately I didn't really have the opportunity to use th bonus shooting due to the board set-up etc.

Definitely wouldn't take 10 Wild riders again, but overall enjoyed.

Addendum: also I really REALLY felt the difference not having our usual realm wanderer allegaince ability.

I honestly didn't think it was broken before, it just allowed us to actually flee somewhere. Maybe the hidden paths trait was too exploitable, but that's something that they could have amended specifically.

Edited by Gwill_of_the_Woods
Typo and addendum
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Gwill_of_the_Woods said:

We simply don't have enough hitting power to capture objectives, but I was able to defend mine lie a boss.

• 2x Waywatchers
  • 2x10 Glade Guard
  • 1x20 Eternal Guard

I really liked the list, but unfortunately I didn't really have the opportunity to use th bonus shooting due to the board set-up etc.

Addendum: also I really REALLY felt the difference not having our usual realm wanderer allegaince ability.

I honestly didn't think it was broken before, it just allowed us to actually flee somewhere. Maybe the hidden paths trait was too exploitable, but that's something that they could have amended specifically.

I'll bet your MVP where the Hunters..... 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Gwill_of_the_Woods said:

• 2x Waywatchers
  • 2x10 Glade Guard
  • 1x20 Eternal Guard

Can I just ask why you take so little shooting with the Waystone pathfinders. In my mind the main reason to take it is to get the hero phase shot off, or do you find that with the 3 waywatchers and 10 SotW it's enough shots to kill anything that you target and there is no reason to take more?

@Gwill_of_the_Woods I loved the Quicksilver swords too, itis sooo much unpredictable dmg for so few points, (of course it can be 0 but average 2). And even if the opponent decides to move it insead of make you move it, it won t realisticly reach your lines as it will be fully behind his lines aftern casting it.

I have not tried it yet I have just written it down but this is what I thought could be useful and having a bit of everything: 

Allegiance: Wanderers
Mortal Realm: Hysh (Ulgu) 
Nomad Prince (80)
- Artefact: Mirrored Cuirass (alternatively the Doppleganger Cloak from Ulgu) 
Waywatcher (120)
- General
- Trait: Masterful Hunter 
Waywatcher (120)
Spellweaver (100)
- Heartwood Staff
Waystrider (80)
- Artefact: Forget-me-knot 
10 x Eternal Guard (70)
10 x Eternal Guard (70)
20 x Sisters of the Watch (360)
20 x Wildwood Rangers (280)
5 x Wild Riders (120)
5 x Sisters of the Thorn (220)
6 x Gryph-Hound (140)
- Allies
Waystone Pathfinders (200)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)
Quicksilver Swords (20)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 140 / 400
Wounds: 123

It is a two drop list which in most cases will decide to go first or second. The idea is: 

-deploy one waystrider WWR and waywatchers (unless i face a shooting heavy army so I need the WW CA) to have flexibility with deployment and maybe be able to pick my fights a bit better;

- Gryph-hounds are mypersonal curiosity as they now occcupy a big area on the board and their ability is basically a double down on our battalion. They are for summoning armies to keep them away from my lines;

- fighty and resilient characters to have the option to defend against shooting and big monsters/heroes. 

- shooting: of course SotW are more reliable in 20 man unit and hopefully deal some substantial dmg(andifnotI can always replace them with 30xGG) plus WW are always there available either from reserve (1-man unit is difficult to keep off the board and my opponent will have to deploy well)

- WR will do WR so either capture obj or screen and EG do the same

- And then endless spells are always an option and as I said the swords are unpredictable but not something I relay on so if they pull something off is good if not...well too bad. 

Critics and comments are welcome, would you do something different? 

Edited by Frozenbeast
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Frozenbeast said:

...I loved the Quicksilver swords too, itis sooo much unpredictable dmg for so few points, (of course it can be 0 but average 2). And even if the opponent decides to move it insead of make you move it, it won t realisticly reach your lines as it will be fully behind his lines aftern casting it.

That's not actually true, I had this issue when I used them last time I played. Turn 1 from the 12" deployment I cast it 18" into his lines and hit him for 3 MW. Next turn he won but elected to go 2nd, sent it back 8" my way which was well within the 6" as I had moved up 6" to shoot at him. (18 - 8 - 6 = 4"). Next turn I won but had to take first turn to try and reduce the amount of units in my face and retreat a bit, he moved it 8" deep into my territory.

It's great fun to play, but just be aware despite being one of the longer casting spells it's still quite easy to get it turned around and thrown back into your face. I hate to think what would happen with the 6" casting range of some of the spells.

On 6/27/2018 at 9:38 AM, Gwill_of_the_Woods said:

With the new edition coming out and points changes, is there any thoughts on using Wild Riders?

I think like mounted daemonettes they can be late game objective grabbers.  

On 7/1/2018 at 8:37 AM, awcamawn said:

I did a quick paint up of the Emerald Lifeswarm because it looked fun and I thought it best fit the Wanderers thematically. Excited to try a game today and see how it goes for my Wanderers in 2.0.

IMG_20180701_102035.jpg.df822079db70873358cb22b83e49a61a.jpg

IMG_20180701_102142.jpg.db11946a019cc2d8acd984dafb0e9023.jpg

Those look nice.  That is a rare snow base that stands out to me (usually they don't have the same feel), kudos

On 7/5/2018 at 11:59 AM, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

Speaking of painting, I really like the greenish skin of the GW Wild Riders.

Me too.  I just did a Tree Revenant like the green skin art in the Sylvaneth book and was debating doing a Wild Rider like that as well.

• Thanks 1

Hey guys I have a doubt. Does our "See but not be seen" CA from the WW stack?? Seen what happened in 6N turnament I was wondering if we could exploitit before they change it. Or am I missing something in how I read it that makes it so it is not stackable anyway? 

Edited by Frozenbeast

8 minutes ago, Frozenbeast said:

Hey guys I have a doubt. Does our "See but not be seen" CA from the WW stack?? Seen what happened in 6N turnament I was wondering if we could exploitit before they change it. Or am I missing something in how I read it that makes it so it is not stackable anyway? 

No because the phase goes "gain the Invisible Hunter ability", and as once you've gained it you can't gain it again it doesn't stack, and it also doesn't get applied twice to other waywatchers as they already have the ability.

Or at least this is my interpretation.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, GM_Monkey said:

No because the phase goes "gain the Invisible Hunter ability", and as once you've gained it you can't gain it again it doesn't stack, and it also doesn't get applied twice to other waywatchers as they already have the ability.

Or at least this is my interpretation.

Cool, yeah I have always used it like that too but you know, seen all the shenaningans that came out...?

• Like 1

you have a coin, then you gain a coin, now you have two coins. if you gain another coin, then you'll have three coins.

anyway, the other day I played a 1000 point game against seraphon trying out a new approach. I entrusted my shooting phase to the combined power of 4 waywatchers, because let's face it, they are the only overachieving ranged unit we have. a nomad prince simply doesnt do enough to justify spending a command point and leader role to reroll hit rolls of 1. same goes for the spellweaver, her signature spell never did much for me. instead I opted to take a unit of SotT to have a 10 wound wizard . these units cost 700 points, leaving me with only 300 points left and no battlelines yet.

I chose 2x 10 Eternal Guard. The idea was to put one unit in each of my deployment corners, to teleport and shield of thorn whicheaver unit was in a position to achieve something in the opponent's backyard. It didn't work out, because both units were not in a position to countercharge the obvious mid push (where my waywatchers were located).

with 160 points left, I entrusted a unit of 5 Liberators to hold my centre. It was an experimental list, so I just wanted to experiment more and compare Liberators to Eternal Guard. Not benefiting from Invisible Hunter hurts, but they are better at running and then taking a charge. In the future, I might put them on flanking duty and park my EG in the centre.

the last points were spent on an extra command point.

The outcome was not surprising to both of us. My shooting phase (waywatcher in the centre, being able to shoot at everything) was brutal. My centre collapsed because of the bad EG position, but all of my Waywatchers survived, because he was forced to split up his attacks. The next shooting phase took care of everything that could threaten my WWs. 

This match gave me hope to continue with my Wanderer. At the very least Im going to play some more match and experiment some more with small changes from game to game. Malign Sorcery has some interesting magic items. But thats for a later post.

• Like 1

Sorry a question about the app. Why I can't open the Waystone Pathfinder? I must search for that because it doesn't appear normally, and the app says that I need to purchase: "books". Which I don't really got what that means... is that a problem? How can I find it?

PS: and I can't find neither the Sylvaneth Wyldwoods warscroll anyway. Is that only my issue?

Sorry a question about the app. Why I can't open the Waystone Pathfinder? I must search for that because it doesn't appear normally, and the app says that I need to purchase: "books". Which I don't really got what that means... is that a problem? How can I find it?

PS: and I can't find neither the Sylvaneth Wyldwoods warscroll anyway. Is that only my issue?

EI found the battalion and it opens up, IDK what happened to you but the app is very bug-y and they know at GW. Just report it to the app email and they ll fix on next patch. The wyildwood i m not sure if it is on the app. It might be in the GHB 2018 where all the scenary rules and profiles are. If not flag that too in your report email. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cerve said:

You need to purchase the in-app ebook Grand Alliance Order to be able to access the Waystone Pathfinder battalion in app. But the "Grand Alliance: Order" is missing from the store in app which looks like a bug. You can report this to them if you want. However it's easy enough to find the Battalion rules online. (I've just e-mailed them about it cause it's a bit bad).

Most Terrain rules seem to be missing as well from the app. The Wyldwood pdf is available from the games workshop website.

Edited by GM_Monkey

1 hour ago, GM_Monkey said:

You need to purchase the in-app ebook Grand Alliance Order to be able to access the Waystone Pathfinder battalion in app. But the "Grand Alliance: Order" is missing from the store in app which looks like a bug. You can report this to them if you want. However it's easy enough to find the Battalion rules online. (I've just e-mailed them about it cause it's a bit bad).

Most Terrain rules seem to be missing as well from the app. The Wyldwood pdf is available from the games workshop website.

I have not purchased it tho. And I can see it. I thought it was another of those gentle concessions from GW seen all the Grand Alliance books are soooo outdated?

To make another example I am able to open the brayherd only battalion which is too only on the GA chaos book. Is it a bug then? 

Edited by Frozenbeast

10 minutes ago, Frozenbeast said:

I have not purchased it tho. And I can see it. I thought it was another of those ge tle concessions from GW seen all the Grand Alliance books seem soooo outdated?

To make another example I am able to open the brayherd only battalion which is too only on the GA chaos book. Is it a bug then? 

You had to choose one at the other end of the alphabet didn't you ?. Yeah the Brayherd one displays the same message about "Book" that the wanderers one does. Might be a version mismatch. I'm on version 4.0.4 and I've just noticed the latest is 4.0.5. I'll try and update and see how it goes.

Edit:

(Still broken in 4.0.5. Also the battalion is still listed under Wanderers while all the units are just Wanderer)

Edited by GM_Monkey
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, GM_Monkey said:

Yeah I was looking for any change, but guess they still both the same (Waystone and Wyldwood) right?