Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys !

Now that we have the (almost) complete leaks on the Battletome, I'm starting experimenting with the new stuff.

Here is the first list I'd like to try (not totally sure about the points cost) :

Allegiance: Nurgle

Leaders

Harbinger of Decay (140) - Blight Cyst
- General

- Grandfather's Blessing (wheel control)

-The Fecund Flask (heal all wounds on 2+)

Rotbringers Sorcerer (100) - Blight Cyst

- Muttergrub (extra spell)

Lord of Blight (140) - Blight Cyst

Battleline

20 x Putrid Blightkings (580) - Blight Cyst
- Nurgle Battleline
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160) - Blight Cyst
- Nurgle Battleline
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160) - Blight Cyst
- Nurgle Battleline

30 x Plaguebearers Of Nurgle (320)
-
 Nurgle Battleline

Battalions

Blight Cyst (220)

Total: 1820 / 2000

Options for the spare 180 pts  :

Gutrot Spume for deepstrike mechanic

Another Sorcerer for 3rd spell

5 more Blightkings

I feel like the Plaguebearers are mandatory for footprint on the board but maybe Plague Drones are more potent to block the road earlier.

Anyway I want to try a Daemon list too (with or without Tallyband).

What do you think ?

Looks really cool!

With those leftover points, you could also throw a Plagueclaw Catapult in there if you wanted, or a Chaos Sorcerer Lord - He's fantastic on the table!

You might want the new scrivener to go with your plaguebearers to activate their locus and help buff the poor buggers. They're more expensive now, but not much better without playing to their newfound strengths.

Of course, if you just want cheap bodies on the table for objectives and the like, Chaos Marauders are just 60 points per 10 models!

List looks cool to me too. Though I don't know if you really want one 20 Blightknight unit. It's great but at the same time to heavily costed that opponents who can hold it at bay for a couple of turns might eventually win on Objectives because that unit can't be everywhere. The only unit I feel that can be this big and very competitive are those who can teleport. Which if I recall correctly is something Stormcast can do.

Other than that though I think there is a lot of room for tons of considerations. For example I think the Plaguebearer Drones are also a very worthy consideration here. They get more attacks from the Lord of Affliction also because he logically has the Daemonic Keyword. This makes for quite an awesome hero hunting party that I believe is the only thing that Nurgle can suffer from if you don't thake a GUO/Rotigus.

What I love is that the Blight Trees add that board control, remove a part of Nurgle's weakness and basically incorporates a really character hating system within Nurgle all things considered.

What I love is that the first two small battlereports of MoN are also up:

19 minutes ago, shadowgra said:

Meh i still don't like them that much but they have a use right now. What i do think is a massive fail is the beast tho.... For 100 points each they are so massively unimpressive.

Yeah, the great thing about the beasts was their flexibility at a pretty low point value compared to Nurglings. 100 points is a big bump up. 

1 hour ago, Killax said:

They get more attacks from the Lord of Blights also because he logically has the Daemonic Keyword. This makes for quite an awesome hero hunting party that I believe is the only thing that Nurgle can suffer from if you don't thake a GUO/Rotigus.

I think he doesn't get the Keyword but I totally agree on the Drones. They're even stronger with a GUO as General, you get +2 attacks on each weapon. You just need the Rotbringer Sorcerer to get the MW rain coming : 12 attacks/2 MW each, that's worth it ^^

1 hour ago, Aaron Schmidt said:

Oh man. Great vids. 

What do you all think of Nurglings?

Great to harras and/or summon for Ovjectives. So they are good, not mandatory but good.

1 hour ago, shadowgra said:

Meh i still don't like them that much but they have a use right now. What i do think is a massive fail is the beast tho.... For 100 points each they are so massively unimpressive.

Hmmm well you dont really need them either. I do believe he still serves a good purpose, but there is so much great stuff in this Battletome you can skip them if you want to. By comparison Tzeentch and Khorne have similar 'competitive mweh' choices.

The beast may have some uses just harras some units. If you take 2 keep them as individual units working together to annoy specific units. You need to charge in retreat and charge again with them. They can run,retreat and charge with the new slime rule retreats on 4+ do d3 mortal wounds. With 2 that's a chance to do 2d3 mw. Then charge them back in or charge another unit. They just have a play style most people don't use. I hardly ever see people in vids use the retreat.

21 minutes ago, Poryague said:

The beast may have some uses just harras some units. If you take 2 keep them as individual units working together to annoy specific units. You need to charge in retreat and charge again with them. They can run,retreat and charge with the new slime rule retreats on 4+ do d3 mortal wounds. With 2 that's a chance to do 2d3 mw. Then charge them back in or charge another unit. They just have a play style most people don't use. I hardly ever see people in vids use the retreat.

the tactic is fine and whatever but for those 200 points i can take 3 drones that with locus do 8 attacks each and can be buffed pretty strongly. the amount of brute strenght they put is way more useful for me, since we always had problem breaking through lines. a unit of 6 drones with guo command and locus will do 66 attacks. add blades of putrefaction for more fun.

1 hour ago, shadowgra said:

a unit of 6 drones with guo command and locus will do 66 attacks. add blades of putrefaction for more fun.

I feel like it's the strongest combo of the Battletome. I plan on using that with a Tallyband for first turn choice (either taking it or leaving it)

2 minutes ago, Peegee said:

I feel like it's the strongest combo of the Battletome. I plan on using that with a Tallyband for first turn choice (either taking it or leaving it)

This is kinda what I want to do, but I can’t really make it work within the points. What else is going into your list?

4 minutes ago, Vomikron Noxis said:

This is kinda what I want to do, but I can’t really make it work within the points. What else is going into your list?

Allegiance: Nurgle

Leaders
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
Herald (100) - still wondering which one
Rotbringers Sorcerer (100)

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers Of Nurgle (320)
10 x Plaguebearers Of Nurgle (120)
10 x Plaguebearers Of Nurgle (120)

Units
9 x Plague Drones Of Nurgle (600) - maybe 1 unit of 6 and 1 of 3
3 x Nurglings (100)

Battalions
Tallyband of Nurgle (200)

Total: 2000 / 2000

It's a 2 drops army with a lot of footprint, alpha strike possibility, board management and resilience. Need to try it but I feel confident it's a strong draft.

Archived