Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, shadowgra said:

5 Blightkings are cool for tanking ,(21 w) and not for damage. By far the best battleline in the book :)

Well I really believe they are as good as Plaguebearers. But the army composition will decide which of the two one ideally wants to use. What I do think is super awesome and gives them that additional extra push to not bother with summonning is Gutrot Spume.

At the same time, as discussed before, the GUO in my opinion is amongst the best generals in the game and within this book. Breath of Pestilence is amazing, there are also a great ammount of Artefacts that are incredibly awesome with them. With a GUO a Bearer bomb or two is absolutely awesome.

36 minutes ago, Spiny Norman said:

But do you really need another tanking next to 60 Plaguebearers and a GUO?

Offcourse! It allows you to then skip on Battalions, not worry about drops and basically slowely choke/tarpit your opponent to death while he's losing support Heroes by the turn. To me this is the true power Nurgle has that is unique to them. 

1 hour ago, Spiny Norman said:

BK's are by far the best Troops on the book. But I don't want to spam 30 of them, I like my list like yours: wide and colorful.

But here's a thought:

Throw the LoAfflictions away, get a demon prince....he's a mage. So you can drop the Poxwalker or the Sorcerer. So you free 180 points and could upgrade the BK's to a 10 men unit, which should be a decent enough hammer.

- LIST -

20 sparepoints, but whatever.

Having 10x BK's seems like a bigger threat for dishing out pain.

Great list! List looks epic and there is indeed some manouvreability in heroes and such but it doesn't matter all too much.

The fact of the matter to me remains that Maggotkin of Nurgle easily has as much design flexability as Blades of Khorne has. Maby more! As the very functional Named Characters in Maggotkin are many but easily all are as effective as a regular Hero with a powerful Artefact attached :) This is also a pro quite unique to Nurgle. Stormcast probably have the same advantage but having a ton of Named Characters makes up for the arguable lack of a lot of competitive Battalion choices. Though in all honesty not all armies have great Battalion choices to begin with. 

Cheers!

I've been spending some time looking at the battalions. I don't think they are bad, but they do compete with units for points in a big way. The various 'Cyst' ones have some potential if you really want to lean into that tactic, but you are pigeonholing your list in a big way.  I think we'll see competitive lists with some of these battalions, but they aren't an absolute like with other armies. 

30 minutes ago, Killax said:

Breath of Pestilence is amazing, there are also a great ammount of Artefacts that are incredibly awesome with them. With a GUO a Bearer bomb or two is absolutely awesome.

@Killax would you rather put Breath on a GUO general or Resilient on Glottkin general in a tarpit/Plaguebomb/MW list (see above :D) ?

16 minutes ago, Peegee said:

@Killax would you rather put Breath on a GUO general or Resilient on Glottkin general in a tarpit/Plaguebomb/MW list (see above :D) ?

I think Breath, it just means Guo can only effectively be countered by oppossing monsters really.

2 minutes ago, Peegee said:

Always confused with that name, who calls himself The Someone ? Seriously...

Glottkin is not his name, is the kin of the Glott's family: otto, ethrac and ghurk :)

Btw THE is there so you don't dare mistaking them for anyone else! 2 big fat guys on top of a fat giant are so common these days  xD

20 minutes ago, Killax said:

I think Breath, it just means Guo can only effectively be countered by oppossing monsters really.

Would this be only on the combat build GUO? (sword/flail) I simply think that Tome of a thousand poxes works better on the support dude (bell/blade)

2 minutes ago, Tasman said:
25 minutes ago, Killax said:

Would this be only on the combat build GUO? (sword/flail) I simply think that Tome of a thousand poxes works better on the support dude (bell/blade)

Completely agree :) tho breath is a trait and tome an artefact so you can have both :)

I suggest you the endless gift that is reeeally strong. Just won't die!

23 minutes ago, Tasman said:

Breath is a Command Trait, add Tome on top and be really nasty :)

13 minutes ago, Aaron Schmidt said:

Yeah, I flip flop between Breath and Endless Gift. Very hard to choose. 

What I like about Breath is the swarm awnser and using Pleaguebearers otherwise to bubblewrap the GUO from monsters.

Though many options are around. Im really thinking about a Witherstave vs Tome impact. Both are really good. Im leaning towards Tome though or an Artefact for another guy. GUO will be a prime must get target anyway thanks to his Command Ability.

Having a sneaky backup plan is awesome too.

Firstly, hello to everyone... This is my first post (long time lurker!) so please be gentle! :D

Secondly, in regards to the Maggotkin of Nurgle... In a Nurgle force can I take anything as long as it has the 'Nurgle' keyword?

Let me explain a little. I haven't played AoS before but I am old enough to remember when the Realms of Chaos books were first released. In fact I can remember the first Great Unclean One model being released! O.o All the new Nurgle 'goodies' over the last couple of years has piqued my interest in the game and I'd like to start collecting a small force (though whether it will stay small or not is another matter!). My question about the keyword relates to the fact that I only tend to collect and paint models I like so in theory would I be able to put together a force consisting of, say, a GUO, a Skaven Plague Priest, Blightkings, Nurglings and Beasts? I'm not looking for anything competitive, just something I can throw down at the local club and have a giggle with.

May the Grandfather grant you the best poxes!  

15 minutes ago, betterZthanDeaD said:

Firstly, hello to everyone... This is my first post (long time lurker!) so please be gentle! :D

Secondly, in regards to the Maggotkin of Nurgle... In a Nurgle force can I take anything as long as it has the 'Nurgle' keyword?

Let me explain a little. I haven't played AoS before but I am old enough to remember when the Realms of Chaos books were first released. In fact I can remember the first Great Unclean One model being released! O.o All the new Nurgle 'goodies' over the last couple of years has piqued my interest in the game and I'd like to start collecting a small force (though whether it will stay small or not is another matter!). My question about the keyword relates to the fact that I only tend to collect and paint models I like so in theory would I be able to put together a force consisting of, say, a GUO, a Skaven Plague Priest, Blightkings, Nurglings and Beasts? I'm not looking for anything competitive, just something I can throw down at the local club and have a giggle with.

May the Grandfather grant you the best poxes!  

Yes you can. The Maggotkin of Nurgle works off of the keyword <Nurgle>, so you have ALOT of options, besides the ones in the Battletome. :-)

Glotkin's Horrific opponent is: 

"Horrific Opponent: At the start of the combat phase, roll 2D6 for each enemy unit within 7" of this model. If the roll is greater than that unit’s Bravery characteristic, subtract 1 from hit rolls for that unit in that combat phase"

If my Harbinger with Carrion Dirge Artefact (-2 to bravery of all units within 12") would that affect the roll of Horrific opponent?

3 minutes ago, shadowgra said:

No because bravery characteristic is the unmodified value on the warscroll :)

Works exactly like cloying quagmire

Carrion Dirge reduces the "Bravery characteristic" Does this make a difference? As opposed to curse of the leper and rustfang which reduce the " save roll"

2 minutes ago, Ryan Taylor said:

The dirge reduces the Characteristic so would work imo. It's not just reduce the bravery of units within range. 

right... and combine with the hideous visage command trait (another -2 to bravery CHARACTERISITC) would be -2  bravery within 12" and -4 bravery within 3".

A harbinger next to glotkin would be INSANE in a plaguetouched warband. next to bloab for potential -3 plus healing and it would be soooo hard to kill.

1 minute ago, shadowgra said:

Nvm re-read it and it stacks :)

Tho it means that you have to sacrifice a difensive artefact on harbinger, better put it onto another hero that isn't the general :)

I am glad others see it the same way I do. I'm not sure I understand your point about the artefact though? The dirge has a long range (12") which is good because my harbinger usually hangs back out of combat unless necessary.  The command trait is the short range one.. but I want to try grandfathers blessing a bit anyway. 

6 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

I am glad others see it the same way I do. I'm not sure I understand your point about the artefact though? The dirge has a long range (12") which is good because my harbinger usually hangs back out of combat unless necessary.  The command trait is the short range one.. but I want to try grandfathers blessing a bit anyway. 

He will be focused hard by shooting so i think that giving him endless gift/splithorn helm/witherstave which can work against shooting is better (or at least it is for the way i play with him :) )

Archived