Chronicles of a Sky Pirate

Paul Buckler

Back to action with

Game 31 vs Richard Buckler

Scenario 3 Places of power

Rematch with my brother this time running his Blades of Khorne list.  He had gore Pilgrims and the murder host.  30 and 20 bloodletters, 10 warriors 20 Reavers, 5 fleshounds, thirster, 2 priests, Mr whippy and a sectrator plus skulltaker and a khorgarath.

He deployed left - right 5 dogs, skulltaker,30 letters, 20 letters priests whippy and banner, thirster, 10 wrriors 20 reavers, Khorgarath

I went boat, 20arkanaugt, navigator, 10 arkanaughts.

I gave Rich first turn.

I left him a slightly above average charge on my boat with the blood letters, with all of his extra moves etc (around 29" away).  the rest I had close to the back of the board.  He went for it, but murderhost and run moves were not great, leavng a double 6 to get to the ironclad.  The rest just moved up, thirster taking center objective, skulltaker left.

I pushed everything out of the ironclad, buffed Thuderers and riggers, plus 2 units of arkanaughts.  Shooting off the bloodthirster, and reducing both letter units to below 10.  Endrinmaster did a wound on the dogs with shooting, but nothing in combat.  Riggers and wardens charge letters, both went down to about 5-6 models. (riggers rolled 4 out of 8 1's to wound!).

Score 2-0 to Rich.

Turn 2 I won priority, buffed wardens and Thunderers, plus 2 units of arkanaughts.  Used Urbaz 1/game fight to remove letters on wardens.  Shot off Skulltaker, other letters, and did 3 wounds on each priest.  Endrinmaster was once again stuck in combat vs a single dog, doing no wounds with shooting or combat.

Rich moved his priest up doing some mortal wounds on a khemist, leaving him on 1 wound, Endrinmaster once again fluffed and failed to do a single wound vs a dog. He had everything on teh right flank, and slowly moved it across the board ready to charge.

Score 2-0 to Rich

Turn 3 He won priority, and moved a priest onto the centre objective.  Using his blood tithe he dropped mortal wounds killing my khemist, but also his dog stuck in with my endrinmaster.  Combat he charged the riggers with reavers and wardens with blood warriors.  He killed the riggers (but I killed 5 warriors).  I killed 14 reavers though, great rolls to hit, he did a wound in return.

My go I buffed cannons and big Arkanaught units.  Shot off warriors, priests reavers and secrator. Got endrinmaster onto Left hand objective.

Score 3-1 to Rich

Turn 4 he called it, he had a khoprgarath left, I was score 2 this go and 3 the next to finish 6-3 to me, plus probably more from centre objective. 

Result Major Victory

Overall I played it well I think.  A high roll for murderhost and run and he kills the boat and everything inside.  Not much I can do about it, he can reach 30 inches comfortably so can;t go back any further.  Rich should have not moved up when he rolled poorly for murderhost, to stay out of cannon range etc, saving the charge for later turns. tbh this was a decent scenario as I can snipe his heros quite well.

Got a game vs @Lhw tonight and his Sylvaneth.  Think it will be tough, he's on a good roll with 3rd at heat 3 and pretty much nailed in for the masters this year now.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great report @Paul Buckler,

Sounds like a decent game and played well on your part. I know you got away with the 'letters not making the charge, but is there anything you could've done to give him a longer distance required? Would it have been game if he got in and surrounded the Ironclad?

Interested to hear how you get on vs @Lhw, I think you could be ok as you definitely have the firepower to do Alarielle in a oner. We shall see.

Also, reading your constant updates makes me sad I'm not playing any games with my Ironjawz at the moment. Pretty sure our game on Warhammer TV was the last I played?! :S 

Keep up the good work

If I baseline the Ironclad its about 4 inches wide, so he gets a 32" charge. 2d6 murderhost, d6 run, M5, +1 for thirster to run and charge +3 from Whippy 2d6 charge.

10 +5d6

If he rolls a 10 for murderhost he gets me more often than not.  So I figured give him a little bit more(approx 3 inches), and he will move up and possibly get stuff into range, if he rolls low, which he did. 

He gets in I lose, I have 20+10 arkanaughts and navigator vs his entire army. 

Potential to bubble wrap with 10 arkanaughts for future games, but I kind of like the bait tactic, you will lose some games, but win others that you might not.

@Chris Tomlin yeah haven't seen you at club in ages,  no bossfest,  need to get back in the saddle man.

Good read @Paul Buckler, nice to catch up on the thread.

If you set up 1 unit at a time is there the possibility to wait and see where these units go and set up so their move is more diagonal? This could make the required distance further is my thinking. Hope that makes sense :)

It is definitely tough to not go for it with the movement the Khorne has but I think if you don’t roll high it is sensible to stop and wait. If you position all your units in favorable positions for the following turn you could almost heard your army a little. 

Hope we can get a few games in next week/weekend at Bossfest? Be good to get some more run outs vs your army.

4 minutes ago, ChippyRick said:

Good read @Paul Buckler, nice to catch up on the thread.

If you set up 1 unit at a time is there the possibility to wait and see where these units go and set up so their move is more diagonal? This could make the required distance further is my thinking. Hope that makes sense :)

It is definitely tough to not go for it with the movement the Khorne has but I think if you don’t roll high it is sensible to stop and wait. If you position all your units in favorable positions for the following turn you could almost heard your army a little. 

Hope we can get a few games in next week/weekend at Bossfest? Be good to get some more run outs vs your army.

He had 5 drops, I had min 3 but went 4.  I can repostion the boat though so I could have gone right flank instead.  However there was a juicy bit of dammed terrain sitting there which tempted me.  Diagonally I can get out of range of letters for sure, but that puts me further back for shooting.

Rich said next time he would drop letters on either flank, so I can't avoid them, which makes sense.

Think you have to play a longer game vs my Overlords list version, and not get to close too quick.  play for double at right time and take me off. 

Will def get at least a game in at Bossfest, probably more.

7 minutes ago, Paul Buckler said:

He had 5 drops, I had min 3 but went 4.  I can repostion the boat though so I could have gone right flank instead.  However there was a juicy bit of dammed terrain sitting there which tempted me.  Diagonally I can get out of range of letters for sure, but that puts me further back for shooting.

Rich said next time he would drop letters on either flank, so I can't avoid them, which makes sense.

Think you have to play a longer game vs my Overlords list version, and not get to close too quick.  play for double at right time and take me off. 

Will def get at least a game in at Bossfest, probably more.

Yes, that was what i was thinking, but i can fully appreciate a juicy bit of damned terrain :)

That is a solid idea from Rich, and one that would limit your re-deployment and help with that herding tactic.

I agree, you have to realise that you will take some damage, but its what you can do after that is key. We found this when we played last with my SCE. didnt need to throw my Paladins in when it wasnt favorable, as i didnt do much and lost them. 

For sure, we will get a few in i hope. would like to have a few other lists to try fingers crossed.

Look forward to the update later with the game vs @Lhw and the Sylvaneth.

Game 32 vs @Lhw

Scenario Escalation

Laurie has been on a big roll lately with his Sylvaneth, getting 3rd at heat 3 and probably going to be qualified for the Masters.  Knew this was gonna be a tough game, but also wanted to see how I did vs Syvaneth as I think they are a very tough matchup for me.

He had, Allarielle, Aincient (+1 save ignore rend),wytch(acorn), 10draydsx2, 5 tree revs, 2x3 bow hunters, 1x3 scythe hunters

He deploys all bar 3 scythe hunters on the board, they stay on the sky.  Big guys at back, bows near central big wildwood, dryads in middle, and on RH objective.

I place big arkanaughts on LH objective along with Khemist and Navigator, 10 more quite a way back in centre behind building, everything else in boat.

Turn 1 He makes me go first, I shuffle up a bit, move boat a bit, but not too far.

He drops woods on his board edge and RH objectiev flank.  Teleports bows to end of boardedge wood, dryads to LH objective.  Allarielle and aincient to centre of board.  He shoot bows and Allarielle at Ironclad only doing 5 wounds.

Turn 2 Laurie wins priority, he doesn;t move, shoots off ironclad this go.  I lose Khemist, 3 Riggers, 2 Thunderers, scores RH and Middle objective.

Shooting back I take out 10 dryads in middle, 3 bow hunters.  Moving up I claim middle with riggers and Wardens grapple over towards LH objective.

Score 2-2

Turn 3 I win priority

Shoot off last unit of bow hunters, leave 3 riggers on middle and wardens move over towards LH objective.  Shoot off 3 revs with drill cannon, Fail my grapple and charge on dryads. claim 2 points from middle and RH objective

Laurie shoots off a couple more thunderers with allarielle, magic off 2 riggers leaving just 1, and moves her to charge the wardens, hunters advance and hold centre objective.  Alarielle charge 6 wardens but fails to do a single wound! (Much profanity from @Lhw over that!)  He scores middle and LH objective.

Score 4-4

Turn 4 I win priority, retreat wardens onto RH objective, and move enough thuderers onto middle to claim that over 2 hunters and aincient, thanks to shooting 1 hunter off. Score 3 Points

Laurie magics off all bar 1 Warden, and moves up to claim with dryads.  Magic also grows back a hunter.  Allariele moves up to centre to charge a unit of 10 Arkanaughts and the 8 thuderers.  Aincient also charges the 10 arkanaughts.  Shooting took off the other unit of 10.  Splitting attacks, allarielle killed 2 thunderers, but all 10 Arkanaughts.  But he now claimed middle objective for 2 points.

Score 7-6 to me

Turn 5 I win priority, and have a 'chance' at a major win.  I charge his dryads, and charge allariel with thunderers, my endrinmaster charges wytch on centre objective.  Selecting Thunderers first I retreat from allarielle, and roll a 6 to run!  I can outnumber on teh centre objective if I dont roll any 1's for teh wyldwood.  Rolled 2 :(  However if my endrinmaster kills the brachwytch I still outnumber.  Sadly he got 2 hits through from his Hunters and rolled double 5 killing him before he fought.  Warden captain killed 3 dryads, if he stays alive I could potentially kill them next go and he wouldn;t score the Lh Objective.  Sadly he got 3 wounds through and I falled all my saves.

Laurie now had a slim chance of the major, he popped scythes and aicient through the woods to his board edge wood, rolled a 6 for the aicient leaving a 5 inch charge to my navigator.  Allarielle moved up to charge the big arkanaughts. I think if he rolled an 11-12 to charge he may have been able to fly over and sit within 6 of the objective.  Howver in doing so he forgot about my thunderers in teh middle, so was relying on allarielles shooting to deal with them or a charge from the scythes.  He shot them off.

Charges Allarielle - Double 1! Scythe a 5 so only aincient got in.  That left him on 2 points this go

Score 8-8 Laurie got Minor on VP

Result Minor Loss

Really tough matchup for me, Laurie is a good player and knows his army.  If he had 3 bows I would struggle a lot more.  He can sit back jump from woods to woods and avoid my heavy shooting while picking stuff off. (Have to hope for 1's on the woods roll to help me out).  My sylvaneth list would just smash up my overlords with ease.  I am not gonna change my build, to the netlist version which deals quite well with the tress, as I like the versatility and balance(I still had  a chance of a major in Turn 5). After killing boat and a khemist turn 2 I thought he would just wrap things up, but a double back let me kill off his bowmen.  I think next time he would place them a lot further back if he could to mitigate that.

It was not a  great scenario and not a great matchup and I was still in the game, which gives me a lot of positivity with my list.  Urbaz is working really well, think it might be where I end up, double buffs mean as i have a variety of units more are improving.  Also changes to buff stacking don't affect me.

Not 100% on trumpet yet, has done nothing so far, am finding it very situational, may look at other artifacts and see what might be better.

Got a game vs @#SteveJamestonight and his version of Sylvaneth.  Will report back tomorrow with results.

25 minutes ago, Paul Buckler said:

Game 32 vs @Lhw

Scenario Escalation

Laurie has been on a big roll lately with his Sylvaneth, getting 3rd at heat 3 and probably going to be qualified for the Masters.  Knew this was gonna be a tough game, but also wanted to see how I did vs Syvaneth as I think they are a very tough matchup for me.

He had, Allarielle, Aincient (+1 save ignore rend),wytch(acorn), 10draydsx2, 5 tree revs, 2x3 bow hunters, 1x3 scythe hunters

He deploys all bar 3 scythe hunters on the board, they stay on the sky.  Big guys at back, bows near central big wildwood, dryads in middle, and on RH objective.

I place big arkanaughts on LH objective along with Khemist and Navigator, 10 more quite a way back in centre behind building, everything else in boat.

Turn 1 He makes me go first, I shuffle up a bit, move boat a bit, but not too far.

He drops woods on his board edge and RH objectiev flank.  Teleports bows to end of boardedge wood, dryads to LH objective.  Allarielle and aincient to centre of board.  He shoot bows and Allarielle at Ironclad only doing 5 wounds.

Turn 2 Laurie wins priority, he doesn;t move, shoots off ironclad this go.  I lose Khemist, 3 Riggers, 2 Thunderers, scores RH and Middle objective.

Shooting back I take out 10 dryads in middle, 3 bow hunters.  Moving up I claim middle with riggers and Wardens grapple over towards LH objective.

Score 2-2

Turn 3 I win priority

Shoot off last unit of bow hunters, leave 3 riggers on middle and wardens move over towards LH objective.  Shoot off 3 revs with drill cannon, Fail my grapple and charge on dryads. claim 2 points from middle and RH objective

Laurie shoots off a couple more thunderers with allarielle, magic off 2 riggers leaving just 1, and moves her to charge the wardens, hunters advance and hold centre objective.  Alarielle charge 6 wardens but fails to do a single wound! (Much profanity from @Lhw over that!)  He scores middle and LH objective.

Score 4-4

Turn 4 I win priority, retreat wardens onto RH objective, and move enough thuderers onto middle to claim that over 2 hunters and aincient, thanks to shooting 1 hunter off. Score 3 Points

Laurie magics off all bar 1 Warden, and moves up to claim with dryads.  Magic also grows back a hunter.  Allariele moves up to centre to charge a unit of 10 Arkanaughts and the 8 thuderers.  Aincient also charges the 10 arkanaughts.  Shooting took off the other unit of 10.  Splitting attacks, allarielle killed 2 thunderers, but all 10 Arkanaughts.  But he now claimed middle objective for 2 points.

Score 7-6 to me

Turn 5 I win priority, and have a 'chance' at a major win.  I charge his dryads, and charge allariel with thunderers, my endrinmaster charges wytch on centre objective.  Selecting Thunderers first I retreat from allarielle, and roll a 6 to run!  I can outnumber on teh centre objective if I dont roll any 1's for teh wyldwood.  Rolled 2 :(  However if my endrinmaster kills the brachwytch I still outnumber.  Sadly he got 2 hits through from his Hunters and rolled double 5 killing him before he fought.  Warden captain killed 3 dryads, if he stays alive I could potentially kill them next go and he wouldn;t score the Lh Objective.  Sadly he got 3 wounds through and I falled all my saves.

Laurie now had a slim chance of the major, he popped scythes and aicient through the woods to his board edge wood, rolled a 6 for the aicient leaving a 5 inch charge to my navigator.  Allarielle moved up to charge the big arkanaughts. I think if he rolled an 11-12 to charge he may have been able to fly over and sit within 6 of the objective.  Howver in doing so he forgot about my thunderers in teh middle, so was relying on allarielles shooting to deal with them or a charge from the scythes.  He shot them off.

Charges Allarielle - Double 1! Scythe a 5 so only aincient got in.  That left him on 2 points this go

Score 8-8 Laurie got Minor on VP

Result Minor Loss

Really tough matchup for me, Laurie is a good player and knows his army.  If he had 3 bows I would struggle a lot more.  He can sit back jump from woods to woods and avoid my heavy shooting while picking stuff off. (Have to hope for 1's on the woods roll to help me out).  My sylvaneth list would just smash up my overlords with ease.  I am not gonna change my build, to the netlist version which deals quite well with the tress, as I like the versatility and balance(I still had  a chance of a major in Turn 5). After killing boat and a khemist turn 2 I thought he would just wrap things up, but a double back let me kill off his bowmen.  I think next time he would place them a lot further back if he could to mitigate that.

It was not a  great scenario and not a great matchup and I was still in the game, which gives me a lot of positivity with my list.  Urbaz is working really well, think it might be where I end up, double buffs mean as i have a variety of units more are improving.  Also changes to buff stacking don't affect me.

Not 100% on trumpet yet, has done nothing so far, am finding it very situational, may look at other artifacts and see what might be better.

Got a game vs @#SteveJamestonight and his version of Sylvaneth.  Will report back tomorrow with results.

Great write up! And very cool to see how you tweak your army. Any chance you could supply us with an overview shot of the set up in the next report? Not trying to get you to make this a full photo album ;) but it makes it easier to visualise everything. 

Game 33 vs @#SteveJames

Scenraio Blood and Glory

Another game vs Sylvaneth, this time a Durthu list.

Durthu (+1Armour), Aincient(moonstone), Wytch(acorn), 2x5 Revs, 20 dryads, 2x3Bows, 1x3 scythes

Deployment - Steve setup on LHS with nearly everything, just 1 unit of Revs on the right and sycthes in the realm roots

I setup on RHS objective, with 20 Arkanaughts, and navigator plus boat. LHS I placed 10 Arkanaughts,  not really to hold the objective, more to push back any jumps through/into the trees.

Img_6116.jpg.8a974066bd17887fef1b27013365a774.jpgImg_6117.jpg.45ffbd35c44003da6438987e1f2889bf.jpg

Img_6119.jpg.dfaffa83c308b4965c844a88b2aa72a4.jpgImg_6118.jpg.a0901c56105f5f4d00445a2bb1aba2e8.jpg

Turn 1 Steve gave it to me, I pushed LHS Arkanaughts forwards, and moved boat over table towards the objective.

Steve moved durthu accross to hit my 10 arkanaughts and kill them, but basically left the rest of his army staionary. 

Turn 2 i won priority and gave it to Steve.  He pushed hard, moving lots of stuff at me, Aincient, dryads and both revs.

Took 5 wounds from the boat. and charged 1 units of revs into my 20 arkanaughts.  he killed 2, and I killed 4 in return.

Img_6120.jpg.c4c570e8f060115870f02595305eb343.jpg

My turn, I dropped all out of the ironclad,  buffed riggers/Thunderers and 2 units of skyhooks.  He had 1 rev left in combat with the big unit of arkanaughts which let me shoot them thanks to my Urbaz ability.  This gave me a lot of rend 2 against the aincient and Durthu.  After the smoke had cleared I had killed durthu, and put 4 wounds on the Aincient.  Also shot off the revs, and finally the trumpet worked killing all bar a few dryads (which would battleshock off at the end of the turn).  Riggers grappled off to kill a branchwytch, while wardens stayed put defensively.

Img_6121.jpg.3d52d8e54fd337ce65c4a22ee2016582.jpg

Turn 3 Steve won and took priority.  He jumped aicient back and dropped scythes to deal with riggers. He shot off all 10 thunderers which reduced my damage output significantly.  Scythes and aincient failed their charges.

My turn I pushed saws onto the LHS objective my side of the table, so I would control 3 this go, and moved my wardens up the field.  I shot 1 unit of bow hunters with the ironclad and took 4 wounds off.  10 man arkanaughts claimed objective on RHS his side.

I got the priority turn 4 and had a chance of an auto win so took the turn.  Moving Ironclad up, along with riggers and wardens, I managed to shoot off 3 bow hunters which were on Steves last objective.  He now had 4 models nearby.  The wardens got thier 4 up and grappled over to claim at the end of my go, giving me the Major win.

Img_6122.jpg.c849ec19ce2571f55270165469f547e9.jpg

Conclusions - The trumpet finally worked, and worked well.  Happy with how that combo can perform.  Sylvaneth are a bad matchup still, Steve should have played a longer game and just shot my ironclad like Laurie did the previous game. 2 bow hunter units will probably kill it over a double, 3 definately will.  I am not sure of any way to counter that, due to the teleportation ability through the trees,  I can't sit out of range.  Need some luck against them, but there are always good/bad matchups for any army.

I think steve pushed too soon, and on a turn where he couldn't get a double.  Blood and glory lets you play teh long game, he could have waited 1 or 2 more turns before coming at me.  he also had an opportunity once the thunderers were dead to moonstone and move onto the RHS objective his table edge.  Woudl have prevented me the major win for sure.

Great game though very close, with chances and opportunities for us both to win.

@#SteveJamesmight give you his view on the game?

Next stop is bossfest, so should get several games in whilst there.

@Paul Buckler As much as there are many vulnerabilities for a zilfin alpha-striking list, Scotland won the AOS six nations using a zilfin list, taking five majors. This proves that it works. If you need to remove units you can dive them with aethercannons blazing and reliably remove linchpin units. Here is the six nations list: 

Skyport: Barak-Zilfin
- Additional Footnote: There's No 
Trading With Some People
Arkanaut Admiral (140)
- General- Trait: Stickler for the 
Code:There's No Reward Without 
Risk
- Masterwrought Armour
Aether-Khemist (100)
- Artefact: Aethershock Earbuster
Aether-Khemist (100)
Aether-Khemist (100)
Aether-Khemist (100)
10 x Arkanauts (120)
- 3x Light Skyhooks
10 x Arkanauts (120)
- 3x Light Skyhooks
10 x Arkanauts (120)
- 3x Light Skyhooks
12 x Endrinriggers (480)
- 4x Grapnel Launchers
3 x Skywardens (100)
- 1x Aethermatic Volley Guns
- 1x Drill Cannons
Arkanaut Ironclad (440)
- Main Gun: Aethermatic Volley 
Cannon
- Great Endrinworks: 
Aetherspheric Endrinds (Barak-
Zilfin Skyvessel)
Iron Sky Command (80)
Total: 2000/2000

Brilliant game as usual always great fun to play@Paul Buckler

I was able to deploy as a one drop due to the Gnarlroot Wargrove .  And deployed the majority of my forces on the right flank with a unit of revs on the left and a unit of hunters in the hidden enclaves. 

Paul deployed the majority of his forces on the opposite flank with a unit of Arkanaughts on the left spread out to push back where I could move/drop my units. 

Turn one

I let Paul go first as I had deployed to limit the damage he could do to me. He push the Arkanaughts up and the ship on to the objective.

Used my Acorn to grow a wildwood and summoned another with the Wych. Durth ported through the woods and rolled a 6 so he was able to move to 4" from the Arkanaughts he made his charge and killed all 10.

Turn 2

Paul won priority and let me have it. This is where I made a key mistake think I should have held back and tried to out range the Overlords  shooting and played for a double 3/4. 

Instead I pushed trying to kill off the ship managed to cause 5 wounds but lost Durth and my Dryads to the disciplined volleys of the Overlords. Things were looking a bit scary for the Sylvaneth really needed to win priority. 

Turn 3 

I won priority and had to pull my ancient back to heal and try kill the Endrinriggers and thunderers.

Paul pushed up his saws and Arkanaughts capturing his lh and my rh objective making it 3 - 1. My bow hunters took a lot of shots this turn but managed to weather the storm with some jammy save rolls.  

Turn 4 

Paul managed to kill off my bowhunters and Sky hook on to my woods pulling his balloons on to my objective and winning the game with a major victory. 

Conclusion

Really enjoying playing my Sylvaneth and getting more used to how they play hopefully will be using the at some events in the future. More woods would very useful,  as if I had a few more my Wych could have summoned one on my lh objective or in the path of the advancing Overlords. Need to learn when to strike and when to play defensively lost out to be too aggressive a few times as Paul says the playing for a potential double is always a good tatic.  Going to swap out my Scyth  hunters for Bow hunter for a few games see if they preform any better. 

All in all a great game looking forwards to our next game and hopefully some revenge. ☺️

It works, it works well.  Can be countered with decent chaff, but most top meta isn't running that.  Not a list for me though, (as khemist stacking doesn't sit right with me, and I think it will be gone when GH 2 arrives, effectively killing that list) 

Also the min max thing is something I really don't like, in any army not just overlords, and that list is total min max.

Good luck to those who want to use it, but for me a balanced list is more enjoyable.

Game 34 vs James Eveleigh

Scenario Escalation

James was trying out his new Blades of khorne list, usingthe Murderhost battalion.

He had 3x30 Bloodletters, 4x5 Fleshounds, 6 skullcrushers, Skulltaker, Slaughter priest, Bloodsectrator.

Deployment, he spread out across the diagonal, while I had to castle in the corner.  He moves 2d6 twice, and then a normal move, then a charge.  If I went any closer he could have easily charged most of his army into me.

Img_6127.jpg.4d0c0f241cb4de5c7e5ce5f2f168f754.jpgImg_6128.jpg.e5882337fd46120053abbb551a2e21a4.jpg

Both of us were 3 drops, he won the roll so finished first.  He elected to take turn 2.

Turn 1 I sat where I was, added IP to big arkanaughts.

James didn't murder host move before the battle, then when he rolled he rolled really low.  Moving maybe 8 inches towards me after movement.  All in all a very uneventful first turn.

I won priority and elected to give it to James.  He hadn't moved enough to allow me to get my cannons etc into range, so I took the double turn away from him and game myself the chance.

James moved towards me again, but failed a key mystical with LHS bloodletters, preventing them from reaching.  Skullcrushers rolled low for charge, so it eneded with him on middle and RHS objectives.

Img_6129.jpg.d9220f8a62d4233350dc82a4a1b79afe.jpg

My go everything bar wardens and Endrinmaster jumped out.  I blasted the LHS Letters down to about 7, and Skullcrushers to 3 models.  Riggers grappled to LHS objective.  He battleshocked off LHS Letters

Score 2-1 to James.

Turn 3 I won priority and took it.  Buffing hooks and cannons again I shot off remaining crushers and took middle and RHS letters down to below 10.  Riggers on RHS kill a unit of approaching fleshounds.  James rolls battleshock for both units of letters, and gets a 1 for both! luckily only 1 and 2 models return.  I hold LH objective only

James moves up with both units of bloodletters and skulltaker, while repostioning his hounds to hold centre and LHS objectives.  He fails mystical with one unit but charges skulltaker and the other into 1 unit of 10 arkanaughts and the ironclad.  Last word, bomb and There's no trading with some people later Skulltaker is dead! He kills a couple of arkanaughts but I kill 4 more letters.

Score 4-2 to james

Turn 4 James win priority and takes the turn, he moves Hounds onto middle objective with priest, and 10 onto RHS objective (2 units of 5).  He charges my thunderers with remaining letters, but having to string them out means he only kills 3.  He scores 2 points again.

My turn 4, I buff up skyhooks, wardens and thunderers.  Jump out endrinmaster to threaten middle. Use urbaz 1/game shooting to take out letters, and jump thunderers back into boat.  Move off with boat towards RHS objective, along with wardens.  navigator makes it finally to LHS objective freeing riggers to kill dogs in centre.  Master is within 6 so can claim if I take care of hounds and priest.  Hooks shoot off hounds, Master shoots off priest.  RHS wardens fail grapple to possibly grab objective.  I score 2 (middle and LHS)

6-4 to James.

Final turn I win priority, which helps.  I unload thuderers move over with boat and shoot off both units of dogs, leaving wardens free to claim.  Move master back so James cant even charge him, but re-enforce with 6 riggers.

Img_6130.jpg.104931e4021cb622041df9da40d71373.jpg

James can't score his go, so it ends

7-6 to me

Result Major Victory

Conclusions- was a very tough matchup.  James made a lot of errors which helped me.  He needed to sit his letters just 6" away from the objectives and wait.  I can't move up enough quickly to shoot him off, and if he wins the right turn roll he can charge me and just take me off.  Moving up bit by bit really helped as I got to pick off stuff a bit at a time.  Escaltion is probably the worst scenario against this for my build.  Playing James a 3 places for example would have been much simpler for me.  So was really happy to get the win.

Last word is great at killing heroes who charge as well, can easily take ou a 4 up save hero with 5 wounds.

He is just learning his force, think a rematch will have a different outcome.

Img_6126.jpg

Huge fan of this thread as a budding KO player!  My stuff should be coming in within the next day or so.

What are your thoughts on running multiple Ironclads at 2000 points?  Too points heavy or could be a good concept?  Main reason being I got a deal on a few of them and am wondering if they'd be useful in groups.

Huge fan of this thread as a budding KO player!  My stuff should be coming in within the next day or so.

What are your thoughts on running multiple Ironclads at 2000 points?  Too points heavy or could be a good concept?  Main reason being I got a deal on a few of them and am wondering if they'd be useful in groups.

I think it's not dreadful, and could work ok. Not sure what you drop to fit it. Could end up being just arkanaughts and characters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so a quick summary of my bossfest games, I had 6 so will be brief with each one

Game 35 vs @ChippyRick

Scenario Take and Hold

Ricky was running a dual dragonblades list with 3 dragons.  I chaffed out my front lines with  2x10 arkanaughts, he hit me doing a load of damage, killing the ironclad and all my riggers, and 10 arkanaughts.  I managed to take down 1 dragon and weaken another.  Getting the double I Killed both his remaining dragons, and left him with 3 units of knights.  Ricky did a bit of damage, and held me up, so I couldn't get to his objective with 5 models.  game ended minor vistory to me.

Result Minor Victory

Conclusions:  Rickys list is cool, I really like the speed and versitility for a themed list.  Think GH2 could improve it as well.  I deployed slightly wrong, leaving too small a gap between chaff and ship, letting him get to my guys emerging from boat.

Game 36 vs @Owen Farmer

Scenario Gift from the Heavens

Owen was running a tasty list comprising of 2x6 skyfires, letter bomb, sayl and some other bits

I took turn 1 and shot off his tzeentch herald, about 12 letters, I also locked some skyfires in with riggers.  He was slightly cagey turn 1 and killed some arkanaughts, but not a lot else, Thirster failed chareg on double 1! but positioned for turn 2, my riggers killed remaining skyfires.   Owen got the double and killed riggers and wardens, his comet landed lucky for me as i had stuff nearer to it.  I shot off the thirster and letters turn 2, before moving into a double and removing the second unit of skyfires thanks to battleshock.  owen had not a lot left end of turn 3 so we called it with a major victory to me.

Result Major Victory

Conclusions - Tough list and happy with win.  Owen played a lot of WFB, but is relatively new to playing AOS, and is still learning.  I think if he pushes everything at me I struggle to cope, or hanngs back until turn 3 and pips bits off with skyfires. 

Game 37 vs @Jimbo

Scenario Gift from the Heavens

He had a mixed Dark Elf list with dragon rider, hydra, big unit of wytches and cauldron. Gave him turn 1 and he came at me, pushing everything forwards barring 1 unit of darkshards.  I fire back killing hydra and dragon with shooting/combat.  He gets teh turn and hits me with wytches and executioners,  Luckily he roleld low for wytches charges and only killed the thunderers.  He had a double pile in, but did not use it as it would have let me urbaz shoot in my hero phase.  I shoot back killing witches/cauldron/executioners.  Comets land in opposite corners, he holds 1 with shards amd me 1 with arkanaughts.  Next go he has dryads closing on my objective, denying it, whilst still scoring his.  I just about remove them in my turn, and push wardens onto his killing shards.  i now hold both turn 4 and we call it there.

Result Major Victory

Conclusions- Jimbos list was a mix of older order, which struggles atm.  GH2 could well help him out here.  Comnets landed pretty well for me, but if he had gotten a longer charge with wytches, it would have been over I think.

Game 38 vs Les Martin

Scenario Gift from the heavens!

Les popped into Bossfest on the saturday, for a game of AOS, and wanting a wrn up vs Overlords.  He has a VERy good tournament build with stardrake and fulminators.  I was really interested to see what my list can do vs it as I think I will face it at events.

Turn 1 I shot the drake before buff with some skyhooks and did 3 wounds.  killed 5 judicators, I think I could take at least 9 off if I shot everything, so that def gives me options.  Shot off Riggers and half wardens, He tooted and got a long run with drake allowing it to charge me. Whiffed totally and only killed 7 arkanaughts.  I got turn 2 and took it, Thunderers whiffed but I managed to eventually kill the fulminators. Urbaz shooting and skyhooks took out key support characters though, denying drake buffs next turn.  Comet landed far right for me.  Drake muched a lot of arkanaughts though, and he ROS/shot off thunderers and wardens.  He got fulminators onto my object as well so scored both.  Turn 3 Les got the turn and  took out most of what I had left barring the boat, and characters.  I charged them in to see how they did vs the drake.  Double Khemist -1 attacks makes drake not very hitty, as long as you dodge the jawz.  I scored nothing, and Les was uncatchable so we called it.

Result: Major Loss

Conclusions - Les is a top player, we always have a great game.  I knew his list was tough so approached it more as a learning experience.  I can pip off the support characters in that build quite easily, if he moves them up.  Means the drake can lose its help after initial charge.  A less experienced player with the list and I think its beatable, but really hard work when they know what they are doing. 

Game 39 vs @Ben diesel

Scenario Take and Hold

Diesel was running his death, so ZD, Mournghul, Abysal terror, 5 blood knights 9 Spirit hosts and zombies

Gave him turn and he pushed Mournghul (double move) and ZD at me.  Luckily he falied the 8" charge with Mourghul (this is like the rest of us failing a 3" charge).  ZD did 15 wounds to ironclad, but I did 7 on the charge from mine and last word. I killed off mornghul and ZD my go, as well as taking all bar 1 wound from terror.  Turn 2 he got priority and killed off riggers, moved his blood knights up.  I finished off his Terror and screend with thunderers and riggers, killed a couple of spirit hosts and 4 knights.  Turn 3 he won again, and charged in knights and Hosts.  He spread the host out in a line though, splitting his attacks.  He took out the  thunderers, but not much else, I killed a couple of bases in combat.  My 3 I finihsed off knights, and hosts, allowing me to move up when I got the double into turn 4.  A mix of combat/shooting allowed me to thin his numbers down so that turn 5 I claimed both bojectives for the major.

Result Major Victory

Conclusions - Mournghul in combat turn 1 would have really hurt, -2 to hit arkanaughts :( Played it pretty well, think I might have held back with riggers and not sacrificed early, but I had a chance of killing terror.  Diesel said in hidsight he would have held back a turn or 2 before coming at me, which gives me less time to react and move at him.

Game 40 vs @#SteveJames

Scenario Escalation

Steve had the same list I played previously and I thought he stood a great chance in escalation with his sylvaneth.  He deployed deep and let me go first, it was very cagey early game, I just pushed wardens into middle massively restricting his teleportation areas.  He failed to kill them, so I managed 2 points turn 2 where he only got 1.  Tuirn 3 I scored 2 again, and Stve having the opportunity of a double moved up.  He got the double and killed a lot of arkanughts, but faile dto reach my ironclad.  I doubled him back removing Durthu.  We both alternated controlling central objective and it finished 7-7 in a very tight game, with me winningby just over 100 VP

Result   Minor Victory

Colclusions - best game Steve and I have played.  Really close, could have gone either way.  Steve missed a couple of subtle Sylvaneth tricks that he will soon pick up on, but overall a great game.  Think Sylvaneth and Stormcast are my hardest games, along with skyfires.  Happy to play more games though, experience with an army is key.

Quick note on bossfest -  its an increadible event held over 4 days down in Dorset.  If you are lucky enough to get an invite from The Boss, take him up on it.  There are a mix of games not just AOS, very casual, just like a club night over 4 days!  We had a rogue @Chris Tomlin join us for Saturday, as well as a bunch of other TGA members.  Thoroughly recommend it to all.

So 2 more games as Urbaz then onto a custom skyport I think.

2 hours ago, Paul Buckler said:

We had a rogue @Chris Tomlin join us for Saturday, as well as a bunch of other TGA members. 

Rogue? I just quietly in the corner playing Final Fantasy TCG!! (until I finished my bottle of Kraken)

Well done on racking up a bunch more games (and wins!). You're a machine. Be funny to count up how many games you've played since our WHTV game (which was the last time I played).

7 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Rogue? I just quietly in the corner playing Final Fantasy TCG!! (until I finished my bottle of Kraken)

Well done on racking up a bunch more games (and wins!). You're a machine. Be funny to count up how many games you've played since our WHTV game (which was the last time I played).

24 games With overlords, and I think I might have played a couple of others, maybe 1/2 Khorne vs my bro and a slyvaneth.  So 27 I think.

EGGS this weekend and then new GH2 (making gore gruntas total filth) will help you get back into it I am sure Chris.

Archived