Slaves to Darkness newb questions

Dwarf Giant

Hi all, pretty new to AoS and am aiming to get Maggotkin at some point in the near future.

However, to get used to the rules etc I have some old Warhammer Chaos Warriors I can use.

For matched play I have some questions.

1. Slaves to Darkness seems the best list to make out of my army. Where can I find the rules/which book is the list in?
2. It looks like you can't use Gargants/Hellcannons as they can't be allied with them. Is that right?
3. It looks like I can't use Chaos Lords on Juggernauts/Discs/Steeds of Slaanesh unless they are allies. Is that correct too?

4. Or can I use anything with 'Chaos' allegiance in the Slaves to Darkness (fulfilling the minimum requirements) but if I use a Hellcannons/Chimaera it would just mean I lose The Slaves to Darkness allegiance abilities for the army?

The slaves to Darkness rules are in the ghb2017, along with their pitched battle points profile and allies list. The warscrolls themselves are in the app, or downloadable from the gw website.

As to allegiance rules, they also are in the ghb2017 in the pitched battle section. To summarise them though; you pick an allegiance, fill your list with units available to it and up to the permissible maximum value of allies. You can then choose command traits from your allegiance OR your factions grand alliance. Do anything other than these and you break allegiance and must take grand alliance (losing faction abilities and battleline).

Hope that helps ?

38 minutes ago, flemingmma said:

Also grand alliance chaos book might have a few things to help you

tbh I wouldn't bother buying it at this point. Many of its warscrolls are out of date and it doesn't offer much else. The Grand Alliance books are basically obsolete now. 

Thanks, saves me blowing a load of money on the Grand Alliance book.

And from the above it looks like I can choose a Chimaera and/or Hellcannons as long as I choose Chaos allegiance rather than Slaves to Darkness but then I lose battle line and Slaves to Darkness command traits, but still get to use the generic Chaos ones?

That's good. Feel like I'm getting the hang of it.

So far I was thinking of:

20 Marauders - Khorne 120. (Battleline)

20 Marauders - Khorne 120 (Battleline)

30 Chaos Warriors 480 (Battleline)

10 Chaos Knights - Khorne 320

Hellcannon 300 ( not sure what this is classed as - artillery? Behemoth?)

Chimaera 220 (Behemoth)

Chaos Sorcerer Lord 160

Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut 140

Comes to 1980. Is this list legal for matched play?

16 hours ago, themortalgod said:

tbh I wouldn't bother buying it at this point. Many of its warscrolls are out of date and it doesn't offer much else. The Grand Alliance books are basically obsolete now. 

Now, this is a money saving advice! Thank yoy

On 3/11/2018 at 5:18 AM, Dwarf Giant said:

So far I was thinking of:

20 Marauders - Khorne 120. (Battleline)

20 Marauders - Khorne 120 (Battleline)

30 Chaos Warriors 480 (Battleline)

10 Chaos Knights - Khorne 320

Hellcannon 300 ( not sure what this is classed as - artillery? Behemoth?)

Chimaera 220 (Behemoth)

Chaos Sorcerer Lord 160

Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut 140

Hey Dwarf Giant, I'm pretty new to AoS as well but I've played WHFB and 40K since the 1990s. I'm getting into Aos recently and have focused on Slaves to Darkness. Here are some of my thoughts on this faction.

In my opinion, there is not much use in mixing Khorne with Slaves to Darkness. The Blades of Khorne battletome has basically everything that you want from a Khorne warrior force (Bloodreavers instead of marauders, Blood Warriors instead of Warriors of Chaos, Juggernauts instead of Knights, etc.), plus you get the great synergy, Daemons, Blood Tithe points, etc. So if you like Khorne, it's better to just do straight up Khorne. However, this is just my opinion.

My approach is tending to stick with Slaves and just use that allegiance. I would choose the mark or marks for each unit based on the opponent and scenario, etc. The downside is you cannot take non-mounted monsters (they're not allies in the GHB17). But you can use Chaos Lord or Chaos Sorcerer on a Chimera. Chaos Spawn are cool and I use them instead of other monsters. Also, there is a Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount who is great with knights and chariots, cool gorebeast chariots, giant warshrine, etc. Also, don't forget Slambo and Darkoath Warqueen (two newer heroes) and Sayl the Faithless (a great Hero from Forgeworld).

The only Daemons you can deploy as StD are Daemon Princes or Be'Lakor, but you could ally in a unit of Daemons, or use a wizard to summon any daemons you want, using reinforcement points (since allegiance only applies to the army you start with). That way, you could have a StD sorcerer with mark of Tzeentch summon a unit of Bloodletters, etc. 

If you want, you can choose Nurgle or Tzeentch allegiance instead (or Slaanesh but why?), thereby opening it up to those specific allegiance rules, Daemons, heroes, etc. Because all of the basic StD units can be given a mark of chaos and therefore have that become their allegiance. You could certainly do this with Khorne as well (except for the Sorcerers - there is no magic in the Blood God's armies!!). But as I tried to express above, why bother when Khorne already has everything with its own special flavour?

Anyways, hope that helps and gives you some ideas. The list you put above is fine but as others said you would need to take Allegiance= Chaos (and good luck finding a hellcannon model). I think that plain StD can be very fun, with a nice mix of melee, magic, and heroes (not much ranged weapons, alas). The aesthetic of the models is really cool and old-school too. Good luck to you and keep us updated with what you decide to do!

If you are planning to start Maggotkin of Nurgle eventually you might as well get the book now and add in the more specific units later. If you give all your "slaves to Darkness " units the nurgle keyword they get access to the alliance abilities, traits, artifacts, and spells in the Maggotkin book.

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/03/2018 at 4:39 AM, multiarms said:

...The only Daemons you can deploy as StD are Daemon Princes or Be'Lakor...

Nope, not even these. ?

Neither have the slaves to darkness keyword, nor are Demons of Chaos StD allies... you can still can take a daemon prince  as a unit in one of the slaves battalions though, which is why he's still listed under slaves.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2018 at 1:23 AM, Dwarf Giant said:

Thanks, saves me blowing a load of money on the Grand Alliance book.

And from the above it looks like I can choose a Chimaera and/or Hellcannons as long as I choose Chaos allegiance rather than Slaves to Darkness but then I lose battle line and Slaves to Darkness command traits, but still get to use the generic Chaos ones?

Chimaeras can be added as allies as they are "monsters of Chaos". An alternative to the HC would be a soul grinder, which would be useful in your future maggot kin army

5 hours ago, Tasman said:

Chimaeras can be added as allies as they are "monsters of Chaos". An alternative to the HC would be a soul grinder, which would be useful in your future maggot kin army

I don't have my GhB in front of me but pretty sure monsters can't ally with slaves to darkness alas.

However they can ally with khorne, tzeentch, nurgle, slaanesh etc and as long as your slaves all have that mark you can totally run a chimera ally and have a blast!

8 hours ago, Lightbox said:

I don't have my GhB in front of me but pretty sure monsters can't ally with slaves to darkness alas.

However they can ally with khorne, tzeentch, nurgle, slaanesh etc and as long as your slaves all have that mark you can totally run a chimera ally and have a blast!

That's pretty much what I said....  I guess I wasn't very clear that it's all in the keywords.

4 hours ago, Tasman said:

That's pretty much what I said....  I guess I wasn't very clear that it's all in the keywords.

Ahh sorry I got confused because you put 'chimeras can be added as allies' hadn't realised you'd meant can't! 

4 hours ago, Lightbox said:

Ahh sorry I got confused because you put 'chimeras can be added as allies' hadn't realised you'd meant can't! 

But you CAN. You simply have to give your StD units a mark of Chaos..... i.e. Tzeentch or Nurgle. The Monsters of Chaos can then be allied to that list. You can take whatever allegiance you want. Even if you build a complete Rotbringer list, and take units of warriors and knights, with the mark, you can take monsters of chaos or Demons of Chaos. You could also then take whichever alliance fits you best. Rotbringers or straight chaos grand alliance for example.  

So, in a nutshell, if you want to run an all StD list, you simply have to give your units some mark. I'd suggest Nurgle, as that's where your interest appears to be. Then, feel free to ally in any demons or monsters that you want, keeping in mind the point restrictions.

Then choose what alliance abilities you want to use, be it Rotbringer, Chaos grand alliance or StD.

29 minutes ago, Tasman said:

But you CAN. You simply have to give your StD units a mark of Chaos..... i.e. Tzeentch or Nurgle. The Monsters of Chaos can then be allied to that list. You can take whatever allegiance you want. Even if you build a complete Rotbringer list, and take units of warriors and knights, with the mark, you can take monsters of chaos or Demons of Chaos. You could also then take whichever alliance fits you best. Rotbringers or straight chaos grand alliance for example.  

So, in a nutshell, if you want to run an all StD list, you simply have to give your units some mark. I'd suggest Nurgle, as that's where your interest appears to be. Then, feel free to ally in any demons or monsters that you want, keeping in mind the point restrictions.

Then choose what alliance abilities you want to use, be it Rotbringer, Chaos grand alliance or StD.

Oh shoot yeah I totally misread and did a bad brain xD

But yeah you're totally right with that. Honestly I'm tempted to pick up maggotkin just to try running my slaves as nurgle sometimes when I don't fancy tzeentch

Archived