Questions Starting with Silver Tower and AoS Starter

MY son and I enjoy WHQ: Silver Tower and have recently obtained a copy of the Age of Sigmar starter set. We don't have the General's Handbook, so I think we plan on playing narrative battles for the first few weeks until we move to points.

That said, when we move to points...what would be the cheapest (price wise) to bring our Tzeentch, Khorne and Stormcasts up to 1000pts? We officially have:

Tzeentch: Silver Tower contents and Burning Chariot (we picked up for Silver Tower exotics)

Khorne: Age of Sigmar starter contents and Slaughterpriest from September White Dwarf

Stormcasts: Age of Sigmar starter contents and Questor Knight from Silver Tower

Any suggestions on where to buy in from here would be great! Thanks!

If you want to stick very closely to those factions then the short answer is to buy some Start Collecting boxes - they're incredibly good value. Stormcast Eternals, Tzeentch Daemons and Khorne Daemons all have Start Collecting boxes. But remember that factions from the same Grand Alliance can be freely mixed together, so if you don't mind mixing in some High Elves (Order) and Skaven (Chaos) then I believe the Spire Of Dawn starter box is even better value than the Start Collecting boxes. You could also consider getting Warhammer Quest: Shadows Over Hammerhal - not the best value way to do it, but it will give you a ton of new Chaos miniatures (plus heroes from other Alliances) and you also get a whole new Warhammer Quest experience to enjoy.

I'm building my own force out from the Silver Tower, but focused on the Arcanites rather than Demons. I think that's probably a more expensive way to do it, as you don't have any full units from the Silver Tower box, so would need to buy some bits to pull the Acolytes and Tzaangors up to tens. There's also no start collecting box and if you're anything like me, you'll decide that you need to start a new paint scheme on your tzaangors, so just buy new boxes of them...

For me it was an aesthetic choice, as well as one of timing (the Arcanites had just been released when I took the plunge). The Gaunt Summoner and Ogroid Thaumaturge are awesome models, but that's all you really have ready to go from Silver Tower, not withstanding your chariot.

If you're planning to use points when playing, invest the US$25 in the General's Handbook. It's a very low cost of entry and there's way more than just points in there -- including a plethora of narrative battleplans and ideas.

As for filling out points to 1000, in my opinion you can't go wrong with the Start Collecting kits. The Stormcast one in particular is designed to complement the starter kit that you've already got (filling out your Retributors to the standard 5-man unit). The Start Collecting kits may not get your various factions to 1000 points but it's far and away the best bang for your buck.

Just to jump in about the Start Collecting Stormcast set. I am in a similar position as Mr White having the starter set. Is it still worth the money since the prosecutors and liberators have been repackaged making a unit of 6/10 cheaper?

45 minutes ago, Mr. White said:

I think I'll look for that General's Handbook as I believe Narrative Play is going to be our focus. With that, is there value in us picking up the three Battletomes or are those more for points-based play?

The Battletomes for all 3 of your armies have just been redone to a very high standard. There is a huge amount of background material in all 3, which can be great inspiration for your narrative games. You'll also get new battleplans, which are worth having no matter which style of play you prefer. And then finally there are the allegiance abilities, command traits, artifacts and other faction-specific special rules - they're mostly a power upgrade for competitive players, but they do allow you to customise your heroes a little bit, which can have its uses in narrative play. On the whole I'd say they're worth it.

1 minute ago, ChrisMack26 said:

Just to jump in about the Start Collecting Stormcast set. I am in a similar position as Mr White having the starter set. Is it still worth the money since the prosecutors and liberators have been repackaged making a unit of 6/10 cheaper?

I don't know exactly how it compares to buying each unit separately, but it's worth noting that there are 5 heroes in there that are still not available to buy individually in any form.

4 minutes ago, Mr. White said:

Do the multiplayer battleplans in the General's Handbook allow for any factions or are they predesigned forces?

Any factions. They set a limit on the number of units you can take (which you're not obliged to follow I guess) but that's it.

As for the Khorne, you can also try looking at the Battleforce expansion. It may be a little larger than 1000 pts though. Otherwise, the start collecting boxes are a pretty good starting point, though the Tzeentch and Khorne ones will steer you more toward demons.

I agree with what others are saying on the General's Handbook (GHB). You get SO much more than just points out of it. Allegience abilities and specialties not withstanding, you also get both some Narrative battles, battles for multiplayer, and Path to Glory campaigns and starting ideas. It's an awesome deal (by GW standards) for the price. It's also nice if you have a tablet, since it'll give you points within the Age of Sigmar app. 

I can't say as much for the faction books, for your current aim at least. In your case, each of the armies you're building up now have their own book (and by 'modern' standards at that). You actually get a little of everything from the GHB in those books; points, story, battles, Path to Glory, faction abilities, and battalion formations. However, incorporating the faction specific abilities MASSIVELY changes the way these armies play. Predetermined dice rolls that you can sub in, abilities you gain for whole units dying, teleportation deployment onto the battlefield. So, if you're just starting out, you may want to take it slower.

Yeah, sounds like GHB first...play some games....maybe Battletome's later.

Sounds like the GHBs will be annual. Will they replace and update each other or will the '17 have totally different content from '16? Will they all be necessary or just the mos recent?

Thanks again, all, for your help!

11 minutes ago, Tuluth said:

As for the Khorne, you can also try looking at the Battleforce expansion. It may be a little larger than 1000 pts though. Otherwise, the start collecting boxes are a pretty good starting point, though the Tzeentch and Khorne ones will steer you more toward demons.

It's just occurred to me that there is actually a Bloodbound Start Collecting box. There's also a Slaves to Darkness box, and every model in it can take the Khorne or Tzeentch keyword (except for the sorcerer, who can only take Tzeentch).

8 minutes ago, Mr. White said:

Yeah, sounds like GHB first...play some games....maybe Battletome's later.

Sounds like the GHBs will be annual. Will they replace and update each other or will the '17 have totally different content from '16? Will they all be necessary or just the mos recent?

Thanks again, all, for your help!

We don't know yet. The main draw of the new GHB based on what little we know is that it will update/rebalance the points costs for various units. There's also a strong chance that it will update the core rules in some way. So most GHB2 talk is focused on Matched Play Right now.

Whether it will contain anything new and worthwhile for Open Play and Narrative Play is anyone's guess, but you'd assume they'll want to give everyone a good reason to buy it, not just competitive players.

6 hours ago, Mr. White said:

I think I'll look for that General's Handbook as I believe Narrative Play is going to be our focus. With that, is there value in us picking up the three Battletomes or are those more for points-based play?

Maybe you should wait a little as I believe a 2nd version of the annual general handbook will be release relatively soon (don't know when)

Agreed on Start Collecting boxes and GHB as the best next steps. Another good shout could be the Mighty Battles book (its expensive so see if you can borrow it from a library or something) which contains a bunch of scenarios for Stormcasts vs Tzeentch and Khorne forces, and a ton of background (plus painting guides and all sorts of random stuff)

On 5/5/2017 at 6:31 AM, Mr. White said:

MY son and I enjoy WHQ: Silver Tower and have recently obtained a copy of the Age of Sigmar starter set. We don't have the General's Handbook, so I think we plan on playing narrative battles for the first few weeks until we move to points.

That said, when we move to points...what would be the cheapest (price wise) to bring our Tzeentch, Khorne and Stormcasts up to 1000pts? We officially have:

Tzeentch: Silver Tower contents and Burning Chariot (we picked up for Silver Tower exotics)

Khorne: Age of Sigmar starter contents and Slaughterpriest from September White Dwarf

Stormcasts: Age of Sigmar starter contents and Questor Knight from Silver Tower

Any suggestions on where to buy in from here would be great! Thanks!

If you didn't have a Slaughterpriest (or don't mind a second), I recommend getting a Warhammer Quest Mighty Heroes Box as it has an additional hero for all three factions.

Yes, Battletomes for each. They not only have the points, but also more rules to build up your forces.

For Stormcast you get more out of a second Starter than the Start Collecting box. Otherwise get something you can't in the 

For Khorne, GW still has the Battleforce set, which has Wrathmongers. The Start Collecting box isn't bad for Daemons (Though, if you can find the Blood Tide of Khorne, which also comes with a Daemon Prince for the same price, more power to ya). Again, if you're getting a second starter for Stormcast, Khorne troops grow too.

For Tzeentch there really isn't a deal to befound other than the Daemons with the start collecting box. The older Daemon boxes are cheaper though. Kairic Acolytes, Tzaangor, and Skyfires/Enlightened are all good for the money though, I'd avoid the heroes (IMO The Shaman doesn't look too distinguished from the Skyfires, and they cost the same).

Finally, buy from a non-GW online retailer, or eBay for much cheaper than direct GW.

Archived