Let's chat : Slaanesh

Arkiham

1 hour ago, The Traitor said:

The problem is the generals can't get within 12" of each other to use their command abilities, and the Slaanesh Lord one strikes me as better than the Manticore, specially since the latter can only target Chaos Warriors and I'm not taking any of those (though I might for later armies, a lot of conversion potential there...)

Is it only Chaos WArriors?  Not Chaos Knights as well?  That's not good at all.  Oh well.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Popisdead said:

Is it only Chaos WArriors?  Not Chaos Knights as well?  That's not good at all.  Oh well.

Just checked it in the app, it targets a unit with the WARRIORS OF CHAOS keyword which, I also checked, the Knights don't have. Bummer as I can think of very cool and bizarre slaaneshi Manticore conversions, will keep it for expanding the army.

The manitcore command ability is odd because even chaos warriors don't specifically have the "Warriors of Chaos" keyword. It seems clear that "Chaos Warriors" was the intention (unless "Warriors of Chaos" was going to be the faction name and this got missed in editing).  Given the lack of buffs/synergy within the Slaves to Darkness faction as is, and the fact the high movement flying manticore is likely to find itself far away from slow moving warriors, its disappointing that the ability is so limited.

Thinking about it, Warriors of Chaos was the WFB army and how I think the faction was called at the start of AoS, so probably the warscroll wasn't edited from then, in which case it should affect any Slaves to Darkness unit. A shame that compendium units were removed their sub-faction keywords... Also didn't find a FAQ about it which is weird...

Hi guys,

In yet another clear case of GW not keeping their up to date. The warscroll for the Chaos Lord on Manticore is actually the one still from the Compendium.

The Grand Alliance Chaos one (which is also the latest), can be found here 

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/aos-warscroll-chaos-lord-manticore-en.pdf

So to clear things up. It only effects units of CHAOS WARRIORS. Why it's keyworded is beyond me. Why it even has that restriction is another ??? moment to be honest, I personally think it'd be fine if it was on any SLAVES TO DARKNESS unit. But you know, just GW things 9_9

• 3 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Edgecoc said:

Anyone else excited the Slaanesh storyline might finally be moving again?

I certainly am, even had some initial thoughts of the perhaps to be new Keeper of Secrets. Though having said that, it's way, way too early to be hyped allready because all Khorne, Tzeentch and Nurgle releases have never appeared earlier as summer and this means we are still at least 6 months away from anything Slaanesh.

Now with this in mind though I do think we could at least discuss some of the new designs. What is also cool is that 40K has provided some new Slaanesh artwork for the Masque and Herald, so if you guys want to see that, feel free to ask.

First things first though, what do you guys think should happen to the Keeper of Secrets? Stating this I'd happily discuss Warscrolls but initially want to discuss visual designs.

My personal best guess so far is that it will be roughly as tall as the current Exalted Keeper of Secrets is from Forgeworld, as there is no real reason to make it much smaller, considring the Exalted KoS is allready the smallest Greater Daemon from FW.

For visual reference I expect Games Workshop to follow the two personal coolest KoS pieces I think we've seen so far:
7ba0b82b833903f75fcc570e0cf99b51.jpg

image.png.d87cacac8857bd1b4d70d557cb611880.png

So what I hope to expect is that the kit (like the GUO and LoC) will have two torso options, one 'male' and one 'female'. Note that I do expect the ****** to be covered or indeed have eyes much like the AoS artwork above.

In addition I think that there will be some interesting Character variant which might or might not have the 'squidface':
14639427979560.jpg

In terms of weapons I think we can expect:
- 2x Claws
- Sword
- Gauntlet (magic booster) or Whip (of Slaanesh) option

Now have to admit, this is all wishfull thinking but hey, I think it's always better to be hopeful than be annoyed.

Cheers,

Trying to put together an all cavalry list with chaos knights and marauder horsemen. Realised Slaanesh is best suited for this type of army so have put something together with Slaanesh cavalry as well. How can I improve on the following???;

Allegiance: Slaanesh / Host: Invaders (3 x Generals)
Keeper Of Secrets (280)
- General
- Trait: Devotee of Torment 
- Artefact: Breathtaker 
Lord Of Slaanesh On Daemonic Mount (140)- General
Chaos Lord On Daemonic Mount (140) - General, mark of Slaanesh
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (160)- mark of Slaanesh, mounted on Chaos Steed (could upgrade to Manticore version with the 40 points left over but I dont rate the spell or own the model).

5 x Hellstriders Of Slaanesh (100) - Battleline
- Claw spear & Shield
5 x Hellstriders Of Slaanesh (100)- Battleline
- Hellscourge & Shield
- Hellscourge & Shield
10 x Chaos Knights (320)
- Chaos Glaives
10 x Chaos Knights (320)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
5 x Chaos Marauder Horsemen (90)
- Javelin & Shield
- Javelin & Shield
5 x Seekers Of Slaanesh (120)

Total: 1960 / 2000

12 hours ago, Agent of Chaos said:

Trying to put together an all cavalry list with chaos knights and marauder horsemen. Realised Slaanesh is best suited for this type of army so have put something together with Slaanesh cavalry as well. How can I improve on the following???;

Allegiance: Slaanesh / Host: Invaders (3 x Generals)
Keeper Of Secrets (280)
- General
- Trait: Devotee of Torment 
- Artefact: Breathtaker 
Lord Of Slaanesh On Daemonic Mount (140)- General
Chaos Lord On Daemonic Mount (140) - General, mark of Slaanesh
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (160)- mark of Slaanesh, mounted on Chaos Steed (could upgrade to Manticore version with the 40 points left over but I dont rate the spell or own the model).

5 x Hellstriders Of Slaanesh (100) - Battleline
- Claw spear & Shield
- Hellscourge & Shield
- Hellscourge & Shield
10 x Chaos Knights (320)
- Chaos Glaives
10 x Chaos Knights (320)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
- Javelin & Shield
- Javelin & Shield
5 x Seekers Of Slaanesh (120)

Total: 1960 / 2000

This is pretty much the same list I take except 2 very big differences. 

I drop the seekers and horsemen for an exalted KOS and pleasure bound battalion. 

The reason for this is that you can get her to a 2+ rerollable and it gives you a third threat that doesn't need buffs to hit hard since she always buffs herself. 

She is also mobile and give her the trait where she can pile in from 6 makes her absolute filth. 

Pleasurebound is pretty useless but the extra 3" pile in helps with the big bases of the knights. Additionally it drops you to a 3 drop army meaning you are choosing who is going first most of the time. 

I find this iteration a strong upper mid tier list. Won't win tournaments but has enough firepower and resilience to beat tzeentch storm cast and KO. The knights with 3 buffs wreck anything with less than a 3+ save and are great objective blockers. 

Interesting... how many points is the battalion? Slaanesh artifacts are fairly unimpressive so using a battalion doesn't excite me too much, unless the abilities are worth it.

Do you ever consider using the Seekers host for the movement buff or is it not needed? I was concerned about being forced to charge if within 12", particularly for the marauder horsemen who will be trying to hang back and throw their javelins.

14 hours ago, Agent of Chaos said:

Interesting... how many points is the battalion? Slaanesh artifacts are fairly unimpressive so using a battalion doesn't excite me too much, unless the abilities are worth it.

Do you ever consider using the Seekers host for the movement buff or is it not needed? I was concerned about being forced to charge if within 12", particularly for the marauder horsemen who will be trying to hang back and throw their javelins.

Battalion is only 100 points. Which for the tactical low drops is as cheap as they will get. The second smartefact is nice but as you say not why you take it. 

I have considered the movement trait but you need to load up on stuff that can dish out the pain mostly unbuffed which knights don't. The way to get around the 12 inch mandatory charge is to just always run which means you cant charge. As if you are not tying to charge within 12 inches you are clearly trying to block. 

I have not played them but marauder horsemen with javelins aren't going to bring enough ranged threat. I see them as road blocks and late objectives grabbers. 90 points with a relatively big base area makes great tactical blockers. 

After my second game in a local league I can say I'm liking a lot how Slaanesh plays in AoS. At the end I'm just playing at 750 points, but I think we have some very solid units and mechanics. 

In my first game I murderised a Seraphon army, as I basically chose all my charges thanks to my superior mobility and he was light in shooting, so only got into combats I could win.

My second game was a mission from the random mission cards which was very similar to the relic from 40k. I was playing against Sylvaneth, so I was scared he would deep strike into the objective through a wyldwood. However I had first turn, so I sprinted to it with my Hellstriders and spent the rest of the games tying their units up while my Hellstriders ran away. Giving me a victory even though they were the only unit to survive.

Overall I think it's a very fun army to play thanks to their mobility and shenanigans, though I'm a bit scared of facing a shooting army.

20 hours ago, The Traitor said:

After my second game in a local league I can say I'm liking a lot how Slaanesh plays in AoS. At the end I'm just playing at 750 points, but I think we have some very solid units and mechanics. 

In my first game I murderised a Seraphon army, as I basically chose all my charges thanks to my superior mobility and he was light in shooting, so only got into combats I could win.

My second game was a mission from the random mission cards which was very similar to the relic from 40k. I was playing against Sylvaneth, so I was scared he would deep strike into the objective through a wyldwood. However I had first turn, so I sprinted to it with my Hellstriders and spent the rest of the games tying their units up while my Hellstriders ran away. Giving me a victory even though they were the only unit to survive.

Overall I think it's a very fun army to play thanks to their mobility and shenanigans, though I'm a bit scared of facing a shooting army.

Facing a shooting army is a bit 50/50 for me (dwarfs and skryre for me). Because of the speed, my opponent really needs to spread his chaff to prevent me getting behind his lines. But by doing so, he really, really limits his moving. In objective games (which we play exclusively) I threaten going around his flanks in phases, meanwhile capturing objectives by hiding behind terrain until the time is right. Really satisfying when it works!... but like I said 50/50. Good priority selection means I lose a flank, opening him up to Claim objectives, forcing me to come out of cover or ignore his warmachines, and both are not good. 

On 2/3/2018 at 12:48 AM, MaxPounder said:

Battalion is only 100 points. Which for the tactical low drops is as cheap as they will get. The second smartefact is nice but as you say not why you take it. 

I have considered the movement trait but you need to load up on stuff that can dish out the pain mostly unbuffed which knights don't. The way to get around the 12 inch mandatory charge is to just always run which means you cant charge. As if you are not tying to charge within 12 inches you are clearly trying to block. 

I have not played them but marauder horsemen with javelins aren't going to bring enough ranged threat. I see them as road blocks and late objectives grabbers. 90 points with a relatively big base area makes great tactical blockers. 

That is brilliant! If moving within 12" but dont want to be forced to attempt a charge, make them run! Wish I had thought of that...

Only problem is it would mean the marauder horsemen couldnt throw their javelins anyway. I know full well they won't do a heap of damage, just wanted them to still be in the game while hanging back on objectives or blocking flanks. And who knows?! Sometimes a couple of extra wounds is all it takes to finish a hero or unit... 

On 2/1/2018 at 8:19 AM, MaxPounder said:

The reason for this is that you can get her to a 2+ rerollable and it gives you a third threat that doesn't need buffs to hit hard since she always buffs herself. 

How do you get the 2+ re-rollable?  Mystic Shield and something?

I have noticed a trend with Exalted Keepers being popular in I think both AoS and 40k.  Do they stand out that much?  I have always been tempted to pick one up.

Long time lurker, first time poster here, and I just wanted to get the community's opinion on an idea. How do we feel about a chariot-heavy Slaanesh Daemons army? From what I can tell they hit like a ton of bricks with the amount of Mortal Wounds they can throw out (especially the Exalted), and have decent fighting ability when they get stuck in. Staying power is a problem, but then again, #Slaanesh...

A 2000 list I was thinking of looks something like this:

Keeper of Secrets
Herald on Exalted Chariot
2 x 30 Daemonettes
3 x 1 Exalted Chariots
1 x 3 Hellflayers
2 x 1 Hellflayers
2 x 5 Hellstriders with Rapturing Banner

Lots of fast units to scoot around, herd units and to generally be a nuisance while  objective grabbing in the latter stage of the game if they survive. But also still a bunch of punch there in the Daemonette hordes and charging chariots - I think anyway...

I was thinking or running it as a Seekers cohort for the additional move and charge bonuses, but at the same time this is very much TheoryHammer. I haven't given much thought to artefacts and Command Traits yet.

So, how would you build an army around Slaanesh chariots? I very much intend to give it a go at some point. I already have all of the models plus a ton more (I've got a pretty sizeable Slaanesh Daemons army I use for 40k).

Looks like a really solid list and cool concept. The Seeker host will make you lightning fast and is a good option. The Pretenders host could also be good for you to beef up the KoS and ensure more hits from the daemonette units.

In some scenarios you may find yourself a little light on for heroes so might be good to get at least one more Herald in there somewhere.

Archived